March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Regarding Premades Lore Updates

Comments

• KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    I doubt this will impact my game in any kind of meaningful way. I've hardly read the bios we DO have. I have a lot of saves, with many families in all of them, and I have premade sims in most of them, usually added by marriage.

Oh hey, if they make Johnny have links etc. with the other Landgraabs, that means I don't have to fiddle around with mods and cheats to set that up when I start new saves. But yeah, other than that....my care for the backstories is very low, always has been. Except in TS2, which was awesome with stories and interconnected drama between sims/families. Don't think TS4 will ever get to that level. Also don't have much hope for TS5 in that regard.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited August 2021
    What made the premades in TS2 interesting to me were the scripted events. It was just epic how in the Pleasant household, the maid asked Daniel to hang out, then Mary-Sue would get a chance card that would always result in her getting fired and catching Daniel with Kaylynn. It showed how the scenarios can play out and was sort of like having a tutorial without it feeling like one. I liked having those storylines set up for me, while having the option to do my own thing and ignore them. If we had scripted events in TS4 I would play the premades just to check that out, but I don’t know if updated bios are really going to do it for me, and unless they fix sentiments so they stick until you play that household, they could be gone before I even notice them.
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 370 Member
    I dig it. I've already got a save file of my own where I've got a bunch of sims either reset to their earlier versions from earlier games (like the Pleasants), or put in families that were in previous versions but not this one (like the Smiths) or changed the skin color to match earlier versions (like Cassandra Goth), or some combination thereof.

I know their update won't affect that. If I want the Pancakes to dislike each other, I'll have to go in and fix that myself.

But hopefully it'll include *non-reciprocal relationships* so they can do things like have Summer and Liberty both crushing on Travis, who is totally unaware they're interested in him. That would be a pretty major overhaul to how relationships and romantic interactions worked, though.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited August 2021
    I was about to add that these updates wouldn't affect me because in my game all pre-mades are essentially only temporary placeholders for my own sims, but then I had a thought. It would affect me if they were to make some or all of the pre-mades non-editable (and possibly also immortal) from here on out. I hope that thought doesn't become reality, because such a move on the company's part would be just too... stupid? Ugh, I'm not doing a good job of encouraging myself here. At any rate, if that should happen, it'll be the unexpected terminus of my Sims 4 journey.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • LizziguinLizziguin Posts: 1,126 Member
    I'd rather they put their resources and efforts into making the likes/dislike system actually do what it's supposed to, a sim that dislikes something shouldn't autonomously do it anyway.
    Maybe they should actually focus on making the autonomous actually function properly, yet something else that should have been developed from the beginning.

You'd think from all the things in Sims 2 and 3, they would have made a better effort in giving the proper basics and social interactions/relationships. I feel like Sims 4 is a joke to the long time players and only care about new players who don't understand what they are missing out on from previous series.

It's really sad honestly, but EA is a terrible company as is cause they only care about the money.
    Overall, they'll do what they want so I guess sure, I'd be okay with the update :/ :eyeroll:
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see some of y'all saying you're not interested in the lore updates, this is honestly huge news in my personal opinion. As it is now, townies in the default save are exactly that, default. They all have default relationships with one another, default features according to what packs they came in, etc. and for a simulation game, when everything starts in the default, it tends to stay in the default, especially in Sims 4. This news really excites me because they have added many features since the launch of the base game that are simply absent from the majority of the game, making a large portion of the game, at least in a new save, feel very incomplete to me. For one, Sims released before Snowy Escape/Dream Home Decorator are completely void of two of the biggest personality additions to the game, sentiments and likes/dislikes, sims outside Windenburg won't be found in clubs, lots pre lot trait patch don't have any lot traits, pets aren't found anywhere outside of Brindleton bay, sims pre seasons don't have hot/cold weather outfits or preferences, Sims lack relevant reputation and celebrity levels (even after the release of Get Famous), sims lack relevant university degrees, every neighborhood outside of Evergreen harbour is in a neutral state, Sims don't have lifestyles, or character value traits, basically there are a lot of gaps and inconsistencies in the base save, I don't think many players realize how much these additions would add to the overall experience. Ideally they would also work with game changers to renovate most of the terrible, terrible, terrible lots as well. That's saying they go this in depth with each sim/household, I don't expect they will, but any kind of update to the lore will be much appreciated to me.

Yes, but isn't this only going to effect "new saves"? Some people (such as myself) have been playing this game for 7 years with the same saves, some of them play with the same save since 2014, these changes won't show up in their game, right?

Do you always create new saves?

I would assume this lore update would only affect new saves, so for those who have been playing the same save files for years now I can see how this update would seem irrelevant to them. I do tend to create different save games for different reasons. I have gotten into the habit of downloading custom save files for my new games since they tend to do a much better job at 'filling in the gaps', only problem with these custom save files is they were clearly created for a playstyle different than my own, so I often struggle having fun in them depending on how I wish to play my game. Custom save files will always be fun to explore and play with, but this lore update should theoretically rid me of the need for them.
  • skelebeeskelebee Posts: 101 Member
    The lore was such an integral part of the earlier games and really made them special. It made the worlds feel so vast and alive. I hope this update isn't a let-down and they actually go in and fix the families, add relationships with other townies, hopefully add ancestors to the family trees, maybe even fix the timeline issue. But I won't hold my breath.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Why can't they just focus on fixing what's broken before they start mucking around with our control over our Sims and stories? Every time I see 'Base Game Update' I have nightmares. They'll spend all that time and effort on making up stories we'd rather tell than fixing everything they broke. I call that deflection. If they can divert our attention away from what we need to see happen to what is easiest for them to do, it makes their lives much easier. I don't like the sound of this. And if it bothers anyone else as much as it bothers me, speak up now. If this happens, every premade and townie in my game will be blocked or deleted. I delete almost all of them now, so doing it doesn't bother me. But I don't like the feeling of having my game getting hijacked like this at all.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    Why can't they just focus on fixing what's broken before they start mucking around with our control over our Sims and stories? Every time I see 'Base Game Update' I have nightmares. They'll spend all that time and effort on making up stories we'd rather tell than fixing everything they broke. I call that deflection. If they can divert our attention away from what we need to see happen to what is easiest for them to do, it makes their lives much easier. I don't like the sound of this. And if it bothers anyone else as much as it bothers me, speak up now. If this happens, every premade and townie in my game will be blocked or deleted. I delete almost all of them now, so doing it doesn't bother me. But I don't like the feeling of having my game getting hijacked like this at all.

Because they have different teams. They can't just fire the Update team and the EP/GP/SP/Kit teams and just focus on bugs.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    Kinda late to the party, but least it'll help the pre-mades feel more rounded. Only ever keep a few premades around or they usually don't last when I have lifespan active. I assume they'll add things like certain sentiments and proper relationships to the existing pre-mades for when you start a new save. Example: Don Lothario actually having a romantic relationship with all the Caliente women in the household. Or Johnny Zest having connection with the Landgraab family.

Any and all improvements to the base game is always welcomed.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,808 Member
    Who is Iggy?
    gen3-banner.png
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    I never got into the lore. When I played TS2 & realized the stories didn't play out scripted I quickly got bored amde my own sims and ignored the premades. Plus the lore just wasn't my taste or style of game play. If they are going to have real lore they will have to script the premades, which may make them get real stale after awhile.

Also, hope that "fix" only happens in new games and not in saved games. Because I already connected Johnny Zest to the Landgraabs as Nancy's son and a different father. His father has a brother. His father and uncle are celebrities live in Strangerville, one of them is possessed and they all wear skirts - not queer, just like wearing skirts.

wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Iggy Pancakes, Bob And Eliza’s son. EA uploaded him to the gallery for the toddler patch.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,808 Member
    @AyKooChao Oh, cool. Thanks!
    gen3-banner.png
  • Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    I wonder how far this update will go and how exactley it will effect premade Sims...
    And what about those Sims already dead in ma game? I play the same safe since the beginning or will it only effect new saves? I think EA should clarify this before the update drops.
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited August 2021
    Okay there is one thing I would like them to change actually since they are doing this:

make Agnes Crumplebottom (or sim in agnes crumplebottom role) angry at sims doing romantic stuff in public in same room as her again

she only gets angry baggity slappity at sims flirting with her not sims flirting with each other next to her

which is very incorrect
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Okay there is one thing I would like them to change actually sinxe they are doing this:

make Agnes Crumplebottom angry at sims doing romantic stuff in public in same room as her again

she only gets angry baggity slappity at sims flirting with her not sims flirting with each other next to her

which is very incorrect

No, she's totally against PDA in general. She slapped my sim at his own wedding because he dared to kiss his bride 😂 maybe you need to be close to her though?
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited August 2021
    somewhsome wrote: »
    Okay there is one thing I would like them to change actually sinxe they are doing this:

make Agnes Crumplebottom angry at sims doing romantic stuff in public in same room as her again

which is very incorrect

No, she's totally against PDA in general. She slapped my sim at his own wedding because he dared to kiss his bride 😂 maybe you need to be close to her though?

she was literally next to the shed my sims woohooed in and just smiled happily :sweat_smile: i even repeated it few times trying to get her to react for screenshot :disappointed:

wait actually maybe i was supposed to be on community lot and thats why it didn't work cause its not "public" enough for her

i shall test it again
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »

which is very incorrect

she was literally next to the shed my sims woohooed in and just smiled happily :sweat_smile: i even repeated it few times trying to get her to react for screenshot :disappointed:

What? 😅 How weird. You can't have a bug with Agnes having clones? Because I think her clones don't have that special NPC role and react as normal sims.
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    I understand that some people get into the lore but I'm not in that camp. I always regarded the Sims as completely non-linear and more of a toy than a game with distinct objectives. That (to me) was one of its strengths, and the reason why I've had all 4 versions.
    To me, the lore is what you decide, your stories about your characters. If they intersect some of the townies, hey, that's great. But like @alanmichael1 suggested, you can omit it entirely and it doesn't take away from your game.
    I wouldn't call it a waste of resources, but I can see how it would only have appeal to a part of the Sims audience. It's the same deal if you added a new gravel texture, new hairstyle or a new trait.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I actually don't care for lore, unpopular opinion. I never played any households besides my own in 2 3 or 4.

That being said, I love when premade sims have distinct personalities, big examples being Agnes, Agatha, Unsavory charlatan, and also Bess in eco living.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    I actually don't care for lore, unpopular opinion. I never played any households besides my own in 2 3 or 4.

That being said, I love when premade sims have distinct personalities, big examples being Agnes, Agatha, Unsavory charlatan, and also Bess in eco living.

Don't know if it is an unpopular opinion but I also ignored the pre made households in all the sims games and prefer to play families I create. So you are definitely not alone.

I may not be playing them but like to keep them around as background characters. Because of that I do want them to make sense. For example if the description of Johnny Zest says he is related to the landgraabs then I expect to see that link in the family tree. And if a family like the Goths or Calientes are returning from older games, I expect them to be the same as in a same or similar personalities and the same family tree (Katrina caliente just replaced another sim from sims 2).

I am wondering how much they will change and when this change will be coming.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited August 2021
    What do I think this means by revamping lore and appearance as they said they will be updating sims' looks as well.

First I think this means that they'll be adding actual relationships to sims. If you start a fresh game now Don Lothario and Katrina Caliente have no relationship even though their story states they are dating. Eliza and Bob Pancakes are happily married even though their story says they aren't.

Sentiments, at the moment only sims from Mt. K and HoB have sentiments but I can see them adding in Sentiments to sims to help build their initial stories.

Family ties, most households are independent and have no relation to each other. Now I don't think they plan to adding family relationships to that much of an extent but I can see them adding ties to some sims like maybe Zoey Patel is related to Raj and Geeta Rasoya. Another and obvious correction would be Johnny Zest who is suppose to be related to the Landgraabs but he has no relation to them and how he is related is unclear. We may found out if he is their son, cousin, or Nancy's brother. Plus now that toddlers are in the game they could offical add Iggy to the Pancake household rather then him being just a downloaded from the gallery.

Likes and Dislikes. They could finally adds them to all sims and maybe add even more Likes and Dislikes to help better defines sims.

New designs and preset Hot/Cold attire. They will be updating sims looks and I think this means that they will be giving them new outfits cause let's be honest the base game sims are kinda boring to look at compared to those added by packs. I also think this means that they will be giving them new hair, hair colors, and skintones to make use of them and make the game feel more diverse. This also means they can finally give all sims before seasons actual weather based attire instead of them just wearing randomly generated outfits.

New Households. This is unlikely but something that always bothered me if that when TS4 first came out we had all these promotional trailers intruding use to all these sims, Ollie and Cassy Purdue, Andre DaSilva, Amber Stein, Lacey Stiles, Babs L'Amour and so many more but once in game they are no where to be seen. I liked to see these sims be added to the game and even have some of them fill Newcrest. I know "Fill Newcrest? But it's our blank slate world" I would like it if when you started a new game you get asked if you wanted to have Newcrest filled or have it empty this way players who enjoy building Newcrest can and those who just want it filled with houses and households already won't have to struggle filling it in themselves cause trust me a lot of players don't touche Newcrest because it's empty by default.

Overall if this doesn't interest cause you never cared for lore or bothered to play premades then this update won't effect you, you can ignore the added lore and play as you normally do but many other players want the sims to have actual stories and relationship so they feel more connected to them and have an actual reason to play them and see what they can do those stories.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    For those scared that this will affect your game. This will most likely only affect new games. Reason being they can't directly change your game or better change the lots and Sims in your game. Why because sims and lots are specif to your game. Say you changed they Goth's home lot Ophelia Villa and turned it into a gym just because the sims team updated the original lot doesn't mean that your lot will be forcibly changed and same goes for sims just because they are updating the original Sims doesn't mean that your current game versions will be changed only newly generated one will be affected.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »

Because they have different teams. They can't just fire the Update team and the EP/GP/SP/Kit teams and just focus on bugs.

Team members are often assigned to different teams whenever the need arises. I didn't say anyone should be fired/let go. But when the bug fixing team is knee deep in bugs that are taking a very long time to fix, perhaps some fresh input is needed from members of the teams that created the packs/updates that gave us these bugs. They are the ones who created those packs/updates so they should have some idea of what went wrong, and why it happened. Seems only fair for them to be involved in helping out the bug fixing team. And is one more reason why I don't want another big update like story progression made to the base game unless I have the option to turn it off.