Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Remove the lactose intolerance trait from cottage living

Comments

• MashamakMashamak Posts: 10 New Member
    [quote="Serval;c-17929009"] Having my sim be allergic to fish seems like a fun detail to have in the game.[/quote]

If you have island Living and you pick the child of the ocean trait your sim gets negative moodlets whenever they eat fish.
  • MissSweetVioletMissSweetViolet Posts: 50 Member
    edited July 2021
    Mashamak wrote: »
    Serval wrote: »
    Having my sim be allergic to fish seems like a fun detail to have in the game.

If you have island Living and you pick the child of the ocean trait your sim gets negative moodlets whenever they eat fish.

I think you may have meant to post this in another thread? Wait nm, I'm in the wrong thread. XD
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I don't think they should remove the trait, I think it should still be in the game but not as a personality trait, ideally it should also be base game the way they made the vegetarian trait base game.

A little off topic, but why didn't the team patch in the unflirty trait into the base game? I mean cottage living added the most unflirty NPC known in the sims franchise, our iconic Misses Curmplebottom, yet she exists in game without any personality trait acknowledging her unflirty and single lifestyle.
  • Skittles13Skittles13 Posts: 3 New Member
    So I've read through a lot of the comments and can see where everyone is coming from, and I fully agree that lactose intolerance isn't a personality trait. I think it would be awesome if the sims team could add a disease/dietary tab and even maybe things like sexualities to the genetic options and it would be awesome to have your kids be born with things like asthma and lactose intolerance, but currently, we don't have options for things like that so I think we should be grateful that they added it to our game at all even if it isn't actually a personality trait irl.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited July 2021
    I think they are just trying to be inclusive. I have a different type of allergy and understand how serious they are but I really think the intent here was to make it possible to play with lactose intolerant sims. It is there to be ignored or not. I would guess that they will add likes and dislikes for foods eventually. As pointed out, allergies are not likes or dislikes. This is just a way for them to represent those who would like to add that to their sims either to represent themselves or to create their own stories.

Three traits is not a lot so I think it would be better to have 5 but maybe it would create performance issues.

Anyway, allergies are very serious but in this situation I am not sure how they could include this in a more sensitive way. Lactose intolerance is very common around the world. Additionally, with the new type of challenge there is more emphasis on customizing menus for each household.

I am just adding that playing with Sim characters isn't mocking anyone. Would it be preferable to be ignored?
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    I don't think they should remove the trait, I think it should still be in the game but not as a personality trait, ideally it should also be base game the way they made the vegetarian trait base game.

A little off topic, but why didn't the team patch in the unflirty trait into the base game? I mean cottage living added the most unflirty NPC known in the sims franchise, our iconic Misses Curmplebottom, yet she exists in game without any personality trait acknowledging her unflirty and single lifestyle.

I don't have vegetarian it's in it's own DLC pack, I have Base game, Batuu, Vampires, ROM, Spooky Stuff, Paranormal and Strangerville.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I agree that lactose intolerance isn't a personality trait, it's a type of allergy. Speaking of allergy, I have a dustmite allergy & that's why I extremely dislike the Bust the Dust & will never, ever get the kit. :s To me it was a horrorable idea.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I agree that lactose intolerance isn't a personality trait, it's a type of allergy. Speaking of allergy, I have a dustmite allergy & that's why I extremely dislike the Bust the Dust & will never, ever get the kit. :s To me it was a horrorable idea.

Dust bunny kit was a bad idea just like laundry day, like when did the sims ever needed to do laundry, the moment your sim showers the clothes automatically becomes clean or my first pet a DLC for a DLC, Heck we didn't even need 2 environmentalist packs, either keep island living or eco lifestyle but not both.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    @MissSweetViolet said:
    "For the lactose intolerance, and other food related things, I agree with those who think they should be a separate category from traits. We just got the likes/dislikes. I think a food preference/allergy category separate from traits would be cool. It would add more to the sim's overall roundedness without taking trait slots."

I think this would be a much better idea, allergies aren't a lifestyle choice or personality trait and they don't really fit there whereas vegetarianism is a lifestyle choice so it does fit in as a trait. I think moving food issue things into the likes and dislikes would make more sense.

As it is, the lactose intolerance thing is pretty in-your-face even if you don't select it. I'd like to see it less in-your-face with the food warning labels toned down or something, like foods simply labeled 'Milk' instead of the whole 'Lactose Intolerance' label.
    I do think the lactose intolerance was put in the game to be funny but it really isn't a funny issue. Food allergies can be a real drag irl and I'm sorry it was put into the game TBH.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »
    @MissSweetViolet said:
    "For the lactose intolerance, and other food related things, I agree with those who think they should be a separate category from traits. We just got the likes/dislikes. I think a food preference/allergy category separate from traits would be cool. It would add more to the sim's overall roundedness without taking trait slots."

I think this would be a much better idea, allergies aren't a lifestyle choice or personality trait and they don't really fit there whereas vegetarianism is a lifestyle choice so it does fit in as a trait. I think moving food issue things into the likes and dislikes would make more sense.

As it is, the lactose intolerance thing is pretty in-your-face even if you don't select it. I'd like to see it less in-your-face with the food warning labels toned down or something, like foods simply labeled 'Milk' instead of the whole 'Lactose Intolerance' label.
    I do think the lactose intolerance was put in the game to be funny but it really isn't a funny issue. Food allergies can be a real drag irl and I'm sorry it was put into the game TBH.

Lactose Intolerance is not a food allergy such as a threatening allergy to milk, or seafood, or nuts. Many people think it's in the category of food [/i]allergies, but it's not.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Bookworm2009189Bookworm2009189 Posts: 44 Member
    I don't like that it's a trait, it should be something else. However, I don't think EA thought that they were making a mockery or anything over a game trait. It is just a game, and let's face it, did we really expect much else? They just wanted to give us the lactose intolerant trait, so let's be grateful that they gave us anything at all.
  • EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    @MissSweetViolet said:

As someone with allergies, I completely agree with you except the part where you said to moving the lactose intolerance and food issues into the likes and dislikes. Nobody chooses what their allergies are. I think that food allergies and lactose intolerance needs to be removed from the game.
    Cinebar wrote: »

Lactose Intolerance is not a food allergy such as a threatening allergy to milk, or seafood, or nuts. Many people think it's in the category of food [/i]allergies, but it's not.

I know it isn't but other people don't always understand about food intolerances, so, for the sake of simplicity...
    EliteGirl wrote: »
    @MissSweetViolet said:

As someone with allergies, I completely agree with you except the part where you said to moving the lactose intolerance and food issues into the likes and dislikes. Nobody chooses what their allergies are. I think that food allergies and lactose intolerance needs to be removed from the game.

Remove it completely? Happyville (TS4) is very boring to me in many respects because there isn't much happening to Sims other than a player pushing around pixels with happy faces and happy moodlets dressing them and redressing them and pretending that's life.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    EliteGirl wrote: »

TBH, I seriously doubt they'll pull the lactose intolerance thing out of the game but maybe they'll listen to feedback and make it less obvious when not selected. It will probably be the best we can hope for.
    Why do people ask for things to be removed when they are completely optional? I will never understand such a selfish attitude. And I really do not understand EA altering the game for such people whilst ignoring the ones who do not want things nerfed.

I will probably never use the lactose intolerance trait as it brings too much hassle, like the vegetarian trait. But I understand that other people might enjoy the challenge, so why spoil it for them?

I am gluten intolerant and would not be offended if it got added into the game. Again, I wouldn't use it but others might like to.

The OP said it was offensive because they suffer from this and offended because it is listed as trait and that it is even in the game.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I am neutral in this case.

I don't find it offensive, although it is silly. I suppose if you don't like it, you could switch the trait for something else. The sims is a game and it is ideal to introduce some 'challenges'.

Although on the other hand, allergies/intolerances do share similarities with disabilities and the consensus on our community is to not include disabilities in the game. I believe disabilities will really change the dynamics of the game. Disabilities are a really complex issue and I believe this would spoil the fun of the game. I could see a lot of fighting arising from this also.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    LOL I can't believe this thread is still going...

As a lactose intolerant person, I know what to stay away from and I do so. If you treat the Sim in the same manner, you will not even experience the negative effects of the trait. What is the big deal??

Listen up to those who want to see disabilities, illnesses, etc. Don't even ASK ok? If this community cannot make it through a lactose intolerant trait, it will never make it through a sim being in a wheelchair.
  • SerenityVIIISerenityVIII Posts: 32 Member
    Milk Allergy and being lactose intolerant are two different medical conditions.

Milk Allergy - you carry an antibody in your blood that reacts to an antigen (what you are allergic to). These types of allergies can cause urticaria (swelling) and anaphylaxis which is life threatening. Like a peanut allergy for instance is an actual allergy and not a dietary condition. This can be tested by skin patch testing and or bloodwork.

Lactose intolerant - simply means your body doesn't produce enough Lactase (enzyme) to break down the Lactose (milk sugar). "Lactose free" products simply add this enzyme to their products (Lactase) and is what is in the tablets you can purchase at the Pharmacy. This is typically diagnosed by a food elimination trial as to my understanding does not show up on skin patch testing or bloodwork.

I would maybe question the inclusion of actual food allergies in the game as those can be fatal, however I do not see any issues adding Lactose Intolerance into the game, or being a Vegetarian.

With respect to it being a trait or a preference, I think it comes down to what is actually possible from a coding perspective. If it isn't broken or bugged, and it is working as a 'trait' then IMO leave well enough alone. If new categories are being added into the game then it makes it much more complex I would imagine from a coding perspective, and subject to bugs in game.

I do not believe this was intended to offend anyone by including this as a trait. By adding it into the game, even if it isn't in the manner that is preferable to some, it at least brings awareness to these conditions. That right there I think is a success in my view.

Disclaimer: The above is not intended to imply medical advice and I am not a medical professional. I have lactose intolerance and other allergies so I am just aware of the difference. I also do not want to diminish the effects from Lactose intolerance as this condition can cause extreme pain in addition to other complications when combined with other conditions and symptoms etc.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I'm lactose intolerant. It ain't fun, and can in fact be really awful. Luckily it doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but mainly because I limit what I eat and I use lactose free milk.

When I saw they were adding it to the traits I laughed, because, yeah, we are getting real cow milk, so of course someone will want their sim to get sick because of it. Then I thought what a waste of a trait slot. But I just realized it will be perfect for a sim I've had in mind. So, much to my surprise, I will gladly use it to torture this poor sim.

More choices are always good.

That said, more trait slots would be nice.
  • LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    As someone with severe health issues and several food allergies, I was kinda like mmm when I saw lactose intolerance. It's not a trait. It's a pain in the bum condition, that often comes with other allergies and diseases. And you don't get to choose it. And while, logically, it makes more sense to be unable to drink cows milk meant for calves than to be able to drink it. In this dairy heavy world, it sucks.
    So when I saw the early access playthroughs of sims going on themselves bc of their intolerance and having drunk milk, I was kinda ticked. It's not funny. Bowel problems aren't funny. And while it adds realism by not being able to eat certain things. The only real game play is pooing yourself. Which is irritating.
    Where's the trying soy ice cream and coconut milk ice cream to see which tastes better? Neither. Where's the accidentally eating something you're allergic to and running to the bathroom or being up all night. Where's the good feels from taking care of your body? Or trying those lactose pills that don't work 🙄?

They just threw it in like ooh " lactose intolerance "
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Smushy19Smushy19 Posts: 8 New Member
    I feel having lactose intolerance in the game is okay, but why make it a trait? Being lactose intolerant isn't a personality trait, it's an allergy that no one chooses to have. It just bothers me that they added this as a trait rather than something else
  • americanamelieamericanamelie Posts: 36 Member
    What is wrong with people?! Don't want a lactose intolerant sim, then don't give them the trait! Sims pooping themselves from this trait is probably not funny to most mature people, but teens/childish ppl playing this game might get a kick out of that. I bet some would use disabilities for entertainment as well. There are players who play just to make sims suffer. This makes me think about how much I hope disabilities DO NOT get added to the game.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Why is this still an ongoing thing? It's been discussed that the only way for them to add things in this game when it comes to the sims themselves AS OF RIGHT NOW is through traits. Would it be awesome if it was different? OF COURSE. Is Lactose intolerance a trait? Of course not and I say that as someone who suffers from it. I still cannot believe how sensitive the sims community has become. Y'all would have never lasted during the timeline of TS2. Everything would have upset you. lol
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".