Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop or Desktop?

12346...Next

Comments

• JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited July 2021
    Desktop
    everyone saying laptops are running smooth, i challenge you to have a look at your thermal paste.

That's the rub with laptops. The first challenge is opening up and not destroying the parts while so doing. The act itself voids the warranty so don't do it for the first few years.

And then you've just gotta hope the design they had even used thermal paste.

I'd swear none of the macBooks I've ever used did - after a few months the bottom would always start to warp out of shape from heating and the macBook would no longer sit flat on a table. Apple's official solution to 'fans make too much noise' was to remove them and say 'we're so cool, we can chill the CPU with our sunglasses.' And it works about as well as you'd expect...

If I didn't have to own macBooks, I wouldn't. I always recommend those little Mac Mini micro desktops to non-gamer / non-techie family members though. Even though it's easier to get a virus on a Mac now than it is on a PC, it's super easy to clean viruses out of Macs, but once a PC gets one, it's re-format and re-install time. So for all those people that call me at 3am and ask me what to click on their screen without telling me what's on their screen... I push really hard for them to use Macs. But I'd never use one myself if I didn't have to. But since xCode can only be installed on a Mac - even though I don't work in iOS, I work with people who do, so I need to know what's up from down.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Both
    everyone saying laptops are running smooth, i challenge you to have a look at your thermal paste.

My husband has opened mine and all looks good. He is really into maintaining the inside components. The thing is, I have a laptop that is geared for gaming. I do have a lap fan, but only use it "if" the laptop gets hot. It runs just as smooth as the gaming desktop.
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    Laptop
    This is what I play on. I upgraded last November,
    ASUS ROG Strix Scar 15 (2020) Gaming Laptop
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,075 Member
    edited July 2021
    Laptop
    I had a Lenovo Legion 5 Laptop until the screen went defective after 2 months but apart from that The Sims 4 ran swell.

I’m now looking to get this machine:
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9188026?clickPR=plp:8:33

Does anyone use this model?
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I have both.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited July 2021
    Desktop
    I prefer desktop. I now have an HP Z800. My husband upgraded everything and the details in the game pops out beautifully. If in the future when I travel for work or leisure, I'll invest in a nice laptop to get my sim fix. lol Such as, on the 24th we're heading to Vegas but I really want to play the new EP....priorities....
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • 3CatsFull3CatsFull Posts: 29 Member
    Laptop
    I play on a MacBook. It does get hot and I can't do anything else on it while the game is running. I've fried a bunch of cords while playing and gave myself two second-degree burns on my legs. I purchased an iMac to use for playing among other things, but hate playing in my office. I prefer playing in the living room where I can have the tv on and the cats have room to run around (my cats are like dogs, where I am, they are. All 5 of them)

I'll probably add in a gaming laptop soon and keep the MacBook just for general work purposes. I prefer Macs but they aren't good for gaming.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited July 2021
    Both
    I originally voted when I still had a laptop; but the battery croaked; it cost as much as the refurbished laptop and I'm really not having a use for a laptop anymore.

A proper desktop is best. While TS4 is easily playable on a laptop (with a graphics card, however, it's among the least intensive games on a system I own); laptops can't really accept the cooling.

Many today (especially those in smaller cases) use laptop boards. I had an older Dell workstation, and I got rid of it when it started showing signs of processor failure, and it was VERY dated (almost 10 years old!), and replaced it with a Lenovo that seems to possibly have a laptop board. I hated to get rid of it, but didn't need it (and my folks were pressuring me to get rid of it). Even if the guts were seriously outdated, I am certain I was able to use the chassis and all-new components, . Plus, just a really slow 3rd gen i5 and tired old components. As someone who is getting into IT, that Dell was a dream to work on. No screws to access the case (latch like on a car door); and the spacious case had plenty of room for the components, which were designed to be modular. If this computer croaks, I'm going with the Dell again; but NOT refurbished. Brand new, even if expensive. Most refurbished PCs are at least five years old, and their processors and integrated graphics can't support modern DirectX.

Dell's current workstation line (the Precision) has an i9 tenth-gen; and if those go on sale soon (currently they're like $1500), I may get one. I have a 6GB graphics card (Nvida GTX1660 SUPER) that came with this Lenovo; and there's a 5GB that doesn't add much to the price, but an 8GB is $200 more!
    Post edited by cody6268 on
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Both
    Amj1995 wrote: »
    What kind of system do you play your The Sims games on if you play PC version of them?

What brand of system? (HP, Dell, etc)
    Do you have all the games or some?

Have you had any technical issues with your system?

If you’ve played or play on both, which do you prefer?

I have a desktop that I've been playing Sims 4 on since the second it was released...but a couple months ago I got a brand new laptop and I love it! My desktop is a Dell, I've had her since 2014 and she works fine. My laptop is a Lenovo and so far, so good. The only thing I can say about my Lenovo is the battery tends to suck, playing Sims 4 it'll last MAYBE and hour, hour and a half, and that's 100% charged until it dims and I have to plug in. But that's not a problem for me 'cos I never go anywhere. When I use it to write, it lasts a lot longer. Both my machines play the game on the highest settings and for the Dell, that's saying A LOT!
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
    Both
    texxx78 wrote: »
    This year i have changed my system. My old laptop was a lenovo with an integrated graphics card and an intel 5, 8th generation processor. It did handle the game untill now with all dlc except Batuu, but latelly i could only play in medium graphics, offline, and it couldn't handle complex mods like mccc (it would heat a lot when using them).

I've changed to a new laptop, a lenovo legion 5 with a dedicated graphics card (nvidia geforce gtx 1650i), an amd ryzen 7 4800h processor and a ssd drive. My game now loads super quicly, i play in ultra graphics, always online, and i can use any mods i want. I'm super happy!

That is the EXACT one I just bought!!!!! I love it! Actually, I think my geforce is bigger though...and the screen is 144htz.
    Both
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Both.

I mostly play on an iMac through Windows via Bootcamp. It's a much better experience on the Windows side than Mac side for gaming I've noticed.

My son has said the exact same thing.
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,075 Member
    edited August 2021
    Laptop
    I have my eye on this machine, how would simmers rate it for The Sims 4? Is the processor a good one? A lot people on a subreddit I have been reading seem to vote Ryzen over Intel.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/acer-predator-helios-300-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-3070-1-tb-ssd-10219903-pdt.html
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    edited August 2021
    Laptop
    Wish I could change my initial answer!
    I just recently bought myself a desktop after playing on laptops since release. I'd say I prefer the desktop, now. The laptops I'd used always seem to struggle keeping up with the game. Fans moving at full blast, machines heating up enough to burn my skin, etc. My desktop, so far, seems to have no issues.
    And maybe it's not all laptops - I didn't do too much research into them, but I went through 4 and they all had issues.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • angelbearangelbear Posts: 151 Member
    Laptop
    I am on the go a lot between school and two jobs. So a laptop is my go too. I use an ASUS TUF Gaming A15 and so far no problem for Sims 4 or the Steam Indie type games I play on the laptop. Any serious gaming I have a console...several actually. Sims is more of a relax unwind type game
  • SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    Desktop
    Desktop.
    No specific brand. Hubby built it. The game runs smoothly.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    Laptop
    When I first answered I was on a 2018 Macbook Pro, but my son needed a new laptop for school, so I gave him that one. Hubby bought me a new Macbook Air M1. Runs beautifully with the settings on Ultra.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    edited August 2021
    Laptop
    If I played more than just TS4 as far as games go, I'd consider getting a nice gaming desktop computer, but since this is the only game I play, I just play on my laptop. I recently got a new laptop though (In November, I upgraded from a 2015 Macbook Pro to a 2020 Macbook Pro) and I can play with almost all my settings on ultra and even with a lot of CC in my game, it runs pretty smoothly most days, so in the end, I'm very satisfied with my playing experience. I know not all laptops can support the game nicely though, so I am glad that the computer I wanted anyway ends up running the game pretty nicely for me as well.

I need a portable computer to do my digital art, since I often need to bring my work with me, which is why I need a laptop to be my main computer rather than a desktop.

Sane here. Because of the Real life work that I do I need a laptop. (Though I do have a gaming desktop, I rarely use it because well, I'm always on the go and want to play my sims whenever I am away from my hometown as well). I only play Sims 4 so I generally encounter no problems. It's a high end gaming laptop and I do play on high settings and I find no problems.

ETA I suppose both would have been a more accurate answer.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited August 2021
    Desktop
    I actually started playing Sims 3 on a lap-top because at that time my husband was hogging my desktop for his games. We finally broke down and bought a second desktop PC so we could both game at the same time. :lol:

Sims 4, I have only ever played on the desktop. I definitely prefer playing on the desktop PC because I like having a large screen.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    Laptop
    My preference for laptops isn't necessarily based on performance... I've never had much issue with either laptops or desktops in that regard. My preference is based on the fact I'm very "on-the-go", and I need to be able to move around here and there, especially when we travel and visit family and things like that. So I've just become so accustomed to using a laptop, going back to using only a desktop feels so limiting to me haha I just do everything on my one computer- Work, game, everything else- so a laptop it is for me :)