March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which one describes you as a Simmer?

Which one describes you as a Simmer? 95 votes

Play in Live Mode, and only enter Build Mode when your Sim(s) want(s) an object or otherwise prompted by the game
25%
icmnfrshPlayerSinger2010Isb917SusanaLeoteCaitxcatsimgirl1010fruitsbasket101crimsonnclover324texxx78AngelEb95EnkiSchmidtSheepilingStrawberryYogurtThriorcomicsforlifeClarionOfJoySimAlexandriaKimmerGrimlyFiendishdooweedoosims 24 votes
Build a cheap starter home that your starter Sim can afford on a starter budget and work your way up through gameplay
12%
pendragon1980Mirichajohnny33bixtersbenson2006waterywatermeloncat_momMonaveilAshtontoAshton22Charlotta11ACruelButLovingGodmiss_eulenauge 12 votes
Build your dream home that you wish to live in but can't because you can't afford desirable housing in real life
3%
SimburianCeridwenPurpleHeather 3 votes
Experiment with build features and different floorplans, designs and architectural styles
8%
Mizzila1297Sindocatcoolsim9999999EA_Marighamrick75Rhain420telltaleheartClbowman0406 8 votes
Create Sims with unique looks, personality and backstories
17%
MagdaleenaTorietaydevChampandGirlieFelicity1169FraTacOldeseadoggeMageKnightEmolgaEliteGirlSulSulwitchesorenjiAiCalico45readerbug2TARDISgradehymnhehimSensi_Sifulebgirl_18 17 votes
Create custom content / mods for The Sims, and only bother to enter the game to test out your creations
0%
Use The Sims as an opportunity to learn computer design, graphics, programming and software engineering
2%
MonaSolstraaleChroniclesWitch 2 votes
Waste hours and hours on a game that you will never get back because you have become a Sims addict
18%
PugLove888ApparentlyAwesomebarracuda1574Freygeaskybird14fionaloveserranoOnverserchongjasmineBreazonasimmerLellaCattyBetsySiggDiggitcapturethemagicClousinatorsRay_TraceclaireIsStinkydishasimmergurllGoldenkiwwi 18 votes
Download a lot of custom content and mods, and expand your game until you can't add them anymore for some reason
7%
bshag4lvReading_CorsairAmy_carterdearie_blossomAngeliqueAdelaidePixilatedImagebear 7 votes
Spend a lot of your disposable income on The Sims just because you can and you love The Sims <3
4%
SERVERFRAZazzyKittynRabellaka_SimmingPlumb0b_Claire 4 votes

Comments

• WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Other.

I start my sims broke and make them work to build their homes up which require constant visits to build and buy mode.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited June 2021
    I feel like I need to mix and match some of these. For a long time Sims was my top dog PC game (though I have always played more than just the Sims), and my playstyle was more centered around live mode (but I stubbornly made families and houses myself down to the last detail).

Now in 4, I still have a number of hours in (over 1000) but it does not engross me like the others before it. My playstyle had to change to keep me engaged (constantly flipping between CAS, BB, and live mode) and now I spend roughly a third of my time in each as I hop around. So I spend even more time playing other PC games compared to before, but I still have put a fair bit of money into 4. Back in the day I had to beg for every pack I got, but now I am independent with adult money. I can actually get packs on release.

Another difference is I actually have friends that play. Growing up, no one but my relatives and I seemed to play PC games. At least not in my social circles. Now, though, my friends have adult money, too, and they can play. (Though there is one in particular I talk to about it.) Oh, and I actually use the online features now. I used to refuse. Some of my redesigned Maxis builds I retrofit for larger families and DLC content get uploaded to the gallery now.

Pretty hard to summarize for a poll option, though.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,710 Member
    Play in Live Mode, and only enter Build Mode when your Sim(s) want(s) an object or otherwise prompted by the game
    This one comes closest to my style of gameplay however since I only play one family I frequently redecorate their home. Usually every couple of weeks.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Live mode is where I'm at most of the time in The Sims. I build up lots and edit sims as I play - for example if one of the sims is wearing a hideous piece of clothing, then I give them something better right on the spot!

I wish I was able to pick more options in this poll though! I would have also picked the last option: Spend a lot of your disposable income on The Sims just because you can and you love The Sims <3, because that's what I did with The Sims 1 through 3. I bought everything of The Sims 1 and didn't even wait for sales as they came out. I also did the same thing with The Sims 2 and bought all the expansion and stuff packs, but didn't buy anything from its online store because back then, I was wary of buying digital stuff at the time and wasn't sure how reliable it would be to keep. I also think other people felt this way about it too because I don't see a lot of TS2 fans ever talk about the online store.

With The Sims 3 which I love the most, of course I bought all the expansion and stuff packs as well as most of the store. I have only a few more clothes to buy and then I will be finished! The Sims 3 is just so magical to me and an amazing piece of gaming software where the devs really thought things through which resulted in amazing and flexible gameplay. It was also technically very forward thinking and you would see the full brilliance of it when you got a more powerful computer and graphics card for it!

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'd say I am some combination but this is probably the dominant description. My sims are all very detailed and I come up with personalities for them. As they play through, they get more back stories. I haven't suffered from them all seeming too similar.

I also have some of the other elements. I don't think playing the game is wasting time, I have a life and other interests. I also like coming up with stories for the sims. At some point, I might get into more writing but I'm also working on certain skills and do some community volunteering in my real life. I play Sims during random but scheduled times, I know that might not sound like it makes sense. For example, if the weather is so-so or other people don't feel like doing anything, I sometimes play it. It's also a stress reliever. For example, I dealt with some very stressful events recently and it has just been good to play some Sims as a counterbalance. I don't feel guilty about it just like people don't feel guilty about other hobbies.

I like seeing my sims evolve and I also like play-through scenarios for my sims even though I also come up with activities or plans on my own. I like being able to say, "This is a kind of boring day for them and they're just going to do hobbies at home, or they're going to the spa, or they are going to the gym/pool/ice rink." I would take more places to send them. Obviously, I've sent them on vacation. I like having different things for them to do.

I play a lot in live mode and sometimes I build or renovate. Sometimes I'll play a sim from poorer to having more money but at this point, I have a lot of households that I've played for multiple generations. I do not spend lots of disposable income. A lot of stuff has been gifted or picked up on sale. If I really like a theme, I might get it right away. A lot of the time, I wait and spread it out. Now, I'm also of the opinion that if I'm really not interested, I can sit some things out. If I'll use some of a pack, that's usually enough but maybe I wait for a sale or boring day in which I want to pick up new content.

I liked the bundle sales and sometimes I've picked up content I wouldn't have otherwise because it rolled into the bundle.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Adding building unique homes for said sims to live and have their adventures in. Particularly true for TS2.
  • hymnhehimhymnhehim Posts: 518 Member
    This one was the closest to mine! I usually just make sims in CAS, upload them to the Gallery, and forget about them, unless I develop a connection with a sim/family, and I make a save file that I rarely play in... sad.
    Hey, I'm Milo (he/him)! I love The Sims 4, and I've been playing it since December of 2020. My Sims bestie and forums bestie is Gonnawin1111, aka V.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    A mix between "Play in Live Mode" and "Create Sims with unique looks/personality/backstories" but I chose the first option because I actually don't create sims often and most of my time is definitely spent in livemode. Whenever I do create sims, however, I always roleplay (or at least semi-roleplay) them, giving them more character than the game actually allows.
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    edited June 2021
    I mostly create Sims with unique looks/personalities but then I like them so much that I cannot let them die, so they are basically immortal. :D
    I also like to build dream houses but in the end my builds end up looking rather similar. :)
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • telltalehearttelltaleheart Posts: 17 Member
    Experiment with build features and different floorplans, designs and architectural styles
    I love building, and half the time when I start up the game that's what I'm planning to do. When i actually play with sims, I like moving them into empty lots and building it up as I go. I like making sure they only have what they can afford!
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited June 2021
    I could check several of these, honestly.

I kinda use this game as a tool, most of the time?? I like creating sims based off my original characters, sometimes I even turn my sims into original characters. I also build their houses, AND I taught myself how to make CC, just for the sake of maximum accuracy.

Other times, I just play the game regularly with a legacy. But I must admit I liked legacy gameplay much better in older games, especially TS3, where the whole town just progressed alongside your household and you didn't have to do any rotational stuff.

So yeah. Mostly characters. And watching their lives in this world. Taking screenshots. Oh boy do I take a lot of screenshots.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • ChroniclesWitchChroniclesWitch Posts: 7 New Member
    Use The Sims as an opportunity to learn computer design, graphics, programming and software engineering
    I'm actually quite a few of these at once, lol.
    The gameplay I have changes depending on which save it is. So I may have a a rags to riches gameplay in one, a bunch of builds of dram houses in another, a rotational gameplay that allows me to tell unique stories with Sims, etc.
    I've been trying to get a way to make and download some CC for my Sims 3 gameplay as well, but sadly I just can't seem to get it right...

As for those hundred of hours I've spent playing, it was worth it. And so is my hundreds of bucks XD

I've chosen the option I did because of something I've realised. I work as a concept artist irl, my job is to make things in games, whether it's just the 2D ideas or 3D models, and the must be able to work. The Sims allows CCs. Making CCs include coming up with concepts and models that work.
    I literally have a full working game and open source supported software at my disposal to learn and do work. If anything, that's a HUGE investment.

So once again, no, I'm now wasting hours of my life in The Sims! It's work! XD
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,032 Member
    I have done most of the choices! I love to play, build and create Sims, and I've spend many 1000s of hours doing it all in this wonderful game! <3
    4kkjdXo.png

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Build your dream home that you wish to live in but can't because you can't afford desirable housing in real life
    I like to build my own houses and then make a family, or use an old family to try them out. I don't like Maxis builds so I tend to spend more time building than playing now. Every time I get a new pack I have to alter things. :)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Spend a lot of your disposable income on The Sims just because you can and you love The Sims <3
    I love building & playing many different themes. I'm not a big gamer, I only have a selective PC games that I enjoy playing.
  • Sensi_SifuSensi_Sifu Posts: 16 Member
    It was kind of close to my play style. I only play with Sim who started from an infant and is now an immortal elder wizard.
    I visit The pre made sims with my always welcome trait an change there life, because I have maxed out everything and I am a mentor.
    I will train their pets help out with the toddlers, upgrade everything in the house and lastly when a full game year has passed and the tots are ready to age up I will leave them with their very own SERVO bot full upgraded.
    Then it's on to the next. Every dlc is more household to inject my sim in and play God.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Build a cheap starter home that your starter Sim can afford on a starter budget and work your way up through gameplay
    All of my Sims start in a really small barely furnished "box" that has the essentials plus a few skilling items. Their aspiration and traits usually trigger whims that sometimes determine how their game evolves. I also experiment with various aspirations and trait combinations, hobbies, skills, and careers. Sims and their relationships are still a mystery to me. I can't figure out who they're really attracted to so this is something that I'm trying to figure out. I just guessed wrong in one of my saves. That save is a mess now or should I say it's full of drama. It's a mess.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    Other:
    Use sims game as a creative outlet for storytelling, design, and photography.
    I also enjoying making my game more unique and what I wish it was like through mods and custom content.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Waste hours and hours on a game that you will never get back because you have become a Sims addict
    I spend a lot of time building and literally just messing around without progression. My Sims are immortal, mostly inspired after my own cartoon characters and others and I live in a 36 member household, the house size is a humongous and complicated 64x64 lot (it has an expansive underground dungeon/catacomb/volcanic lair, a lavish castle, a military base-inspired home, and a ramshackle house; none of this were in the lot at start, I slowly evolved that lot over time and the buildings got more complex and sophisticated). I decrease needs decay because of how much Sims I play at a time, think of it as an extreme rotational household.

What I do? I don't know. Some days, I lightning strike and pose those paparazzi in my lot. Other days I torture a guy (and if I kill some of the "bad guys", I revive them), both the Sims I like and the Sims I like to hate. Some of my Sims have active careers, and I typically bring along the rude guy along who beats up, say, police officers and the police chief. I love taking dumb pictures of my Sims too.

Lots of mods are involved. Can't live without torment, mcc, and plenty of others.

S4MP is also very fun to play with my twin sister on that humgo lot.

This game reeks of endless charm and hilarity.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    It was difficult to vote as I can choose several of the choices. i have been a Sim addict since Sims2 but have little time to actually play due to rl obligations. But I do play whenever I can. I love all the games and have many plans for my sims. I like to build my homes for each town and I enjoy trying to build any house I see that I like and ones I know well. But as much as I enjoy building and trying different styles of architecture, I truly enjoy playing the game in live mode. I am loving Cottage Living and can't wait to spend more time on that as I have 3 different game plans for Henford-on Bagley!