Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Things you didn't know!

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2021
    MR2021 wrote: »
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I had to place a second school in the world I'm playing in, because there are so many students in SV now, that two of my children could not get into the school the previous day, and I found them standing outside, "skipping school." Once I had a second school in place and my sims' offspring made it through their first day at the new school, I discovered that if there is "old homework" from the last day at one school in their personal inventory, they do not get new homework at the new school, but they can still do homework on the multi-tab. So thankfully, my sims' children were all able to complete their homework. I used NRaas Master Controller to remove the old homework, so they can get new homework at school next time.

I'm glad you managed to solve the problem. I didn't know there was a limit to the number of Sims who can be in a rabbit hole at the same time, and bearing in mind that The Sims 3 has many glitches and bugs, I would fear to resort to place a second school in the town. Alternatively, you could have sent your children to boarding schools. But I heard Sunset Valley is a very stable town, and I had to place some buildings from Oasis Landing there due to the infamous "error 12" that ever happened whenever my Sims returned to the present. By the way, did you complete the sprites collection?
    There isn't. But there is a limit to the number of sims who can be shoved through a single usable entry door in a finite amount of time before collisions happen and the kids start giving up and going home for the day or wandering around town getting into trouble when they should be at school. And there is a similar limit to the number that can exit gracefully without still waiting to be able to leave the building in the late hours of the night, although after school clubs and the fact that children and teens get out of school and different times do help stagger the exit load. Multiple schools can help alleviate the load, for most of us a single-door entry school (the others being for decoration it seems) will max out somewhere around 20-25 kids/teens.

This mod, for those so inclined, also solves the problem brilliantly as well as a similar issue in Uni World with the classroom buildings by making more of the doors usable for entry/exit.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    This is just a trivia, but anyway:

If your Sim has low hygiene, the option that will appear when you click on a shower will be "shower", but when the hygiene is high, the option will appear as "take shower".

I did not know that was the reason for the different labels for the action of using the shower. Thanks for that information.
    I had to place a second school in the world I'm playing in, because there are so many students in SV now, that two of my children could not get into the school the previous day, and I found them standing outside, "skipping school." Once I had a second school in place and my sims' offspring made it through their first day at the new school, I discovered that if there is "old homework" from the last day at one school in their personal inventory, they do not get new homework at the new school, but they can still do homework on the multi-tab. So thankfully, my sims' children were all able to complete their homework. I used NRaas Master Controller to remove the old homework, so they can get new homework at school next time.

I'm glad you managed to solve the problem. I didn't know there was a limit to the number of Sims who can be in a rabbit hole at the same time, and bearing in mind that The Sims 3 has many glitches and bugs, I would fear to resort to place a second school in the town. Alternatively, you could have sent your children to boarding schools. But I heard Sunset Valley is a very stable town, and I had to place some buildings from Oasis Landing there due to the infamous "error 12" that ever happened whenever my Sims returned to the present. By the way, did you complete the sprites collection?

There isn't a limit to how many sims can be in a rabbithole. The problem is when so many show up at the same time needing to go into the same door, that eventually the action drops from their queue because the game sees it as unable to be completed. If you happen to check on them, after everyone else has either gone inside or left the lot, like I did that one time, you can send them inside without any trouble.

The sprites are going to have to wait. The household I'm currently playing aren't going to travel to the future. I decided to do it with my ultimate sim, who is going to master all skills and skill challenges and collect everything there is to collect. But I won't be playing her until I finish my latest CAW project, which I am taking a break from right now. But there is no danger of me forgetting about the sprites in the meantime. It will happen, just not right now.

• MR2021MR2021 Posts: 93 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    There isn't. But there is a limit to the number of sims who can be shoved through a single usable entry door in a finite amount of time before collisions happen and the kids start giving up and going home for the day or wandering around town getting into trouble when they should be at school. And there is a similar limit to the number that can exit gracefully without still waiting to be able to leave the building in the late hours of the night, although after school clubs and the fact that children and teens get out of school and different times do help stagger the exit load. Multiple schools can help alleviate the load, for most of us a single-door entry school (the others being for decoration it seems) will max out somewhere around 20-25 kids/teens.

This mod, for those so inclined, also solves the problem brilliantly as well as a similar issue in Uni World with the classroom buildings by making more of the doors usable for entry/exit.

Oh, I see. I had the same problem when I sent two of my Sims to the graduation cerimony in University: there were so many students waiting to enter the building that one of my Sims got her diploma, her extra trait and all that, but the other didn't; so I loaded a previous save, sent them to the cerimony hall around 12PM and made them WAIT THERE until the cerimony started. They were the first to enter the building and all went well.

Thanks for the link to the mod, and I'll definitely use it if I have another problem like that. The thing is that my PC is not very good and The Sims 3, with all expansions, packs and items from the store, is a very demanding game (for me is even worse, since I also have lots of CC). I tend to use mods almost like a last resort (the same applies to cheats), although I intend to use some that increase the number of plants and recipes. (sigh) I know, I should stop...
    "If any one faculty of our nature may be called more wonderful than the rest, I do think it is memory … The memory is sometimes so retentive, so serviceable, so obedient; at others, so bewildered and so weak; and at others again, so tyrannic, so beyond control!" Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
    edited July 2021

I did not know that was the reason for the different labels for the action of using the shower. Thanks for that information.

Maybe this is just the game implicitly saying "yeah, you REALLY need to take a shower right now!" lol
    The sprites are going to have to wait. The household I'm currently playing aren't going to travel to the future. I decided to do it with my ultimate sim, who is going to master all skills and skill challenges and collect everything there is to collect. But I won't be playing her until I finish my latest CAW project, which I am taking a break from right now. But there is no danger of me forgetting about the sprites in the meantime. It will happen, just not right now.

Now THAT is what I call determination! I don't have the willpower to do so. I more or less did it with all the 5 members of my household, as I divided most of the skills among them, but there are some skills and collections that seem so nonsensical to me... I suceeded in getting every gem in every cut possible, but that's my maximum.
    Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in completing all your projects, and if you need help, just ask.

Edit: oh, by the way: you don't necessarily need to travel to the future to get the sprites (apart from those that are unlocked by careers, of course). Just place around 15 on your lot and they will have different forms; after that, just make two of your Sims pick a holo disc each and share the sprites between them. Repeat the process until you get all 10 (if it wasn't clear enough, I can make another post explaining it in detail).
    "If any one faculty of our nature may be called more wonderful than the rest, I do think it is memory … The memory is sometimes so retentive, so serviceable, so obedient; at others, so bewildered and so weak; and at others again, so tyrannic, so beyond control!" Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
    edited July 2021
    Thanks for the link to the mod, and I'll definitely use it if I have another problem like that. The thing is that my PC is not very good and The Sims 3, with all expansions, packs and items from the store, is a very demanding game (for me is even worse, since I also have lots of CC). I tend to use mods almost like a last resort (the same applies to cheats), although I intend to use some that increase the number of plants and recipes. (sigh) I know, I should stop...
    There are certainly mods that add to the overhead that the game needs to carry. I can't believe that plant and recipe mods really add anything signficant though, even for a borderline capable system. Maybe a very slightly longer startup time while the package files load and a very slight delay when being presented with which recipe to use while cooking?

But a script mod that successfully straightens out entries and exits by giving sims more doors to use so there are no longer collisions and routing failures every morning would go into the category of helpful to game to performance, not draining on it. It's the collisions and failures that cause poor game performance elsewhere in town, not the 80 teenagers all inside the same high school. Okay, 80 is an exaggeration for many players, but I did have a town with a slowly aging baby boom and that many at the time, it was very interesting to play through. But I had given them three high schools and separated out the children into two elementary schools. This is the town on which I tested the mod back when it was in development and forced them all into one school. There were actually problems at first, but once those of us testing reported exactly where things were going wrong, the developer sorted them all out and it's really very helpful now. Note though that once the mod is in place, some schools will need to be bulldozed and replaced with a copy in order to get the benefit.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited August 2021
    I just realized that there is another collection that was forgotten by me: small pets! There is a total of 46 small pets, divided into six categories:

- Lizards: 8
    - Snakes: 8
    - Rodents: 7
    - Turtles: 8
    - Small birds: 7
    - Large birds: 8

In my defense, I never make this collection because pets need to be constantly fed and interacted with; what's more, they will eventually die. I was so sad when my cardinal died... If only they could just stay there in their cages/terrariums forever...
    Post edited by MR2021 on
    edited July 2021
    I just realized that there is another collection that was forgotten by me: small pets! There is a total of 46 small pets, divided into six categories:

In my defense, I never make this collection because pets need to be constant fed and interacted with; what's more, they will eventually die. I was so sad when my cardinal died... If only they could just stay there in their cages/terrariums forever...

I've had sims teaching birds to talk. They learn about 2 words or phrases, whichever it is, then the birds disappear, and unlike dogs, cats, and horses, you can't adjust their lifespan. So I don't see much point in having them.
    Edit: oh, by the way: you don't necessarily need to travel to the future to get the sprites (apart from those that are unlocked by careers, of course). Just place around 15 on your lot and they will have different forms; after that, just make two of your Sims pick a holo disc each and share the sprites between them. Repeat the process until you get all 10 (if it wasn't clear enough, I can make another post explaining it in detail).

OK, I never thought of doing that. I know the holo discs can be purchased at the store in OA, and I think I noticed them in the buy catalog once or twice. But I never thought of buying them for my sims in the home world. Of course, I find sprites overly needy and annoying, so no surprise there.
  • Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member

Thank you very much for this info! I had been adding a second school to my games and it didn't solve the problem for me. It's the one thing that finally soured TS2 for me and made me give up on the legacy/challenge/multigenerational style of play.

Now I want to give it a try again!

In my defense, I never make this collection because pets need to be constant fed and interacted with; what's more, they will eventually die. I was so sad when my cardinal died... If only they could just stay there in their cages/terrariums forever...

I've had sims teaching birds to talk. They learn about 2 words or phrases, whichever it is, then the birds disappear, and unlike dogs, cats, and horses, you can't adjust their lifespan. So I don't see much point in having them.
    I've also found the lifespans of small pets to be way too short relative to my sims' lives -- this of course will depend on what we use for sims' lifespans to begin with and whether we allow inactive aging as we play rotationally (using mods), but neither will adjust the lifespans on birds and small animals. NRaas Retuner can accomplish this, for those so inclined, although it can be a bit fussy to find each of the individual species to adjust. Also, I'm strictly talking about those our sims take in as pets and not stray animals in the wild, as I don't think the lifespans really apply to them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »

Thank you very much for this info! I had been adding a second school to my games and it didn't solve the problem for me. It's the one thing that finally soured TS2 for me and made me give up on the legacy/challenge/multigenerational style of play.

Now I want to give it a try again!
    That's great to hear, but just to clarify we are talking about TS3 here. Not TS2. (but that's possibly what you meant to say?)

On the multiple schools strategy, and there's no harm in using both solutions, just dropping more schools down on the map doesn't do the trick. Sims who are already enrolled will not shift to a different school, so unless you bulldoze both schools and replace them to trigger re-enrollment, or wait until the next generation of kids/teens arrive, any additional schools will remain unused. But in addition to the entry points mod I insist on multiple schools in most of my larger worlds, separated by age -- elementary and high schools -- just because that seems more realistic to me.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited August 2021

I've just discovered this mod: https://modthesims.info/d/459699/minor-pets-won-t-run-away.html. I was looking for mods that extend the lifespan of small pets, and this is the closest I've got. It seems that it prevents small pets from running away from your Sim's inventory AND it also makes them live longer. Maybe I'll give it a try.
    OK, I never thought of doing that. I know the holo discs can be purchased at the store in OA, and I think I noticed them in the buy catalog once or twice. But I never thought of buying them for my sims in the home world. Of course, I find sprites overly needy and annoying, so no surprise there.

You can find holo discs under Sort by function>Entertainment>Miscellaneous Entertainment, at the cost of 300 Simoleons. To make things easier, filter only the content from Into the Future expansion. I agree with you that sprites are needy and annoying, but, opposed to small pets, they won't die or go anywhere. You can keep then forever! Mine are locked up in the basement along with all the other collectibles for weeks and nothing happened to them ;)
    Post edited by MR2021 on
    You can find holo discs under Sort by function>Entertainment>Miscellaneous Entertainment, at the cost of 300 Simoleons. To make things easier, filter only the content from Into the Future expansion. I agree with you that sprites are needy and annoying, but, opposed to small pets, they won't die or go anywhere. You can keep then forever! Mine are locked up in the basement along with all the other collectibles for weeks and nothing happened to them ;)

That explains why I have only seen them a few times. That is one category of the buy catalog I almost never look in, because every thing in there can be found somewhere else, except, apparently, the holo disc.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    P.S.: I'm starting to think that no one will ever discover all the resources and possibilities of this game... Well, probably only Chuck Norris has hahahaha
    5id4jf.jpg
    :mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    5id4jf.jpg
    :mrgreen:

Hahahaha
    I'm a simple man, I love Chuck Norris's jokes!

I've just discovered that cats can "yowl along" with stereos. Funny and cute at the same time:

wlVm9cA.jpg
    That explains why I have only seen them a few times. That is one category of the buy catalog I almost never look in, because every thing in there can be found somewhere else, except, apparently, the holo disc.

The categories "Entertainment", "Lights" and "Decor" are the ones I use the most. And I have mixed feelings for "Miscellaneous decor": I love and hate that tab at the same time. There are soooo many different things in there that is almost impossible to find what you are looking for unless you are extremely patient and attentive. In spite of that, there is hardly anything that makes me refrain from decorating my house exactly the way I want :)

A little change of subject: does anyone have any knowledge about plumbot competitions? I'm trying everything I can to win the international competitions to no avail...
    edited August 2021
    Another contribution to the thread: most people know that, provided you have Supernatural expansion, you can cut gems for free with the gem cutter; therefore, there is no need to send the gems to be cut through mail and receive them only on the next day, as you can cut the gems in a matter of few Sim-minutes.

What many people may not know is that you can do the same thing with metals and Artisan's Glassblowing and Jewelry Making Station (available in the store): you can smelt metals with it, thus saving time, simoleons and the possibility of receiving a hideous gnome instead.
    edited August 2021
    I didn't know that Sims could WooHoo in the Steam-It-Up Sauna. Above all, what surprised me the most is the fact that they can try for baby AND choose the gender of the child! There are the options "WooHoo", "Try for boy" and "Try for girl" (as long as the couple is using the sauna at the same time).

I don't know whether or not choosing the baby's gender this way is more guaranteed than making a female Sim eat apples or watermelons. If someone tries it, please let me know.

Another side question: does anybody know why the covers of some recipe books are red, others are blue and others are green? I was wondering about this these days and I couldn't find any logic in it.
    Don't the recipe book cover colors correlate to how much cooking skill is required to learn them, or am I remembering that wrong?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Don't the recipe book cover colors correlate to how much cooking skill is required to learn them, or am I remembering that wrong?

That is correct.

That is correct.

I checked it and you're both right, sorry for that... The blue books are for Sims with low Cooking skill, the red ones are for those who are on an intermediate level and the green ones contain the advanced recipes. My bad. I guess I got confused after downloading those mods that add ingredients and recipes to the game. After seeing so many recipes books with diferent covers, I thought the colors were random.

Another contribution to the thread (although many people may already know this): if you press Shift while placing an object in Buy Mode, you can place as many as you want without having to click on its icon over and over again (the same way it happens automatically when placing a dining chair, for example). Sorry if everybody already knew that, but I only discovered this feature a few days ago.
    edited August 2021
    A trivia: Sims with occult life states (i.e. witches, fairies, etc.) will have an icon at the side of the Sign (in Simology tab) showing the gender of the Sim, whereas the human (normal) Sims won't.
    Post edited by MR2021 on

That is correct.

I checked it and you're both right, sorry for that... The blue books are for Sims with low Cooking skill, the red ones are for those who are on an intermediate level and the green ones contain the advanced recipes. My bad. I guess I got confused after downloading those mods that add ingredients and recipes to the game. After seeing so many recipes books with diferent covers, I thought the colors were random.

Another contribution to the thread (although many people may already know this): if you press Shift while placing an object in Buy Mode, you can place as many as you want without having to click on its icon over and over again (the same way it happens automatically when placing a dining chair, for example). Sorry if everybody already knew that, but I only discovered this feature a few days ago.

Thank you for sharing that. After all these years, I did not know that.
    edited August 2021

Thank you for sharing that. After all these years, I did not know that.

Not at all. I'm glad to be helpful, especially for those who, like you, are much more experienced in the game than me. And I'm happy this "trick" exists, since is rather annoying clicking on the same item again and again.

Here's another fact for the "things you didn't know" (even though many players may already know): you can place the rubber duck and the bubble bath available in the grocery store on bath tubs, and they'll give your Sim extra moodlets everytime he/she takes a bath.

Uxwo8Vg.jpg
    Post edited by MR2021 on
    Another collection forgotten by me (I hope this is the last one): Festival Eggs! Interestingly enough, this is one of my favorite collections, and very easy to complete. As fas as I know, there are only 5 eggs.

TZemON1.jpg
    I finally did it! After several Sim-weeks (and several real weeks too), one of my Sims finally got her 7th Work Anniversary gift (and the others' are about to come)! It's a Golden Llama.

RPb4cBw.jpg

I need to be honest though: I was expecting more (or at least different). I don't want to sound picky, but I don't understand the game developers' obsession with llamas. When I saw it on my Sim's inventory, I couldn't help rolling my eyes...
    Anyway, I was very curious to know what they would get after the plaque for the 3rd anniversary and the watch for the 5th. I don't think there are more (for the 9th or 10th anniversary, for example), but I'll keep you updated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top