Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Representation

13...Next

Comments

• SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    KyreRoen wrote: »
    I'd prefer vagueries such as City Living, over the utter snore-fest that was Snowy Escape. City Living did what Sims does best - give representation in inspiration, not half-done imitation. If SE had been "general Asia", think of the gameplay we could've gotten. I hear "More Representation" and one doesn't really understand how much of an ask that is until you realise how many cultures and countries exist.

This isn't an international game with fleshed out bite-sized packs released for every culture from studios who know them enough to do them well, this is an American-based game where everywhere else is pretty much a destination world with residential housing.

They do the culture they know, best. Everything else is a light touch, not a deep-dive, yet it has gameplay. Their deep-dives have no gameplay (or little of any interest), so the only solution would be CAW and easier modding tools.

That's true. And Japan is popular--I mean, I can't blame it, but still. I've heard people saying there should be an anime-themed pack. Really? Anime? I think Japan has had its time in the spotlight. As @RavioliWusGood (love the username; do you want ravioli rep in TS4?) mentioned, the rest of the massive continent of Asia often gets overlooked in favor of More Japan. (Is this how Canada feels when people reduce "north of Mexico" North America to the U.S.?)

Asia is the biggest continent in the world (although Africa has more countries, I believe). Little bits and pieces of a vast number of cultures would be more interesting than a mega-focus on one or two.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2021
    It's not either-or. The Sims team could easily split their time between adding to representation and adding to gameplay. Representation is an important issue among the younger crowd, and honestly, I think that's a good thing. It would be boring if every Sim were the same. But in spending so much time promoting it, they're coming across as desperate for approval.

It reminds me of those commercials that try to be funny or "hip." I don't need any of that! Just calmly explain to me what the product does, and I'll decide whether I want it or not! If the Sims team did that re: diversity and representation, instead of going on and on about it, I think that would please a lot more of the fanbase than it is right now.

But every Sim in TS4 is the same. It doesn't matter the skin tone, the outfit, the country they are supposed to be living in, and or the sexual orientation. All that is represented but the Sim is the same as the next. Fluff doesn't fix a game with adding more 'diversity'. Diversity of mind is the lacking feature. All Sims have the same emotions, regardless of traits. Why should an evil Sim care about anything as much as a good Sim?
    There are so many things that overlap in this game with the emotions and skills and traits that they all turn out the same. Just today I read kids in the game are all washing dishes or taking out trash even if in a neighbor's house. Why? Why are they all the same? It wouldn't matter what you put on the Sim and or where they live and or what they look like the personality is a clone. How is this game diverse when it leaves out the most important factors...beliefs, traits, habits, differences. This is why I'm done with trying to convince Maxis they can't see the forest for the trees and neither can most players.

Let's talk about diverse animations. How many times do players have to sit through a repeat of how Sims move their heads, hands or arms when they talk? Would any in this thread move your head and or your arms and or your eyes and or your mouth and or your hands when you speak to someone the very same as the other person? No. So, we watch over and over the same animation for all Sims depending on the blanket animation for whatever the conversation is supposed to be. Granted this has been a problem since 2000 however, it's way past time to give individuals their own animations when they speak about any particular subject to each other. Sim A should not be doing the same thing as Sim B or Sim C when they speak. Period. Honestly, these Sims suffer from hive mind.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    drakharis wrote: »
    I will do my best not to come across as being "political" for that is NOT my intent. I want to start out with that I love the Representation we have in the game. From February showcasing Black Simmers to LatinX/Hispanic History Month being celebrated and LBGTQIA sims in every pack since Cats and Dogs added to the game.

However more really needs to be done. I will do my best to keep it sweet without trying to offend anybody.

With that said I'll explain why I'm disappointed with the Cottage Living pack and focusing on farming. I feel that groups races ethnicities and cultures not in the sims at all with ZERO representation should be a higher priority to adding in farming or for that matter occult sims. I think that fixing serious problems in the game should be fixed before any added kits and packs are introduced. Those should be the sims team's first priority in my opinion. I could be completely happy with fewer problems bugs and issues in the game if it means no new kits or packs for a year or two.

We have Pacific Islanders with representation in the game. Nothing added that is actually part of the culture like Hula dancing or even Luaus as added food and parties for our sims.

We have Japanese Representation kind of. When I think of Japan I don't think snowboarding skiing or even rock climbing. I think fishing, tokusatsu, great foods like sushi, sentai, stage shows, Tea Ceremony, anime, J-Dramas, J-Pop, manga, Japanese Gardens and so much more. Which really wasn't added with Snowy Escape. I end up just deleting and rebuilding the world. I have to use CC to set up a proper Japanese Tea House with a tea ceremony laid out.

We have LatinX/Hispanic Representation to a point though it's Mexican based. There are more LatinX and Hispanic cultures than just Mexican.

We have Black Representation that really needs improving with better hair and some more skintones added in. Even added foods have a world with the beauty of Harlem and Black communities throughout the world. One of my best friends growing up still lives in Harlem. I used to hang out with him and his mom taught me how to cook. She is one of the most amazing human beings I have ever met.

We have LBGTQIA representation in the game that could be tweaked a bit.

There isn't Native American/Canada's First People Represented at all I know that every Nation/tribe being represented is kind of impossible.

There aren't a lot of cultures ethnicities and races represented yet in the game.

Asians are more than just the Japanese. There are Indians, Middle Easterners, Chinese, Koreans and so on.

What about European cultures with French, Italian, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese and so on.

What about Jamaicans and Haitians?

My list goes on.

What about the Disabled? I know it's impossible to get every disability out there but wheelchairs hearing aids walkers elevators and canes aren't that difficult. There is CC and mods out there for these items. I know some people don't want it at all. But I have mods and Custom traits to represent some disabilities and mental health.

I understand not wanting to offend and trigger people. I understand that as a company being politically correct is an absolute must. I understand that they don't want to misrepresent and poorly represent or do something that would be utterly insulting and stereotypical even to thoughts outside that race, culture or ethnicity. I understand religion and politics cannot be done without upsetting and offending and triggering somebody. For religion and politics, every political party worldwide and every religion added in including atheism and anarchy.

It shouldn't be the responsibility of CC creators and modders to get this done at all.

No to disabilities, mental health etc...I will refer you to the remove the lactose intolerant trait thread. As I said over there, don't even ask if this community cannot even get through having a lactose intolerant trait, there is NO WAY they will get through disabilities or mental health issues. I can just see the thread now. I suffer from xyz and I think it should be removed because it is offensive to me.
    I would like to see a people of the world pack. Done as something new (Mega Pack) For LBGTQIA I'd like for our sims to be able to come out without using mods and of course of choosing the option for their preference in a partner and attraction without the use of mods for example I'd like to be able to decide if my sim is straight bi gay etc. I'd like to be able to choose for our sims to be transgender and going through the process of pre-surgery and living their lives as the gender they identify with without the use of mods. I'd like the option to choose if our sim is non-binary or cisgender without a mod.

In my area throughout the summer, we have tons of cultural festivals. Puerto Rican, Mexican, Dominican, Cuban etc. amongst the Hispanic/LatinX people in the area. If it was all the same traditions and culture there wouldn't be a separate festival for each.

To those thinking diversity doesn't need to be addressed or improved. Please don't take offence or believe it sounds like I'm playing a race card. (Which I am not trying to do)

If Fashion games can give me more diversity than the Sims which they often do it's time for the sims team to really work on improved diversity. For a fashion game, isn't a life simulator game. I create my model and dress her up in different clothes/regalia. If I want my model to be Korean I can make my model Korean. If I want my model African American I can make the model African American. If I want a Native American or Indian or Puetro Rican Model I can do that too. They could just as easily just have less diversity with fewer face shapes, skintones, hairstyles etc. but they have more than a life simulator game like the Sims. All I'm doing in such games is dressing my model up in a way to express my individual culture and personality. Some have Native American and First Canadian regalia. I think some games actually talk with Native Americans to avoid doing anything disrespectful, insulting and lack of taste. They don't exploit a race ethnicity or culture. I can create myself if I choose in a Fashion game but not in a life simulator game like the Sims. That is just kind of... It's not about "political correctness" it's about how in real life many races cultures and ethnicities do exist and how a Life Simulation game doesn't give us the option a Fashion Game does.

But in a "fashion game" it is only about looking pretty with absolutely ZERO meaningful gameplay features. What many of us want is more meaningful gameplay. Personally I would love more family oriented gameplay that has nothing to do with diversity, race, gender, or political correctness. I know others want more fantasy occult gameplay.

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think Europe gets a lot of representation more so than Americana living.

As a European who's been to the US, I find 3 Sims worlds to be clearly inspired by Europe (including Britain), namely Britechester, Windenburg and Henford-on-Bagley, and I agree that's probably enough for now.

Said so, the vast majority of the other worlds appear to be clearly inspired by various parts of the US/North America: Newcrest (typical American suburbia), Evergreen Harbor (Northwest USA), Willow Creek (Louisiana?), Magnolia Promenade (Lousiana again?), San Myshuno (San Francisco/New York), Del Sol Valley (California), Granite Falls (Oregon? Canada?), Brindleton Bay (New England), Oasis Spring (Texas?), Strangerville (Nevada/Utah/New Mexico?). Newcrest, Willow Creek and Magnolia Promenade in particular are too similar IMHO.

I for one would like to see other locations in the game inspired by other parts of the world (take San Myshuno for example, it was a missed opportunity to implement some variety as there was no need to make it look like an American city when it could have been inspired by other metropolises, e.g. from Asia or other parts of the world, like a Singapore/Dubai mix).

So on the one hand I feel there is a lot of American representation in this game, already. On the other hand, I can see why to some others it might feel some important elements of American culture have been left out.

Maybe when/if a horse pack is released it'll include BB/CAS elements related to ranching/American farms?

There is ZERO representation of the actual American Midwest. At least from my perspective. While I can possibly see it somewhat in the newest expansion pack, I have yet to see corn fields or prairie. I don't require that, but I can say that the game only represents the gentrificationed parts of the USA.

I am an east coaster but I was talking to my friend in the Midwest about this very thing a few weeks ago.
    Ditto. This isnt a fashion game. Sims 4 cares too much about appearances or the superficial. People are too worried about what their sims are (gender, race) and not worried enough about WHO their sims are (personality, interests, hobbies, memories).

We want consequences and personality for our sims. Some do want political correctness or Diversity™ because as soon as something that is diverse is added, but not the kind of diversity you want (i.e shrines) it gets twitter cancelled. We're tired of the game being manipulated as a political or social issue tool. Keep activism and politics out the game and let us just play.

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!! You barely heard any complaints about skin in sims 2, at least I don't remember, because those sims HAD personality. You knew when they were, happy or angry. We didn't need a buff to tell us. There was a memory system so we could understand what happened to them in their life. Big events were important to them and the sims felt more connected to each other not just existing in the same world. I personally think sentiments are just not enough in Sims 4.

I have to say I am tired of the game's focus being on diversity and political correctness and LESS ON MAKING IT FUN and MEANINGFUL. I wish the devs never opened that can of worms because they will never get it right anyways. Someone will always say it is not enough.
  • readerbug2readerbug2 Posts: 31 Member
    I like the idea of having different packs being based on different cultures and in different parts of the world, like with Snowy Escape, Island Living, and Cottage Living. I have a save file where I try to make each world a different country, and there unfortunately isn't a lot of in-game content I can use to create those authentic environments. But with these packs, I get to do a lot more, and it spawns great CC for whatever Maxis can't squeeze into the pack.

Outside of that save file, part of the fantasy when playing the Sims is being able to travel anywhere and do anything. So sending my Sims to Mt. Komorebi for a day of skiing and then relaxing at the onsen is perfect. If the team can continue to weave these cultural elements into different packs, I would be pretty happy with it!

I'm also a huge fan of the updated skin and hairs, so I say keep them coming! They help with representation, but it also brings some of the older base game hairs up to speed with the newer technology. I don't use some of the old hairs just because their textures are so bad compared with what we have now.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Ditto. This isnt a fashion game. Sims 4 cares too much about appearances or the superficial. People are too worried about what their sims are (gender, race) and not worried enough about WHO their sims are (personality, interests, hobbies, memories).

We want consequences and personality for our sims. Some do want political correctness or Diversity™ because as soon as something that is diverse is added, but not the kind of diversity you want (i.e shrines) it gets twitter cancelled. We're tired of the game being manipulated as a political or social issue tool. Keep activism and politics out the game and let us just play.

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!! You barely heard any complaints about skin in sims 2, at least I don't remember, because those sims HAD personality. You knew when they were, happy or angry. We didn't need a buff to tell us. There was a memory system so we could understand what happened to them in their life. Big events were important to them and the sims felt more connected to each other not just existing in the same world. I personally think sentiments are just not enough in Sims 4.

I have to say I am tired of the game's focus being on diversity and political correctness and LESS ON MAKING IT FUN and MEANINGFUL. I wish the devs never opened that can of worms because they will never get it right anyways. Someone will always say it is not enough.

I agree with you 100 percent! Nobody worried about political correctness or representation in Sims 1 or Sims 2 or Sims 3..they just liked having fun and enjoying the game. Sims 4 seems to be all about political correctness and representation. Whatever happened to just ENJOYING the game and not worrying about representation or diversity?

I'm praying sims 5 will be more like Sims 1-3,where people just enjoyed the game and didn't worry about being represented or politically correct.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Plumb0b_ClairePlumb0b_Claire Posts: 63 Member
    I love that representation was added into the game. It added flavour and vibrancy where it lacked. We have a ton of skintones, better textured hairs, sliders for makeup, and CAS/Build/Buy items as well. It added some value to the base game where some, including me, felt it lacked.

But the CAS/Build/Buy is great and for that very reason it proves we spend way too much time in it and not enough in-game playing our sims. We don't need more contours, jewellery or accessories. I see way too many simmers speak on how they enter CAS, make a pretty sim and exit game, or that CAS is all that they play (and that's okay too; no judgement!).

Our CAS/Build/Buy has numerous options, an abundance of things to choose from. I wish game play could be on that level as well. There's nothing for us once we select done. Enriched, diverse game play is needed.

The developers time and resources NEED to be poured into a greater game play experience. The Sims 4 feels like the neglected child. :(
    Here's my response to what I think will add depth to the basegame in the Sims 411 - Forum Feedback!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959481#Comment_17959481
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2021
    I will do my best not to come across as being "political" for that is NOT my intent. I want to start out with that I love the Representation we have in the game. From February showcasing Black Simmers to LatinX/Hispanic History Month being celebrated and LBGTQIA sims in every pack since Cats and Dogs added to the game.

However more really needs to be done. I will do my best to keep it sweet without trying to offend anybody.

With that said I'll explain why I'm disappointed with the Cottage Living pack and focusing on farming. I feel that groups races ethnicities and cultures not in the sims at all with ZERO representation should be a higher priority to adding in farming or for that matter occult sims. I think that fixing serious problems in the game should be fixed before any added kits and packs are introduced. Those should be the sims team's first priority in my opinion. I could be completely happy with fewer problems bugs and issues in the game if it means no new kits or packs for a year or two.

We have Pacific Islanders with representation in the game. Nothing added that is actually part of the culture like Hula dancing or even Luaus as added food and parties for our sims.

We have Japanese Representation kind of. When I think of Japan I don't think snowboarding skiing or even rock climbing. I think fishing, tokusatsu, great foods like sushi, sentai, stage shows, Tea Ceremony, anime, J-Dramas, J-Pop, manga, Japanese Gardens and so much more. Which really wasn't added with Snowy Escape. I end up just deleting and rebuilding the world. I have to use CC to set up a proper Japanese Tea House with a tea ceremony laid out.

We have LatinX/Hispanic Representation to a point though it's Mexican based. There are more LatinX and Hispanic cultures than just Mexican.

We have Black Representation that really needs improving with better hair and some more skintones added in. Even added foods have a world with the beauty of Harlem and Black communities throughout the world. One of my best friends growing up still lives in Harlem. I used to hang out with him and his mom taught me how to cook. She is one of the most amazing human beings I have ever met.

There isn't Native American/Canada's First People Represented at all I know that every Nation/tribe being represented is kind of impossible.

There aren't a lot of cultures ethnicities and races represented yet in the game.

Asians are more than just the Japanese. There are Indians, Middle Easterners, Chinese, Koreans and so on.

What about European cultures with French, Italian, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese and so on.

My list goes on.

What about the Disabled? I know it's impossible to get every disability out there but wheelchairs hearing aids walkers elevators and canes aren't that difficult. There is CC and mods out there for these items. I know some people don't want it at all. But I have mods and Custom traits to represent some disabilities and mental health.

I understand not wanting to offend and trigger people. I understand that as a company being politically correct is an absolute must. I understand that they don't want to misrepresent and poorly represent or do something that would be utterly insulting and stereotypical even to thoughts outside that race, culture or ethnicity. I understand religion and politics cannot be done without upsetting and offending and triggering somebody. For religion and politics, every political party worldwide and every religion added in including atheism and anarchy.

It shouldn't be the responsibility of CC creators and modders to get this done at all.

No to disabilities, mental health etc...I will refer you to the remove the lactose intolerant trait thread. As I said over there, don't even ask if this community cannot even get through having a lactose intolerant trait, there is NO WAY they will get through disabilities or mental health issues. I can just see the thread now. I suffer from xyz and I think it should be removed because it is offensive to me.

Exactly. This community likes to preach diversity but actually they only mean fluff. Diversity for me but not for thee type mindset.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

My list goes on.

Exactly. This community likes to preach diversity but actually they only mean fluff. Diversity for me but not for thee type mindset.

This is so true.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I would like it if this weren't a dichotomy of diversity or gameplay. My opinion is somewhere in the middle because I think this is a better game with the level of diversity that they have added and I like that the game can clearly be more inclusive. I don't think that the idea of sacrificing diversity for gameplay is a good one at all.

At the same time, I do agree that the game needs more gameplay, more to do, more ways to actually play. There are a lot of different forms of gameplay. Cottage Living's style is one form of that. Personally I really enjoyed Snowy Escape, it has a lot of gameplay whether you are playing with Japanese characters, playing with the very snowy area or just traveling. I had a minor petpeeve that they did not update the cocktail list to have any Asian-inspired cocktails at the bar. This meant that sending my sims to those bars felt exactly like sending them anywhere else. I get that they would probably still have a lot of the drinks from the other worlds but I think it was an oversight.

One of the challenges that I see is that I agree with the comments that a lot of the game has basically been geared to 8 year olds. I think most of the players are teens to adults and the game should reflect that more by making sure to continue to update gameplay for adults. I'm not just talking about WooHoo which they continue to add. (I think they should but I think they need to make the game more grown up in other ways too).

I think it is good that they are adding a lot of cultural stuff and I honestly really enjoy a lot of the cultural packs. I like sending my sims traveling anytime but especially now that we are in a time period in which we are dealing with a public health crisis. I'll admit that it is great to still be able to travel with my sims. That is a form of gameplay and should be kept, but yes, there are a lot of forms of gameplay out there.

The recent discussion from the team this week seemed to indicate that they will add at least 3 new occult forms to TS4. It sounded like they are actually working on fairies, werewolves and zombies. It also sounded like they just aren't ready yet. They were a bit cryptic about adding gameplay as a second priority behind representative game updates. I mean, some of what they are updating is not anything that I personally need like the pre-mades lore update. There are a lot of players who play with the lore more than I do so I am guessing that is for them.

I do think it is a good idea for the community to pressure for more gameplay of different types. That should not be on a backburner.

I will just add that it sounds like there will be a new separate game coming out. If I had to guess, I think it will be a fantasy game of some type. I am actually of the opinion that in the future they might want to split the supernatural and realistic play because then they could release more of both kinds of content. As for TS5, I'm really not sure that I will move on and if I do, I will wait a while - even several years. I do think they are improving TS4 gradually. It does not make sense to abandon it IMO. I have interest in the new engine but I don't think the model of just abruptly starting over is a good one. Likewise, I actually enjoy my game so I will obviously keep playing it.

If they are doing something like a new version of Sims Medieval, I might be interested as long as it isn't all subscription-based or an MMO.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

I agree with you 100 percent! Nobody worried about political correctness or representation in Sims 1 or Sims 2 or Sims 3..they just liked having fun and enjoying the game. Sims 4 seems to be all about political correctness and representation. Whatever happened to just ENJOYING the game and not worrying about representation or diversity?

I'm praying sims 5 will be more like Sims 1-3,where people just enjoyed the game and didn't worry about being represented or politically correct.

Ah yes, when a game was a true game. Sadly things have changed... I don't have faith in the sims 5. Especially if this is the community pushing forward. We older simmers who've been there since the start are not who EA wants to please anymore. And since it seems everything is about political correctness and feel represented I just don't have hope anymore. I'm glad I can go back and play 2 and 3 and live in the nostalgia of better days, IMO, but our time is up.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".