March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What will happen to the gallery when TS4 ends?

Do you think they'll keep the gallery around after TS4 ends? How long do you think it'll be around for before they axe it?

I am awful at building and making sims so I love downloading houses and sims from the gallery. There's also a really lovely community built up around submitting your sims to other people's stories or vice versa which relies on the gallery and I would be sad to see that go.

Comments

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    This is actually something I worry about too. Gallery is my second home😢
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    TS3 Exchange is still active 7 years after TS4’s release. Chances are TS4 Gallery will be around for another 10 years at a minimum.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    @elelunicy I never used the exchange for TS3 so I'm not really familiar with it and I haven't really played TS3 since TS4 came out. Is the exchange quite similar to the gallery for TS4? From what I gather, it's not quite so complex so perhaps wouldn't require as much effort/resources to keep going?
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    @elelunicy I never used the exchange for TS3 so I'm not really familiar with it and I haven't really played TS3 since TS4 came out. Is the exchange quite similar to the gallery for TS4? From what I gather, it's not quite so complex so perhaps wouldn't require as much effort/resources to keep going?

In a lot of ways TS3 Exchange is more complex. TS4 Gallery are mostly just lots and Sims. TS3 Exchange meanwhile has entirely new worlds created by players using Create a World, objects/clothing created using Create a Style, and patterns created using Create a Pattern. Also, when players used CC in their creation, the CC items they used would be attached to their uploads. The download files on average are just a lot bigger.

TS3 Exchange is also far less popular than TS4 Gallery. The all time most popular lot on TS3 Exchange is a house uploaded in 2009 and it has like 300k downloads (meanwhile the most popular lots on TS4 Galley have millions of downloads). The most popular lot uploaded within the last year on TS3 Exchange has less than 1000 downloads. It would take years and years after TS4 ends for TS4 Gallery to reach such low download numbers.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Carl_Veluz1992Carl_Veluz1992 Posts: 500 Member
    I hope the gallery stays forever even if TS4 ends
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I would guess it would depend on if TS4 continues to sell well. TS3 is still a hot potato. It still sells many EPs and Stuff packs. They never stopped selling TS3 like they did TS2. TS2's exchange support ended in 2011, (in game downloader) no longer could you go into game and download a lot from the exchange much like how TS4 works..or sort of. TS3's exchange is also in game, and out of game like TS2's. (Similar).
    TS3's store is what keeps it alive as people who didn't buy every piece of content still buy much of the store, today. TS4 doesn't have a store with Maxis created content so I assume the Gallery will be alive and well for a few years after the end of TS4 but since there is no store (yet) it may not last as long as TS3's store and exchange since it would be more like TS2's exchange and not really making EA any money like TS3 can.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Even if the gallery does close one day there will still be things like the Tray Importer program, even if they’re not as convenient as the actual gallery.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I would guess it would depend on if TS4 continues to sell well. TS3 is still a hot potato. It still sells many EPs and Stuff packs. They never stopped selling TS3 like they did TS2. TS2's exchange support ended in 2011, (in game downloader) no longer could you go into game and download a lot from the exchange much like how TS4 works..or sort of. TS3's exchange is also in game, and out of game like TS2's. (Similar).
    TS3's store is what keeps it alive as people who didn't buy every piece of content still buy much of the store, today. TS4 doesn't have a store with Maxis created content so I assume the Gallery will be alive and well for a few years after the end of TS4 but since there is no store (yet) it may not last as long as TS3's store and exchange since it would be more like TS2's exchange and not really making EA any money like TS3 can.

The kits are basically store sets.They probably would keep the gallery open.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    When they do decide to shut down the gallery I hope they at least patch in a bunch of the best user created lots into the game itself, similar to what they were doing with the console edition of the game before it got the gallery update.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited July 2021
    Sims 3 Exchange is still online 7 years later (as long as thesims3.com and TS3 Store stay open).
    Sims 2 Exchange is down since thesims2.ea.com have been closed in 2013 before TS4 was announced.

Sims 4 Gallery should exist until The Sims 6 is announced at least.

TS4 : From 2014 to 2024 or 2029 or more
    TS5 : From 2029? to 2044?
    TS6 : 2044?

At this point you should not worry about what will happen to TS4 Gallery in 23 years.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Wow, 2044. I'll be old by then, too freaky.
    Cinebar wrote: »

The kits are basically store sets.They probably would keep the gallery open.

I agree as long as TS4 is continuing to be sold along side TS5. As I said TS3 is still being sold unlike TS2 so yes, as long as they continue to sell TS4 and it's packs or kits or whatever, the gallery will stay around. It's when they stop selling TS4 the gallery support will end.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    edited July 2021
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

Don't worry-I'm sure EA won't keep Sims 4 going on until 2029, It's unrealistic to assume a Sims game series would go on for THAT long unless EA wants people to switch to Paralives.

Realistically,I think the timeline will be:

2023-Sims 4 ends and Sims 5 begins.

Sims 5-2023-who knows?

When Sims 4 ends and Sims 5 begins,I'm sure the Sims 4 gallery won't be shut down until 3-6 years after Sims 5 releases.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • SephardicSephardic Posts: 251 Member
    There wouldn't exactly be a reason to take down the gallery anyway? It's just a gallery, which doesn't link to a website like the other Sims games. Because it's stationary to just TS4, I guess it's pretty easy to keep up and won't disturb anything linked to TS5, as it's not like people have to monitor the gallery.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

2044, I’m not sure I will still be above ground anymore and if I am, I’m not sure I’ll be playing games still, but, one never knows….
  • Plumb0b_ClairePlumb0b_Claire Posts: 63 Member
    Honestly, I don't even want to speculate. I can't image building my own lots and rely on the gallery a lot. I straight up built squares in sims 2 & 3 and called it a day. Until the Sims 4 came around I was blown away by what people could do. I do think they would keep it up for some time though, can't see them shutting it down when/if Sims 5 is launched.

Cool idea would be is to keep the gallery around as an archive only. So you could only download from it, not upload new creations. That way Sims 4 players could still download whatever is left on there.
    Here's my response to what I think will add depth to the basegame in the Sims 411 - Forum Feedback!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959481#Comment_17959481
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    Life doesn't stop when EA shutdown the servers.

People keep on sharing new houses and households for The Sims 2 on ModTheSims.
    edited August 2021
    No one should be worrying about the gallery for a few more years after TS5 is released. But one thing is true, or possible, most of the well known builders who get thousands of downloads for their creations might not contribute to the gallery anymore if they move on to TS5. That is a possibility because people who enjoy their fifteen minutes of fame will move on to a newer game to remain at the top of the food chain. Gamechangers will move on to TS5 to remain relevant, and most of those who love TS4 but have a high profile here and other places will probably move on to TS5 and not contribute much to the TS4 forums or twitter feeds etc. anymore, because everyone knows players who like the 'fame' will go where they can shine and get back on top of the fandom heap.

People who I thought would never mod for TS4 eventually stopped modding and creating content for TS2 and TS3 and moved on to TS4 though it's not a game they love, odd, but true, and those who contribute a whole lot of content to the gallery will also move on to remain known and at the top of the heap in TS5.

So, though the gallery will remain open I'm sure for a few more years or more after TS4 ends, the people who most people look up to for answers and to solve problems and or to upload lots and Sims and all sorts of fandom activity will go with TS5 because that is where they can remain known and get their kicks from their clicks. It's been true over and over even if they don't prefer a newer game.

A new game brings out those who want to be the most known and the most viewed and the gallery might be open for years but those people know will probably not be on it anymore. It's like everyone starts out as a small fish in a big pond and those who do this for fame (and many do and not because they enjoy it) will scramble to plant their flag in a new game and become the big fish and to remain relevant.

Even Crinrict will probably (might have to) move on to TS5 and no longer coordinate the bug forum for TS4.