Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ponds are Coming

2...Next

Comments

• AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,061 Member
    isobel13 wrote: »
    Wait are those ducks?!
    Do you think they could be live ducks or just decorations like the water lilies? I can't remember seeing live ducks in the teaser. Surely it would have been shown in the teaser, along with the other new animals...
    They are indeed just VFX
    https://mobile.twitter.com/SimGuruRomeo/status/1403522700446879746

Oh cool. So we will be able to manually place the ducks and swans on the new ponds rather than wait for them to fly around the area and land on the water (like they do in other worlds). Awesome, so we can really make our ponds look like they're full of life.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    I'm so EXCITED to finally get ponds. I love that these will be in the next update. I find them so beautiful and I can't wait to mess with the FX that you can add. I will probably add a pond of some size to almost every lot because they make things so pretty! It's a shame you can't actually swim in them but I understand. If you add alligator and then your sim was swimming with it, that would be crazy.

I'm hoping these VFX animals will occasionally come out of the water especially the alligator and bask in the sun.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Ok, I will be adding gators to Willow Creek.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited June 2021
    I am confused about why our sims won't be able to swim in the ponds, though. The reason provided is that they want us to be able to customize the ponds to our heart's content, which makes sense - to an extent. Not all ponds will be jagged, deep in the ground etc. If sims would be able to walk over the terrain if there was no water, surely they should be able to route it with water? Sims can wade in shallow water - if the terrain is too jagged or steep to wade, they could get the "unroutable" animation. If the water is deep enough to swim in, it shouldn't really matter what the terrain looks like on the ground since sims can swim over it. I feel like there should be a middle ground with individual ponds being swimmable or not, just like not all terrain with the terrain tools are routable. I can see how climbing into and out of ponds that are steep at the edges could provide problems, but that could be remedied by adding a pool ladder or something similar? Also, getting into and out of pools are possible without ladders, so jumping in and climbing out at certain depths could use those animations?

I like the VFX. It will be nice to fill lots with life in this way, add little backstories to why the animals are there or name the lot around the animals/vegetation etc. And I like that we can stock the ponds with fish and catch them. I also spy a log in the screenshot and they said we'll be getting more decor for ponds - I'm always stoked to get more landscaping options.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Wonder if we'll be able to create murky and swampy looking ponds.

I'd assume that we can use the water paints on the ponds. Maybe a new water paint will be added as the default for ponds, but then we can make them murky with JA and GT water paints etc. It would be nice if we also get a new terrain paint or two: pond pebbles, pond mud with twigs etc. I also wonder whether they'll make it possible to make little waterfalls, or at least make something that looks like a waterfall. The water fountains are the obvious choice, but it would be nice to make something a bit more organic-looking. If we can make the water at the height we want it on top of any appropriate terrain, it would be interesting to experiment with a higher water source and one underneath it, seeing if it makes the water flow down (also applicable to "rivers" with descending terrain height).

I am looking forward to playing with the pond tool for building. I'm already planning to make a nice pond under a willow tree with pine needle terrain paint around it etc. I did this a few times in TS3 so it's activating the nostalgia. It sounds like we'll be able to make deep pits and then put the water to the height we want it, which is giving me ideas for a garbage trench for an apocalyptic save file hehe.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    isobel13 wrote: »
    Wait are those ducks?!
    Do you think they could be live ducks or just decorations like the water lilies? I can't remember seeing live ducks in the teaser. Surely it would have been shown in the teaser, along with the other new animals...

It has been confirmed we ll also get the option to add alligators.
    https://youtu.be/7DyLNTn23ws

So we get Florida's version of ponds. :D

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I didn't know Britain had Alligators? I always though they were only in Australia, US & South America?
  • ReedfishReedfish Posts: 222 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I didn't know Britain had Alligators? I always though they were only in Australia, US & South America?

Actually alligators are only in the US and China - everything else is crocodiles :smile: We certainly don't have them in the UK, but they're being added to the game through the pond tool which is coming as a free BG update, for every world, not just for the England-themed world in the new EP.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Wonder if we will be able to add the alligators and other VFX to swimming pools? For people who want to create swimmable ponds no matter how unhealthy they are. :lol:
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

As @Reedfish says there are no alligators in the UK, its not warm enough here. I think the largest reptile we have is an Adder, a snake, which is venomous, but not particularly aggressive or deadly. I came across a nest of Adders once, as a child while playing but fortunately escaped unharmed.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I like the updated ponds and I'm ok with wading rather than full swimming. It makes them a bit different and if I really want a pool, I can build one.

As for the alligators, those aren't British. Those would just be to add complexity to some of the hotter climates. Alligators are in the southeast in the US. They can be found as far north as North and South Carolina. I had to look this up but it appears that Australia has crocodiles, similar but not the same. Florida swimming pools usually have screens or protective fences because of alligators. They are also found in Louisiana. Rarely, they attack people. I had to look this up but apparently there are rare Chinese alligators.

Eh, they add some detail to some of the worlds.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I was watching a video of a gamechanger where you see the animals in ponds, and the swans looked and acted like rubber ducks, they don’t look like real animals in my opinion. Just like the Koï fishes in SE.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    Untitled.png
    The turtle is so freaking ugly, I love it. Kind of hope a future update gives us turtles in tanks, or turtles as pets. It would be one of the few times where I'm actively hoping they reuse some of their assets.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited July 2021
    The pond animals are base game so the alligator is nothing to do the with new upcoming pack being uk based. Going on what another simmer said our most “deadliest” animal (I say this loosely as we have none) is the false widow spider which causes nasty bites which can hide in wellies (the rain boots that come with this pack). We do have snakes but they are harmless actually our cows/bulls are more harmful then the snakes we have. Anyway back on topic I really don’t like how the ducks/swans just move in circles and not across the ponds I’m finding that really annoying when seeing the gamechanger videos on the pond tool.
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited July 2021
    netney52 wrote: »
    The pond animals are base game so the alligator is nothing to do the with new upcoming pack being uk based. Going on what another simmer said our most “deadliest” animal (I say this loosely as we have none) is the false widow spider which causes nasty bites which can hide in wellies (the rain boots that come with this pack). We do have snakes but they are harmless actually our cows/bulls are more harmful then the snakes we have. Anyway back on topic I really don’t like how the ducks/swans just move in circles and not across the ponds I’m finding that really annoying when seeing the gamechanger videos on the pond tool.

I will add to this by saying that British badgers are absolutely vicious creatures (full of rabies too). Do NOT go anywhere near badgers or their sets if you ever find yourself in England. Swans are pretty terrifying too. Never mess with an animal that can literally shatter your arm bone with one smack of their wing!
  • MrSimGamer112MrSimGamer112 Posts: 29 Member
    Really like the ponds update makes a difference to my gardens 😃