Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The sims 4 Cottage Living Negativity thread.

Comments

• PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    The picnic basket looks pretty useless to me, other than for maybe storytelling reasons.
    You could easily just put food in your inventory and take it with you. There's not even an animation for taking it out of the basket. And the fact that you can't lay on the ground with it really makes it pointless.

I guess EA couldn't afford to spare a few dimes to pay the animators to make picnic animations :D

Yeah, the picnic basket is pretty disappointing. I had hoped it would be similar to the ones in the Sims 3, where they usually spawn in parks and any Sim can sit on the ground, grab some food and chat with the locals. I think it would have made sense for a place like Henford-on-Bagley. I wouldn't have been bothered if they used and adjusted the animation from the Kotatsu table in Snowy Escape, at least then the picnic basket would have had some more functionality to it than being just another inventory item.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    So I won first place for my pie, and third place for my llama. Now that was lovely and all, but I felt completely meh about it. I mean my Sim hung around until midnight to just get a small pop up in the corner after everything disappeared.. They could have at least had the Mayor place the ribbons on the entry or shake your hand, anything really. The fair is so incredibly boring, all the Sims just crowd around the speaker dancing.. that’s it?!? Oh I mean you get a few little comments about the entries in a pop up in the corner, that is if you bother to read them. :#

I completely agree about the fairs. I mean I think all the sims 4 festivals are meh so I shouldn’t be surprised but the new ones are lame. Once you submit your entry you wait and watch a bunch of sims dancing. Boring.

My cow also came third in the cow competition. But there was only two cows in the competition.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    So I won first place for my pie, and third place for my llama. Now that was lovely and all, but I felt completely meh about it. I mean my Sim hung around until midnight to just get a small pop up in the corner after everything disappeared.. They could have at least had the Mayor place the ribbons on the entry or shake your hand, anything really. The fair is so incredibly boring, all the Sims just crowd around the speaker dancing.. that’s it?!? Oh I mean you get a few little comments about the entries in a pop up in the corner, that is if you bother to read them. :#

I completely agree about the fairs. I mean I think all the sims 4 festivals are meh so I shouldn’t be surprised but the new ones are lame. Once you submit your entry you wait and watch a bunch of sims dancing. Boring.

My cow also came third in the cow competition. But there was only two cows in the competition.

??! Well that's a new one.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    The bulk of the pack’s animation budget went into the animals according to SimGuruPopcorn when asked about cows being abducted by aliens.

So that’s why canning was included in cooking, and those items can be used as ingredients for other recipes in game.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member

I’m not sure what I was expecting either to be honest. I feel like the City Living ones are a bit better, just because the other Sims spread out more (getting food, ordering drinks, bubble blower, playing music, etc). The ones from IL, SE, and this one really have nothing much to do.
  • KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    I thought the purpose of the sims 4 being not open world was for it to run better. Not to have backdrops everywhere and STILL be laggy/buggy/lacking. CoL is another proof of that. What makes it worse is that they have less to work with and still gives us so many bugs and half executed ideas. The fact that the Zoomy delivery system is glitchy shows that they didn't even test the patch with just the base since it does work for people with CoL. Either that or they did see it but saw it as another "we'll fix it later in a patch or leave it up to modders.".
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited July 2021
    Posting when hangry is always a bad idea...
    Post edited by Felicity on
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Awe nuts, Cows can't get abducted by Aliens. That old poster was so wrong.
  • TomiowTomiow Posts: 5 New Member
    what happens with the “mayor” once the NPC Lavinia Chopra dies? There’s no mayor anymore? The game creates a new mayor?🧐
    Tomiow wrote: »
    what happens with the “mayor” once the NPC Lavinia Chopra dies? There’s no mayor anymore? The game creates a new mayor?🧐
    The game will create a new mayor, it will just be a random spawned NPC.
  • TomiowTomiow Posts: 5 New Member
    [quote="Kita5399;c-17948204"][quote="Tomiow;c-17948106"]what happens with the “mayor” once the NPC Lavinia Chopra dies? There’s no mayor anymore? The game creates a new mayor?🧐[/quote]
    The game will create a new mayor, it will just be a random spawned NPC. [/quote]

Thanks!!🤗
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm in the farmland area of HoB. There's no collectables near my lot, and it took forever to find a place to fish. I ended up finding a cute little pond, but it was still annoying. There's a ton of empty (and inaccessible) space around, too. (Quasi-)Open world only works when you actually have places you want to go to. Hopefully the other places are more interesting.

Also, the single lady's house is written as being 30x20. But when I loaded it, it seemed to be a lot smaller.

EDIT: They could have put in a few more picnic benches, too. Jeez.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited August 2021
    I wish that there was more than just one Community lot in the town in HoB. I keep visiting the same pub every time I want to visit the town to go shopping or sell groceries. I'm thinking of replacing the other houses in the town with community lots but the area around them looks more like an area for normal houses.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    edited August 2021
    logion wrote: »
    I wish that there was more than just one Community lot in the town in HoB. I keep visiting the same pub every time I want to visit the town to go shopping or sell groceries. I'm thinking of replacing the other houses in the town with community lots but the area around them looks more like an area for normal houses.
    It’s a pity you can’t make a general store. Some of the village stores I’ve been in were redesigned houses. Selling postcards, ice creams and oddments.
    Depending on the size of the house, it could get cramped if a crowd came in!

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    What's the benefit in canning?
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »

I haven't done much of it yet but I guess canning mainly is benefited when you use the Simple Living Lot challenge by being an ingredient to make certain foods and you can also eat it right from the jar or you can sell it. It's a shame they didn't add the ability to spread it on breads or other foods which people use preserves for in real life! What a missed opportunity!
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

The canned items can be used as ingredients in other recipes or sold for more money than the items they were made from. They can also be given as gifts to other sims for a relationship boost.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited August 2021
    Tomiow wrote: »
    The game will create a new mayor, it will just be a random spawned NPC.

Did they at least programmed it so he/she has the appropriate outfit or they didn't even bother?
    alan650111 wrote: »

I haven't done much of it yet but I guess canning mainly is benefited when you use the Simple Living Lot challenge by being an ingredient to make certain foods and you can also eat it right from the jar or you can sell it. It's a shame they didn't add the ability to spread it on breads or other foods which people use preserves for in real life! What a missed opportunity!

It is always like that with them. Same with City Living, you can purchase ''spices'' but can't even add them to a meal, what's the point?
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited August 2021
    Gordy wrote: »
    I'm in the farmland area of HoB. There's no collectables near my lot, and it took forever to find a place to fish. I ended up finding a cute little pond, but it was still annoying. There's a ton of empty (and inaccessible) space around, too. (Quasi-)Open world only works when you actually have places you want to go to. Hopefully the other places are more interesting.

Also, the single lady's house is written as being 30x20. But when I loaded it, it seemed to be a lot smaller.

I would love to hear from Maxis how they design their worlds, because I don't really understand these (Quasi)-Open worlds either. The neighborhood you mentioned have a ...I think it's supposed to be a community garden? There is an area where you can plant some plants, and there is also an area where kids can play, there are even kid toys on the ground...but no one is ever there. And I never feel like visiting that place because it's so far from the farm, even biking there takes a while and since it's not an actual lot my sims just want to run away from there anyway.

I like the small zones like we got in City Living so much better, they feel much more alive with sims walking back and forth and different items spawning in one area.
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Gordy wrote: »

I would love to hear from Maxis how they design their worlds, because I don't really understand these (Quasi)-Open worlds either. The neighborhood you mentioned have a ...I think it's supposed to be a community garden? There is an area where you can plant some plants, and there is also an area where kids can play, there are even kid toys on the ground...but no one is ever there. And I never feel like visiting that place because it's so far from the farm, even biking there takes a while and since it's not an actual lot my sims just want to run away from there anyway.

I like the small zones like we got in City Living so much better, they feel much more alive with sims walking back and forth and different items spawning in one area.

That little garden area is totally broke in my game. When flowers are out of season their flowers are hanging in the air. Plants that are harvest able cannot be harvested but I can water and fertilize but not plant. LOL.

I totally agree with you I have never seen any other Sims at the children's play area or the community garden area. Only the odd fox running through.

I agree moving around the areas appear to take ages. I have noticed Sims not moving as they should since the last patch. I have directed Sims to go downstairs when they are upstairs and they hang around at the top of the stairs that is until I go back to the level they are on in view and then suddenly they move or jump to where I directed them too. It has also been reported that the Chef for the Chez Llama Restaurant hangs outside for ages. I too have encountered this in my game, although the Chef eventually goes in and works but often it is too late to be of any use for my Sims wanting a meal LOL. I wonder if these problems are related in some way.

I don't mind my Sim using the bike to get around the Cottage Living countryside as it contributes to fitness, but agree the area seems a little large. A bit like in the Outdoor Retreat Holiday pack. I get lost trying to find my way around that area! LOL I much prefer a smaller lot, as you say in City Living.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    It is always like that with them. Same with City Living, you can purchase ''spices'' but can't even add them to a meal, what's the point?
    Apparently they can be used in some of the CL recipes, you just need to have a high enough cooking skill and have the spices in your inventory.
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    I really hate myself for buying this pack. I played it for a couple hours and was just so bored with it. Plus I bought the designer pack and a kit as well. After adding $65 to my game I should not be bored after two hours.
  • TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    Apparently they can be used in some of the CL recipes, you just need to have a high enough cooking skill and have the spices in your inventory.

And with the simple living lot challenge, the spices are mandatory ingredients for some of those recepies. My sim had to get chili powder to cook a group serving of samosas.
    edited August 2021
    Sorry if I’m spamming this post, I was trying to respond but I’m getting an error.

@Jordan061102
    Honestly I’m not sure, I haven had that Sim lose her role yet. I just know that’s the case because someone asked a Guru on Twitter, and that was the response they gave. I’ve also spent some time on Answers HQ (the bug report forum) and others are seeing that happen when they attempt to play or house that NPC.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

Yes I know that but this is lame. We should be able to add them to any kind of food for sims who love spices and there should be a little animation.
    Sorry if I’m spamming this post, I was trying to respond but I’m getting an error.

@Jordan061102
    Honestly I’m not sure, I haven had that Sim lose her role yet. I just know that’s the case because someone asked a Guru on Twitter, and that was the response they gave. I’ve also spent some time on Answers HQ (the bug report forum) and others are seeing that happen when they attempt to play or house that NPC.

Ok, it would be interesting to know it. I don't have the pack and I don't plan to buy it till year 3000 so if you happen to experience the death of any of these special NPC's it'd be nice of you to share it!
    Lu4ERme.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top