Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

wanting a computer to hold sims 1-4?

ok so my son and i are trying to build a new computer and before we start i want to figure out what size computer i would need if i wanted to put all 4 sims on it?

does anyone have a recommendations on what i would need and curious if anyone out there has all 4 of their computer?

thanks!!

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I have all of 1, 3 (some store content), and 4 on a 4 TB SSD laptop. I think 2 TB would do it, though, so long as you aren't downloading an entire Steam library with it.
    And, honestly, being conservative a single TB would probably be fine depending on what else you want on it. Sims 4 with all packs is ridiculously small compared to games like Ark.
  • mollymegan82mollymegan82 Posts: 703 Member
    yeah my son just checked and said im only using 18 gb for sims 4, i wouldnt need anything else on the computer since that is all i use it for
    but sometimes i feel nostalgic and want to play 1-3 and i remember 3 taking up alot of hard drive!
    edited July 2021
    So going through my files, 4 takes up 47.8 GB and I believe I have genuinely everything (Sims 3 trophies and all) and 3 takes up 31.9 GB with all packs, some store content, and one CAW world (though not the tool). Comparatively 1 and 2 will be nothing. Not to mention mods, the CAW tool, store content, the Sims Medieval (which is 5.93 GB with the expansion on my laptop), and whatever else you want.

I only said 2 TB because I thought there would be other things. 1 TB sounds like plenty with room to spare.

Fun fact, that game I mentioned earlier is 334.91 GB. So there are some real storage hogs out there. You were right to be concerned. Even my own old laptop (I just switched in January) had under 500 GB, so the Sims could take up at least a 4th of an entire OS.
    thank you so much for helping me out!! :)
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I have 1TB and have all of TS1, TS2, TS3 + most of the store, TS4 (excluding 1 GP & 1 kit), loads of CC for 2,3,&4, The Sims Medieval, plus two other games on it.
    I also store thousands of photos and still have space.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Keep in mind it might be difficult to get Sims 1 and 2 to run well on a new computer.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    Keep in mind it might be difficult to get Sims 1 and 2 to run well on a new computer.

I had to jump through a lot of hoops, but I played TS1 I think last year....? At least it was on a Win10 PC, I think its 8 years old.

For my new pc that I got this month, I got a 1TB SSD, which will be enough for all Sims games, the few other games I have in Origin, my entire Steam library, the 10-12 games I have on Gog and Wow (which alone is around 71GB). I also got a 1TB HD just for backups, pictures, misc. documents, all kinds of files I want to keep.

1 TB will be more than enough for Sims 1-4. But, get 1 extra if you can. You never know!
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Sims uses a lot of resources so a decent gaming computer is a must - SSD to install and run the game on is a must, especially if you want to use cc.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
    ok so the other things im trying to figure out is what everyones specs are on their computers so i can go off of them? thanks
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I have an ASUS ROG laptop from 2017 that came with a 1 TB HDD, and that's enough space to install all 4 Sims games on it. I also added a 500 GB SSD later on to make boot ups faster, but 1 TB should be enough for everything

Roughly speaking, I have a 6th gen i7, a GTX 1070, and 16 GB of RAM. You can run any of the Sims games on a bit less

Note that Sims 1 and 2 might need a bit of troubleshooting to install and have them working properly. Especially Sims 2.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    You just need an HDD that can hold all 4, not necessarily a new PC. 2 TB HDDs are cheap now.

how does this one look??

10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
    Windows 10 Home
    NVIDIA® GeForce GTX® 1650 Ti
    15.6-inch FHD Touch Display
    1TB Solid State Drive
    16GB Memory
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member

how does this one look??

10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
    Windows 10 Home
    NVIDIA® GeForce GTX® 1650 Ti
    15.6-inch FHD Touch Display
    1TB Solid State Drive
    16GB Memory

That looks almost identical to my PC, except I am using a desktop with 23" monitor and just an HDD, not an SSD.

I run on ultra, my game looks amazing, no lag, no long loading times, I have all DLC (except JtB) and close to 30GB of CC.
    ASUS Vivobook 15 15.6" FHD Laptop Computer, Intel Quard-Core i7 1065G7 up to 3.9GHz, 36GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD, AC WiFi, Bluetooth, Webcam, Grey, Windows 10 S, BROAGE 500GB External HD

what about this one?
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited August 2021
    Sims4 have gotten pretty demanding over the years, I'm not sure you need an amazing graphics card because the sims4 is not the greatest when it comes to making use of it's power.

But I do feel that you need a good CPU. Otherwise I think you will experience simulation lag.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    ASUS Vivobook 15 15.6" FHD Laptop Computer, Intel Quard-Core i7 1065G7 up to 3.9GHz, 36GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD, AC WiFi, Bluetooth, Webcam, Grey, Windows 10 S, BROAGE 500GB External HD

what about this one?

Does it have a dedicated graphics card? You'll want something good to play TS3 and TS4

The first one you mentioned over a week ago would be enough
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?