Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are we ever gonna get improvements in existing Expansions?

Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
edited July 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I remember there was once a survey considering improving existing expansions packs and they sure need it. I mean it's a live service game and other games like that do revisit previous dlc's etc to see why people do not use certain features and then try to improve it. Why don't they do that for TS4? Live service isn't only about adding dlc's all the time to make people pay and no added improvements. Anyway, here's a quick 5 minutes video of Carl's sim guide where he explains it way better than me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tBMHI5NXTM
Lu4ERme.gif
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Comments

• dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    the fact we still dont even have something as simple as toddler mannequins,,,,
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,767 Member
    This is actually a very interesting point to bring up. I would like to see revisions and little updates outside of bug fixes added to existing expansion packs, definitely! Can’t think of anything super specific right at this moment, other than that I’d like some more animations for spellcaster duels in RoM, maybe effects improvements to make the spells look cooler (I know there are likely mods but I can’t use them), and possible pet dragons (more like the TS3 ones, as opposed to the existing familiar.)

Bug fixes and the basegame updates aside, I am guessing that most of the work is put into the upcoming new stuff because it’s more profitable in a way. I doubt a game company would want to spend a lot of time or money revising and adding to things that many people already have paid for, when they can focus the bulk of the workload on the cool new thing and push trying to get it out as quickly as they can. Quite a few other games that I’ve played have been stunted content- wise because of rushed releases.

I agree though, it’d be good for them to revise some of the DLC now and again. Bug fixes are good and all, but maybe revisiting the older expansions content-wise is worth it, seeing what improvements players might want in each pack and then going from there.
    they/them or she/her
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I think they should and I have known many other games that do, but 4 has always drawn a distinction between BG (which gets free updates to content) and DLC (which gets fixes at best). You could argue it is the DLC volume, but as someone that plays Paradox games they often rework stuff for crosspack and improvements with the DLC. DLC content isn't arbitrarily untouchable (and some stuff is stripped for BG occasionally, too). Plus they did not even attempt it early on.

I suspect now that they are unwilling simply because it would open the floodgates. 7 years of complaints about certain packs. If they addressed even the most grievous they would then have to defend why they would still not touch other packs. I can understand the headache they are trying to avoid, but I do not think it will be all to different to the headache now. Plus, I think the are adverse to cutting down the beneficiaries on the basis of goodwill. Improve GTW? Only pack owners will care and benefit. *shrug*

As I said earlier, I think they should. This is a headache of their own making and which has been handled in different ways by other games with similar DLC structures, but this far in I do nkt think they will. I genuinely think they will announce 5 before considering proper pack updates.
  • Simcity_TrainsSimcity_Trains Posts: 107 Member
    Nope,. EA are just gonna release more packs, being greedy and counting piles of cash Ugh modern Ea
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited August 2021
    I fear not. Knowing EA they will make sure the game ends up being a pain to play to force players to buy the new shiny and trendy The Sims 5 or whatever is in development. Like it never happened before... caugh... The Sims 3 ...caugh...
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I remember there was once a survey considering improving existing expansions packs and they sure need it. I mean it's a live service game and other games like that do revisit previous dlc's etc to see why people do not use certain features and then try to improve it. Why don't they do that for TS4? Live service isn't only about adding dlc's all the time to make people pay and no added improvements. Anyway, here's a quick 5 minutes video of Carl's sim guide where he explains it way better than me.

They really have too. To be fair I really enjoyed cottage living and loved it. However I can't help but notice, when you open the game for thr first time in Get To work it will show you that the Major features are Doctor, Scientist, Detective and Retail. Each of them are big. But when you open Cottage Living for the first time one of the major features that is shown to you is......Simple living....a Lot challenge/trait. Coty Living includes a maltitude of lot traits yet those are not part of the main features when you open the game.....yet in Cottage Living they are..
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I forgot too don't remind me about the main new features in Island Living 😆 No new gameplay systems all of which are just objects. Sunbathing, sandcastles and sand activities are considered a major feature on that EP, whereareas in Island Paradise they are just an extra with the highlights being the underwater world, discoverable island and houseboats.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Hah, no. Why would they do that? People keep buying packs with less and less content in them so it's more profitable for them to try to figure out how little they can shove into a pack and still be able to sell them. And I'm not even sure that they should revisit old packs as they may just break something and never be able to fix it (see Pangu's Haven from Sims 3 World Adventures).
    It seems the majority of us were wrong, myself included. I cannot help but be glad about it, too. There is going to at least be one GP refresh.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    It seems the majority of us were wrong, myself included. I cannot help but be glad about it, too. There is going to at least be one GP refresh.

I hope we get more pack updates. Especially some of the older expansions
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I do not think any existing EPs will get improvements as previous versions never got improvements that I can think of. EA/Maxis goal to me is to go forward regardless of whatever state the packs are in.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I do not think any existing EPs will get improvements as previous versions never got improvements that I can think of. EA/Maxis goal to me is to go forward regardless of whatever state the packs are in.

I am not so sure. I think with them committing to a pack refresh at all, anything is now on the table.

I remember them doing it through sequential DLC, namely. Think Sims 3 vampires. Came with Late Night and reworked through Supernatural. I don't think this was the only example, but I am blanking. Though I suppose we could argue that the Sims 3 store sold pack related improvements in some areas. *shrug*
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member

I doubt that the Sims 4 will get much in the way of updates or improvement at this stage. Given what has happened with the previous series when the last of those EP's came out a lot of game play issues were never address and just left and then next series appeared.

I do look forward to the new things added into the Sims 4 but I always find myself longing to have some of the interactions that the previous Sims series gave us. I wish problems in the game would be addressed instead of bringing more and more stuff for us to buy while things are not working as they should in the game.

For me personally I don't like playing Romantic Sims in the Sims 4. Before we had interactions in the Sims 2 like slow dance etc and it was easier to make out. I find building up romance in the Sims 4 to be a pain. I hate it when a sim get the wish to "make out" in the Sims 4 as you have to find somewhere to sit and often the interaction is not there if the romance meter is low. It's no fun taking a Sim on a date, no playing footsie under the table or caressing hands. You can't phone up a Sim and ask them out on a date. The whole romance thing in the Sims 4 to me is boring.

I feel the whole talk interaction menu needs an overhaul having sub menus. Trying to find the particular phrase I want to chat to another Sim about is tiresome trawling through all the options until I find the one I want. And it gets boring when in confidence mood to keep wanting to "show muscles, tell an unbelievable story, or propose a crazy scheme". They are always at the end of the menu and takes quite a few clicks to find them. These kind of interactions that are similar should be grouped together and the ones most used put at the front. (I use the traditional menu style as I couldn't get on with the other one)

I understand they probably trying to keep the game fresh by finding new things but there were plenty of really great things in the previous series of the Sims that were fun to play and they should be re-used. I see lots of things that could build on previous Sim games to make a better game.

I personally find there is too much content in the Sims 4 I find it overwhelming. Do we really need to have so many decorative things, clothing or other objects. I loved how we could customize clothing and furniture in the Sims 3 to make something different. It would be better to have less of these things and let the player chose how they want to decorate it.