Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 won't work

sara4681sara4681 Posts: 120 Member
Just bought the Sims 2 from a friend. But my computer keep telling me that there's no disc? I put the disc in my laptop, and nothing happens. I manual click on the dvd icon and it's telling me that there's no disc.

What to do? :(
Woohoo, Coffee and Rock n' Roll!

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    sara4681 wrote: »
    Just bought the Sims 2 from a friend. But my computer keep telling me that there's no disc? I put the disc in my laptop, and nothing happens. I manual click on the dvd icon and it's telling me that there's no disc.

You tell your friend to give you your money back. :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • sara4681sara4681 Posts: 120 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    sara4681 wrote: »

You tell your friend to give you your money back. :p

Haha I will, but had hoped that there would be another solution :neutral:
  • LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    @sara4681
    What versions of Windows is on your computer?
    Just in case:
    Check the disk is clean before you insert into the disk drive otherwise the disk drive wont recognise it.
    @sara4681
    What versions of Windows is on your computer?
    Just in case:
    Check the disk is clean before you insert into the disk drive otherwise the disk drive wont recognise it.

It's windows 8. How do I check the disk if it's clean?
    Update: it works on my littlebrothers. So its my laptop that's "ill"

How do I get it to run on my own?
    @sara4681
    If it is running on your little brother's computer, the disk must be clean.
    To check if it is clean, give it a rub with a dry cloth from time to time - it can get dusty or someone can put thumb or finger prints on it. :)

Does your laptop run other programmes?
    When you are trying to install, prepare your computer first with some maintenance - disk clean up and defragment then restart the laptop.
    Turn off the internet and any background programmes especially anti-virus (Norton) then follow the instructions to install.

I don't have Windows 8 but I think it is Windows 10 that players have issues trying to play The Sims and Sims2.
    Hope this helps?
    Good luck with your game! :)
    @sara4681
    If it is running on your little brother's computer, the disk must be clean.
    To check if it is clean, give it a rub with a dry cloth from time to time - it can get dusty or someone can put thumb or finger prints on it. :)

Does your laptop run other programmes?
    When you are trying to install, prepare your computer first with some maintenance - disk clean up and defragment then restart the laptop.
    Turn off the internet and any background programmes especially anti-virus (Norton) then follow the instructions to install.

I don't have Windows 8 but I think it is Windows 10 that players have issues trying to play The Sims and Sims2.
    Hope this helps?

My llittle brother have 10, and it runs almost smoothly.

I will try it when i come home, thank you! My computer is old, so maybe it could be the reason it acting up :P
    @sara4681
    In my experience, playing The Sims and Sims2 is easier on an old computer! :)
    Most of the time, it is just doing a little maintenance and turning off other programmes.
    Good luck! :)
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I'm on W7, and I did once get TS1&2 to run inside a WXP virtual machine, but then even that stopped working as the virtual machine somehow conflicted with my other programmes, but I've never tried that is W8 so I've no idea if it would work or not.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    @BabySquare
    The Sims and Sims2 were designed to run on Windows XP; however both do not like other programmes running in the background especially anti-virus.
    I have Windows7 and can play The Sims as long as I run as administrator and I removed a Windows Update.
    I play Sims2 in compatibility mode for Windows XP.
    I think it is Windows 10 that players have a problem running both these games.
    > @LadysimPlayer8 said:
    > @BabySquare
    > The Sims and Sims2 were designed to run on Windows XP; however both do not like other programmes running in the background especially anti-virus.
    > I have Windows7 and can play The Sims as long as I run as administrator and I removed a Windows Update.
    > I play Sims2 in compatibility mode for Windows XP.
    > I think it is Windows 10 that players have a problem running both these games.

I ran sims 2 on W7 fine, until I had to do a full system recovery - since then putting disc 1 in does nothing except making the edges of any open windows flicker non stop. :(
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Posts: 1 New Member
    Sorry to derail the discussion, but I'm having a similar problem and cant post a new discussion on the forums.

-I've been trying to install and play the Sims 2 CD and the Expansions. I have Windows 7 (new sound cards, drivers, video cards) and can install and play the original game fine.
    -The expansions would terminate during the installation when it asked to verify my original game disk, so I installed the update patch which fixed that.
    -Now I can install expansions, but as soon as I run the game it freezes. Right after playing the intro movie, I hear an error message and then nothing.
    _The game isnt loading, its completely stalled.
    -Ive tried running as administrator, running in compatibility mode for XP (SP 2), deleting temporary files ("Groups.cache"), installing different expansions to see if I was having problems with 1 of them, reinstalling and installing update patches for the expansions.

I have AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials installed, but they havent picked up anything to make me think they are stopping the game. Also tried running it without the internet on.

Any help wold be appreciated, as I am getting desperate for solutions.
  • SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    realtek drivers? if so a friend of mine says that can be flakey and you should try rolling back to an older driver.
    Hey everyone! Thanks for all the help! I cleaned my disk and it worked! I hope I can play it now without any failure :)
    @BabySquare
    What open windows are flickering when you put Disk 1 to play The Sims?
    As previously advised, no other programmes should be open when you are playing The Sims or Sims2 including the internet.
    Right click on the programme and select "Run as Administrator" to play the game.
    If there is no response, you probably have the Windows Update installed - KB3086255 - which prevents The Sims from running.
    Go to Windows Update/ Installed Update and search for this update and uninstall.
    Exit Windows Update and restart your computer.
    Turn on your internet connection and go back to Windows Update and check for updates.
    This update will appear (on a list?), right click on this update to hide.
    Install any other updates and restart your computer.
    Turn off your internet connection and right click on The Sims and select "Run as Administrator" to play the game.
    Good luck! :)
    edited April 2016
    I can't even install it anymore, let alone run it - I put disc 1 in to install it, nothing happens, so I figured I'd need to go to my computer so I could right click on the drive to install/run the disc, but when I right click on the drive nothing happens, as in, literally nothing, and the edge of the start menu, and the edge of the my computer window, and any other windows flicker like crazy - really fast flickering; the mouse becomes unresponsive and I have the hit the keys on the keyboard REALLY HARD if I want to type anything.
    Only when I put the disc in the drive. I take the disc out and restart the computer and everything's normal, until I put the disc in again and click the start button - then the start menu starts flickering again.
    I've tried running the disc drive in compatibility mode, and as administrator, I've tried disabling my antivirus - nothing works.

This has only happened since I did a full system recovery for an unrelated reason; before I had all of sims 2 installed - it had installed perfectly and it ran perfectly which is why I can't understand it. I thought maybe the base game discs had been corrupted somehow so I bought another copy - same thing happens. :s
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    I can't even install it anymore, let alone run it - I put disc 1 in to install it, nothing happens, so I figured I'd need to go to my computer so I could right click on the drive to install/run the disc, but when I right click on the drive nothing happens, as in, literally nothing, and the edge of the start menu, and the edge of the my computer window, and any other windows flicker like crazy - really fast flickering; the mouse becomes unresponsive and I have the hit the keys on the keyboard REALLY HARD if I want to type anything.
    Only when I put the disc in the drive. I take the disc out and restart the computer and everything's normal, until I put the disc in again and click the start button - then the start menu starts flickering again.
    I've tried running the disc drive in compatibility mode, and as administrator, I've tried disabling my antivirus - nothing works.

This has only happened since I did a full system recovery for an unrelated reason; before I had all of sims 2 installed - it had installed perfectly and it ran perfectly which is why I can't understand it. I thought maybe the base game discs had been corrupted somehow so I bought another copy - same thing happens. :s

I am not very tech savvy, but this is the only thing I can think of. Are you sure you have enough hard drive space and virtual memory to run the game? It sounds like you're severely taxing your computer and it just can't handle the game. You said you did a full system recovery, and that would put your computer back to it's original configuration/default settings, etc. It's possible that something went wrong there, and that it's not the game, but your computer. You might want to have a professional take a look at your computer to see if something went wrong with the system recovery.
    @BabySquare
    Please confirm which Sims game you are trying to install?

My Sims2 base game is a DVD - please try playing a DVD movie on your computer?
    Does it play?
    If not, it could be the Emulation Software (SecuRom) that stops DVD's from running to prevent illegal copying of the Sims2 games - I think EA put this software on the Bon Voyage expansion pack.
    N.B. CDs will still run on your disk drive.

This link may help you: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-2/The-Sims-2-quot-Conflict-with-Emulation-Software-detected-quot/td-p/13098

edited April 2016
    The sims 2 base game, 4 disc version.

I've got a blueray drive, and I can play CDs and DVDs fine, though I've never tried a blueray disc as I don't own any.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    The sims 2 base game, 4 disc version.

I've got a blueray drive, and I can play CDs and DVDs fine, though I've never tried a blueray disc as I don't own any.

Have you asked EA's Customer support for help? It's under Help near the bottom of the page. :)
    Not yet, I've had a lot going on recently.
    @BabySquare
    I had hoped my reply would have resolved the issue but if your DVD's are working since the computer system restore, then it is not that.
    As Rflong7 suggests, you are best to contact EA Games Support as probably a direct download of the Ultimate Collection is the best fix.
    Wishing you well! :)
    @BabySquare
    I had hoped my reply would have resolved the issue but if your DVD's are working since the computer system restore, then it is not that.
    As Rflong7 suggests, you are best to contact EA Games Support as probably a direct download of the Ultimate Collection is the best fix.
    Wishing you well! :)

Thank you. :) I'll get on it when I have a moment.
  • Destroyer09070Destroyer09070 Posts: 1 New Member
    I am having the same problem. I followed all the advice. It didn't work, but then right before I took the disk out after about 5-10 min., the CPU detected it. Unfortunately, it was too late and the disk drive opened. I'm going to try again, and thanks for the help!