Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do we have to grow oranges for orange juice now? [CoL]

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
My Sim has an illness that I wanted them to cure with a glass of oj, but I don't see the Quick Meal option on my Sim's fridge.

I added the new "simple" lot trait or whatever it's called and I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Is there a new orange crop I have to plant so that I can use those oranges to make orange juice?

I'll remove my food related mods tomorrow and see if that made a difference. I think I have maybe 3 or so, but just wanted to ask if anyone else was experiencing this.

Comments

• Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    No quick meals with the new lot challenge. It takes them away.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited July 2021
    Quick meals defy the point of the whole challenge. Make a couple of batches of meals and snack food for the fridge, drink bottled milk or fizzed juice etc.

For illnesses there are various other options:
    • Medicine cures the illness.
    • Naps can help any symptoms.
    • Tea helps in the same way as orange juice. Healthy Green (Happy moodlet) or Bee Tea (requires Honey) are my go-to choices.
    • Baths/soaks can soothe "Scratchy" moodlets and might also help with fever.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Quick meals defy the point of the whole challenge. Make a couple of batches of meals and snack food for the fridge, drink bottled milk or fizzed juice etc.

• Tea helps in the same way as orange juice. Healthy Green (Happy moodlet) or Bee Tea (requires Honey) are my go-to choices.

But what about orange juice? Is there not an option to make it for a simple living lot?
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited July 2021

But what about orange juice? Is there not an option to make it for a simple living lot?

No, because while OJ exists in the sim world, oranges themselves don't, yet. Nor does any way to extract the juice.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Akl500P wrote: »
    No quick meals with the new lot challenge. It takes them away.

Wow I never would’ve thought the lot trait would remove the orange juice! We can get milk from cows but no other solution for the orange juice? I think that’s kinda odd.

Aside from oj I usually do naps to cure illnesses. I didn’t know that about the teas and baths, so I may try those out.

You all saved me from having to 50/50 my mods tomorrow, whew!
  • Options
    bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    I need an orange and corn seeds added to the game maybe in a kit?
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    don"t have CoL & OJ wasn't in quick meal list. Didn't know about bee tea, will do that then
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

How do they defy the challenge? I can literally make orange juice with an orange right now, I don’t see why that isn’t an option. I can still make quick meals if I have the “stuff”, why not in game?

—T
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited July 2021
    Given its usefulness, orange juice would have been a good thing to add to buy at the grocer, just like flour and sugar.

That being said, it would be great to get orange trees eventually. Maybe if we get that Mediterranean pack? I still think a Mediterranean pack would be a great opportunity to get nectar-making, which you would think would come with several new harvestables. Not that oranges are great for wine, but for scenic purposes, I definitely associate them with at least some Mediterranean countries. Of course, then we could also get peach and plum trees, along with of course a pizza oven, new dishes, more swimmable water...

Sorry, I went off an a tangent there. But yes, orange trees eventually and purchasable orange juice in the meantime would have been my approach.

I also think it's weird that they took the quick meals category out wholesale for the simple living challenge. There's no reason in the world that you can't have a bowl of peas if you are in fact growing peas. Also, why shouldn't you be able to make a ham sandwich if you made milk bread, made cheese from your cow's milk, and bought meat from the grocer? They could have just taken out some of the things like peanut butter sandwiches. Although, I also don't hate the idea of buying peanut butter from the grocer and making a sandwich with your milk bread and your own jam. How lovely does that sound?

Tl; dr: I would have rethought their whole approach to the quick meals category, and instead of taking the whole thing out, I would have removed only the items that legitimately no longer make sense, and I would have added just a few, even 2 or 3, items to the grocer.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Yes, it makes sense to add oranges and orange trees.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    You can probably (I don't know about quick meals, but this works for other meals you don't have ingredients for) go off the lot and use a fridge elsewhere. The bar in in HOB has a fridge for public use.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    edited July 2021
    To7m wrote: »

How do they defy the challenge? I can literally make orange juice with an orange right now, I don’t see why that isn’t an option. I can still make quick meals if I have the “stuff”, why not in game?

—T

You can still make sack lunches if you have the ingredients, but no other options for quick meals.

Eta, there's 3 kinds of sandwiches you can make for the sack lunch.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

—T

Because quick meals are already free (most of them, anyway), so there's nothing to deduct from if you have the ingredients. The challenge is that you can't just auto buy the parts you need as you can on lots without the challenge - but there's nothing to buy for Orange juice and cereal.

I mean, I do agree that we now need orange trees in the game so that we can make orange juice, and I wouldn't mind some sort of cereal grain crop for cereal too.

And yes, your sim will still get milk and juice from the fridge autonomously (had that happen last night)
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I'd even accept getting orange juice from the cow if there was a special treat for it. 🤪
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    I'd even accept getting orange juice from the cow if there was a special treat for it. 🤪

Lol what about the orange egg from the chicken?
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

—T

Because quick meals are already free (most of them, anyway), so there's nothing to deduct from if you have the ingredients. The challenge is that you can't just auto buy the parts you need as you can on lots without the challenge - but there's nothing to buy for Orange juice and cereal.

I mean, I do agree that we now need orange trees in the game so that we can make orange juice, and I wouldn't mind some sort of cereal grain crop for cereal too.

And yes, your sim will still get milk and juice from the fridge autonomously (had that happen last night)

I wish they would do smth like the scco mod. Like buy realistic packets of stuff. Like a box of cereal, box of pasta, orange juice carton, pack of ramen, pack of instant oatmeal, and etc. I wish we had stuff like that. Idky but smth like that would really make my gameplay so much better. I can't wait till that mod gets updated so I can try it lol.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Didn't know orange juice cured illnesses. lol I knew about the teas, naps, and of course medicine.

Also you can't use the hotpot on simple living. ugh
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie