Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Sims DLC Necessary?

I have seen and participated in a few recommendation threads as of late and it has gotten me thinking: is DLC necessary in the Sims series? I am thinking more grounded in the here and now with existing titles, but I would not mind a little speculation as to if it will be necessary for future titles.

I realize, obviously, they are all optional purchases and usually any debate would end there (optional = not necessary). However, thinking through it all, I personally do not disable or really even skip that many packs. I have all of 1, all but the regional holiday pack of 2, all packs of 3 and a little store content, and all of 4. If anything, the one major constant for my playstyle through the years from 1 to now is that fact that I am constantly using all kinds of the available DLC pretty well all the time once I have them. Although I definitely understand what I like and dislike about each base game, it is hard for me to actually imagine playing with no packs for any of the titles. With both 3 and 4 I took fairly long hiatuses from them when they first released, only messing around to understand the mechanics and waiting for a point down the DLC line to transfer to the newest entry. (Not necessarily my thought process at the time for 3, but that is what happened.) I suppose it is possible to an extent, but I would not really want to. Plus, being completely honest, I have really been enjoying 4 lately, but if I had to be relegated to the base game for some hypothetical reason (worse yet, launch base game) then I genuinely think I would never play it again.

So what does everyone else think? I understand that for others this is the same kind of situation with mods, and they may very well shape the answers for many of you. I have never been big into modding the Sims. Some other games I will not touch unmodded, but I never really needed it in the older Sims titles and I consider it a hassle for 4 since Origin does not have the built in mod support of say Steam or the Paradox launcher. I digress, though.

Is DLC necessary for you Sims game? I think it is necessary for mine at this point.

Is Sims DLC Necessary? 133 votes

DLC is necessary for my game, mods or no mods.
87%
CK213LeGardePourpreBreeSashaSara1010PIcewolfNighteyesIceyJAyradysslisamwittPlayerSinger2010Isb917SimburianMarkooshfluttereyesCaitxcatncisGibbs02kokoro80maggiemae8135AnmirlaMariefoxprice83 116 votes
DLC is not necessary for my game, mods or no mods.
12%
ArchivistCinebarbarracuda1574Mizzila1297waterywatermelonDoloresGreytexxx78EnkiSchmidtLoanetPalmArrowEricasFreePlayWarGreymon77TS1299cody6268SimSpockUmbreon12ikirkley 17 votes

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No, not if the core is done correctly. I didn't need any packs for The Sims, The Sims 2 but sorely needed DLC for TS3's base because of a lack of open community lots besides a library etc. In TS4 is was clear there was going to have to be hundreds of packs to make the core seem it was even on the same level as The Sims.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    For me, I DO need DLC, because I'm primarily an occult player. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (since TS4 is my first Sims game) didn't witches/spellcasters, vampires, faeries, werewolves, etc... all come in DLC in the past too? Like they've never been in the base game have they? And what about pets? My spellcasters need their familiars.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited July 2021
    I cannot function properly if I'm playing a sim who's going to be human forever. Most of the sims I make either start out as occult or become one down the line (usually vampire because I get too attached to sims and can't let them die :# )
    funny-gifs20.gif

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Honestly there is absolutely no way I'd still be playing any of the iterations if it was base game only. No matter how good.

Now if Sims 5 was released as a stand alone game it would have to include many of the features we've come to expect with DLC. Seasons, occults, generational gameplay, vacations, retail systems. Of course the price of such a game would be prohibitive for many.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited July 2021
    For me, I DO need DLC, because I'm primarily an occult player. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (since TS4 is my first Sims game) didn't witches/spellcasters, vampires, faeries, werewolves, etc... all come in DLC in the past too? Like they've never been in the base game have they? And what about pets? My spellcasters need their familiars.

Yep. Supernaturals, pets, and weather have been DLC absolutely every time they were in the series.

I'm a big occult player myself, but I usually mark the transfer around Pets because I tend to miss them especially (and supernaturals can be broken up like 4 or 2).
  • LilyLuluLilyLulu Posts: 27 Member
    I like to use mods and cc but there are some dlc gameplay features that they just cannot replicate so I do think dlc is very necessary.
    Autumn, it’s the most wonderful time of the year!

P8hSFBm.jpg
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I need occults, so yeah, it's necessary, especially since people have gotten so angry about them lately.
  • hymnhehimhymnhehim Posts: 518 Member
    One word: Seasons. Might expand upon that later.
    Hey, I'm Milo (he/him)! I love The Sims 4, and I've been playing it since December of 2020. My Sims bestie and forums bestie is Gonnawin1111, aka V.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I have seen and participated in a few recommendation threads as of late and it has gotten me thinking: is DLC necessary in the Sims series? I am thinking more grounded in the here and now with existing titles, but I would not mind a little speculation as to if it will be necessary for future titles.

I realize, obviously, they are all optional purchases and usually any debate would end there (optional = not necessary). However, thinking through it all, I personally do not disable or really even skip that many packs. I have all of 1, all but the regional holiday pack of 2, all packs of 3 and a little store content, and all of 4. If anything, the one major constant for my playstyle through the years from 1 to now is that fact that I am constantly using all kinds of the available DLC pretty well all the time once I have them. Although I definitely understand what I like and dislike about each base game, it is hard for me to actually imagine playing with no packs for any of the titles. With both 3 and 4 I took fairly long hiatuses from them when they first released, only messing around to understand the mechanics and waiting for a point down the DLC line to transfer to the newest entry. (Not necessarily my thought process at the time for 3, but that is what happened.) I suppose it is possible to an extent, but I would not really want to. Plus, being completely honest, I have really been enjoying 4 lately, but if I had to be relegated to the base game for some hypothetical reason (worse yet, launch base game) then I genuinely think I would never play it again.

So what does everyone else think? I understand that for others this is the same kind of situation with mods, and they may very well shape the answers for many of you. I have never been big into modding the Sims. Some other games I will not touch unmodded, but I never really needed it in the older Sims titles and I consider it a hassle for 4 since Origin does not have the built in mod support of say Steam or the Paradox launcher. I digress, though.

Is DLC necessary for you Sims game? I think it is necessary for mine at this point.

I have played The Sims 4 for a whole year without any DLC. I have so much fun creating my stories and families that I feel like I am always full of ideas. Even in The Sims 3. Up to this point I haven't even unlocked the grilled cheese aspiration, do a complete a-z legacy, and fill a house only with ghost. There is so much you can do. I only decided to buy the DLC when I saw them on Origin and I was like, I am enjying the game and adding more wouldn't hurt. Now me and my partner (we both use the same account to play the sims) plays the game and I must say it feels to me that I only touched like20% of the game so far. Overalll I am satisfied....Except batuu never bought that and never will XD
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    My attitude is that if I got DLC then it is necessary. Looking back there are a few that maybe I didn't need to pick up but generally I try to get around to playing with anything. Some aspects I play with a lot. Whenever I go back to content that I added then I am glad and I do that.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Yes because I only play vanilla. I need my Vamps, Spellcasters & Aliens for my altered sims.
    I also need my Windenburg, Henford, Brindleton Bay, Glimmerbrook & Forgotten Hollow for my Historic worlds.
    My Sulani Island is very important for my Prehistoric World.
    My Strangerville & Batuu is important for my SiFi Worlds.

So, basically my important packs are:
    Get Together
    Cats & Dogs
    Island Living
    Cottage Living
    Vampires
    Strangerville
    Realm of Magic
    Journey to Batuu

I so love playing varieties of Timelines, Cultures, Fantasies & Themes.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    For me, some DLC is essential, but most of it isn't.

Doesn't stop me from buying it though...one look at not just Sims 4, but my Steam library, shows I love modular, easily-expanded core game experiences.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
    For me, some DLC is essential, but most of it isn't.

Doesn't stop me from buying it though...one look at not just Sims 4, but my Steam library, shows I love modular, easily-expanded core game experiences.

Same, actually. (Though perhaps mentioning the Paradox launcher already gave me away.)
    edited July 2021
    TS1299 wrote: »

I have played The Sims 4 for a whole year without any DLC. I have so much fun creating my stories and families that I feel like I am always full of ideas. Even in The Sims 3. Up to this point I haven't even unlocked the grilled cheese aspiration, do a complete a-z legacy, and fill a house only with ghost. There is so much you can do. I only decided to buy the DLC when I saw them on Origin and I was like, I am enjying the game and adding more wouldn't hurt. Now me and my partner (we both use the same account to play the sims) plays the game and I must say it feels to me that I only touched like20% of the game so far. Overalll I am satisfied....Except batuu never bought that and never will XD

That is interesting to hear. I have had 4 since launch and can confidently say I have experienced all its base game has had to offer in some form or fashion (that has been released, mind you), including the limited time events and "secret lots." I suppose a lot of it has to do with how I was there when the updates were dropped, DLC too actually.

I am not a big organized challenge player, so it doesn't surprise me at all that there are people that get more mileage than me, but it is interesting to think about. I'd be curious how you would feel at a point like mine, seven years and all packs in and insert-hypothetical-reason-here had to go back to BG only. As stated, I do not think I could ever play again, even with the improvements through the years.

I suppose that could sound a little rude since you mentioned 3, but I consider those BGs pretty different and I am not sure what all you did with 3. Please know rudeness was not my intention, regardless.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I can definitely play The Sims, especially The Sims 3 without DLCs, but I really like having as many options as possible. I didn't do that for The Sims 4 because it gets even more buggy with every new DLC, but I bought ALL the DLCs for The Sims 1 through The Sims 3. I would have to say that I enjoyed all of the DLCs for those iterations and I never regretted the purchases for any of them - not even Kate Perry's stuff pack, lol!

I also consider the Sims 3 Store as DLCs too and I loved everything there as well! It would be nice if there was one for The Sims 5 if TS5 turns out to be a great iteration with robust engine, open world system with CAW from the outset, and CASt.

• jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    Yes, the way the games in the series have been released thus far. Some are more necessary than others though. At minimum I would consider pets and seasons to have been the necessary packs (and I'm hoping they'll be included in the base game in Sims 5, finally)
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    Only the Seasons pack is necessary for me. The other packs I have, I just bought because I wanted them and I wanted to have more things in my game. I can never complete the collection because they're too expensive, but I will only buy what I think is right for my kind of gameplay.
  • ButterWafflesARButterWafflesAR Posts: 113 Member
    It's really necessary to have DLC to enjoy the sims. All I had for years for the sims 2 was the double deluxe and I still had loads of fun. That was before I was old enough to get a job and bought the rest of the packs off ebay. I had just that one disc alone and it was enough to make me happy for four years....correction it was five years, I did the math wrong in my head.
    But if you're anything like me you have to have various of hair styles, clothing, the supernatural, home decor, especially farm animals. You got to have it all. ^^;;
    BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
    d3Z5s3V.jpg
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    I actually did have fun with just the sims 4 base game for several months before I bought my first sims 4 DLC. So I think it's totally playable that way. But, in general, for me a lot of the fun of the sims is having tons and tons of options for stories, settings, activities, and characters. I own most of the packs from Sims 4, and I use content from all of them in various types of contexts.

Sims 3, I got the base game bundled with the supernatural pack. So I never played it as base game alone. It was the supernatural pack that made me interested in the sims games in the first place.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member

Yep. Supernaturals, pets, and weather have been DLC absolutely every time they were in the series.

I'm a big occult player myself, but I usually mark the transfer around Pets because I tend to miss them especially (and supernaturals can be broken up like 4 or 2).

Thank you so much for confirming this.

In this case DLC is 100% nessecary for my gameplay style then, regardless if I decide to play older games. For me pets, and supernaturals are almost equally important. Since I tend to use them together. Although I suppose pets would be a bit more important since there are SOME occult mods.

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    For me, from TS1 onwards, new packs =
    For my sims, more places to go, things to do, environmental elements to interact with
    For me, more tools and items with which to create the sort of worlds I want

Mods and CC can add elements EA doesn't offer, either as enhancements or fixing the broken - the latter particularly true with TS4
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    Yes, it's necessary and has always been for me, since The Sims 1. Base game just feels limited without DLC. I usually buy all the packs because I always find something that I like on CAS or buy mode, even if I usually wait for the "less interesting" packs for a sale. Not going to buy Batuu though, ever.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • MiraRoseBlackMiraRoseBlack Posts: 17 Member
    DLC is definitely needed for my play style! I feel like it also gives you something to look forward to in the game. Of course not every DLC suits my preference, but I always appreciate a good occult DLC.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    If the game were base game only, mods would only go so far to keep me entertained. Mods are fun side bites to enhance the game imo, but the game needs to still be able to stand on its own two feet to keep me engaged. I dont want my sims to be human forever. I dont want the weather to be perpetually sunny. I dont want my sims to just hang out at the bar or a club for entertainment. I dont want to run to a mod to find gameplay that should be staples, a mod that risks breaking the game entirely or just bogs down my computer.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    I just want it all to end so I can be free to mod it as I like without updates breaking mods.
    I've experimented with mods that made the game so much more fun to play. Perhaps a Generation EP to flesh out all the life-stages, burglars, and call it done.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds