Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living Facts Thread

Comments

• Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »

Name the image. Is the dog sad about the chick or nervous. I wonder if different pet traits will affect how they act and respond around animals on the farm.

It was said by someone according to Iron Seagull that dogs will chase off foxes.

I hope this is true because my new dog, Butter, is so ready to chase them foxes off.

Excited.jpg
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    edited July 2021
    I am happy with some of the cross-pack functionality in that Platinum Simmers article, like the fact that the cross stitch activity can be used in clubs, that cross stitches can be sold on Plopsy and that the weather in Henford on Bagley is so very English. But the biggest disappointment has got to be the fact that cats and dogs ignore all the animals in this pack. What a horrible let down and a real argument for why they should not be splitting up animals in different packs if it means that they unrealistically don't interact at all.

Iron Seagull (sp?) stated that at least catsare aware of farm animals, with minor reactions at them. So, I assume there are similar reactions for dogs. It's fine with me, my dog never plays or cuddles with the cat which was in the same pack, so I never expected a dog or cat to play or cuddlewith a cow or llama either. A cat sniffing at a chicken would be cute, though, but as those birds seems to wander all over the place I assume such an animation would be limited to the 3x4 grid anyway, so I'll do fine without it :)

Added: I really hope dogs chasing off foxes will require certain dog traits. It's very cool, anyway.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member

Fun fact, this is 100% a real thing. My Alaskan Malamute (aka big dog), Sapphire, was terrified of my chickens. I raised them from chick to hen and it took only one to send her running. Even if it is in a pet crate. The feeling was mutual, but the hens were much more likely to choose violence if I did not respond fast enough to their screams.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I am happy with some of the cross-pack functionality in that Platinum Simmers article, like the fact that the cross stitch activity can be used in clubs, that cross stitches can be sold on Plopsy and that the weather in Henford on Bagley is so very English. But the biggest disappointment has got to be the fact that cats and dogs ignore all the animals in this pack. What a horrible let down and a real argument for why they should not be splitting up animals in different packs if it means that they unrealistically don't interact at all.

I personally find that a slight against uncontrollable pets. They need and, considering 3, get more interactions than the occasional set dressing if you yourself are directing them. But apparently there are a few interactions, just very limited. Kind of like staring at the small pets.

To be fair, IRL the barn cat would usually be ignored and I would be concerned the family dog may be harmed at best in some of those interactions.

Hmm, maybe I'm not quite getting your point. My uncle's barn cats were feral and extremely predatory. They certainly could not be left alone in the vicinity of chickens (unless they were behind a mesh wire fence). They also did not get along with any dogs (which wasn't that much of a problem because his dogs were always big and extremely well trained).

However, I probably shouldn't have relied only on that Platinum Simmers article, and should have waited for a bit more information. In another thread someone mentioned Iron Seagull so I watched his stream and in fact he said that his family's cat could meow at some animals and also watch them fearfully. He also said that he had heard from another gamechanger that dogs could chase foxes (his family didn't have a dog), but he didn't say who had told him this.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 995 Member
    Pets, especially cats, used to get obsessed with the small pets, and dogs are still sad when they pass, so I'm sure there will be some built in reactions between pets and farm animals and look forward to watching for them.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited July 2021

I personally find that a slight against uncontrollable pets. They need and, considering 3, get more interactions than the occasional set dressing if you yourself are directing them. But apparently there are a few interactions, just very limited. Kind of like staring at the small pets.

To be fair, IRL the barn cat would usually be ignored and I would be concerned the family dog may be harmed at best in some of those interactions.

Hmm, maybe I'm not quite getting your point. My uncle's barn cats were feral and extremely predatory. They certainly could not be left alone in the vicinity of chickens (unless they were behind a mesh wire fence). They also did not get along with any dogs (which wasn't that much of a problem because his dogs were always big and extremely well trained).

However, I probably shouldn't have relied only on that Platinum Simmers article, and should have waited for a bit more information. In another thread someone mentioned Iron Seagull so I watched his stream and in fact he said that his family's cat could meow at some animals and also watch them fearfully. He also said that he had heard from another gamechanger that dogs could chase foxes (his family didn't have a dog), but he didn't say who had told him this.

I saw that, too. He used the controllable pets mod to access and see their possible interactions from what I remember.

That is true. I was thinking more larger animals with the barn cats, which they do not tend to interact with (again, can, but I'd hardly call it an expectation to see a cat go up to nuzzle a cow, though mine and the strays also tend to cross the road into the neighbor's cow and horse pasture for mice without too much of a fuss being kicked up by either beast), but even then cats rarely are a threat to full grown chickens. Can they be? Sure, but it is usually the chicks that you have to worry about. Either way, it is not exactly a good idea to stick them in a pen together, but even the strays around my place have not really been a problem with keeping chickens. If anything they are good for keeping mice out of the feed box.

I've seen barn cats bond or stay neutral with farm dogs, but from what I can tell it is an exposure thing. Full fledged LGDs are always around and know generally what counts as an intruder (if raised properly).

I suppose my point is IRL I have regular access to most of these animals and I do not tend to see a lot of interaction. They largely ignore one another, and when they do not it is usually a problem. (Aka aunt's dog that goes after cattle. I guarantee the only reason he has gotten a pass is because she lets the neighbor pasture his animals on her land for free.) However, if we were the instigating force, as a controlling player, it carries to reason there would be more to take advantage of and witness.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2021

I saw that, too. He used the controllable pets mod to access and see their possible interactions from what I remember.

That is true. I was thinking more larger animals with the barn cats, which they do not tend to interact with (again, can, but I'd hardly call it an expectation to see a cat go up to nuzzle a cow, though mine and the strays also tend to cross the road into the neighbor's cow and horse pasture for mice without too much of a fuss being kicked up by either beast), but even then cats rarely are a threat to full grown chickens. Can they be? Sure, but it is usually the chicks that you have to worry about. Either way, it is not exactly a good idea to stick them in a pen together, but even the strays around my place have not really been a problem with keeping chickens. If anything they are good for keeping mice out of the feed box.

I've seen barn cats bond or stay neutral with farm dogs, but from what I can tell it is an exposure thing. Full fledged LGDs are always around and know generally what counts as an intruder (if raised properly).

I suppose my point is IRL I have regular access to most of these animals and I do not tend to see a lot of interaction. They largely ignore one another, and when they do not it is usually a problem. (Aka aunt's dog that goes after cattle. I guarantee the only reason he has gotten a pass is because she lets the neighbor pasture his animals on her land for free.) However, if we were the instigating force, as a controlling player, it carries to reason there would be more to take advantage of and witness.

Thank you for explaining; it was all very interesting. I agree that pets like cats and dogs probably wouldn't interact much IRL with the larger animals like Cows or Llamas. I was just kind of hoping they would interact with the smaller ones, especially foxes and rabbits. My experience with farms is limited to my visits to my uncles' farms throughout my childhood (2 of them were dairy farmers and one was a pig farmer) so is much more limited than yours. However, the uncle I mentioned who had all the barn cats and dogs once had a very cute dog who had some sheep dog in him, and whenever we went walking anywhere across the fields as a group he was always trying to herd us together and nipping a bit at the heels of any stragglers. It was adorable. He was also really good at guarding the farm and killed stoats and weasels efficiently (according to my uncle, as I never saw this).

In The Sims, I had kind of hoped that the dogs in particular could guard against foxes and maybe chase rabbits a bit (as all the dogs I ever knew loved to go after rabbits). We don't have sheep in this pack so it doesn't bother me if they can't or won't interact with llamas, but I have dogs in many of my sims' families, and them chasing and fighting foxes I would really like to see as a form of pack integration. But we will find out in a few hours now exactly what they can do, so I can try to be patient until then (difficult since I'm so excited).
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    There is no like or dislike for cottagecore music... at least in my game...
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    There is no like or dislike for cottagecore music... at least in my game...

That was one of the first things I noticed. Another oversight on the genre list.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    edited July 2021
    Not sure if this is the right thread for cross-play stuff (direct me to the right thread otherwise, please), but...
    you can gift farmed insects (from Eco Lifestyle) and wild insects (from Outdoor Retreat) to wild rabbits (and other animals, I guess).

Edit: grocery delivery can, apparently, offer items from pack (I saw Fireleaf from OR there).
    Post edited by TomasGrizzly on
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    GirafHuntr wrote: »
    scoed1227 wrote: »

It is a throw back to Monty Python and the Quest For the Holy Grail. There is a famous killer bunny in it. Realism has nothing to do with it. It is hardly the only reference to globally acclaimed British media ether. There is Doctor Who like phone booth that hasn't been in use for years for example. I like the loose pop culture references. I find them fun.

One of the first things I'm going to do when I get the CL pack is have a Sim donning the knight armour get killed by a rabbit. The Monty Python enthusiast in me needs such a ghost roaming in the town.

Please come back and share your screenshots!

Delivered as promised :D (If you want to download the ghost, it's here in my gallery)

51330508405_dfe11debdc_c.jpgKiller Rabbit by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

Feel free to download content from My Gallery
    Another: the "meat substitute" canning recipe can use soy beans and faux meat cubes from Eco Lifestyle.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Another: the "meat substitute" canning recipe can use soy beans and faux meat cubes from Eco Lifestyle.

Can we make soy milk or does the plant milk use soy beans?
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    If you catch a fish you can add it to ponds on community lots.
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

Can we make soy milk or does the plant milk use soy beans?

No idea yet - I have played for 2 sim days or so, and only scratched the surface. My main goal after the launch was to try and build a fantasy-ish house based on a fantasy trilogy I'm working on (which is not sims-related), and what little I noticed is from playtesting that lot.

Also, the zone with the empty 50x40 has some kind of community garden there, with a couple of planters. It seems the plants in them are random, my save has plants from several packs (such as from Outdoor retreat in addition to Cottage Living).
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    GirafHuntr wrote: »
    scoed1227 wrote: »

It is a throw back to Monty Python and the Quest For the Holy Grail. There is a famous killer bunny in it. Realism has nothing to do with it. It is hardly the only reference to globally acclaimed British media ether. There is Doctor Who like phone booth that hasn't been in use for years for example. I like the loose pop culture references. I find them fun.

One of the first things I'm going to do when I get the CL pack is have a Sim donning the knight armour get killed by a rabbit. The Monty Python enthusiast in me needs such a ghost roaming in the town.

Please come back and share your screenshots!

Delivered as promised :D (If you want to download the ghost, it's here in my gallery)

51330508405_dfe11debdc_c.jpgKiller Rabbit by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

Hahahahaha that is even more awesome than I imagined it!
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
    edited July 2021
    Plant seasons:
    Blueberries - summer
    Raspberry - fall
    Verdant mushroom - all?
    Chocoberry - all? (these two only show "in season" and no season listed)
    "big" crops seem to be ignoring seasons due to their long life cycle.
  • QAmiQAmi Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi y'all!
    Question about the bonus items:
    I was able to locate the bike and the new gnome, but not the DeLIGHTful tree. Any idea where is it listed?
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Those pestie wabbits. Sims do not pick up fluffy, it may try to kill you. >:):D
  • FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    edited July 2021
    QAmi wrote: »
    Hi y'all!
    Question about the bonus items:
    I was able to locate the bike and the new gnome, but not the DeLIGHTful tree. Any idea where is it listed?

type bramblewoods (may come up if you type delightful as well)in the search under functions - all. It is in the tree section I just placed one.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

You have to be mean to rabbits to make them attack sims but there is also a cheat to make it happen with testing cheats. You shift click on your sim and look for the interaction.
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

Rabbits in the game are friendly enough, for wild animals. :D If the rabbit doesn't want to be petted, it will simply reject your Sim. To prompt an attack you actually have to have a few aggravating conversations with the rabbit (I actually expected it to take longer, like a full red bar, but the rabbit attacked and killed my Sim when the bar was about 1/2 red).

Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I think this is the thread where I asked before, so to answer my own question:

Yes, grocery delivery works in other worlds outside of Henford. My family in San Myshuno ordered groceries and they were delivered by Cassandra Goth.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I think this is the thread where I asked before, so to answer my own question:

Yes, grocery delivery works in other worlds outside of Henford. My family in San Myshuno ordered groceries and they were delivered by Cassandra Goth.

I also ordered groceries outside of Henford.

It seems like if you order them inside Henford, the specific grocery deliverer (usually Rahul Chopra) will deliver it. Otherwise a random teen will.
    Plus if you hire a vendor to tend a grocery stall outside Henford, a random sim will do it.
    I like that detail.
  • kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    My sim was whistling to himself while gardening, can't say I've noticed this before, is it a new detail with the pack?