Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Toggle for Alien Abduction; Why it's Needed.

Comments

• MissSweetVioletMissSweetViolet Posts: 50 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Sorry to be blunt but it's just a game about life and life isn't fair. People should man up!
    This is exactly the insensitive attitudes that created the horrid society we have today. Are you going to tell an abuse or attack survivor to their face to man up then? As if the trauma and pain they went through is unimportant? Think hard and about how you would feel in that situation and then go tell yourself what you just said right here, and tell me if you still feel this way, or go down to a support group and talk with abuse survivors and tell me if you still feel this why. Take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself why your taking such a uncompassionate and heartless stance on something that is a SERIOUS topic for anyone who has been through this/knows someone who has been through this.

you don;t know they aren't a victim I think you need to step back and think about how you treat other people on here
    some people don't mind the abductions because they like them and they realize that this is a game regardless of what there
    real life is like its fine if you want a toggle but be nice to people on here

I didn't say anything mean other then point out an attitude that is quite frankly disturbing to me. Imagine that you yourself was attacked or abused, and you are having issues working through it, and someone comes up to you and says "man up, life isn't fair." How would you feel as a survivor? How much would you feel everything you went through was uncared about, that your feelings your experiences didn't matter?
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    and just so everyone knows I have requested toggles for everything because I'm tired of people ruining the game for everyone
    I hope we get burglars as well and I hope they add toggles so that people will leave us alone
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    ... You guys are getting alien abductions?

Right? The last one I got was 2 years ago and I had to work hard to make it happen.
    and just so everyone knows I have requested toggles for everything because I'm tired of people ruining the game for everyone
    I hope we get burglars as well and I hope they add toggles so that people will leave us alone

Toggles for everything? So like if it happened we get to spend an hour toggling things off and on for every save before we can even play? Ugh 😑 I don’t have that kind of time. I pulled out all but a small handful of cc and mods for this very reason. My play time is so preciously short I don’t want to spend it setting things up and/or fixing things.

Toggles for everything? So like if it happened we get to spend an hour toggling things off and on for every save before we can even play? Ugh 😑 I don’t have that kind of time. I pulled out all but a small handful of cc and mods for this very reason. My play time is so preciously short I don’t want to spend it setting things up and/or fixing things.

better then having it all removed by people on here and on twitter who have nothing better to do with there time
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I think lot challenges is the solution to all of this. The vamps,the aliens, and Anything of excitement in the future should be a lot challenge. Even 5 star celebrities should have super fans lot trait so I can have my TRUE fame back😭😭😭
    This way we who don't want things nerfed are happy and others who are uncomfortable with certain things are happy. It's a win win🤭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    edited July 2021

better then having it all removed by people on here and on twitter who have nothing better to do with there time

I'm just going to say this, why is it an issue now? It's been in the game for six years and now all of a sudden it's a major issue and it's suddenly massively triggering. If it were really a problem, if it were really triggering people why weren't there threads saying so six years ago? Where were all of these folks then, why weren't they shocked and horrified when their first alien abduction happened in 2015? I don't get it. If this were truly so awful it would have raised flags shortly after release but again it's six years plus later.

No one is asking for anything to be removed in this thread, also this is not "people on here and on twitter who have nothing better to do with there time", this a about a REAL issue that REAL people who have experience abuse have. This is also not the place to discuses your views on toggles, it is thread trying to seek a solution for a REAL issue.
    I think lot challenges is the solution to all of this. The vamps,the aliens, and Anything of excitement in the future should be a lot challenge. Even 5 star celebrities should have super fans lot trait so I can have my TRUE fame back😭😭😭
    This way we who don't want things nerfed are happy and others who are uncomfortable with certain things are happy. It's a win win🤭

Thank you very much for the suggestion. :)
    I'm just going to say this, why is it an issue now? It's been in the game for six years and now all of a sudden it's a major issue and it's suddenly massively triggering. If it were really a problem, if it were really triggering people why weren't there threads saying so six years ago? Where were all of these folks then, why weren't they shocked and horrified when their first alien abduction happened in 2015? I don't get it. If this were truly so awful it would have raised flags shortly after release but again it's six years plus later.

It has been an outgoing issue from what I've seen. I've read many posts from others from 2015-2019, especially 2015 and 2016. I think people just gave up because EA was not doing anything, also many people are more conscious now of what this kind of thing can do to those who have experienced an attack/abuse then back then. As someone who knows someone who was attacked, I've seen what it can do.

edited July 2021
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Sorry to be blunt but it's just a game about life and life isn't fair. People should man up!
    This is exactly the insensitive attitudes that created the horrid society we have today. Are you going to tell an abuse or attack survivor to their face to man up then? As if the trauma and pain they went through is unimportant? Think hard and about how you would feel in that situation and then go tell yourself what you just said right here, and tell me if you still feel this way, or go down to a support group and talk with abuse survivors and tell me if you still feel this why. Take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself why your taking such a uncompassionate and heartless stance on something that is a SERIOUS topic for anyone who has been through this/knows someone who has been through this.

you don;t know they aren't a victim I think you need to step back and think about how you treat other people on here
    some people don't mind the abductions because they like them and they realize that this is a game regardless of what there
    real life is like its fine if you want a toggle but be nice to people on here

I didn't say anything mean other then point out an attitude that is quite frankly disturbing to me. Imagine that you yourself was attacked or abused, and you are having issues working through it, and someone comes up to you and says "man up, life isn't fair." How would you feel as a survivor? How much would you feel everything you went through was uncared about, that your feelings your experiences didn't matter?

again you don't know I'm not a victim and I'm not about to tell you my life story because one that isn't allowed
    on here and two it shouldn't matter if I'm a victim or not I shouldn't have to defend the way I like to play the game
    because it is a game not everyone takes issue with everything in games and you shouldn't treat people badly because they don't
    see things the way you do don't attack other people here
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited July 2021
    You're entitled to your opinion about the alien abductions, but OP also seems to be equating this too literally to genuine abuse in real life. Its not the same thing. You have to take a step back and observe the context. It's a silly game. You're entitled to how you feel, but so is everyone else too. So no need to act snooty/moral highground about it and equally no need for anyone to be terribly dismissive. Your life experiences may lead you to have a stronger sensitivity and thats fine, but you cannot force someone else to hold the same sensitivity as you. Some experiences you may have in life arent experienced by most and you have to recognize that and respect it too when the intention is not to discredit your experiences. Its not always someone else being discriminatory.

. Its reasonable to ask for toggles for what you want, but the game cannot be completely toggled. It is a game. There are consequences. Thats how games work. Struggles and rewards. Ultimately though, the team has to choose which toggles to implement where
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

No one is asking for anything to be removed in this thread, also this is not "people on here and on twitter who have nothing better to do with there time", this a about a REAL issue that REAL people who have experience abuse have. This is also not the place to discuses your views on toggles, it is thread trying to seek a solution for a REAL issue.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. :)

It has been an outgoing issue from what I've seen. I've read many posts from others from 2015-2019, especially 2015 and 2016. I think people just gave up because EA was not doing anything, also many people are more conscious now of what this kind of thing can do to those who have experienced an attack/abuse then back then. As someone who knows someone who was attacked, I've seen what it can do.

I have not seen this argument against it until a few months ago and I am on here pretty much every day and have been since I installed the game in 2015, just a short time after GTW released and the only complaints I saw about alien abductions was that they were too frequent and “spammy”. I never once saw it equated with assault until a few months ago.
    again you don't know I'm not a victim and I'm not about to tell you my life story because one that isn't allowed
    on here and two it shouldn't matter if I'm a victim or not I shouldn't have to defend the way I like to play the game
    because it is a game not everyone takes issue with everything in games and you shouldn't treat people badly because they don't

I'm not asking you for your story, I was not being mean. I'm asking you to imagine what it could be like for someone in this position. It's called empathy. Nor am I asking anyone to defend their play, the whole theme of this thread is to find a solution for people have real issues while still allowing those who enjoy the abductions to keep them.
    You're entitled to your opinion about the alien abductions, but OP also seems to be equating this too literally to genuine abuse in real life. Its not the same thing. You have to take a step back and observe the context. It's a silly game. You're entitled to how you feel, but so is everyone else too. So no need to act snooty about it and equally no need for anyone to be terribly dismissive. Your life experiences may lead you to have a stronger sensitivity and thats fine, but you cannot force someone else to hold the same sensitivity as you. Some experiences you may have in life arent experienced by most and you have to recognize that. Its not always someone else being discriminatory.

. Its reasonable to ask for toggles for what you want, but the game cannot be completely toggled. It is a game. There are consequences. Thats how games work. Struggles and rewards. Ultimately though, the team has to choose which toggles to implement where

Your right, it not the same thing as real world experience, but the emotion it can trigger to someone who's been attacked is real. That's why I'm asking for the toggle, the vast majority of stuff in this game is optional, except the one thing that in my opinion really should be.
    I have not seen this argument against it until a few months ago and I am on here pretty much every day and have been since I installed the game in 2015, just a short time after GTW released and the only complaints I saw about alien abductions was that they were too frequent and “spammy”. I never once saw it equated with assault until a few months ago.
    You can search it, and there are several that come up, I had actually been posting in one of them, but moved my discussion here because that thread had been necroed by someone else, which I did not realize when first posting to it.

and just so everyone knows I have requested toggles for everything because I'm tired of people ruining the game for everyone gett

because they want power and getting things removed makes them feel good its not really that they care
    they just like the thought of causing something to happen of course they'll say they care its the only way they can get things
    removed and one of there favorite things to do while they play there little game is there trying to help victims
    but there really just bored people who have nothing to do in life and often times no job thats why there are more of them
    then there use to be and there aren't that many of them if you'll notice most of these threads have people that like alien abductions
    and the other things in game the lactose intolerance trait from cottage living also don't worry op not saying your one of those people just that there out there after all your just asking for toggles @Pamtastic72

I'm not asking you for your story, I was not being mean. I'm asking you to imagine what it could be like for someone in this position. It's called empathy. Nor am I asking anyone to defend their play, the whole theme of this thread is to find a solution for people have real issues while still allowing those who enjoy the abductions to keep them.
    You're entitled to your opinion about the alien abductions, but OP also seems to be equating this too literally to genuine abuse in real life. Its not the same thing. You have to take a step back and observe the context. It's a silly game. You're entitled to how you feel, but so is everyone else too. So no need to act snooty about it and equally no need for anyone to be terribly dismissive. Your life experiences may lead you to have a stronger sensitivity and thats fine, but you cannot force someone else to hold the same sensitivity as you. Some experiences you may have in life arent experienced by most and you have to recognize that. Its not always someone else being discriminatory.

Your right, it not the same thing as real world experience, but the emotion it can trigger to someone who's been attacked is real. That's why I'm asking for the toggle, the vast majority of stuff in this game is optional, except the one thing that in my opinion really should be.
    You can search it, and there are several that come up, I had actually been posting in one of them, but moved my discussion here because that thread had been necroed by someone else, which I did not realize when first posting to it.

I have researched it, and when a mod necros a thread it’s locked from further comment so you couldn’t have posted in a truly necroed thread so now I find your whole story sus, and therefore stick to what I said. If this were truly an issue of triggering it would have been triggering six years ago and wouldn’t just be triggering now.
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    What if it was a lot trait? These lots attract possible alien invasions.
    Yes, that would be a option too. I never thought of that! I don't know how those who like the invasions would feel, but that is a very interesting solution, to tie it to the lots. Then you could select it just for that house. It would make it a bit harder if someone wants 3 already existing traits, so that might be an issue for some maybe. It would also be a way to keep it out of the world as whole though too. Very interesting idea, thank you. :)

It could be a lot challenge? You can choose as many of those as you want :O
    I have researched it, and when a mod necros a thread it’s locked from further comment so you couldn’t have posted in a truly necroed thread so now I find your whole story sus, and therefore stick to what I said. If this were truly an issue of triggering it would have been triggering six years ago and wouldn’t just be triggering now.

You didn't research well enough then, here is the thread with a link to one of my comments; https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17934495#Comment_17934495

• StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

Yes the emotional reactions are very real, so its reasonable to ask for a toggle, but unreasonable to be offended when people have a strong reaction for toggle ( or in the worst scenario, demanding a removal which I know you arent asking for). Just know your feelings or experiences are not universal so thats why most are not interested in a toggle and see no need for it. But im glad you can recognize that, some cant and insist on the 'injustice' of it all, and calling others discriminatory,bigoted, -ist etc because they dont agree. Which reminds me of Demi Lavato attacking that froyo place for displaying diet friendly options and her entitlement and vitrol was unreal...which I know you arent doing so that is refreshing
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
    The link took me to a post you made 4 days ago. The thread itself is only two years old, and the first comment on there that equates it to assault is from Six months ago in January which is about the time this aspect of the game became suddenly triggering after 5/6 years. Your dog don’t hunt love.
    edited July 2021
    You're entitled to your opinion about the alien abductions, but OP also seems to be equating this too literally to genuine abuse in real life. Its not the same thing. You have to take a step back and observe the context. It's a silly game. You're entitled to how you feel, but so is everyone else too. So no need to act snooty/moral highground about it and equally no need for anyone to be terribly dismissive. Your life experiences may lead you to have a stronger sensitivity and thats fine, but you cannot force someone else to hold the same sensitivity as you. Some experiences you may have in life arent experienced by most and you have to recognize that and respect it too when the intention is not to discredit your experiences. Its not always someone else being discriminatory.

op said they were not a victim according to them there doing this because they know someone
    that is maybe you could share some mods with them op or do they even play the sims ?
    if they don't play the sims or care about this then I don't think its right for you to talk about there personal
    stuff online even if they do care about this stuff I don't think its okay to talk about there very personal stuff online I would be upset if my friend was talking to people online about me to a lot of people

Yes the emotional reactions are very real, so its reasonable to ask for a toggle, but unreasonable to be offended when people have a strong reaction for toggle ( or in the worst scenario, demanding a removal which I know you arent asking for). Just know your feelings or experiences are not universal so thats why most are not interested in a toggle and see no need for it. But im glad you can recognize that, some cant and insist on the 'injustice' of it all, and calling others discriminatory,bigoted, -ist etc because they dont agree. Which reminds me of Demi Lavato attacking that froyo place for displaying diet friendly options and her entitlement and vitrol was unreal...which I know you arent doing so that is refreshing

I wasn't trying to be unreasonable about others not wanting a toggle, and I do apologize if I came off that way. What worries me is the feeling I get from some of the posters that it's completely unimportant, like a poster awhile back who said life was unfair and to man up, comments like that make me angry because it feels like they have no empathy to the people it could affect. My goal is to hopefully make it so players on both sides of this can play as they wish.
    The link took me to a post you made 4 days ago. The thread itself is only two years old, and the first comment on there that equates it to assault is from Six months ago in January which is about the time this aspect of the game became suddenly triggering after 5/6 years. Your dog don’t hunt love.

Here are other threads discussing the same thing; https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/834098/make-alien-abductions-optional
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13496283
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/989666/lets-talk-about-non-consentual-alien-abduction-pregnancies/p1
    op said they were not a victim according to them there doing this because they know someone
    that is maybe you could share some mods with them op or do they even play the sims ?
    I know know someone who was attacked, yes. They aren't the only reason for this, but also to give the option to anyone going through something similar. The person I know does not play, no. But they do have issues with the topic in various things, so I know what it can do.

I wasn't trying to be unreasonable about others not wanting a toggle, and I do apologize if I came off that way. What worries me is the feeling I get from some of the posters that it's completely unimportant, like a poster awhile back who said life was unfair and to man up, comments like that make me angry because it feels like they have no empathy to the people it could affect. My goal is to hopefully make it so players on both sides of this can play as they wish.

Here are other threads discussing the same thing; https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/834098/make-alien-abductions-optional
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13496283
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/989666/lets-talk-about-non-consentual-alien-abduction-pregnancies/p1
    I know know someone who was attacked, yes. They aren't the only reason for this, but also to give the option to anyone going through something similar. The person I know does not play, no. But they do have issues with the topic in various things, so I know what it can do.

did you ask your friend if it was okay to talk about there personal issue online because I wouldn't be okay with it
    and you can talk about wanting toggles with out bringing them up
    did you ask your friend if it was okay to talk about there personal issue online because I wouldn't be okay with it
    I haven't talked about their experience, I've not even named their gender. I've only said I know someone who was attacked. It would be up to them if they ever decided to join this form and fill in.

edited July 2021
    I haven't talked about their experience, I've not even named their gender. I've only said I know someone who was attacked. It would be up to them if they ever decided to join this form and fill in.

it doesn't matter if you said who they are or what happened to them your talking about them with out them knowing and
    using there awful event to get something you want in a game
    it doesn't matter if you said who they are or what happened to them your talking about them with out them knowing and
    using there awful event to get something you want in a game

I am fairly sure knowing this said person, they do not mind, as long as I don't share the story without asking them, in fact they would be likely be pleased, as they have posted on the topic themselves. But this person is not a gamer.
  • SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    edited July 2021
    I agree; the whole pregnancy thing never sat well with me. At least in this game, you can send the baby back to the homeworld, but that doesn't protect your Sim against the pregnancy itself. It would help if the Sim was at least happy about the pregnancy, but the game seems to imply that they're not even aware of why they're so uncomfortable and gaining weight. That's always been really unsettling to me. (Although I still wouldn't be crazy about it even if the Sim was happy...I can't really explain why.)

Also, one does not have to have experienced assault in order to have an opinion. Some victims feel one way, some feel another way. Humans are empathetic creatures, and can still feel uncomfortable about something that hasn't happened to them in particular. Demanding that people prove their victimhood, or debating whether or not someone has been a victim (and I've seen this on both sides of the argument, not just in this thread) is not a productive way of doing things, nor is it kind.