Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Remove the lactose intolerance trait from cottage living

Comments

• jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    edited July 2021
    LittleFox2 wrote: »
    OP, I'm not arguing over your opinion to have something removed. I just don't agree with it. Great for you that you decided to upgrade to TS4; I guess it is no longer a rip off to you because you got some of the things on sale and/or the base game for free. It is the same game it was in 2020 as it is in 2021.

You are just another person who wants to nerf a feature in the game to fit their sensitivities. Is it so difficult to just not use said trait.

Very true
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited July 2021
    I never thought I would see the day…fighting over whether or not to have lactose intolerance as a trait. Who knew a digestive issue would be so controversial?

Here I thought the controversy would have been having to feed a vegetable to a cow to get the lactose free milk. I thought we would get some almonds or get to mash up some soy…lol. This is the real crime against my lactose intolerant self. But hey it is game so I will milk a lactose free cow for my lactose intolerant sims.

EA is going to have stand their ground at some point. This bending for every single controversial thing is making the game very dry on top of an already dry game. Nothing bad EVER happens. Anyways I hope they give options for both sides. I do not want to lose the only trait they added in like forever.
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    edited July 2021
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I never thought I would see the day…fighting over whether or not to have lactose intolerance as a trait. Who knew a digestive issue would be so controversial?

Here I thought the controversy would have been having to feed a vegetable to a cow to get the lactose free milk. I thought we would get some almonds or get to mash up some soy…lol. This is the real crime against my lactose intolerant self. But hey it is game so I will milk a lactose free cow for my lactose intolerant sims.

EA is going to have stand their ground at some point. This bending for every single controversial thing is making the game very dry on top of an already dry game. Nothing bad EVER happens. Anyways I hope they give options for both sides. I do not want to lose the only trait they added in like forever.

very well said <3
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2021
    @mw93 Do you even own TS4? I went and read several of your comments to get some insight into you. According to your comments, you never upgraded to TS4.

I dont even agree with OP but searching through their post history to prove a point is uncool. Unless they are saying something damaging/harmful or making threats, its getting too personal looking past at their history. Thats toxic behavior imo

Normally, I would agree with you. However, when people demand things be removed from a game because it's offensive to them, it would make sense to know if they ever even played the game or series. Because TS4 is infamous if some don't know due to people coming to the site to post off the wall requests that would affect those who actually purchase the game and or have played the game and stopped for whatever reasons, but have no intention of ever buying it or playing it. This has happened hundreds of times in the past seven years. Because of an agenda to cancel anything and everything. I don't know the OP nor did I look up the posts and replies of past subjects, but if you want to understand a point of view it's good to have some history of the person posting. (So others can either have empathy and or see the post for what it is.)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited July 2021
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    There needs to be toggled off for negative traits & other stuff. Not take it out completely.

You don’t need a toggle for optional stuff. Simply don’t use it or click on the red x if you accidentally chose it.

This is perfect logic, but in the past we have seen where if we told a person 'hey, you won't get a vampire visit if you don't study Vampire Lore'...that wasn't good enough...oh, no, they went ahead and studied Vampire Lore (a game trigger to bring a vampire to the door) but still complained there were vampire break ins and to remove them. I know I critique Maxis often, but when they do add triggers and or options people still get offended and want things removed though they knew exactly how to make it happen or not happen. That is the culture of TS4 some don't want a simple answer like don't use it, and or don't read a book etc. they want things removed simply because it's below their moral superiority. Not saying the OP is doing that, though I'm not sure they are really serious..because anyone can look up stats on whether lactose intolerance has every killed anyone....compared to an actual disease, but this is the community of TS4 and why so many of tire of this type posts and go back to where people used common sense in the older games and didn't get triggered by every little thing that happens in life. Because no doubt Maxis so afraid of offending will nerf it eventually.

One question to prove a point, why has no one ever requested farting be removed from the games since it can also be a symptom of a more serious condition? I can't imagine being lactose intolerant and being perfectly fine with farting of any type in the game if we want to dive deep into what this thread is really doing which is making mountains out of mole hills.

And as I said in a huge thread, everyone claims to be diverse and inclusive but any type of illness that pertains to a Sim is a no no, since no, they don't want those people in the game....this is just another example of it. Just another example of how any flaw, physical difference etc. disability and or challenge of those not in the game will never be included since so many heave over anything to do with any sort of flaw rather than a perfect life and perfect Sim all under the guise of it triggers some.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2021

Imagine the blacklash the Devs would get if they added something like Autism to the game, personally I think it'll be way worse if these things were randomly generated genetics, it's like realizing that your sims child has the same disablity as you IRL, then reloading the game so you don't have to deal with that awful reminder, I think it would better if it was in a similar category as bloodtype and zodiac signs, where you can decide whenever or not your sims have them.
    Post edited by EA_Mako on
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited July 2021
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @mw93 Do you even own TS4? I went and read several of your comments to get some insight into you. According to your comments, you never upgraded to TS4.

I dont even agree with OP but searching through their post history to prove a point is uncool. Unless they are saying something damaging/harmful or making threats, its getting too personal looking past at their history. Thats toxic behavior imo

Normally, I would agree with you. However, when people demand things be removed from a game because it's offensive to them, it would make sense to know if they ever even played the game or series. Because TS4 is infamous if some don't know due to people coming to the site to post off the wall requests that would affect those who actually purchase the game and or have played the game and stopped for whatever reasons, but have no intention of ever buying it or playing it. This has happened hundreds of times in the past seven years. Because of an agenda to cancel anything and everything. I don't know the OP nor did I look up the posts and replies of past subjects, but if you want to understand a point of view it's good to have some history of the person posting. (So others can either have empathy and or see the post for what it is.)

I understand that being important, but I dont like investigating people's comment history (when trying to prove a point /when someones opinion is a stark difference from yours) as a general rule, because often its things taken out of context (gotcha! Style) or things have changed since then and a user wouldnt know that. Some feelings may have changed, other circumstances, new relevant info etc. You already have to feel some type of way to have to go back and search peoples history to find some kind of contradiction so you can prove a point.

I find it much more conducive to a productive conversation by asking upfront instead of assuming. "OP, do you still play the game now? Are you still interested in TS4? Is this really make or break for you?" Instead before saying on this date 2 months ago on a Tuesday night at 6pm you said yadda yadsa Unless they are saying something potentially damaging. But that's my perspective.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Mw93 wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    I'm not sure. How would you have preferred it to be done in the game?

I think adding it as a trait makes sense because you can add and remove it to the sims you want. I agree that it's not part of anyone's personality, but gameplay wise I think it makes sense to have it as a trait so you can select it when you create your sim.

I would not want it to be picked for random on sims though, which is why I'm going to blacklist that one with MC Command Center.

More like genetics, like how genetics are predispotioned to make your sims have different skin tones or hair, if your going to put in a game a disease that depends on whether your genetically predispositioned to be allergic to a food, then it should be a randomized stat that would give your the sim the allergy, not as a trait you the player can add, but as a randomized stat applied to the game of either the players characters or npc sims that would also make any future offspring of your sim kids, to avoid every one being lactose intolerant I would probably set the spawn rate to 5 to 10 percent of the population so a fraction of ingame npcs would have that. if the point of the sims is to simulate life, and the devs want to add disease in game, that is a genetic, then naturally it should mimick how in nature people are born into to certain health conditions. Like lets say the devs decided to added cancer to the game as a trait, would willingly add a trait that will give your sims cancer? as a trait and part of a sims personality? and if you were a cancer patient, wouldn't you find it offensive that someone thought, oh hey I having cancer is a personality trait, never mind lmao I am dying and I have to take chemo to not die and lose my hair in the process, but hey atleast now I can feel validated because the sims devs added cancer as a trait. I get most people might think being lactose intolerant is the lower end of allergies, but when milk is used in almost everything and some people can be severely allergic to milk to a point where it can wreck you digestive health that it can land in the hospital. The point is its not the fact that its being added to the game its how its being added, having an allergy or disease isn't a personality trait in real life, its just a factor in how we have to approach it, and how it can mess it up, I'd think with ea and their kowtowing to wokeness would get this is a bad idea, if ea wants to add allergies fine, but they should make it more of an inheirtable genetic thing instead of a trait.

So you are now comparing lactose intolerance to cancer and HIV? (I am not sayin that any of the 3 could not kill you, but totally different things)

And really there are people who wonder why there is not all disabilities/allergies/anything added at the game... oh my what that would do..

Imagine the blacklash the Devs would get if they added something like Autism to the game, personally I think it'll be way worse if these things were randomly generated genetics, it's like realizing that your sims child has the same disablity as you IRL, then reloading the game so you don't have to deal with that awful reminder, I think it would better if it was in a similar category as bloodtype and zodiac signs, where you can decide whenever or not your sims have them.

In Sims 3, they had traits that reflected high-functioning autism, though they weren't called that.

That's the thing I dislike about Sims 4 traits the most -- there is no room for people who are socially awkward. There's no room for people who are inappropriate at times. There aren't the interactions. It can be done well, but it can't be done by a dev team which doesn't think they need to consult with experts and instead rely on focus groups. I suppose it's just as well that people like me are not represented. There's a line of nuance between representation and mockery, and I don't think this team is capable of staying on the representative side.
    edited July 2021
    Felicity wrote: »

I think adding it as a trait makes sense because you can add and remove it to the sims you want. I agree that it's not part of anyone's personality, but gameplay wise I think it makes sense to have it as a trait so you can select it when you create your sim.

I would not want it to be picked for random on sims though, which is why I'm going to blacklist that one with MC Command Center.

More like genetics, like how genetics are predispotioned to make your sims have different skin tones or hair, if your going to put in a game a disease that depends on whether your genetically predispositioned to be allergic to a food, then it should be a randomized stat that would give your the sim the allergy, not as a trait you the player can add, but as a randomized stat applied to the game of either the players characters or npc sims that would also make any future offspring of your sim kids, to avoid every one being lactose intolerant I would probably set the spawn rate to 5 to 10 percent of the population so a fraction of ingame npcs would have that. if the point of the sims is to simulate life, and the devs want to add disease in game, that is a genetic, then naturally it should mimick how in nature people are born into to certain health conditions. Like lets say the devs decided to added cancer to the game as a trait, would willingly add a trait that will give your sims cancer? as a trait and part of a sims personality? and if you were a cancer patient, wouldn't you find it offensive that someone thought, oh hey I having cancer is a personality trait, never mind lmao I am dying and I have to take chemo to not die and lose my hair in the process, but hey atleast now I can feel validated because the sims devs added cancer as a trait. I get most people might think being lactose intolerant is the lower end of allergies, but when milk is used in almost everything and some people can be severely allergic to milk to a point where it can wreck you digestive health that it can land in the hospital. The point is its not the fact that its being added to the game its how its being added, having an allergy or disease isn't a personality trait in real life, its just a factor in how we have to approach it, and how it can mess it up, I'd think with ea and their kowtowing to wokeness would get this is a bad idea, if ea wants to add allergies fine, but they should make it more of an inheirtable genetic thing instead of a trait.

So you are now comparing lactose intolerance to cancer and HIV? (I am not sayin that any of the 3 could not kill you, but totally different things)

And really there are people who wonder why there is not all disabilities/allergies/anything added at the game... oh my what that would do..

In Sims 3, they had traits that reflected high-functioning autism, though they weren't called that.

That's the thing I dislike about Sims 4 traits the most -- there is no room for people who are socially awkward. There's no room for people who are inappropriate at times. There aren't the interactions. It can be done well, but it can't be done by a dev team which doesn't think they need to consult with experts and instead rely on focus groups. I suppose it's just as well that people like me are not represented. There's a line of nuance between representation and mockery, and I don't think this team is capable of staying on the representative side.

Exactly I personally don't care if it's in game as long as the Devs did their research and it's really well done, I'd liked to have the option to give it to my sims personally rather than having it randomly generated by genetics like someone else suggested, but if it is done through genetics then social services can keep taking my sims children, we're suppose to be gods within the sims universe, I don't want to gamble and hope I get the disability I want, maybe there should be separate area in CAS for diseases and disablities so they don't take up trait slots, also Devs whats wrong with having 5 traits slots why did you guys downgrade it to three?
  • EA_MakoEA_Mako Posts: 846 EA Community Manager
    Hey everyone, I've just removed/moderated a number of posts throughout the thread.

Just a reminder to keep comments respectful and to discuss the points brought up rather than the individuals making them.

There's definitely a lot of good feedback in here especially around the point of trait slots and how things are classified, so I'd hate for that to get lost among everything else. Thanks for the discussion folks!
    Maybe they will consider genetic slots so players can pick things lactose intolerance. I sometimes wish they would create a new slot for a fatal flaw like The Sims Medieval had and made life much more complicated for the Sim when that flared up. It wasn't exactly 'fatal' but very much a flaw that made the player have to deal with it no matter what the flaw was and strongly affected mood and performance. Which I think TS4 could use some mood busters to lower their happyville lives. Once the fatal flaw kicked in (until solved) the Sim failed at almost anything it tried to do, such as romance, or quests, cooking, fishing, hunting, whatever it was the player needed or wanted them to do wasn't going to go as well as when the fatal flaw wasn't causing havoc for them. But I know other players don't want that sort of challenge so maybe a slot like fatal flaw could be something optional for those of us who don't mind Sims not being perfect.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Maybe they will consider genetic slots so players can pick things lactose intolerance. I sometimes wish they would create a new slot for a fatal flaw like The Sims Medieval had and made life much more complicated for the Sim when that flared up. It wasn't exactly 'fatal' but very much a flaw that made the player have to deal with it no matter what the flaw was and strongly affected mood and performance. Which I think TS4 could use some mood busters to lower their happyville lives. Once the fatal flaw kicked in (until solved) the Sim failed at almost anything it tried to do, such as romance, or quests, cooking, fishing, hunting, whatever it was the player needed or wanted them to do wasn't going to go as well as when the fatal flaw wasn't causing havoc for them. But I know other players don't want that sort of challenge so maybe a slot like fatal flaw could be something optional for those of us who don't mind Sims not being perfect.

I’ll check out Sims Medieval. I didn’t know about a fatal flaw.
    Sounds interesting. If it was optional that would be better. I don’t think I’d want every Sim to be a challenge 😱.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞

Might be a good way to bring back the unlucky trait aka the one trait that prevents sims from dying from anything other than old age.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

Honestly, I think they can do it but no matter how much research they do(which would cost a lot of time and money in a small budget for this game) someone will say it is not good enough. It is impossible to please everyone and now there are many platforms to voice their displeasure. I think people need to understand that it is not the devs intention to mock anyone, they are trying to put a sim spin on a situation. Sims has always been a quirky game. I will say we have gone from quirky to ridiculous at times but that is just my opinion.
    edited July 2021
    keekee53 wrote: »

Honestly, I think they can do it but no matter how much research they do(which would cost a lot of time and money in a small budget for this game) someone will say it is not good enough. It is impossible to please everyone and now there are many platforms to voice their displeasure. I think people need to understand that it is not the devs intention to mock anyone, they are trying to put a sim spin on a situation. Sims has always been a quirky game. I will say we have gone from quirky to ridiculous at times but that is just my opinion.

Exactly it's better if they avoided all that realism stuff and forcused more on giving us occult sims.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    The way i see this trait there is nothing wrong with it being in the game when look in a story point of view and as a player of the sims i clearly do not mind realism in the game all players plays the game different and the answer is plain simple simple do not use that trait if you do not went to use it because there is clearly nothing wrong with this trait
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I don't understand why the developers haven't done an update where young adults and up can have up to 6 traits. Modders have done it so it's not difficult. This way we could have so much variety in what defines a trait. I desperately am wanting a complete overhaul of that aspect of Create a Sim! The same update could flesh out the missing likes/dislikes as well!!!! ☺️
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

Wait that was so cool the fatal flaws in Sims Medieval. I think it’s fine to have that trait since we have milk now in the Sims 4 because my favorite trait in Sims 3 was Unstable. It just makes the game more interesting when you have one trait be negative.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • MissSweetVioletMissSweetViolet Posts: 50 Member
    edited July 2021
    No. My sister has been lactose and tolerant her entire life. She's excited to play this and so am I. We are always asking for more individuality. More challenge. More struggle. And when they try to give it to us we beg for it to be nerfed. Like no. Stop.

Now I do agree we need more trait slots. I'm using a mod by the pancake1 free on patreon for more trait slots. And there is another modder, Vicky I think he's called, who offers even more trait slots but I didn't need that many.

We should have this official. And it is odd for this to be a "trait" but I still love the idea of added challenge. No more nerfing some of my favorite features were nerfed and I'm still sour about it🙅‍♀️🙅‍♀️🙅‍♀️
    This. I‘m so tired of people asking everything that isn‘t bubblegum pop to be removed from the game. No wonder the game plums with a community like this. Can‘t have vampire break ins, can‘t have alien pregnancies, can‘t have murphy bed deaths, can‘t have bowing at a shrine, can‘t have lactose intolerance,…

Edit: I have 26182 allergies myself. I definitely wouldn‘t cry like a baby if they added cat allergy to the game.
    calaprfy wrote: »
    No. My sister has been lactose and tolerant her entire life. She's excited to play this and so am I. We are always asking for more individuality. More challenge. More struggle. And when they try to give it to us we beg for it to be nerfed. Like no. Stop.

Now I do agree we need more trait slots. I'm using a mod by the pancake1 free on patreon for more trait slots. And there is another modder, Vicky I think he's called, who offers even more trait slots but I didn't need that many.

We should have this official. And it is odd for this to be a "trait" but I still love the idea of added challenge. No more nerfing some of my favorite features were nerfed and I'm still sour about it🙅‍♀️🙅‍♀️🙅‍♀️
    This. I‘m so tired of people asking everything that isn‘t bubblegum pop to be removed from the game. No wonder the game plums with a community like this. Can‘t have vampire break ins, can‘t have alien pregnancies, can‘t have murphy bed deaths, can‘t have bowing at a shrine, can‘t have lactose intolerance,…

Edit: I have 26182 allergies myself. I definitely wouldn‘t cry like a baby if they added cat allergy to the game.

I too am tired of snowflakes wanting things nerfing so their utopia is not ruined. Even toggles don't do it for them. Life ain't fair so get a grip!

My dad drinks lactose-free milk and is fine, by the way.

I have no issue with toggles, but most of the things you two just mentioned DON'T have toggles! Sims should be about playing the way you want to play, and if you two like that stuff that's fine, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but those of us who don't should not be forced too, hence why I'm a toggle supporter.

Now to stay on topic;
    For the lactose intolerance, and other food related things, I agree with those who think they should be a separate category from traits. We just got the likes/dislikes. I think a food preference/allergy category separate from traits would be cool. It would add more to the sim's overall roundedness without taking trait slots.
    Post edited by MissSweetViolet on
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    Placing this as a trait, since that is the only option available at present, makes sense because the player does not have to use it.

Having it included is great and I do plan to give the lactose intolerance trait to some of my Sims.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • FrostyTigerFrostyTiger Posts: 1 New Member
    Personally, I am excited to have it as a lactose intolerant person. Although my issue is that it shouldn’t be added as a “trait”. If we are going to have more dietary restrictions in the game (whether genetic or by choice) then we should get a base game patch that allows dietary options in CAS that can also be genetic if a genetic one is picked for the sim. Maybe even an allergy section would be better? And like said above, choices like being a vegetarian could be like a diet challenge.

I just hope EA looks at these forums and takes what we say with some thought. They need to fix up the whole trait issue and move dietary/allergies/genetic stuff to its own category for sim creation.
  • SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    edited July 2021
    Aren't more humans lactose intolerant than not? I suppose in that regard, it makes sense that this would be a thing in the game. But traits should affect more than a Sim's diet. Vegetarian pretty much every trait in this game isn't really that great a trait, but it was in Sims 3, and it's more of a lifestyle choice than a health condition (even people who do it for health reasons still *choose* it). So if this is going to be a trait, I'm not sure it was a good idea...Traits are so limited to begin with. :/ It's not like the Sims 3, where an adult could have up to 5 different traits. We're talking a third of a Sim's personality here.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Aren't more humans lactose intolerant than not? I suppose in that regard, it makes sense that this would be a thing in the game. But traits should affect more than a Sim's diet. Vegetarian pretty much every trait in this game isn't really that great a trait, but it was in Sims 3, and it's more of a lifestyle choice than a health condition (even people who do it for health reasons still *choose* it). So if this is going to be a trait, I'm not sure it was a good idea...Traits are so limited to begin with. :/ It's not like the Sims 3, where an adult could have up to 5 different traits. We're talking a third of a Sim's personality here.
    I don’t get why there’s only 3 trait slots. 🤷🏼‍♂️

One thing I prefer about Sims 3 is you get 5 slots and many more traits available to select without having to purchase them as rewards etc.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • MissSweetVioletMissSweetViolet Posts: 50 Member
    I don’t get why there’s only 3 trait slots. 🤷🏼‍♂️

One thing I prefer about Sims 3 is you get 5 slots and many more traits available to select without having to purchase them as rewards etc.

I agree with this, I would love to see 2-3 more trait slots. Plus a separate category for food and/or genetics.