Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Farmland Mod & Cottage Living Pack šŸŽ šŸ¦™

troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
I was wondering if the Cottage Living Pack would make the Farmland mod moot and from this video it doesn't. This modder - Arnie, the Sims Plus has created a beautiful mod. He has a drivable tractor and riding horses. The world is open.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV8pGHfqCkE

Looking at all the animations he created for farming, it is disheartening that EA didn't do this stuff. Like just take what they did in TS3 store & packs and create a ROBUST farming pack. Would be great if EA would create a world for this Farming Mod pack and just fold it into Cottage Living. This modder proves that you can have a semi-open world, which is what TS4 should have. Now I wonder what impact it will have on performance.

Your thoughts?
wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out šŸ¤¢šŸ¤®šŸ˜±

Comments

• glory_joyglory_joy Posts: 134 Member
    @troshalom Have you played with this mod?
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Thank you for linking this video! I had heard of this mode before, but somehow was under the impression that it was very story focused, what is something I tend to run away from very quickly in games. I also don't miss open world/don't mind loading screens, so I didn't expect this mod to be something I could warm up to. Boy, was I wrong :o

Everything about the mod looks very involved, with options for different playstyles (use a preset or customize, use a tractor or have your family do the work by hand etc.). I'm at the point in the video where he says that we can buy all the components, the crop lanes, the animals, even the horses on every lot we want. This basically puts my worries as a rotational player and sandboxer to rest, because all through the video the gameplay seemed so centered on the new world and on a single sim (or at least single household) playstyle.
    I'd loved to see more about how horses route in other worlds and, although this is a very rude thing to say, seeing that Eden Hills is such a work of love, I wish the modder would release the farming objects and gameplay seperately from the new world and storymode, sort of a "light" version of the mod.

(I also need a week long Seasons trial, because the mod requires the Seasons EP (along with C&D), but that's not a problem of the mod, but of me personally.)
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    @troshalom Have you played with this mod?

Yes, I want to know too. Because I saw a conversation on here, or Twitter I canā€™t remember which, that said while this is a gorgeous mod with lots of cool features but, that it, like itā€™s predecessor Brooke Heights that it can cause crashing and freezing and other issues that the modder doesnā€™t really address because theyā€™ve moved on to another mod.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    @glory_joy & @Pamtastic72 I have not played with the mod. It is tempting, but I tend to shy away from mods with that much scripting in it. It makes me concerned it might break my game. However, if I could install another instance of TS4 on my computer then I would definitely play it. It seems interesting.

@EnkiSchmidt I couldn't imagine playing the game without Seasons. Especially since the seasons are different per each world. And I play long life span and 28 day seasons. I also love the holidays and that I can create my own holidays. I use Zerbu - More Selectable Icons so I can customize my holidays more. And Patchy is a great help in the garden.
    2021-07-12-1-00-40.png
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out šŸ¤¢šŸ¤®šŸ˜±
  • MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    This mod is just incredible, Arnie is so talented. Could we play with this world and mix in the new items from Cottage Living? I feel like that would give us such a fleshed out, gameplay heavy and customised world to play in.
    @troshalom The seasons being different (or rather: clearly defined) for each world is actually my major gripe with the EP. In my main save basically no world is more than an hour drive away from the others (except for Sulani and Selvadorada, obviously) and the game insisting on my city having five or so different climates would be very jarring.

There are more, smaller problems, but they add up and so I'd really love to get my hands on a trial version to see how annoying I find it in actual gameplay. You never know, what sounds insufferable on paper might be hardly noticeable in practise (or tweaked with cheats).
    edited July 2021
    @MoonfoxNightcry I think so. I believe he said he would be updating it and releasing a Cottage Living version. If you get this mod back up your entire game and play with a new save. If you want to play sims you already have save them to the gallery and download them. I only say that because he is changing quite a bit of code in the game and if something goes wrong you can rebuild your game and replace it with your backup.

@EnkiSchmidt It is not as you describe, the weather is a bit more nuanced. For instance in Newcrest, Magnolia Promenade & Willowbrook the weather is similar because they are closer, so if it is snowing in one of those places it should be snowing in the other places. You travel to Windenburgh it will still be snowing, or maybe raining because it is further away, you can tell by the foliage that they aren't close to each other. So if it is winter and it is snowing in San Myshuno, Windenburg, Brindleton Bay, Newcrest and you are done with it go to the Desert, Oasis Springs or Del Sol Valley, or Sulani and it won't be snowing. If you don't like the weather that day, there is an object you can purchase in build buy to change the weather to whatever you want that day. So if you are having a wedding outside and it rains, you can change the weather. You can also look at the calendar and see the weather for the week to better plan.

Yeah and it rains a lot in Windenburg so if you are into gardening that is a great place to have a garden and not worry about watering, meanwhile Oasis Springs isn't so great, your plants will certainly die in the heat without constant watering, hence the sprinkler system.

BTW your city won't have 5 or so different climates. There are four seasons. If you travel across Newcrest the weather will be the same across all of Newcrest. But I wouldn't say that all of the worlds are an hour away from each other. Which worlds do you have?

Watch some early lets play on YouTube to get a feel. I think the implementation of Seasons is realistic and I enjoy it in my game. I own TS2, TS3 and TS4 and I think TS4 is the best implementation of Seasons.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XWyPgUCm4
    @troshalom
    I feel we're hijacking this thead with my Seasons gripes, that's why the spoiler marker, but your input on the matter is apprecciated! I believe that Seasons is a great pack in itself, however, it might clash with my playstyle. Definitely my own problem, not the devs'.
    I play Sims 2 at the moment (until Cottage Living releases), and that game gives me full control over the climate of each of my neighborhoods. It's fully my world, unlike Sims 4 and 3, where it feels more like we are the guests in the devs' playground.
    @EnkiSchmidt It is not as you describe, the weather is a bit more nuanced. For instance in Newcrest, Magnolia Promenade & Willowbrook the weather is similar because they are closer, so if it is snowing in one of those places it should be snowing in the other places. You travel to Windenburgh it will still be snowing, or maybe raining because it is further away, you can tell by the foliage that they aren't close to each other. So if it is winter and it is snowing in San Myshuno, Windenburg, Brindleton Bay, Newcrest and you are done with it go to the Desert, Oasis Springs or Del Sol Valley, or Sulani and it won't be snowing.
    and
    But I wouldn't say that all of the worlds are an hour away from each other.

That's exactly the problem. The devs imagine Del Sol Valley to be in Californa, Strangerville in Nevada or New Mexico, Windenburg in Germany and Mt. Komorebi in Japan. That's not true in my game, due to space reasons.
    In my main save I use the starter neighborhood of Del Sol Valley as a rundown suburb of my San Myshuno (actually "Detroit", but let's not complicate matters). The Walk of Fame neighborhood is where my city hall is, therefore in my story this neighborhood is smack dab in the middle of San M. And Windenburg is just across the river from San M.

That's why I said my city will end up having three, four or five different climates after installing Seasons. I walk from the city hall (californian climate) to the ferry (Evergreen Harbour climate) and cross over into Windenburg where, bamm, suddenly I'm in central european climate. When basically all I need is Brindleton Bay climate everywhere (except Sulani/Selvadorada).

In another save "everything is Windenburg", it's set in Alsace/France, but Windenburg being too small I have to draft San Myshuno to serve as Strasbourg and parts of other worlds as more countryside. That save will profit so much from the addition of Henford on Bagley!

In my Star Wars save San Myshuno was supposed to be above the snowline (thanks to the First Snow mod it really was), and Strangerville in warm moderate climate (to explain why the spores would not be active in San Myshuno), so, VERY different from how Sims 4 is set up.

I need to actually play with Seasons to get a feel for how jarring the weather discrepancies actually are and what the weather machine can do. For example, can I place it on community lots? Will it work 100% or is there a risk for failure? And can I use the machine to give a world unnatural climate (snow in Del Sol Valley, for example)? If I could synchronize the worlds (I have all except for Glimmerbrook), that would go a LONG way towards my immersion.

There are numerous smaller issues, not going to derail the thread even more, just think of everything a control freak might hate ;)
    Got it @EnkiSchmidt - so much creativity. That's why the Sims games are loved, even though we gripe about them, we can play and tell our stories how we want too.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    The mod is pretty nice. Iā€™ve had some buggy issues with it so I havenā€™t played too much with it. And some things are kind of expensive for my style of gameplay. The main thing I like is the horses and the tractor (neither Iā€™ve gotten to play with yet) but I like how the cow and chickens look with the pack.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• TerryKasperTerryKasper Posts: 24 Member
    It is tragic how quickly the trailer for Cottage Living (June 10th) came out after the announcement of this mod (June 8th). We've been told by SimGurus for months over months that a farming pack was NOT going to happen a lot of us already have lost hope... Arnie did the Sims community a huge kindness by creating this mod and it might be overlooked because of its farming theme. What he did with the semi-open world concept is phenomenal! It deserves a spotlight of its own outside of the farming theme really. Graveyards and Chapels and ACTUAL grocery stores? EA could never.
    TerryCorvus @ Origin ID
    Kasp @ MTS
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited July 2021
    "We've been told by SimGurus for months over months that a farming pack was NOT going to happen a lot of us already have lost hope...

Hmmm, I don't remember that happening. Could you point to any specific examples?

As long as it takes them to work on these packs, I find it hard to believe that any guru, knowing full well they were already working on a farming pack, would ever say that it was never going to happen. At most, they might have been coy or ambiguous.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    "We've been told by SimGurus for months over months that a farming pack was NOT going to happen a lot of us already have lost hope...

Hmmm, I don't remember that happening. Could you point to any specific examples?

As long as it takes them to work on these packs, I find it hard to believe that any guru, knowing full well they were already working on a farming pack, would ever say that it was never going to happen. At most, they might have been coy or ambiguous.

I agree they even did a Twitter poll for farming so I would find it surprising that ppl were not expecting it
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    It is tragic how quickly the trailer for Cottage Living (June 10th) came out after the announcement of this mod (June 8th). We've been told by SimGurus for months over months that a farming pack was NOT going to happen a lot of us already have lost hope... Arnie did the Sims community a huge kindness by creating this mod and it might be overlooked because of its farming theme. What he did with the semi-open world concept is phenomenal! It deserves a spotlight of its own outside of the farming theme really. Graveyards and Chapels and ACTUAL grocery stores? EA could never.

I donā€™t think theyā€™ve ever said it wasnā€™t going to happen. They never do. They have said that the next pack wasnā€™t going to be farming, or a pack didnā€™t include cars, etc.

Also those on Console canā€™t use mods so itā€™s nice that a farming pack is coming. Honestly I like the look of the items and the animals in the pack.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member

I donā€™t think theyā€™ve ever said it wasnā€™t going to happen. They never do. They have said that the next pack wasnā€™t going to be farming, or a pack didnā€™t include cars, etc.

Also those on Console canā€™t use mods so itā€™s nice that a farming pack is coming. Honestly I like the look of the items and the animals in the pack.

Also I play on pc and have a bunch of mods but I don't like mods that add a new system or smth like that so I'm happy for a pack.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Not a fan of Arnie. He is talented and I admire him because of his skills, but he has a record of abandoning his mods (loading screen mod for example) so I don't look much at his mods sadly. That is why I prefer cottage living.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    edited July 2021
    TS1299 wrote: Ā»
    Not a fan of Arnie. He is talented and I admire him because of his skills, but he has a record of abandoning his mods (loading screen mod for example) so I don't look much at his mods sadly. That is why I prefer cottage living.

Same here. Heā€™s honestly incredible, but has even abandoned projects that are much less ambitious than Brooklyn Heights and the Farming mod, for example his world maps mod. I tend to lose faith and back down in financially supporting creators who consistently do this.
    Hmm good
    taydev wrote: Ā»

Same here. Heā€™s honestly incredible, but has even abandoned projects that are much less ambitious than Brooklyn Heights and the Farming mod, for example his world maps mod. I tend to lose faith and back down in financially supporting creators who consistently do this.

@taydev ahh, I didn't know that. I am shy about massive script mods as I don't want the game to break and with the amount of updates EA throws at us, it just makes me risk adverse. But given the work he put into this mod it is sad to hear that he abandons them after he finishes with them.
  • TerryKasperTerryKasper Posts: 24 Member

True, right, I think that's where I got my misguided impression- Every time someone asked if the next pack was going to be farming the simgurus said no (I can't find any screenshots, probably because Cottage Living hype is drowning out any mention of a farming pack prior to its announcement)... Anyhow you (and Amapola76) are correct, I don't recall they flat out said it was never happening. My bad.
    TerryCorvus @ Origin ID
    Kasp @ MTS
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm still waiting for the release of his swim in all worlds mod 84 years lateršŸ˜…šŸ˜…šŸ˜…
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(