Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you/would you disable emotional deaths with MCCC?

GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
edited July 2021 in General Mods Discussion
I'm trying to decide whether I want to disable emotional deaths with MCCC or not and I'm curious whether others do.

Pros of Disabling: I think that the emotional deaths are ridiculous, and too sensitive to small things, and there have been a few times that they have killed Sims I was genuinely sad to lose. I'm actually kind of annoyed because that's such a stupid and unrealistic cause of death.

Cons of Disabling: Even though I was sad to lose those Sims, it did make for unexpected twists in the story. I had one comedian die tragically young, leaving behind her husband and pre-teen child. The boy grew up to become a master actor, inspired by working through the loss of his mother, and he has an incredibly close bond with his father (they have matching tattoos in honor of his mother). Now he is raising his own son and lost her mother to a break-up/affair, and his son wants to become a master actor and the father-son bond is repeating across generations. I'm going to play this legacy of actors down the line now. I would never have gotten this interesting character/story development without the unplanned death. And additionally, I almost never lose Sims to anything else besides old age. In fact, I have never lost a played Sim to any other cause of death. A few dumb NPCs have died in blizzards, or vampire attacks, but that's it.

TLDR; I wish other types of death occurred just a teeny bit more easily, and emotional deaths were slightly less sensitive. Do you allow emotional deaths, and why or why not?
My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3

Comments

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I have them disabled, I think it’s a silly concept and I don’t enjoy having to worry about my sims moods all the time.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I wouldn't just because I have next to no trouble keeping Sims alive in 4. In fact, the last time I tried to kill one it took a rather long time... So I don't see any need and there have been so many ridiculous things in the Sims over the years that very little of it bothers me.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I agree that they tip the ridiculous scale too far, so I have them disabled. There are other ways sims can die, after all. They're often silly, too, but not as bad as the emotional death nonsense. All that said, I'm not above occasionally cheating to create an emotional death or two when I get... in a mood. :smirk:

FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • VaniliciousVanilicious Posts: 98 Member
    i have them disabled too
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I have them disabled, because I feel Sims reach the "danger zone" moodlets like hysterical, enranged and mortified waaay to easily.
  • DarkAuditDarkAudit Posts: 169 Member
    I disabled them because after one particular Harvestfest grand meal, both parents were hysterical. I managed to calm dad down with a cheat, but was too late to save mom.

Without that cheat, the kids would've been orphaned, and game over. So I rolled back to the minutes before dinner and turned them off.
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I have them disabled, as well. If they were toned down a bit... like it wasn't so incredibly easy for them to die this way... then I would reenable the option.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    With mods making emotions more balanced and difficult to control, the emotional deaths are more often then not, a very welcome surprise in my game when they do occur. I once made a vampire enrage an entire community lot, and like flies many of the sims started dropping dead from anger. It also makes emotions a much more meaningful gameplay mechanic, since when my sims do enter extreme moods, I need to be careful in order to avoid a death, I may be forced to find a way to change or calm their emotions in order to keep them alive, this goes for both my played sims and unplayed sims out in my world. If my sims' best friend outside of the household is in a hysterical mood, I need to find a way to prevent them from dying without being in direct control of them.

Although they are silly, it adds challenge and depth to the emotion system (with mods), so I enjoy the spontaneous opportunities to be strategic in my gameplay.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Sims 4 gives players plenty of warnings to prevent sim deaths so I keep them on.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I don't I find it hard to actually get my sims to the point of emotional death.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,481 Member
    edited July 2021
    This is going to sound hypocritical, I'm certain. I'm one who sorely misses the random deaths in the game. I began my Simming Odyssey with Sims2, you see. There you had to be on your guard. Pregnant Sims could die during their pregnancy. Don't let them ever take out the trash. Keep a banquet table on hand so they don't starve to death. If your Sim attempts to fix something electrical, they could fry themselves. Ghosts were not your friend. No Casper the Ghost in that game. If your Sims' needs are too low and a ghost scares them, oopsie, another Sim bites the dust.

So, since I had never experienced an emotional death, I left it on, realizing that I never experienced all things in both Sims2 & 3. However, when I lost not one but two Sims one right after the other at a Charity Event my Global Superstar was throwing (his very first one), I shrugged and started the family again. But, then it appeared as if the game itself (I know it sounds insane) targeted my Global Superstar killing him not once but three separate times. First time I didn't comprehend how or why he became hysterical. So, I rolled the save back one and discovered his older brother told him a joke. I was able to avert the problem. But, just as in real life you can't escape your Fate, Death knocked on his door a bit later. He died at the foot of the front porch steps. I rolled back a few more saves to when his twin nephews were still infants. Suddenly, he was targeted again. I deleted that game save altogether and came to the boards to share my stories of WOE.

That's when I found out I could bypass Emotional deaths. Hey, I had experienced it more than a few times. When EA tweaks it a bit, if they do, then I'll remove my SAFEGUARD. It's one thing for a random happening to occur, but quite another when the game itself seems intent on killing your most favorite Sim. Call me a Hypocrite, I don't care. If you only knew what I have been through with this Sim, you would understand, I'm sure.

ETA: To the OP, it is entirely possible for a person in RL to laugh themselves to death. It can cause a heart-attack and that's no joke. Look it up yourself and you'll find what I found. On the surface it seems improbable and silly, but even some die of the proverbial Broken Heart. Just look at how the Hysterical Sim ends up clutching at their heart. I'm just sayin' …

ETA: After I finished reading your post, especially on the cons side of the issue, I felt compelled to tell more of my story. I did try to play out that first game save. My Global Superstar was the one tapped to care for the Toddler twin boys. His then girlfriend must have had an aversion to children because she was useless. I mean, we're talking she didn't lift a finger to help out! Out of fear and because I actually dreaded the knock on the door (I knew in my heart was coming) with the SS (sorry) I mean Social Worker would show up tp take the wee boys away. Erik did his very best, too, but he just couldn't keep up the pace and keep his career alive. Again, his soon-to-be EX girlfriend was totally useless. That's when I rolled the game save back to when the twins were still infants. After that things just went downhill.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    edited July 2021
    @GalacticGal Thanks for sharing your story. As I read it, your issues with emotional deaths really are similar to my own. I absolutely miss the variety and randomness of deaths. I wish there were other types of death in this game that could occur just a little bit more frequently, because I like the surprises changing my story, even when I am sad. But the emotional deaths just happen far too easily - I find the Starlight Accolades particularly dangerous for some reason. For now, I am leaving them on in my game because it feels like the only chance for unexpected death.

And yeah, that could happen in real life but not at the rate it happens in the game! Haha

I actually added a seafood restaurant and made sure pufferfish was on the menu, and added a vampire death mod and created a vampire club so that at least some NPCs will die randomly. So far the vampires are VERY lethal and the pufferfish has yet to take anyone out. :lol:
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,481 Member
    Hm, pufferfish. I haven't tried that one, yet. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • lexiiiiplayssimslexiiiiplayssims Posts: 8 New Member
    I don't have them disabled because I feel like they do make for some really interesting plot twists! Emotional deaths are fun in some forms, because they make me rewrite all of the storylines and take them to different places which is really interesting! The downside to emotional deaths is that they can be really problematic. I remember when I was playing the not so berry challenge, and my Green sim (Sage) was having a birthday party for her toddler - The Blue Generation (Skye) and she was lying about her career to one of her friends (an interaction that she did herself - not me) and for some weird reason, Sage found this so, so funny, that she started to become literally hysterical and I couldn't calm her down in time. She died, and I hadn't even completed any of the challenges for the Green generation! I was literally so annoyed as I had played for hours without saving (idiotic...i know) and I had to select "Don't Save" and go back to before that horrible birthday party. The next time the toddler had her birthday party, a guest died right there and then of sadness. I don't exactly know why but Sage then had the urn in her house and she was constantly mourning this person. In the 100 baby challenge that I'm doing right now, my matriarch sim (Lila) was only on the 23rd baby, and she WooHoo'd with Mortimer Goth (Hey, I was desperate!!) and she turned out not to be pregnant, which really made her so upset, she was sad for ages. It was also Harvestfest on that day, and Lila was paying attention to other matters (babies) and so she didn't do anything to celebrate, which made her even sadder. Then, to top it off, one of her neighbour friends died of old age, and that made her so sad because she was at his house when he died. The final straw was when she was hosting a party and had a massive argument with one of her ex-WooHoo's and ended up dying of anger. She was already in a horrible mood, and that sort of fuelled her anger and angry death. Basically, I have them enabled, but I sort of wish that I didn't! Happy Simming :) x
  • lexiiiiplayssimslexiiiiplayssims Posts: 8 New Member
    > @lexiiiiplayssims said:
    > I don't have them disabled because I feel like they do make for some really interesting plot twists! Emotional deaths are fun in some forms, because they make me rewrite all of the storylines and take them to different places which is really interesting! The downside to emotional deaths is that they can be really problematic. I remember when I was playing the not so berry challenge, and my Green sim (Sage) was having a birthday party for her toddler - The Blue Generation (Skye) and she was lying about her career to one of her friends (an interaction that she did herself - not me) and for some weird reason, Sage found this so, so funny, that she started to become literally hysterical and I couldn't calm her down in time. She died, and I hadn't even completed any of the challenges for the Green generation! I was literally so annoyed as I had played for hours without saving (❤️❤️❤️❤️...i know) and I had to select "Don't Save" and go back to before that horrible birthday party. The next time the toddler had her birthday party, a guest died right there and then of sadness. I don't exactly know why but Sage then had the urn in her house and she was constantly mourning this person. In the 100 baby challenge that I'm doing right now, my matriarch sim (Lila) was only on the 23rd baby, and she WooHoo'd with Mortimer Goth (Hey, I was desperate!!) and she turned out not to be pregnant, which really made her so upset, she was sad for ages. It was also Harvestfest on that day, and Lila was paying attention to other matters (babies) and so she didn't do anything to celebrate, which made her even sadder. Then, to top it off, one of her neighbour friends died of old age, and that made her so sad because she was at his house when he died. The final straw was when she was hosting a party and had a massive argument with one of her ex-WooHoo's and ended up dying of anger. She was already in a horrible mood, and that sort of fuelled her anger and angry death. Basically, I have them enabled, but I sort of wish that I didn't! Happy Simming :) x

NOT OF SADNESS I'M A STUPID PERSON OF EMBARASSMENT
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    I keep them disabled. I lost a sim to the Hysterical one on Winterfest once. I feel like it's way too easy for your sims to get in that state since happy moodlets boost playful ones. My sim was in a good mood because of the holiday and his toddler did something cute which sent him into hysteria and by the time I caught it and tried to calm him down in the bathroom it was too late. The mortified and enraged ones I feel like are harder to get but I just keep them disabled altogether so I don't have to worry about my sims dying just because they watched the comedy channel on tv.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I disabled those long, long ago as soon as I had three Sims in one household die in a single day. I enjoy surprises in the game as much as anyone, but losing both parents and the grandmother, which left two toddlers and a child orphaned, I decided I wasn't looking for that kind of surprise after all. It happened with one of my main families in a rotation save, plus they'd just moved into a new home I built specifically for them. I quit the game without saving, disabled emotional deaths, and never looked back.
  • Garaya13Garaya13 Posts: 60 Member
    I have them disabled, mainly because of the hysterical one. In my experience it's way too easy to have your sim die of laughter. They just have to be in a good mood and a few jokes later I would promptly have to send them to the nearest mirror to calm themselves down.
    Besides that I'm overly attatched to my sims and don't want them to die ever :D
  • PukitakiPukitaki Posts: 10 New Member
    I am actually looking at disabling them, but really wish there were a way to have -limits- on emotional death. Like... Elder Sims that might have a heart condition could have a heart attack from anger... or maybe woohoo excitement... but there's no reason a YA Sim would drop dead while telling the chickens a joke. It's nuts.

So until I can figure out those sorts of limits, I'm disabling them entirely.
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,109 Member
    I've disabled them in my game. As other's have said it can be way too easy for sims to get too emotional.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I have them turned on. I have only in six years had 3 sims die of emotion. Geoffrey Landgraab from anger in the Black Widow challenge. I initiated it and it took 30 real life minutes to accomplish it. I was exhausted by the time it happened. I had 1 sim I made die of hysteria because she was really happy, had just played with her toddler and then started telling jokes, and finally Judith Ward. She died of anger researching the emotion for an upcoming gig quite by accident, oh well 🤷🏼‍♀️. I don’t get too fussed when sims die, they still exist in my library ready to play another save. I just take in stride. Besides there’s very little in this game that happens spontaneously in fact almost everything has to be completely forced to happen. So I’m not going to disable any feature that might offer even a scintilla of a surprise.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    edited November 2021
    I think I must have them turned off and didn't remember that I did, because I was horrified to lose a favorite Sim by an emotional death (hysterical) once but knew to quit without saving, at least.

But I take the OP's and others' points, that the unexpected is needed in the game. However, my preference would be not to have to rely on asinine means to accomplish it. Random accidental deaths can happen by fire, drowning, lightning strike, and electrocution already, but but never kill without the player making it so, so they aren't really like random deaths.

If an element of the unexpected could be inserted, that there was a small chance that a lightning strike or electrocution could kill the first time it happened, and drowning could occasionally happen unexpectedly (such as a jump from the dive platform going wrong, or a Sim getting a cramp or getting hypothermia in cold-weather swimming), it would add back the rare unexpected story changes, without having to rely on such things as dying of embarrassment. Dying of boredom would be more apropos, wouldn't it?
    Post edited by ignominiusrex on
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I keep them on, the risk of death no matter how small should be there
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    I added a cc trait called Emo and it proved to be a deathtrap! Good if you want a character to establish themself and then perish. Not good for a friend.
  • ailujmsailujms Posts: 27 Member
    I go back and forth. Right now I have them enabled, but the Hysterical mood has been quite annoying sometimes. In my current legacy challenge, when I played with my heir in a haunted house, she would often be playful because of the spectres and actually died twice because of hysteria. One time I was able to revert it by giving Grim a death flower, but then it happened again so soon I quit without saving and disabled it for a while. She hadn't had any kids yet and she was my main sim so I didn't want the challenge to end (I was already on gen7). Then, recently it happened again (i'm on gen 9 now), it wasn't with my main sim, it was his sister, but it was SO random and during their birthday party of all things, I quit without saving again. But at the same time I kinda like the additional challenge (to try and prevent sims from dying), so keeping them on for the moment even though I don't like when it happens with a sim I care about. So yeah, quite hypocritical I guess, hahaha.