Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Plan on Buying Paralives vs TS5?

Comments

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    @Cinebar sometimes I wonder if the paralives dev found himself in over his head with all of the expectations and demands sims fans put on him.
    I remember the girl who got fired saying he keeps delaying making anything related to live mode and has no long term planning. Everyone cursed her for it but it really seems to be the case.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Other
    @Cinebar sometimes I wonder if the paralives dev found himself in over his head with all of the expectations and demands sims fans put on him.
    I remember the girl who got fired saying he keeps delaying making anything related to live mode and has no long term planning. Everyone cursed her for it but it really seems to be the case.

I was so annoyed that people attacked her and didn’t listen to what she had to say. Yes she spoke in a very disgusting way but this doesn‘t mean she was lying. I actually left the Patreon & unfollowed everything Paralives related on Twitter because of that. And honestly if the dev is struggling with the high expectations then he needs to blame himself. What did he think would happen when he ran after every big EA GameChanger to hype his project?
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,775 Member
    Other

I was so annoyed that people attacked her and didn’t listen to what she had to say. Yes she spoke in a very disgusting way but this doesn‘t mean she was lying. I actually left the Patreon & unfollowed everything Paralives related on Twitter because of that. And honestly if the dev is struggling with the high expectations then he needs to blame himself. What did he think would happen when he ran after every big EA GameChanger to hype his project?

So was I.

I enjoy her creations a lot in TS2 , and never believed all the accusations she was getting.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2021
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.

I hope what was said isn't true, but might be. This producer ( a new member) from my understanding hadn't been there very long (a few months?) time flies. All I saw was well wishes on their next endeavor but I could have sworn they just joined. And openings for more devs in 3D animation or something like that.

I went back and looked at what had already been done and announced to the public and yeah, the 3D modeling stuff was a few years ago. :/ So, back to that, I guess.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    Cinebar wrote: »

I hope what was said isn't true, but might be. This producer ( a new member) from my understanding hadn't been there very long (a few months?) time flies. All I saw was well wishes on their next endeavor but I could have sworn they just joined. And openings for more devs in 3D animation or something like that.

I went back and looked at what had already been done and announced to the public and yeah, the 3D modeling stuff was a few years ago. :/ So, back to that, I guess.

I wouldn’t mind Paralives shipping primarily as a house building simulator to start with. The 11 minute build video I watched was so good. They could start small, the gameplay could be choosing your house and settling in, meeting your neighbours and finding a job etc.

I don’t want them to worry about matching Sims. They need to be different, they must be different.

In my opinion Paralives has influenced the Sims team, as one trailer a Parafolk took off his shoes and Sims 4 added this.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Other

I think the best hope for the project is probably some studio buying out what he's already done, and finishing it.

I'm not a game development expert and won't even pretend to be. But I have watched the development of a lot of games over the years. I can't personally think of an instance where long-term fixation on one part of the game, without also moving along the other parts, has been successful. If it ever gets published (after over a decade in development), I guess that Star Citizen will be one data point against me.
    Other

Christine (communications director) just announced that she‘s leaving too. Pixelade made a video about it.
    SimSpock wrote: »

I think the best hope for the project is probably some studio buying out what he's already done, and finishing it.

I'm not a game development expert and won't even pretend to be. But I have watched the development of a lot of games over the years. I can't personally think of an instance where long-term fixation on one part of the game, without also moving along the other parts, has been successful. If it ever gets published (after over a decade in development), I guess that Star Citizen will be one data point against me.

I don‘t think so. The only reason I can imagine why a studio would want to acquire Paralives is to kill it/to eliminate a potential competitor. I just can‘t see an established studio trying to threaten EA‘s monopoly with an indie project. They have the resources and experiences to come up with their own stuff, do their own research, create their own fanbase, etc.

edited July 2021
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    I'm a little aggravated today. I checked what this week's news was about that is happening with Paralives. More details about buildmode. I love building and creating things in these games. Once I built a lot and dug a hole, and had my Sims go there as part of an Indiana Jones sort of dig. I had torches and hidden objects down there. Up top was a jungle full of trees and bushes. It was no easy task for the Sim to get down into the dig. It was great. lol I love detail in building to make something even if just a room, as immersive as I can get it. However, another week, week after week and nothing about gameplay or jobs or any traits confirmed or any 'action' at all. Paralives would be great as building simulator, I love to build but I play a life simulator for the life, I might have to give up on both these games if one is an MMORPG and one is a building simulator. Because that's all the news there ever is so far.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'm a little aggravated today. I checked what this week's news was about that is happening with Paralives. More details about buildmode. I love building and creating things in these games. Once I built a lot and dug a hole, and had my Sims go there as part of an Indiana Jones sort of dig. I had torches and hidden objects down there. Up top was a jungle full of trees and bushes. It was no easy task for the Sim to get down into the dig. It was great. lol I love detail in building to make something even if just a room, as immersive as I can get it. However, another week, week after week and nothing about gameplay or jobs or any traits confirmed or any 'action' at all. Paralives would be great as building simulator, I love to build but I play a life simulator for the life, I might have to give up on both these games if one is an MMORPG and one is a building simulator. Because that's all the news there ever is so far.

Why should Paralives be rushed being developed by a small game studio when Maxis, a much larger game studio with more resources, has been dragging their feet regarding The Sims 5 for the past seven years?

I'm willing to wait and see how they do on parafolk AI and other game mechanics. I've got my beloved TS3 and other games to play in the meantime.

So was I.

I enjoy her creations a lot in TS2 , and never believed all the accusations she was getting.

The Roxanne that created lots for TS2 is NOT the same Roxanne that was fired from Paralives. Two totally different people.

Christine (communications director) just announced that she‘s leaving too. Pixelade made a video about it.

Yeah, I saw Pixelade's video. At first it scared me because the way he was so sad about announcing the news, I thought Paralives got cancelled or something! Lol! But what made me laugh even more is that once everyone realized that Christine was just leaving to pursue her own dream project, everyone in the comments was like, "Whew! For a second I thought Paralives was cancelled! Thank God an employee was just leaving! Farewell Christine and good luck!" 😂

Other

The Roxanne that created lots for TS2 is NOT the same Roxanne that was fired from Paralives. Two totally different people.
    I am sorry , but I know who am I talking about. I have followed her before and when she got hired and after, when she got fired, still do, in Tumblr , I could even post pics to prove it, but I will not do that as I it is the past, and does not belong in here. But you will find same with tiny amount of googling.

(but i will naturally send the link via PM to you, if needed.)

I am sorry , but I know who am I talking about. I have followed her before and when she got hired and after, when she got fired, still do, in Tumblr , I could even post pics to prove it, but I will not do that as I it is the past, and does not belong in here. But you will find same with tiny amount of googling.

Sure, send me the link in PM, thanks!
    Other
    I did :)

edited July 2021

I did some googling as you suggested and I did find her tweets. I think everything should be laid out here as I think this is important in regard to Paralives since there are a good number of people planning to buy it vs. TS5.

Reading her tweets, she has absolutely no emotional self-control. For example, she knows she interrupts people and apologizes every time, but she's made ZERO effort to correct this.

In one of her twit rants she writes: "Alex's response to stressful social media is to ignore it, like that isn't a huge part of what is bringing him profit or setting him up as the 'human alternative' to EA. He'll just put a fake nice smiley but ignore the actual problems." But as a working professional, one is NOT suppose to engage in stressful social media, NOT to engage in social media drama, and has nothing to do with profit. It's simply unprofessional. You don't see ANY SANE working individual ever do that. It's just petty.

Also I've read the reddit thread you sent me through PM and virtually NO ONE in the comments is on her side. As a matter of fact, they even defended Alex and his decisions very well. They all see her as I do - unstable, over-emotional and unprofessional:

One of the posts that summed it all up:
    "I think she deleted this because she is not getting the response she expected to get (and people are digging up receipts; so common when someone says something questionable). I think she expected more people to be on her side and since it doesn't seem like that is happening, she deleted it. Or, maybe, the fact that other employers might possibly see this stuff and it will affect her future.

Also, if this is how she acts, who in the world would want to call her or video chat with her? And with the pandemic going on, an email isn't all the insane. As for why he did it after the reveal? Well, maybe because he didn't want to have to cancel the reveal or have such a negative thing going on during the reveal; if they know this is how she acts, that was probably a good decision. Not to mention, it seems Roxane was very upset by some reactions to the reveal, which may have increased toxic behavior and it became too much and they had to let her go.

All I will say is, this is making her look more and more unprofessional. Let the drama part go; if Alex owes her pay or something like that, she needs to get that done in private. Dragging this all around multiple platforms makes it seem like she's doing it to spite him or try and mess up public perception of the game rather than trying to explain her side of things or set things straight with the team. It's adding a lot of validity to the reason she got fired; she is coming off pretty toxic. Like I would not want to work with someone doing stuff like this."

It's also well worth it to read the other posts on that discussion.

Here is Alex's reply regarding her expulsion from the company:

I'm GLAD Alex fired her. Whether she used to make lots for TS2 or not, it doesn't matter. She isn't a good employee.

edited July 2021
    Other
    @ClarionOfJoy , my point is or was not go thru all of that (edited as I misread). OR who is on her side or not. Or the most important, bring all old stuff out of their graves. Why I refused even post that old stuff in here anyway.

I was mentioning that I used and still use her creations (objects, not "lots") at TS2, and I was ONLY commenting because you said to me she was not the same person, what was incorrect. Everything else is not my business.

@ClarionOfJoy , my point is or was not go thru all of that (edited as I misread). OR who is on her side or not. Or the most important, bring all old stuff out of their graves. Why I refused even post that old stuff in here anyway.

I was mentioning that I used and still use her creations at TS2, and I was ONLY commenting because you said to me she was not the same person, what was incorrect. Everything else is not my business.

I'm fine with that. I just saw a good opportunity to clarify the issue about Roxane. She got fired because of her unprofessional conduct and instability so she tried to smear Alex by saying that he didn't have a long term plan or wasn't implementing live mode fast enough. But this is a project that is going to take quite a while for a small game studio - parafolk AI and town dynamics would actually be the hardest part of it and would be the last to be implemented after building features are done. There was no need to talk about live mode yet, she was just trying to bring Paralives down along with her.

Other

I was mentioning that I used and still use her creations at TS2, and I was ONLY commenting because you said to me she was not the same person, what was incorrect. Everything else is not my business.

I'm fine with that. I just saw a good opportunity to clarify the issue about Roxane. She got fired because of her unprofessional conduct and instability so she tried to smear Alex by saying that he didn't have a long term plan or wasn't implementing live mode fast enough. But this is a project that is going to take quite a while for a small game studio - parafolk AI and town dynamics would actually be the hardest part of it and would be the last to be implemented after building features are done. There was no need to talk about live mode yet, she was just trying to bring Paralives down along with her.

Was she lying though? This was one year ago and there is still no long term plan or live mode development. I cancelled my pledge before this post but can a patron verify if the official road map really says that the beta will be released in early 2021?

https://www.patreon.com/posts/paralives-37632182

Was she lying though? This was one year ago and there is still no long term plan or live mode development. I cancelled my pledge before this post but can a patron verify if the official road map really says that the beta will be released in early 2021?

Do I think she's lying? I think she was sore that she got fired so she said things to try to bring Paralives down with her. For a project this big, I don't think developers would post a long term plan because people can twist it somehow. Even Maxis doesn't do this and we don't question it. What the Paralives dev team has done and what every other game studio has done is give updates on what is being recently developed. And Paralives has been very good with that through their Patreon webpage and their Discord channel (I get my Paralives info from Discord). From what I can see, Patreon members are satisfied - the membership has actually gone up since that incident.

In terms of live mode - parafolk AI and town dynamics/story progression will actually be the biggest and most difficult part to develop and implement and would probably be started when all the building features are nearly completed. So that will be a while.

Why aren't you guys demanding Maxis to talk about live mode yet in TS5? They have an even bigger dev team so they should be finished with live mode RIGHT NOW, correct?

Other

Do I think she's lying? I think she was sore that she got fired so she said things to try to bring Paralives down with her. For a project this big, I don't think developers would post a long term plan because people can twist it somehow. Even Maxis doesn't do this and we don't question it. What the Paralives dev team has done and what every other game studio has done is give updates on what is being recently developed. And Paralives has been very good with that through their Patreon webpage and their Discord channel (I get my Paralives info from Discord). From what I can see, Patreon members are satisfied - the membership has actually gone up since that incident.

In terms of live mode - parafolk AI and town dynamics/story progression will actually be the biggest and most difficult part to develop and implement and would probably be started when all the building features are nearly completed. So that will be a while.

Why aren't you guys demanding Maxis to talk about live mode yet in TS5? They have an even bigger dev team so they should be finished with live mode RIGHT NOW, correct?

Maxis has to report to their investors, not customers about upcoming projects. Do you think Maxis isn’t giving their investors a long term plan? Do you think Maxis doesn‘t have to report and defend their progress (or lack thereof) to their investors? Paralives‘ investors are their patrons and it‘s time that they‘re treated as such. $500,000 a year is a lot of money. A long term plan is really the bare minimum they should be releasing. So far they have done nothing to earn this blind trust the community is giving them.

Are you a patron btw? Can you answer what I posted above?
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Other
    taydev wrote: »
    As for TS5, my trust and hope in EA is non existent at this point. I plan to observe the game for at least a couple of years, and if the next iteration turns out to be several steps above TS4 (highly doubtful) then I’ll buy.

@taydev don't hold your breath. if they truly go MMO with it you can expect craptons of microtransactions and 80% of the content behind paywalls... it is EA's way of business nowadays >.< pay full price for a lackluster mobile free to play knockoff

I'm inclined to agree and honestly think that TS4 will be my final stop for this franchise.

Maxis has to report to their investors, not customers about upcoming projects. Do you think Maxis isn’t giving their investors a long term plan? Do you think Maxis doesn‘t have to report and defend their progress (or lack thereof) to their investors? Paralives‘ investors are their patrons and it‘s time that they‘re treated as such. $500,000 a year is a lot of money. A long term plan is really the bare minimum they should be releasing. So far they have done nothing to earn this blind trust the community is giving them.

Have you gone to the Paralives website??? They DO outline what their long term goals are, the features they want to implement, where they are on the long road to completion, and what progress has been made so far. You act like they don't say anything at all as if they're being dishonest when it's been there on their webpage the whole time. Their Patreon membership has gone up since that incident so people are definitely satisfied with the progress the devs are reporting.

I'm not a Patreon member. I've never heard them talk about a beta release in 2021, not even on their Discord channel, no reports of it on YouTube, nothing. It's nowhere mentioned in the official website itself. As a matter of fact, on the development page, it shows where they are in the process. Right now they are at the Pre-Alpha stage. You don't even need to be a Patreon member to see that. Now if they are in Pre-Alpha, what would make you think they're set for a beta release, much less demo a polished live mode?

By the way, they have a great sense of humor! You've been asking for a look at their live mode, so here it is in all of it's Pre-Alpha glory! Got this from their Discord channel, lol!

image_3.png

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Other
    I don't follow this game's development, but no TS4 game changers posted anything new about it so I assume no major improvement was released since they posted about the clothing options. Wish they would release actual gameplay, so we could see the characters interreact with each other and their environment. Anyway, to me it looks like EA is also keeping up with this game's development as they have implemented some features in TS4 that this game advertised first, like moving windows and changing footwear. So, I hope they release more stuff that will make EA step up their game and improve areas of TS4 that can be improved.
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I don't follow this game's development, but no TS4 game changers posted anything new about it so I assume no major improvement was released since they posted about the clothing options. Wish they would release actual gameplay, so we could see the characters interreact with each other and their environment. Anyway, to me it looks like EA is also keeping up with this game's development as they have implemented some features in TS4 that this game advertised first, like moving windows and changing footwear. So, I hope they release more stuff that will make EA step up their game and improve areas of TS4 that can be improved.

hahahaha EA putting in work to improve a game without financial benefit for them?? good one matey :lol: but yeah not gonna hold my breath for that. EA is way too greedy to care about making the game better for free. more likely they will sell you this so called "improvement with a pack and then introduce even more gamebreaking bugs as a present. we are talking about a company that defends child gambling for their own financial benefit!

Other

Have you gone to the Paralives website??? They DO outline what their long term goals are, the features they want to implement, where they are on the long road to completion, and what progress has been made so far. You act like they don't say anything at all as if they're being dishonest when it's been there on their webpage the whole time. Their Patreon membership has gone up since that incident so people are definitely satisfied with the progress the devs are reporting.

I'm not a Patreon member. I've never heard them talk about a beta release in 2021, not even on their Discord channel, no reports of it on YouTube, nothing. It's nowhere mentioned in the official website itself. As a matter of fact, on the development page, it shows where they are in the process. Right now they are at the Pre-Alpha stage. You don't even need to be a Patreon member to see that. Now if they are in Pre-Alpha, what would make you think they're set for a beta release, much less demo a polished live mode?

By the way, they have a great sense of humor! You've been asking for a look at their live mode, so here it is in all of it's Pre-Alpha glory! Got this from their Discord channel, lol!

image_3.png

I posted a link to their patreon. All I need is a patron to click on it and tell me if it really says there will be a beta in early 2021. I think this was the roadmap they posted after Roxane accused Alex of not having a long term plan.
    edited July 2021

Why should Paralives be rushed being developed by a small game studio when Maxis, a much larger game studio with more resources, has been dragging their feet regarding The Sims 5 for the past seven years?

I'm willing to wait and see how they do on parafolk AI and other game mechanics. I've got my beloved TS3 and other games to play in the meantime.

So was I.

Yeah, I saw Pixelade's video. At first it scared me because the way he was so sad about announcing the news, I thought Paralives got cancelled or something! Lol! But what made me laugh even more is that once everyone realized that Christine was just leaving to pursue her own dream project, everyone in the comments was like, "Whew! For a second I thought Paralives was cancelled! Thank God an employee was just leaving! Farewell Christine and good luck!" 😂

No one is rushing Paralives' team. But many people in this thread several pages back are supporting this game with their monthly contributions, Including myself. We don't demand Maxis show us anything because we aren't funding them. They are an actual business, no one but share holders (some on this site are share holders) get the inside news, like profits and losses etc. and a broad roadmap of what might be planned, but never the sticky details> Such as gameplay, type of characters etc. Shareholders get a general idea of what they plan and time frames etc. for release and more broadly what type of game. That's about it.

People who are supporting paralives realize it's not a 'company' it's a team of people doing this as a team and sharing the profits from those who are paying a monthly fee. And it's still remains facts that not much as been disclosed to any person about what has been finished or polished up as far as any path finding, routing and or gameplay and interactions between Parafolk and the 'world'. Nothing is being reported to any of us except build mode and some modding options. That's all great, we all want curved walls and loft apartments, and terraforming. However, the roadmap was posted they would be working on path finding, animations, interactions, and character development..right now this summer. However, what has been shared so far is more build mode details to add immersion to buildings. That's all I can report without leaking.

It would seem if they were working on path finding, animations, character development and gameplay (in their roadmap this summer) they might want to share some of it, before we all bail out. It's possible to prototype a game for another company and this one never happen. That is how the Unreal engine is used by many people who prototype games then the bigger companies use those prototypes.

• poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    Other
    Realistically it's an indie studio making a very ambitious project where the lead guy has said "yes" to every feature people asked for. I don't see it delivering on all of those. I've seen enough kickstarter/funded/early access games fail that I won't believe it's going to be successful until I actually see it being successful. Heck, a game I kickstarted just came out and was nothing like what they promised, so I've experience with myself. Realistically it might deliver on half of what they've said soon and it might be good. Or it might end up stuck in Early Access forever with the promise of more features until the game shuts down due to lack of funding. Or it might end up being an amazing game that surpasses everyone's expectations. But I think it's way too early to tell based on what they've shown. Their version of CAS and build/buy is very promising, but what about when you add the actual open world gameplay to that? With the houseboats and horses and pets and (seemingly) no rabbitholes, etc etc since I lost track of all the things that were promised? That's the bit I want to see.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top