Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recently gone back to sims 3...

Comments

• lolbittabrittalolbittabritta Posts: 1 New Member
    I started playing ts3 last year and when I started it seemed so much different than ts4. I was amazed on how much stuff there was to do. I still play ts4 but recently it's gotten lackluster so I haven't played in a while. I might go back but I not sure at the moment. Anyways, all I'm gonna say is that I love ts3 and that I won't stop playing. <3
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    @Jeansoo it's TSR Workshop. Go to the TSR site and you should be able to find it. I downloaded it once a few years ago but couldn't ever get it to work for me. Obviously @Nikkei_Simmer has got it working beautifully.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    @Jeansoo it's TSR Workshop. Go to the TSR site and you should be able to find it. I downloaded it once a few years ago but couldn't ever get it to work for me. Obviously @Nikkei_Simmer has got it working beautifully.

Let it be known that TSR Workshop has a bit of a learning curve to it. You have to understand what layers are, and what each one does in terms of affecting how the finished product looks. There are some very good tutorials on TSRW

https://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:TS3_CAS_Tutorials
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

Let it be known that TSR Workshop has a bit of a learning curve to it. You have to understand what layers are, and what each one does in terms of affecting how the finished product looks. There are some very good tutorials on TSRW

My problem was I couldn't get it to run at all. I wondered if I'd downloaded a version for a different operating system or something. In the end I just abandoned it as being too hard. I did have the tutorial and I couldn't find any way of doing what the tutorials were telling me to do.
  • em2008em2008 Posts: 7 New Member
    If anyone is still playing showtime, please add me. I recently went back to 3 also.
  • em2008em2008 Posts: 7 New Member
    > @em2008 said:
    > If anyone is still playing showtime, please add me. I recently went back to 3 also.

https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/em2008
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    @Karritz Ahh thanks I didn't know there was a workshop too in TSR. Thank you. :) Hope there will be a good solution for you. I like only downloading other creators' items. haha..
  • Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    I just came back. I do love my sims in 4, but nothing can beat the absolute immersion of Sims 3. I had taken my sims to honeymoon in Les Champs Sims (sp?) and lost myself for hours :lol: There are a few things I miss that Sims 4 brought to the table, but I have so many mods I sometimes wonder if it's the actual game or the mods I miss. I have no such questions for Sims 3, yes I have a fair amount of mods and cc, but I could definitely play it without them.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited October 2020
    em2008 wrote: »
    > @em2008 said:
    > If anyone is still playing showtime, please add me. I recently went back to 3 also.

https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/em2008

I sent you the request. My singer sim is still having the performance out of my control but I can take your show time sim in my game. :)

Jeansoo wrote: »
    @Karritz Ahh thanks I didn't know there was a workshop too in TSR. Thank you. :) Hope there will be a good solution for you. I like only downloading other creators' items. haha..

My solution is to make videos instead. I enjoy cc made by others.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I just came back. I do love my sims in 4, but nothing can beat the absolute immersion of Sims 3. I had taken my sims to honeymoon in Les Champs Sims (sp?) and lost myself for hours :lol: There are a few things I miss that Sims 4 brought to the table, but I have so many mods I sometimes wonder if it's the actual game or the mods I miss. I have no such questions for Sims 3, yes I have a fair amount of mods and cc, but I could definitely play it without them.

One thing I miss from TS4 when playing TS3 is how expressive the sims are. TS3 definitively is more fun to play though.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    TS3 sims are not over-the-top goofy expressive but their subtle expressions are more real to me than what I have seen of TS4 sims. I have never played it but I have heard of YouTube ;)
  • FRENE7ICFRENE7IC Posts: 38 Member
    I think a texture and lighting overhaul as seen below, could be all that’s needed to keep this release fresh for years to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2E9luFtm1Y
  • ZinomanZinoman Posts: 14 New Member
    I haven't been able to play my sims 3 in a few years because my laptop was getting so old, but now I finally bought a new and good gaming pc and the sims 3 runs like a dream ;__; okay, so I haven't actually really played it yet, I just tested some mods I never had, and checked the cas and some worlds, but the game loads faster than my sims4 on ps4, even with almost all the expansions installed. If the gaming experience is anywhere near as smooth as loading up the game, I'm gonna have some good simming hours ahead of me.... <3
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    I now remember what fun family play is... Sims 4 really doesn't have family play. The depth of Sims 3 family play is awesome and now I am happy to play family play again. I still can not get over how much fun the pets are in Sims 3. Watching a cat fight a turtle..XD! And matching furniture, adding flavor to clothes because you have patterns and color wheels. And the magic of NRass mods. And... CARS!!!

I still have issues with PI and on dialysis I am a bit lazy to find a fixed world of it. But I am on a new couple saving to have their first child.. so, it can wait. Sometimes new and shiney... doesn't mean better.
    edited October 2020

My problem was I couldn't get it to run at all. I wondered if I'd downloaded a version for a different operating system or something. In the end I just abandoned it as being too hard. I did have the tutorial and I couldn't find any way of doing what the tutorials were telling me to do.

The thing is that the set up is rather complicated. What it will do if it is installed properly is ask you where the gamepaths are to your base game and to your EPs and SPs. This is so that the program can access all the items in the game.

https://www.srslysims.net/2018/04/setup-tsr-workshop-for-first-time-use.html

@Karritz, when you ran your TSRW...did it open up to this window?
    TSRW_openingwindow.png
    Because from here, you have to map your game-paths by going to Edit>Preferences
    TSRW_editpreferences.png
    From here you select Folders...this will take you to this screen....
    TSRW_gamefolderspath.png
    This is where you enter in your game paths so that TSR Workshop can read where the object files are.
    TSRW_GamePaths.png
    This is where you find your game-path folders. Note that each is labelled. For example the game path for my base-game would be: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3
    For World Adventures: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\EP01 and so on down the list of EPs and SPs that you have...I don't have all the stuff packs so all my game paths are not filled in.
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    @Nikkei_Simmer thanks. No none of that looks familiar to me. If I'd seen that I probably wouldn't have had a problem. I used to make things like that when I was still working full time as a programmer. I think I downloaded something that was never meant to work. In the end I decided I had better and more interesting things to do with my time so I just abandoned the idea. Thanks for the info though.
  • ChroniclesWitchChroniclesWitch Posts: 7 New Member
    Greetings! I've been playing TS3 for a while and also just decided to try making CC.
    Hope this isn't really necroposting, but I've been trying to look for help to no avail.
    (I can't see the Forum Rules page for some reason either, so I'd assume necroposting means replying non-relevant stuff >1 year.) Sorry!

I did do this, but there was one more thing on my preferences screen (referring to image 3);
    A part that says "Global Folders".

I have tried filling the Global Folders with the same link as base game (C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3),
    filling it with a different folder as according to some tutorials (C:\Users\User\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3),
    and even leaving it blank.

Yet still, I can't get the item thumbnails and such to load so I can start.

> @Nikkei_Simmer said:
    > The thing is that the set up is rather complicated. What it will do if it is installed properly is ask you where the gamepaths are to yC:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3our base game and to your EPs and SPs. This is so that the program can access all the items in the game.
    >
    > https://www.srslysims.net/2018/04/setup-tsr-workshop-for-first-time-use.html
    >
    > @Karritz, when you ran your TSRW...did it open up to this window?
    >
    >
    > Because from here, you have to map your game-paths by going to Edit>Preferences
    >
    > From here you select Folders...this will take you to this screen....
    >
    >
    > This is where you enter in your game paths so that TSR Workshop can read where the object files are.
    >
    > This is where you find your game-path folders. Note that each is labelled. For example the game path for my base-game would be: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3
    > For World Adventures: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\EP01 and so on down the list of EPs and SPs that you have...I don't have all the stuff packs so all my game paths are not filled in.
  • ChroniclesWitchChroniclesWitch Posts: 7 New Member
    > @lisasc360 said:
    > never mind

Uh, sorry? I don't think I understood what you meant.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Same here! I was really into 4 for a while but this year I've got back in 3 in a big way and I've been having a lot of fun with it. 4 was fun for a while but I feel like I have to constantly be buying new things for that game or I get bored, and even then when I get new stuff I get bored of it within a few weeks and what they've been adding in the past year has just been so stale so I really struggle to stay interested. There hasn't been a single good pack since 2019 tbh. Meanwhile Sims 3 I can still get a lot of fun from packs I bought literally 8 years ago...

Currently I've been playing in Sunlit Tides aka my favorite sims world ever with my sim who's an architect and I love it! Plus there's so many other things I want to do with my game as well that I'm excited to play with again in this game so I think I'll be sticking with 3 for a while :)
    @Onverser, Good to see you back and having fun with it. :) :thumbsup:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I tend to play in cycles. I may rotate between Sims 2, 3, and 4. I stick with one of them (on occasion two) until I become tired of it. I may play games that are outside of the series such as Cities Skylines and Rollercoaster Tycoon. Sims 3 has a special charm to it that always makes me want to come back.

I'm currently playing TS3 in Sunset Valley using my 'classic' family (meaning my family from 2011 when we were younger). I had kept the game to represent my family in its current age, but it was time for a change. It's pretty neat.
  • BlueberrySunsetBlueberrySunset Posts: 23 Member
    Been playing ts3 since 2009 it’s def my favorite 😍
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I only recently came back after almost half a year hiatus since early 2021 due to RL stuff, been playing TS3 mostly at night after playing another game or on a rainy day. I feel like it has plenty of things that keep me occupied and more immersed with my sims as they don't act perpetually goofy with over exaggerated animation.
    ihavemultiplegamertags