Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there any way to turn off alien abductions?

13...Next

Comments

• MissSweetVioletMissSweetViolet Posts: 50 Member
    > @Pamtastic72 said:
    > There is a satellite dish 📡 that you can set every 24 in game hours to prevent them.
    > You can keep your sim out of the science 🧪 career, or at least skip the daily task to make contact with aliens.
    > Do not buy or place the Out OfThis World desktop computer 🖥.
    > Do not attend alien 👽 night at the bar (Tuesdays).
    > Do not go through the wormhole generator 🌌.
    > Do not fly the rocket 🚀 ship to Sixam.
    > I have saves that are a couple of years old and my sims have never once been abducted. In the saves where my sims have been abducted I really had to try for it and since I bought Get To Work in 2015 or 16, I have had 3, and of those only 1 of those ended up with a male being impregnated. Now, I can’t say what some mods may do. I have MC Command Center installed but not the occult module that would let me adjust things like alien abductions so my games are vanilla as far as alien activity goes. But with MCCC and the occult module I know you can basically shut them off entirely. It’s a good mod, and yes it’s big, but you can choose to only install the main package and script files that make the mod work and then just the occult module to shut off alien abductions.

I'm aware of the satellite dish, to me that's not a good enough option.
    None of my sims were in that career, had that computer, attended the bar, wormhole hole, or rocket, and this still happens.

It happens to me a lot. I don't like doing mods in my playing, I won't do mods just to blot out a feature that should not be forced in the first place.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I have to admit that I really enjoy the alien abductions for some reason. I’m always disappointed when my Sim doesn’t get pregnant. But I feel bad for those who don’t want non-consentual pregnancies in their game.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,570 Member
    I don't think you can be helped out then. The chances of EA adding a toggle for it are very low and if you're so strongly against using a mod against it happening - even though that mod will never break the way it is designed so you can just forget about it after putting it in your downloads folder - you will have to live with it as it is in Vanilla game.
    There have been so many petitions for adding toggles for various things and EA still didn't add them. It's only recently we are getting some more toggles for new features that are added, but I never saw them adding a toggle for an already existing feature.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
    I'm beginning to contemplate going to media then, if people can get it's cold outside taken off radios. I should surely be able to get a toggle switch or a pop up choice option.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    ask the american government
    I'll contact every news outlet I know, and start my own petition if I have to. This is serious, it's about the mental health of players who also happen to be assault victims. I will not be letting it go, if they think they got backlash over the shrines in snowy escape, just wait.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    Here's how to stop abductions without mods:

When your sim goes outside to "investigate strange light", pause the game.
    Open the cheat console, type testingcheats on, hit enter
    Now shift-click on your sim, look for "reset sim" or "reset object", select this option and the abduction will not happen.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I'll contact every news outlet I know, and start my own petition if I have to. This is serious, it's about the mental health of players who also happen to be assault victims. I will not be letting it go, if they think they got backlash over the shrines in snowy escape, just wait.

Given the really important PTSD context, I highly recommend contacting a SimGuru on Twitter to initiate a conversation about this, ask them who best to talk to about it. If you have personal experience, all the better. It's been a game feature since 2015, but later than that they started to take a more serious interest in equity issues and might well be more interested in a toggle addition now than they were. Do point out, if you contact them about this, that adding a mod is not an option for Console players.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited July 2021
    @MissSweetViolet My sim, an Elder and a celebrity writer, is not in the science or astronaut career and he was abducted 3 times and impregnated twice. He hates children and enjoyed being abducted. Made a killing off the books he wrote about his experience. So, sometimes the game just randomly abducts folks.

I have another male sim that I was planning to make a hobo that just lives off the land when the game just abducted him and impregnated him. #GoFigure🤷🏻‍♀️ I just roll with it, but is jarring when it wasn't what you intended.

My first male sim that was abducted was an astronaut. It was when I first started playing TS4 winter 2019. I was shocked and excited. So Malcolm Landgraab (I changed him, made him good & biracial) became the father to an alien daughter.

I've had females abducted too, they are in the science career. When Dahlia Snooboo was abducted she came back started a rocket club and impregnated male sims. Bob Pancakes and Jako's wives just rolled with it and accepted the babies.

Also I would be very upset it they removed abductions from the game, it is one of the reasons why I purchased GTW. If it upsets you that much disable the EP.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
    > @EnkiSchmidt said:
    > Here's how to stop abductions without mods:
    >
    > When your sim goes outside to "investigate strange light", pause the game.
    > Open the cheat console, type testingcheats on, hit enter
    > Now shift-click on your sim, look for "reset sim" or "reset object", select this option and the abduction will not happen.

All well and good if your a player who wishes to cheat, but what about those that don't? I don't feel they should be forced to just to avoid something that given the protentional sensitivity of the topic should not be forced in to.

> @luthienrising said:
    > Given the really important PTSD context, I highly recommend contacting a SimGuru on Twitter to initiate a conversation about this, ask them who best to talk to about it. If you have personal experience, all the better. It's been a game feature since 2015, but later than that they started to take a more serious interest in equity issues and might well be more interested in a toggle addition now than they were. Do point out, if you contact them about this, that adding a mod is not an option for Console players.

I'll look into that, as I'm really not here to start a war with EA. I love the sims games, I just don't think it's fair that such an important topic is so easily glossed over when the fix is so simple. To just ether add a toggle or a pop up, something like "sims name sees some strange lights, should they investigate?" Making it optional might even allow them to un nurf it (not that I've noticed it being nurfed in my games), so those who do like it can have happen more often.
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    edited July 2021
    troshalom wrote: »

Also I would be very upset it they removed abductions from the game, it is one of the reasons why I purchased GTW.

Same. A toggle is the best solution for everyone's enjoyment of the game.

> @troshalom said:
    > @MissSweetViolet My sim, an Elder and a celebrity writer, is not in the science or astronaut career and he was abducted 3 times and impregnated twice. He hates children and enjoyed being abducted. Made a killing off the books he wrote about his experience. So, sometimes the game just randomly abducts folks.
    >
    > I have another male sim that I was planning to make a hobo that just lives off the land when the game just abducted him and impregnated him. #GoFigure🤷🏻‍♀️ I just roll with it, but is jarring when it wasn't what you intended.
    >
    > My first male sim that was abducted was an astronaut. It was when I first started playing TS4 winter 2019. I was shocked and excited. So Malcolm Landgraab (I changed him, made him good & biracial) became the father to an alien daughter.
    >
    > I've had females abducted too, they are in the science career. When Dahlia Snooboo was abducted she came back started a rocket club and impregnated male sims. Bob Pancakes and Jako's wives just rolled with it and accepted the babies.
    >
    > Also I would be very upset it they removed abductions from the game, it is one of the reasons why I purchased GTW. If it upsets you that much disable the EP.

I'm not in the slightest suggesting they remove anything, only that they come up with a way to disable it for those who don't want it/are sensitive to it.

> @CaprianaB said:
    > Same. A toggle is the best solution for everyone's enjoyment of the game.

Agreed, or something like it. I've thought of three solutions so far. 1: Toggle. 2: A pop of of some kind. 3: ether redoing the existing item, so you don't have to unlock it, or reactivate every 24 hours, or more ideally, they could just make a new item who's sole job is repealing alien abductions. (So the unlockable could stay an unlockable) Something like a speaker like item maybe, that would be easy to hide in designs, and not needing to be unlocked, then a player would only need to grab it and place it. Maybe it could be something that you select/deselect "prevent abductions" or something like that, it would be on till you turn it off, and the sims couldn't just change it. (Kind of like locking/unlocking doors). Then if you wanted abductions, you just would not get the item, or disable it if you had.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I like my aliens and there abduction the way they are this thread shouldn't haven't been bought up at all
    because its from 2019 and its against the rules and also you saying you want to go to the media instead of just leaving feed back makes me think your just attention seeking
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    > @comicsforlife said:
    > I like my aliens and there abduction the way they are this thread shouldn't haven't been bought up at all
    > because its from 2019 and its against the rules and also you saying you want to go to the media instead of just leaving feed back makes me think your just attention seeking

Easy for you to say if you have never been an assault survivor or known one. These kinds of things can be real triggers and bring up painful memories, you want to support leaving it as it is now with no why to control it so a player who has been victims can have those memories just brought back to the surface?

Also, I didn't know the thread was from 2019 when I first started posting, I was searching the topic and it took me to one of the last pages, where the posting was more recent, I noticed after, but since people were discussing, I wanted to give my opinion. Your also now doing to by posting just now, so what's your excuse?

Third it's not attention seeking, it's called being appalled by something that quite honestly EA should have be more compassionate over. As someone who knew someone who was assaulted, I know very well what this kind of thing can do. I'm also not asking them to remove anything, but simply just asking for a way to disable it for those who might be affected by it.
    > @comicsforlife said:
    > I like my aliens and there abduction the way they are this thread shouldn't haven't been bought up at all
    > because its from 2019 and its against the rules and also you saying you want to go to the media instead of just leaving feed back makes me think your just attention seeking

Easy for you to say if you have never been an assault survivor or known one. These kinds of things can be real triggers and bring up painful memories, you want to support leaving it as it is now with no why to control it so a player who has been victims can have those memories just brought back to the surface?

Also, I didn't know the thread was from 2019 when I first started posting, I was searching the topic and it took me to one of the last pages, where the posting was more recent, I noticed after, but since people were discussing, I wanted to give my opinion. Your also now doing to by posting just now, so what's your excuse?

Third it's not attention seeking, it's called being appalled by something that quite honestly EA should have be more compassionate over. As someone who knew someone who was assaulted, I know very well what this kind of thing can do. I'm also not asking them to remove anything, but simply just asking for a way to disable it for those who might be affected by it.

according to you your not an assault survivor and you don't know who I know or what I've been though
    I've always said I'm okay with toggles and I mean that and I'm not going to say anything more on this thread
    I shouldn't have given you any attention at all
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    > @EnkiSchmidt said:
    > Here's how to stop abductions without mods:
    >
    > When your sim goes outside to "investigate strange light", pause the game.
    > Open the cheat console, type testingcheats on, hit enter
    > Now shift-click on your sim, look for "reset sim" or "reset object", select this option and the abduction will not happen.

All well and good if your a player who wishes to cheat, but what about those that don't? I don't feel they should be forced to just to avoid something that given the protentional sensitivity of the topic should not be forced in to.

I didn't mean to belittle your issue, but offer you a way to continue to play Sims 4 until (if ever) this problem is addressed by the developers. There used to be a thread about this before, where I already spoke up in favour of toggles, because I'm very torn about this feature.
    > @EnkiSchmidt said:
    > I didn't mean to belittle your issue, but offer you a way to continue to play Sims 4 until (if ever) this problem is addressed by the developers. There used to be a thread about this before, where I already spoke up in favor of toggles, because I'm very torn about this feature.

I understand. Currently what I do is lock the doors and only let one of my sims outside to do something during the day. I really wish they would address it, it's such an important topic, to important to just ignore in my opinion. I do feel a toggle is the fairest idea. it would let those who like play as normal, and those who don't to avoid that part. I still don't quite understand why it wasn't there in the first place. Especially since I think they did add it at one point to sims 3 because of that. But I don't own any EP on sims 3 but pets, so not 100% sure.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,958 Member
    KatAnubis wrote: »
    My main Sim, fortunately a woman, has now been abducted 3 times. I'm rather tired of it as it interferes with her getting things done (such as working on her aspirations.) Is there any way to turn it off? (And I'm not adverse to using a mod to do it, but I haven't found one of those either!)

I'm not a fan of "supernatural" things like aliens or vampires. I'm very glad that for TS4 they made it a separate download so I don't have to have vampires. And I liked it in TS3 that they made it so that you could turn off the ones you didn't like (but still have the interesting clothing and objects that come with such packs.)
    That’s a lot of times for the same person. I I think I have had only 3 abductions altogether since get to work came out, all different households. I have a large rotation, and I do play a female scientist who met aliens when she was sent to sixam at work.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Also I would be very upset it they removed abductions from the game, it is one of the reasons why I purchased GTW. If it upsets you that much disable the EP.

I really don't think anyone's looking for anything more than a toggle in Gameplay Options. We have them for other things -- dust and NAPs, for example. It seems a reasonable request to allow some people to turn off a feature as a tool for PTSD management. It's hard enough to manage PTSD as it is (a member of my immediate family has PTSD, so this is something I see a lot of); a key to management, especially early on, is controlled, chosen exposure. Maxis could help with that, without impacting anyone else's gameplay in the least, and while allowing people affected by this one corner of the pack to enjoy playing at the careers and retail ownership.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    I like my aliens and there abduction the way they are this thread shouldn't haven't been bought up at all
    because its from 2019 and its against the rules and also you saying you want to go to the media instead of just leaving feed back makes me think your just attention seeking

As much as I wish people hadn't brought this thread back to life, it has shown that people are still upset about the fact that we *still* have no toggle to turn off something that can be so triggering to people.

However, if you really are upset that something is "against the rules" the way to handle it is to report the thread, not complain that something is "against the rules."
    @MissSweetViolet My sim, an Elder and a celebrity writer, is not in the science or astronaut career and he was abducted 3 times and impregnated twice. He hates children and enjoyed being abducted. Made a killing off the books he wrote about his experience. So, sometimes the game just randomly abducts folks.

I have another male sim that I was planning to make a hobo that just lives off the land when the game just abducted him and impregnated him. #GoFigure🤷🏻‍♀️ I just roll with it, but is jarring when it wasn't what you intended.

My first male sim that was abducted was an astronaut. It was when I first started playing TS4 winter 2019. I was shocked and excited. So Malcolm Landgraab (I changed him, made him good & biracial) became the father to an alien daughter.

I've had females abducted too, they are in the science career. When Dahlia Snooboo was abducted she came back started a rocket club and impregnated male sims. Bob Pancakes and Jako's wives just rolled with it and accepted the babies.

No one is suggesting that they be completely removed. People are asking for a toggle so that they can choose to turn it off.

And it's unreasonable to expect someone to "disable the EP" when there are so many other far more important things in the EP. What's surprising is that you bought it *for* the abductions.
    edited July 2021
    KatAnubis wrote: »

No one is suggesting that they be completely removed. People are asking for a toggle so that they can choose to turn it off.

And it's unreasonable to expect someone to "disable the EP" when there are so many other far more important things in the EP. What's surprising is that you bought it *for* the abductions.

lots of people like the abductions just like they like killing sims and burglars
    if you don't like them thats fine but be nice to other people on here

Given the really important PTSD context, I highly recommend contacting a SimGuru on Twitter to initiate a conversation about this, ask them who best to talk to about it. If you have personal experience, all the better. It's been a game feature since 2015, but later than that they started to take a more serious interest in equity issues and might well be more interested in a toggle addition now than they were. Do point out, if you contact them about this, that adding a mod is not an option for Console players.

I did that several days ago but have heard nothing (even though I sent it to multiple Gurus.) Sigh.
    Same, I tried posting a tweet asking if someone could message me, nothing.