Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you buy The Sims games because they are much cheaper than a physical customizable dollhouse?

Do you buy The Sims games because they are much cheaper than a physical customizable dollhouse? 56 votes

Yes
7%
ncisGibbs02waterywatermelonGlacierSnowImagebear 4 votes
No
42%
Rflong7PlayerSinger2010Isb917Caitxcathaneulsimgirl1010Cinebarzoeman93ChampandGirlieLadyBepsCAPTAIN_NXR7OnverserEnkiSchmidtsimmerLellacalaprfyMonaveilGrumpyGlowfishPeralDianesimsx4m1r4 24 votes
I have my own reasons why I play The Sims, and it's not because it's cheaper.
8%
GalacticGalTheSpotted_CPuddinroySERVERFRAACruelButLovingGod 5 votes
I have my own reasons why I play The Sims, and cost is one of them.
1%
Babykittyjade 1 vote
I can build any house I want, and I can turn on free will.
1%
Oldeseadogge 1 vote
Sims can live and die; Dolls are perpetually lifeless. I would rather play with The Sims.
8%
MagdaleenaGlimmer50texxx78AngeliqueAdelaideDragonmasterleo 5 votes
I used to play with dollhouses and dolls, but they got boring. Now, I play with The Sims.
5%
wormofthebookStrawberryYogurtPurpleHeather 3 votes
The Sims is essentially the adult version of a child's dollhouse, aimed at wider audiences.
7%
icmnfrshBreeSashaSimplyBreaGeralt_ofRivia 4 votes
None of the above
16%
Simburiang01denswanTheGreatGorlonMizzila1297GrandRailSeashoreLivianetney52TARDISgradesimmerorigin 9 votes
Results, please
0%

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    No
    I have played the Sims since I actually had a doll house. It wasn't big; it wasn't super detailed; I never liked proper dolls but loved my animal figurines (only people I used were the Scooby Doo cast because I had a plastic set if them); the barn was my favorite part. So I played the Sims just because it was fun and I liked games. It did not really matter to me that it was a dollhouse equivalent and back then the price didn't really matter either, because I begged my relatives for packs.

As I grew, I just continued to like the games. Even when my dollhouse eventually disappeared one day and I couldn't have another.

I won't lie, though. It is probably odd for someone as old as I am now, but occasionally I will see a dollhouse (and it is rare) that passes this checklist in my head and I cannot help but lament at how much fun I would have had with it once upon a time.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    No
    This is kind of an apple to oranges comparison to me. Yeah, they are both fruits, but they are quite different, in themselves.

I had dollhouses a few times in my childhood, mostly Barbie. My very first dollhouse was quite small; my mother made it from popsicle sticks. That one hung around for a while till it fell apart during a move. While fun, the limitation of a doll house is that you can't rebuild it or add to it. Also, you are mostly stuck in that location, unless you play with cars or whatever on the floor.

When I was older we made up stories as we played; we didn't have any dollhouses then. I had a lot of freedom when I played with dolls because I could say "I'm riding this horse into town and getting attacked by bandits" while playing with a full sized Barbie, her horse, and a half dozen 2 inch tall cowboy figures, or, if one of us didn't have a horse, their character "rode" one of the 2 inch horses. There was no town, of course, we were playing in the grass under a tree. But it was real to us. Likewise, Barbie "drove" in a Hot Wheels sportscar and won races. Heck, my brother used one of the big GI Joes that were Barbie sized in those days, and also a smaller figure from another set. We didn't worry about the fact nothing matched, size wise, or that all of our settings were imaginary. Every now and then we'd have a "monster attack" or "earthquake" because one of our dogs decided to join in and either steal toys or flop down and roll on them. "Dinosaur attacks" were when a chicken walked thru our play area. We had a ton of fun, my brother and I, along with whichever neighborhood kids were hanging around.

The thing about the sims as a dollhouse is I can have as many houses as I want, in whatever style I can devise or download, and I can change them in any way I can devise. I have the fun of building my settings and setting my characters loose in them. I can make my Sim look close to whatever image I have in my head, which is great. Sometimes they do things I don't expect, and mess up my plans so I have to adapt. It's a different kind of play, but it is also closely related. In the past I played with a group, now I play solo. It's still fun.

I love the Sims.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    No
    This is like asking if someone plays a sports simulation because it is easier than joining a children's sporting league. I make this comparison because children play with dolls. It's a game and you can play it with whatever sims you want with various settings, choices of play and themes.

I just don't see the point in analyzing why someone plays it unless you do the same for all other gaming and forms of entertainment? I would say that it is a creative outlet for the players including mostly adults. I honestly think that they should probably separate out a children's version in a different mode if that is what they are wanting. Most adults today grew up with games. I know many who play various games.

Is someone who is playing an avatar or character in another game playing with a doll? In my case, I tend to play with my own sandbox world. Others do various things. Generally different styles are great. I only react like this because I think these types of questions criticize the players and in particular do so about things that really shouldn't be criticized. Even if someone is wanting to play with dolls, so what? There's a lot of developmental difference between kids and adults though so I would say that no, an adult is not playing with dolls just because they are playing a simulation.

If you think about it as well, dolls don't have any needs management so even doing that is not really playing with a doll. My comments have less to do with the game itself and more to do with defending players who just want to do what they want which is mostly to be creative or entertained.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    No
    The answer is a profound YES.

For me, playing The Sims is much cheaper than having a customizable dollhouse.

I once bought this huge customizable dollhouse which kinda stands on the side of the road. It’s got a driveway with a really cool toy car parked on it and a patch of grass growing out front. Sometimes I have to take my lawnmower play-set and cut the grass. The grass is very realistic.

My doll house also has functioning lights inside and a little shower that actually works! If you turn a knob water comes out.
    And oh I can use the toy kitchen too. It let’s me cook food which is pretty amazing.

My dollhouse also came with a letter box and sometimes the mail man slips the post through there. He’s such a kind man, he makes this play pretend feel so real. Some of the letters are called “bills” and they basically tell me that I have to pay money playing with my big doll house. Sometimes it’s a lot depending on how often I use the lights and the toy kitchen and the little shower with the knob.

Playing with my big doll house is so much more expensive than playing with the sims. That’s why I play The Sims instead.
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    None of the above
    I was never big on dolls, so that definitely is not a factor into why I starting playing sims :D

I really like all the customization, the fact it's a game that you can play through generation after generation, and the fact it's a game I can fully customize in nearly every way imaginable. I'm into digital art and programming, so this game is not only fun and enjoyable for me, it's also a great outlet for creativity and a perfect way to learn more in the field I'm looking into.

All in all, I love the Sims series :smiley:
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,027 Member
    None of the above
    No. I buy The Sims because:

1. I like makeup artistry and people would be offended if I just went up to them and put makeup on them.

2. I like fashion designing and people would think I’m a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if I just went up to them and removed their clothes so I can dress them in other clothes.

3. I like interior designing and it is illegal to just go into someone’s home to get rid of their walls and furniture so I can redesign their home to my liking.

I have very good reasons for buying The Sims.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    No
    I'm a 49-y-o bloke who could probably pass as a poor man's Hell's Angel. Never owned a dollhouse!
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    No
    Well my Sims do not stay at home much they are persuing some goal that is not family related
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yes
    Yes. I love building and furnishing the house. Then seeing the Sims use it. 😊

I think it would far more expensive to create a neighbourhood of dollhouses! 🏦.
    Post edited by ncisGibbs02 on
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    No
    The Sims is not the upgrade to dollhouse play. Dollhouse play offers full control and would lead into the writing hobby. To the contrary in The Sims the computer decides whether my sim succeeds based on the sim's skills, there are chance cards and, with Seasons, weather that present additional challenges. Therefore The Sims is much closer related to tabletop rpg'ing than writing/make believe play and this is indeed the reason why I play this game. Sometimes you don't get a group together or don't feel like playing with others. That's where the sims come in, allowing me to be the players and the GM in one.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I have my own reasons why I play The Sims, and cost is one of them.
    I play because it's a dollhouse with endless customizations and overall it's just enjoyable. I have 3 physical dollhouses I remodeled and I still play with them with tons of figma. Love them equally ❤ no prices involved or real reasons why
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    None of the above
    No space so just a substitute. If I had the space I would love to have my own collection of real dolls' houses. We had a shop locally that had hundreds of tiny objects to use in them and I used to love looking in the windows as a little girl. My dad had nearly finished my own dollhouse build when he had a heart attack so it was never finished.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited July 2021
    None of the above
    I’ve never once viewed the sims as a dollhouse this forum is the first place I’ve heard it been referred to playing like one. It isn’t dolls houses are 1 house and dolls which are nothing like sims. I’ve played the game since sims 1 with the only version I have not played being sims 2 and not once has it ever been the same as my dollshouse I own.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    My reasons is because it's one of the few decent PC games out there. I'm not into high violent/🐸🐸🐸🐸/gore games.
    Also, my daughter introduced me to Sims 3 when she discovered it in EB GameStop.
    Another reason is that it's so not a dollhouse; I used to play with my 14 Barbies, two Kens, Luke & Leia dolls with a Barbie Moterhome & Jeep; the dolls couldn't ever turn into any occults, grow Cowplants, have babies, turn into ghosts, etc, etc...
    And, it's impossible to turn any plastic doll homes in green/industrial/farming/haunting.
    Basically, Sims 4 isn't the same as playing with dolls. It's so apples & oranges.
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    None of the above
    Funny enough I was never into dolls when I was a child (I enjoyed playing with plastic animals/dinosaurs and computer games - on a Commodore 128 first, then on a PC).

But I've been passionate about 1/12 historically accurate dolls' houses and miniature dioramas for the past 25 years or so. I got hooked on the Sims (with TS2 and TS3) in the mid-00s, then took a long hiatus and I've started playing TS4 earlier this year.

For me there is very little overlapping between the two hobbies, although sometimes they might have some superficial elements in common (as in a certain cottagecore aesthetics). But to me dolls' house making is about creating a unique and precious piece of artisanal artwork. The fun and engagement derives from the painstaking labour behind its making (including all its components/details/accessories), but once complete it is a static piece of art that is there to be appreciated for its value, historical insight, and beauty. Definitely not to be played with!
    What makes it a stimulating, engaging hobby is the amount of research for historical accuracy and about the different materials and techniques to employ, as well as the hunt for suitable accessories and decorations to complete it. Some of these things I craft myself, other elements come from other artisans. One of the most fun parts it to look for suitable miniatures to add to a project in antique shops and when travelling around the world. Each piece has a story and the final result is invaluable.

By contrast, playing the Sims for me has more to do with experimenting with the tools of the game in a "what if...?" sort of approach. I use the Sims 50% as a sandbox (to create characters or lots with special features that will make gameplay more interesting) and 50% to create stories. In the latter I find a fun way to unwind and relax (I don't care much about tv/movies/literature, I've always had more fun coming up with my own stories). The former allows me to create content I can share with others, I find great delight in creating content that others can use to enrich their gameplay with or to bypass some otherwise boring tasks.

Surprisingly (or unsurprisingly, really) I am generally a very lazy builder on TheSims, and if I want a super fancy house I'd rather download one already made by others that make one from scratch. The patience and dedication I have when building dolls' houses in real life is non-existent when I play the Sims. :D
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    No
    I don't play with dollhouse. I play video games. The Sims is one of the games that I play.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I never played with dollhouses as a kid, mostly because I never would've heard the end of it from my extended family or the other boys in my neighborhood! Growing up in the 1980s in a working-class Boston suburb, boys played sports and girls played with dolls and that was that. (I mean, we had, like, He-Man and GI Joe but we didn't play dolls with them, we mostly built the playsets and posed them in manly-man action figure poses...anyway, I digress...)

I got into Sims 2 in 2004 at the insistence of my then-girlfriend—a decision she later regretted when she saw what my horribly twisted imagination did to those poor sims I decided were unworthy of kindness. (17 years later and the girl's long gone but when it comes to The Sims, some things never change!)
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    Yes
    Pretty much. Plus it doesn't take up as much space in my house as real dollhouses would. And I don't have to explain to visitors why I have so many dollhouses... :lol:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited July 2021
    None of the above
    You get too old to play with dolls, except if you are into Voodoo, but you are never too old to play God!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I am a story-teller at heart. I played with Barbie dolls and used them to tell stories. But, the Sims offers so much more. They manage to help make a story come to life. I can build houses for them and make a character I create 3-D. And nobody can scold me for leaving the physical doll house on the floor for too long. It's all encapsulated in the game. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/