Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Outside Perspectives on Problems with the Sims Games

I always find it very interesting to hear perspectives about problems with the Sims franchise from sources that consider themselves outside the community and the players. Usually when I see discussions about the games, like here on the forums, it is people very close to the issues who are quite nuanced with the details. However, sometimes these same issues are brought up by larger audiences in games media and sometimes random people in general.

From what I understand, the consensus seems to view the Sims as a very predatory game (due to its large quantities of DLC and their pricing) targeted at young women and casual players in particular. As well as a full fledged live service future being inevitable, something I find rather uncomfortable just because of how much I do not want it to happen.

Obviously those closer to the pulse will know the issues the best, but sometimes we can be bogged down in the details which is why I like thinking about these broader opinions even if they make me somewhat uncomfortable. Some of them do not seem all that different than ones echoed here in the forums.

So what are your experiences with such outside perspectives? What are they? Do you agree with them? Disagree with them? Find nothing to gain from them?

Sometimes the Sims feels very isolated from other games that I play and sometimes it doesn't, so it makes me curious what others experience in this regard.

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited July 2021
    I'm getting that impression too.

I play and watch other games on twitch and follow a fair bit of gaming news on twitter... the general impression I'm getting that people feel about the sims is no different from how people view EA in general. And that is that they are focused on making money. They are often referencing other games from EA and how expensive they are. It's not uncommon when sims is shown people write "cash grab" or "hundreds of DLC". They also like to reference the old sims games because they probably played them or watched people play them on Youtube.

A lot people also wonder when the sims5 will be released and lot of gaming news accounts that I follow don't mention the sims, ever. It's old news.

I like to tweet about games but I have a hard time tweeting about the sims because it feels like they are living in their own bubble, it doesn't feel like there are many other simmers that tweet and play other games, which I don't think it's true, they just don't tweet much about them.

I think it would be easier if the sims twitter and other people from the community was not so much excited over everything but instead talked about the sims for what it is and don't say "this is the best pack ever" just because they see a bunny in a dress.

Unfortunately there are no people like that left, except maybe Carl from the Carl's Sims Guides, and maybe also James Turner. LGR doesn't really do much sims anymore.

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I just look at Sims 4 as I do my periodicals' subscriptions. They come out at intervals and probably the periodicals' subscriptions cost far more than Sims 4 expansions.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2021
    What I have noticed over the years is the fact The Sims (back in 2000) used to be mainstream. It was a joke on sitcoms if the character had gotten his/her face into the Sim game. It was often talked about on talk shows, laughing and dreading if they too would get their face in the Sims. Most young adults knew what The Sims was and what type of game. Maybe because there were TV ads, often. It was a big deal to get your face in The Sims.

Today, The Sims games are considered a niche market for teenage girls to play dress up and do a few mean girl actions. (The ads a few years ago)

In the last few years chatter among those not on Twitter and or Reddit etc, is it's the LBGTQ game. Almost exclusively. I really don't want that statement to offend anyone, but it is what people say when someone mentions The Sims 4.

Among professionals like doctors and lawyers etc. not many people are going to tell them they play The Sims anymore. It's no longer considered a creative outlet or a healthy hobby in smaller circles of professionals. It's not something people put on their resume as a hobby.

It is also considered very childish, unlike WOW or something where many professionals and older people play for the competition aspects in their spare time or other type hard hitting games full of teams and rivals. Those games though played by all ages are full of middle aged men and not ashamed of their gaming prowess.

The Sims series has become very select in what type of vibe it gives and it's no longer as much mainstream as before because though it strives to be 'inclusive' and diverse it is very much considered a game for one community and not for all.

ETA: If one googles character creation etc. or skins or whatever, they usually are directed to IMVU...something I see happening to The Sims series more and more. It's no longer a game about life but identity and perfect skin and features.
    That is what I hear.

Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I feel it’s not as well known. I don’t know why. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I bought Sims 2 in 2007, I used to tell people I played it and most people knew what I was talking about or I play that too.

Sims 4 I have to explain and there’s few people who I know play it.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited July 2021

I bought Sims 2 in 2007, I used to tell people I played it and most people knew what I was talking about or I play that too.

I think that's because you never see Sims games on game stores shelves anymore. I remember large posters and shelves full of Sims 1, 2 and 3 in my high street stores but the Base game for the latest was so dire that people read the reports and didn't even start playing it. I also think a great many people stopped buying after completing Sims 2. I've met many people who've done that.

• Justa_G00fJusta_G00f Posts: 1,075 Member
    I can only imagine how many more people would play if they fixed the glitches. I love the Sims but it seriously makes me want to break stuff, sometimes. Unfortunately, I've found that to be true about quite a few games lately. I remember EA not giving a hoot whether or not their games worked 25 years ago, let alone today where money traps are disguised as games.

I think we need to bring back Spin the Bottle, it's cheaper. :P
    How your Sims builds show your meds' effectiveness

ntq84Hk.jpg
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    I never heard of the original SimCity back in 1989 or Sims 1 & 2 back in the early 2000s. However, I've heard & played Sims 3 back in 2011 when my daughter discovered it in EB GameStop store. I remember that Sims 3 didn't cater to certain particular lifestyle choice organizations. There wasn't any one organization or lifestyle only in Sims 3.
    Sims 4 caters to only free love, LBGTQ, green peace & animal zealots. While leaving out cultural faiths/beliefs, one-couple only love & celebates. I call that prejudice. We as a human race are all different with different lifestyles, beliefs, non-beliefs & so forth. It should never be dictated to a particular types only. Whatever happened to free-will & human rights? It's very sad that in this day & age there's still prejudice. :'(
    Simburian wrote: »

I think that's because you never see Sims games on game stores shelves anymore. I remember large posters and shelves full of Sims 1, 2 and 3 in my high street stores but the Base game for the latest was so dire that people read the reports and didn't even start playing it. I also think a great many people stopped buying after completing Sims 2. I've met many people who've done that.
    Yes I really miss going into stores to look at Sims packs 😭. I would always try and leave work early when new packs I wanted came out. I’d rush home to play them.

Buying online doesn’t give the same buzz.

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I think these criticisms that compare it to most of the other games are a bit unfair. How many versions of Call Of Duty are there out there? How many racing games or shooter games or different versions of the same game? Do people judge? Maybe some but the players ignore them.

I would like to not stigmatize it as "just a dollhouse game". People play what they want to play and have fun. If anything on here and in experience I've learned that it's not all about stereotypes. I get the comments about all of the expansions but they're all choices and there are various sales. Additionally, there are a lot of games out there that are very much about "pay to play".

Comments to improve the game or fit different playstyles are cool but criticizing the game concept as a whole is silly. I could do that about a lot of games out there but I won't.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Honestly how it's set up now with a lot of packs and dlc makes sense because it's a life sim and other games there is not much need for dlc and etc. But for a life simulator, there's many aspects of life and many themes and features that they can put in dlc and I don't mind buying all of them. They are expensive added up but it's just another form of entertainment and I spend a lot of time playing and don't pay for any other type of entertainment. I think compared to other games it looks like a lot of dlc but of course a fps or non simulation game would look different. And even a game like cities skylines don't have as much dlc because it's not as focused as sims is. So sims has so much more potential for dlc and in depth gameplay.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr

Idk but I never knew the sims existed until about 2017. Which is unfortunate because it was a game I always wanted but I thought no one thought to make a game like it lol. And I never seen sims advertisements, not even on YouTube.
    edited July 2021
    I think these criticisms that compare it to most of the other games are a bit unfair. How many versions of Call Of Duty are there out there? How many racing games or shooter games or different versions of the same game? Do people judge? Maybe some but the players ignore them.

I would like to not stigmatize it as "just a dollhouse game". People play what they want to play and have fun. If anything on here and in experience I've learned that it's not all about stereotypes. I get the comments about all of the expansions but they're all choices and there are various sales. Additionally, there are a lot of games out there that are very much about "pay to play".

Comments to improve the game or fit different playstyles are cool but criticizing the game concept as a whole is silly. I could do that about a lot of games out there but I won't.

I compare other games.
    I’ve played Call of Duty once or twice but never got into it like some.

The PC games I played constantly, that had more than one series were Sims, Star Trek and Harry Potter.

Star Trek Armada had two games. Star Trek Armada 2 had a less engaging storyline and the cut scenes were odd. 1 had the lore whereas 2 had the graphics, longer missions and more ships.

Harry Potter games. I played HP3 and HP4. 3 was brilliant, I still play that occasionally. HP3 you could do the missions but also choose to explore the grounds.
    HP4 although was more smoother it was the worst. I gave HP4 away in the end. There was a section you had to go along a castle embattlemet zapping weird pumpkin dudes which still annoys me to this day. 😫😩😫😩😫😩😫.

I do compare because each versions has positive and negative things. That’s how I know if I like something or not. The concept matters to me as it’s the core of what I’m playing and spending money on.

kaiwrysims wrote: »

Idk but I never knew the sims existed until about 2017. Which is unfortunate because it was a game I always wanted but I thought no one thought to make a game like it lol. And I never seen sims advertisements, not even on YouTube.

You’re right I never saw advertisements either. Fortunately I signed up for newsletters and bookmarked websites.
    Although the day I got my Sims 4 disc in 2014 and installed it, I thought there was an error. No swimming pool tools!
    Then I read the book that came with it and there wasn’t any swimming pools. 🤦🏼‍♂️😭.
    Thankfully they patched them in a few months later.

You’re right I never saw advertisements either. Fortunately I signed up for newsletters and bookmarked websites.
    Although the day I got my Sims 4 disc in 2014 and installed it, I thought there was an error. No swimming pool tools!
    Then I read the book that came with it and there wasn’t any swimming pools. 🤦🏼‍♂️😭.
    Thankfully they patched them in a few months later.

Yeah the launch version of sims 4 seemed to be so much different from how it is now. I hope sims 5 gets a better launch.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    My fiance believes the game has far too many DLC's. He doesn't play the game so he isn't familiar with some of the more internal problems the game has.

He also thinks the Sims needs direct competition. Which I agree with. In the genres he plays he has several different options for games. Life simulators are slim pickins. We have some in the works but as of now nothing really competes with the Sims.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yesterday I did a little search using different search engines just to see what would pop up. Guess what didn't pop up anymore as a top Life Simulator game? TS4. I searched the phrase life simulator. I got stuff like the top 20 games like The Sims to play but no TS4. I was lead to other links about so called life simulators (console/phone games) but no The Sims 4. TS4 was no where to be found in the search engines I used to test my theory. Guess what else happened, I searched character creation and no, TS4 didn't pop up there, either.

I guess TS4 isn't a life simulator since games like Stardew Valley was in the list.. and or any other type game or even pc game doesn't mention TS4 when searching..but will list TS3. ...lol. Maxis has a lot of work to do, if they want people to believe it's a life simulator and not a DLC game for hire. Especially when it doesn't even pop up as a pc life simulator game anymore, but TS3 will.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,811 Member
    This is what I searched for.

WW7VxK9.png
    edited July 2021
    This is what I searched for.

WW7VxK9.png

I got similar results. I typed ‘life simulation pc games’.

There was a few I hadn’t heard of:
    Simsville.
    Sim Life.
    Two Point Hospital.
    My Time at Portia.

I also understand why people are mentioning Stardew Valley to Cottage Living so it was good to have a look.

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I figured I should share my most recent experience. It was a stream, technically, but podcast style where two people spoke about whatever they pleased but still tried to dance around one topic in particular. The subject of the Sims, the Sims 4 in particular came up.

One is surprised to learn just how large the Sims community is around Sims 4. This is in games media, so one at least had played the Sims 4 at launch and dismissed as a sequel with less content than the prequel (though the genres never really matched tastes, either, so always outside the community). Everything lined up with my first post: predatory, targeted, etc. One even adds that the only way to go is live service with the Sims.

It was really interesting to listen to, just from the perspective of how truly... Not special the Sims 4 was to them. It was never forgotten, just brushed aside as something not worth remembering. Something with a presumably darker future ahead, or at least that is how I interpreted it.

I get a similar sense at large. There definitely are people unaware of the Sims, but it pops up in all sorts of places I do not expect it. I loved Pet Raiser Sims growing up, but very few are made anymore. I was trying to find a list and do you know what was on the the top? C&D. I was somewhat offended, but it was a ramshackle list because of how few current ones there really are. It makes me wonder if the Sims was largely dismissed by anyone that has been close, but not converted into a community member.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

You don't see any PC games in stores any longer. A couple of days ago I made a rare visit to one of the largest shopping malls in my area looking for shirts. It has had a game store since the beginning, one that I used to visit fairly frequently back in the day. Went in out of curiosity, and not one PC game, nothing but console. Same goes for any type of store that sells computer games/software. I also remember the days when TS1, 2 & 3 were jamming the shelves, displayed on posters, and were in every gaming magazine out there. I even remember that those games could still be found in stores after they went out of production. No more. It's like an era ended. From what I've seen and read, Cinebar is spot on about how the game is currently viewed.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

Lol intersting!! Welcome to the world of sims!!🤭🤭 honestly I always wanted a game like this as a child. Sims series is a dream come true.

It's definitely an isolated community. I don't know ANYONE outside of my tiny tiny circle who knows about the game. And the few people that saw ne playing was like it's so booooooooorrrrrrrriinnggg how do you play this?!! How can you never get tired of clicking over and over?🤣🤣🤣
    I'm like let me be at peace😌
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited July 2021

Lol intersting!! Welcome to the world of sims!!🤭🤭 honestly I always wanted a game like this as a child. Sims series is a dream come true.

It's definitely an isolated community. I don't know ANYONE outside of my tiny tiny circle who knows about the game. And the few people that saw ne playing was like it's so booooooooorrrrrrrriinnggg how do you play this?!! How can you never get tired of clicking over and over?🤣🤣🤣

Meanwhile those same people play 400 different versions of the same type of shooter games where all they do is run, shoot, jump, crouch, duck, shoot, swing, punch, kick, shoot, grab an item, shoot, upgrade their weapon, shoot, talk to some NPC for information, run, jump, punch, crouch, swing, jump, run, shoot some more...... click click clickety click pew pew click click..... for 12 hours straight.

[insert slap forehead-of-irony here] :|
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member

Meanwhile those same people play 400 different versions of the same type of shooter games where all they do is run, shoot, jump, crouch, duck, shoot, swing, punch, kick, shoot, grab an item, shoot, upgrade their weapon, shoot, talk to some NPC for information, run, jump, punch, crouch, swing, jump, run, shoot some more...... click click clickety click pew pew click click..... for 12 hours straight.

[insert slap forehead-of-irony here] :|

While this is definitely a fair criticism of someone throwing stones while living in a glass house, this personally sounds like someone that doesn't play games. I think it is also a more charitable position to take since it can be difficult for people to understand the enjoyment derived from clicking a mouse if they have never done it themselves. Though I might be wrong, since this happened to someone else only (s)he can say.

But this kind of hypocrisy absolutely does exist. My own brother, a man that loved to watch me plays the Sims in his wee youth, and has played some himself has gone through several stages of gaming elitism through the years. As if what and how anyone else plays plays a game affects you. (Though I think real world constraints and age have been taming that mindset.)

The only thing really mitigating I can offer is pacing. 400 hues of shooter probably has a far different sense of pacing, and most definitely level of competitiveness, that could make the Sims one of the last thing these type of players want to play.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    I don’t really follow gaming anymore, only keep up with The Sims and a Fire Emblem gacha, so I don’t have any insights on the topic. Just popping in to say that today our local newspaper ran a short article on Cottage Living, “The Sims go Country” it was captioned. Interestingly the author assumed that everyone was already familiar with The Sims, no need to explain what kind of game it is. She explained what dlc stands for, though.

So what else did she find important to share with non-gamers? The fact that the expansion makes the sims’ life harder due to needy animals and that cooking now requires ingredients (yes, it is an optional lot challenge, but that would have went too much into detail for a feel good article).
    She said that the pack is on par with the ones before, because the number of objects is about the same and even wrote down the exact numbers. Basing a pack’s worth on the number of included CAS and Build/Buy items is something I’ve seen in the community, too.
    Then there was the obligatory minor criticism that such five minute “game tests” tend to include. The author choose to use the fact that swatches (she didn’t use that term) once again don’t match the base game ones.
    Finally the author mentioned that the pack was in line with the current Cottagecore trend on Instagram, again assuming that her audience was familiar with the platform (I’m not, but I’m probably in the minority in this regard).

…did I just write a review of a review? In any case, I found it interesting to see how a journalist (and probably also a gamer) chose to approach the topic for a very broad audience.

Meanwhile here I sit, afraid to update my game and to purchase Cottage Living, because of the thousands of households bloat bug and the Finchwick fair problems.
  • Plumb0b_ClairePlumb0b_Claire Posts: 63 Member
    I've played the Sims since the Sims 2. Then went on to play Sims 3. I would spend countless hours per day enjoying the game because they were just that good. The Sims 4 is by far the weaker and the worst in the franchise. You could tell so much love, attention to detail and care was put into the previous games. The Sims 4 is just sorely lacking in gameplay and love/attention.
    Here's my response to what I think will add depth to the basegame in the Sims 411 - Forum Feedback!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959481#Comment_17959481