March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you like Location based Aspirations?

Comments

• bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    They're a waste of an aspiration, I dislike them.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I like Mt Komorebi sightseer and the Jungle Explorer one from Jungle adventure. I like it when my sim can immerse themselves in a culture. The one from Island living felt a bit empty, there's culture there, but it doesn't feel like your sim will "go native" with the beach life aspiration. And I don't usually have sims actually live in San Myshuno (visit? Regularly. Live there? Not so much.)

That said, I wouldn't mind some additional aspirations as well that focus on other aspects of the various packs, but I understand that there's only so much that they can get done in the time they have.

I agree with this. I think some of them work for worlds that have a lot of activities to do, like Mt. Komorebi or Salvadorada, but in some worlds it doesn't make sense.
    The Island Living one is quite bad; I think one of the aspirations is get a tan, it's too easy.
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I love them, and like the flavor they add to some sims personalities, but with the caveat that I think it's best when Expansion Packs, at least, offer a location-based aspiration and at least one other new aspiration.

It's also key for me that you can finish an aspiration and then choose a new one. If we only had one lifelong aspiration, and/or couldn't change it, I would probably not use them.

I agree. I think it's fair to have 1 aspiration with a new world, and maybe have 1 other aspiration that has to do with something else.
    Calico45 wrote: »
    So, mine isn't up there. I like them more for personality aspect. Small town Sim that dreams of a big city life gets the City Native aspiration. Sims that aspire to live in or are bonded to Sulani get the Beach Life aspiration. Sightseerer seemed too tutorial-esque for me to really use it much.

I don't need a guide to the new content, much less in the form of an aspiration, but I do like the concept of Sims hungering for a lifestyle a new pack or world offers. I wish they were a little more tuned to that instead.

That's a cool way to look at it! I'll have to have one of my country sims dream of living in the city :)
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I love them! They help me learn about the new content in each pack!
    I find them a useful tutorial in exploring new content.

Beyond that, the Batuu aspirations are fun for me. When I am able to actually complete them, that is. ;)
    Sindocat wrote: »

Beyond that, the Batuu aspirations are fun for me. When I am able to actually complete them, that is. ;)

Is there some sort of bug with the aspiration, or is it just challenging?
    None of the options reflect my play style…

I believe Jungle Explorer, Archaeology Scholar and Outdoor Enthusiast are the location aspirations I’ve used most so far. I don’t do aspirations for the rewards really but only because they suit my sims’ character and/or the narrative I’m playing out with these guys. Because hey, if I want a reward I cheat a reward. 😇
    I spend a lot of time in The Jungle…in-game and …*glances over at back yard…😣….anyway, OP I haven’t done the ones you mentioned yet, but I think it’s good to have them available. I prefer adventure quests and I take my time exploring these. I have very little interest in rushing through aspirations by getting boxes ticked as quick as possible. It’s not how I can enjoy this game and for that reason I haven’t done many of them yet.

But…Perhaps one day I’ll create a dude to do that easy beach life aspiration. I’ll make him wear a ridiculous pair of Bermuda shorts, get him to drink Cupid Juice all day long, give him nasty sunburns and let him peer into the many sunsets until a gorgeous mermaid lures him into the ocean with her beautiful siren song and gets him killed by a Great White.

LOL sounds like a good aspiration for a retired sim looking to enjoy their last days at the beach!
    bixters wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »

Is there some sort of bug with the aspiration, or is it just challenging?

It is on the Laundry List, but yes - there is a bug with the droid vendor, and purchasing a droid is the second task of the second tier of both the Resistance and First Order aspirations. I could cheat past it, but would prefer not to.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I never use them. I will send Sims to either vacation or honeymoon in both Mt. Komorebi, or even Sulani, but I don't have the desire to have any of my Sims live in either place. I would much rather other more useful aspirations be an addition to the asperations. I wouldn't want any to be deprived of things they are enjoying, just because I don't like something. I'd much rather see additions made to the list.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    They can be helpful sometimes.
    I like having the option to use them if I want. They are kind of like tutorials for those packs. Admittedly, I don't always pay attention to my sims' aspirations but I like having them. I do pay attention to the whims sometimes.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    I don't always use them - but occasionally they are handy. In Journey to Batuu, particularly, I find them useful in justifying the vacation time in terms of satisfaction points earned. The tasks may or may not reflect the story I am telling in my head, but I have come to appreciate a certain amount of structure to leaven my sandbox play.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    BURN THEM ALL!!!
    I rather have them reworked into a decent wants/fears system for reward points than be apart of aspirations. Aspirations in general don't feel fulfilling to me because they lack consequences so doesn't feel like an achievement without some sense of failure to them.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited July 2021
    I hardly every use them unless I want the specific reward trait.
    I hardly ever use them unless I want a specific Sim to get the reward. I don’t have all the packs.
    The location aspirations resemble tutorials, which is why I prefer the other aspirations.

StrangerVille: One lucky Sim went as I wanted the hero of StrangerVille reward. The aspiration itself was fun but I wouldn’t do the mission again in the same save file so I wouldn’t pick it for another Sim.

Batuu: I’ve chosen JTB, (although Star Wars aspiration is separate but you have to travel there to complete it).
    Just one Sim went to Batuu. Originally three were going, one for each faction.
    The First Order was fun to play, I got high enough to fly the spaceship and the lot improved once I renovated the base. The TV was a big hit with the walkbys (although stormtroopers and Imperial Officers didn’t use it.)

I wouldn’t send another Sim into the same faction though.
    I didn’t like the resistance base at all (it’s just forest and a ship up top, not staying here!)
    The outpost I kept getting lost.
    I just didn’t feel like sending anyone else so the aspiration can’t be completed.

Mount Komorebi: One Sim chosen to have the aspiration and it does feel like a tutorial. Do this, do that. Unless there’s more to unlock I doubt I’d select it for another Sim.
    Post edited by ncisGibbs02 on
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    I never use them and feel indifferent towards them.
    I like the ones that feel less like a tutorial and more like something my sims can strive for throughout their lives, lifetime aspirations, I guess. Thankfully there is a mod for that, which I really enjoy. I appreciate the "tutorial" style ones for the first playthrough, especially the one for StrangerVille, but after that, they're kind of useless to me.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member

I'm curious what you mean by this?
    For example working out at a gym venue, you have to go to a gym location.
    Or "Meet 3 people in 3 different locations". Sure!
    Why not?
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    I mostly tend to save these for locals within the community wanting to learn more about it. Good old sort of storytelling purposes.

Also Beach Life is an extremely handy trait if you master it! No tense moodlets ever! Pretty strong and I'm glad there's a variant of something like it in game, since we have something similar for embarassment. (In a much more accessable way.)
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    Why not?

I thought it meant the ones that give home turf reward trait when selected: Beach Life Aspiration, City Native Aspiration, Mt. Komorebi Sightseer, StrangerVille Mystery Aspiration. Those are called location based aspirations. Some people are also talking about other aspirations such as Archaeology Scholar.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    Why not?

I thought it meant the ones that give home turf reward trait when selected: Beach Life Aspiration, City Native Aspiration, Mt. Komorebi Sightseer, StrangerVille Mystery Aspiration. Those are called location based aspirations. Some people are also talking about other aspirations such as Archaeology Scholar.

Ah….I believed it’s an aspiration that’s linked to a specific World and can’t be completed unless a sim travels to that World to finish one or more goals. For instance, for the Archaeology Scholar aspiration a sim has to travel to Selvadorada in order to perform excavations. Outdoor Enthusiast has to travel to Granite Falls to catch bugs, meet the hermit etc.

A sim wouldn’t necessarily get a Home Turf reward from those though, so perhaps I misunderstood?
  • arcHannaharcHannah Posts: 23 Member
    I really like the location-based aspirations (if by this we mean the ones under the 'Location' category). I think they're a lot of fun, and I like playing through them as the first aspiration I give to Sims who live in or move to the places in question. City Native is a particular favourite - if I do it with a teen from the city, it really makes them feel like a true city kid. I feel like Beach Life perhaps doesn't match up well to Sulani locals, but it does to people who move there.
  • KiTh_97KiTh_97 Posts: 41 Member
    The one associated with Sulani gives very few points
  • BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 637 Member
    Unfortunately I feel they're a one and done type of aspiration, just like the ones that came with Bust the Dust. If it's tied specifically to the features of the pack, it's not as fun. There's not enough room for creativity in that.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Now that you can complete aspirations a little at a time and change them at anytime, I use them frequently. I pick a main aspiration for my sim depending on their lifestyle and ambitions but switch them back and forth, depending on their activities. My main goal might be as a chef, writer, etc but like knitting or exercise, so I switch them depending on what my sims is concentrating on that moment. I enjoy many of the location ones, especially for archaeology and the culture, so I again switch to those aspirations when on vacation. If my sims are going to enjoy these activities, they might as well get benefits from them! My only problem is I don't always remember to switch them on time. I had an inspired sim knitting, which was part of her aspiration, but forgot to switch it so didn't meet the goal that time. Oh well, maybe next time!
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    BURN THEM ALL!!!
    So sorry but.... I just don't like Aspirations at all in this game. I don't like the way they work. They just function as game tutorials and have no real rewards, the Whims aren't even connected to them so those are useless too, and you can ignore them completely and nothing matters.

I feel that Aspirations should say something about the long term goals of the Sim, what they are ultimately wishing for in life and how they go about accomplishing that. There should be Whims that depend on Aspirations and drive the Sim in that direction. As the Sim fulfills those wishes, they get closer to their lifetime goals. I do like that Aspirations can be changed, but they just don't have any real meaning to the Sims so I don't even put too much thought into them.
    #Team Occult
  • wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    I forget my Sim even has a life aspiration most of the time so I tend to set them all to wealth and when they achieve it, awesome. Or I'll bounce through a few just to get stuff in the rewards store but... yeah...I don't really find use for any of them just via the way I play. It's no more or less useful to me if it's location or soul mate
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    I like them. If you don't like them don't play them.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    troshalom wrote: »
    I like them. If you don't like them don't play them.

Couldn't have summarized it better. :p

It's great having the option there. Of course you don't have to do location based aspirations if you don't like them.

I've recently started the "Strangerville" aspiration. The aspiration is a bit like a "tutorial". Even though so I'm having trouble getting the 15 pieces of evidence for the main plot.
    (And no, I do not want to cheat this)

Any advice would be helpful.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png