Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

From The Sims 1 to The Sims 3, which Build Mode do you like best?

From The Sims 1 to The Sims 3, which Build Mode do you like best? 30 votes

The Sims 1
0%
The Sims 2
23%
Cinebarbarracuda1574Mizzila1297Sunflowergal227OldeseadoggeSimmerGeorgeTempest329 7 votes
The Sims 3
56%
haneulg01denswanArchivistKennziKaigetaydevelelunicyfionaloveserranowaterywatermelonOnverserSimplyBreaAngelEb95Astroking_of_simcity7simmerLellaChicklet453681SERVERFRAQuietSpark 17 votes
Not a builder
13%
Isb917simgirl1010texxx78Breazona 4 votes
Results, please
6%
peragogoSeashoreLivia 2 votes

Comments

• waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    The Sims 3
    I started Simming with the Sims 2 and loved it. I loved the Sims 2 Build Mode too and how customizable it was with Homecrafter Plus and SimPE. Yep, even without SimPE, it was possible to customize the Sims 2 game, because EA did release Homecrafter Plus for creating walls, floors and terrains.

The Sims 3 Build Mode was a total game changer. Gone were the days when I had to flip back and forth to make sure that all the seams were seamless. Create-A-Style was awesome. The Sims 3 was loaded with tons of clutter items too, so rooms weren't as empty as they were in the Sims 2. There were more Build Mode options. I also loved the lighting system in the Sims 3; it's much better than the one in the Sims 2 because of the realism. Sims 2 lighting wasn't that realistic, but it was the best in playability because I could see everything. I have only 1 pattern made with Create-A-Pattern, and I hardly use that pattern. The Maxis default patterns are so numerous that I don't even need custom ones!
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    The Sims 3
    My daughter & I only played Sims 3 before Sims 4. So actually, Sims 4 is much better with building.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    The Sims 3
    Speaking of building in TS3, I was just in there over the weekend and am I the only one, who just now learned about "Blueprints"?

I had no idea what it was, never in all these years did I ever pay any attention to that button!

For those of you who don't know, it's very similar to TS4's "rooms" ... except instead of seeing the entire room when placing, you see a flat blueprint with the the outline of where the furniture is located in that room. It joins to any existing wall just like TS4, you can go back and rotate it and move it before accepting.

I was pretty shocked actually!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2021
    The Sims 2
    I preferred TS2's build mode because most of what is in TS3 was already in TS2. The things that bothered me about TS3's build mode was the fact I had to be in buy and build at the same time. I disliked that so much because sometimes if I was placing a decoration I would accidentally grab the 'arrow' of the wall and stretch it out of place etc. That was so annoying. I prefer build and buy to remain separate, always.

I also disliked blueprints, because once one places the blueprint like as an extra room on the side, the door or windows seen in the picture of the blueprint were never where they should have been or totally removed and so was some of the furniture etc. I have to give credit to TS4 for actually improving this feature if anything. Also, when turning homes in TS3 there was always a problem that because it was build facing one way it may not fit facing another etc. The 'turning feature seemed a bit bugged to me and was never improved. And I really disliked the spawners in TS3 because no one but fans ever told anyone if you put these on home lots or even community lots there is a bug in TS3 that if you move that lot they keep spawning and keep spawning deep, deep down into the levels of the ground (unseen) and this causes tremendous lag if you don't know about the spawners' bugs..no matter what type.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    The Sims 3
    @Cinebar

I don't think I have ever accidentally dragged the walls out of place. But, that may be because I have improved performance with The Sims 3, and my Sims 3 game now runs very smoothly, even in Build Mode. I am also very careful with object placements.

I rarely use Blueprints in the Sims 3, because I like to build my own custom homes. Occasionally, I want a quick room so I'll use a Blueprint room. I may only put 1 Blueprint room at a time, because it'll be easier to work with.

I have never actually had problems with the lot turning feature in The Sims 3, probably because I know how it works. Basically, it really depends on the size of the lot you have. If you have a perfectly square lot, then you can turn it all around, 90 degrees at a time.

Thanks for the issue with the spawners. I don't really use them much in the game.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    The Sims 2
    @Cinebar

I don't think I have ever accidentally dragged the walls out of place. But, that may be because I have improved performance with The Sims 3, and my Sims 3 game now runs very smoothly, even in Build Mode. I am also very careful with object placements.

I rarely use Blueprints in the Sims 3, because I like to build my own custom homes. Occasionally, I want a quick room so I'll use a Blueprint room. I may only put 1 Blueprint room at a time, because it'll be easier to work with.

I have never actually had problems with the lot turning feature in The Sims 3, probably because I know how it works. Basically, it really depends on the size of the lot you have. If you have a perfectly square lot, then you can turn it all around, 90 degrees at a time.

Thanks for the issue with the spawners. I don't really use them much in the game.

The problem with the lot not fitting (even if same size) in a space was when a person turns it, some of the landscape etc. may disappear or the paths etc. It is a problem. Trust me I often had a problem accidentally moving a wall when I just wanted to move something. I had my gripe complaints about TS3 back then and was often just told to go back to TS2. lol No different today.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    The Sims 2
    Oof this one was a close one, but I chose Sims 2 because generally, there's more features/better layout for me personally in TS2 compared to TS3. However, I feel like a combination of TS2 and TS3 build modes would be absolutely perfect. Imagine the simplicity of The Sims 2 (in my view, anyway, but I'm also biased because I started with TS2 lol) but with the create-a-style of TS3... The possibilities :O
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    The Sims 3
    Probably not the best person to answer as I've only played 3 and 4, but from what I've seen 2 and 3 look much the same for building but 3 also has create a style which boosts it above 2.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    The Sims 2
    Now i am not a builder however, 2 i feel is the easiest to build in. Why the last time i played, i built a house that cost 11,000 and it came with 2 floors. i loved it and feel so proud of myself! now i don't have homecrafter but i use all the styles from all the games and it is lots of choices. Sims 3 i didn't really build much. Sims 4 i tried but the controls were confusing i felt. Maybe i have to build more.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The Sims 3
    The Sims 3 all the way!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg