Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gamechangers that "should" know what not to do in a build

Comments

• Options
    readerbug2readerbug2 Posts: 31 Member
    I prefer the GC builds way more than the EA ones. I edited EA's builds more because I felt like I had to. To the builders' points: EA builds never included skill building items that I inevitably have to add every time I play one of their builds. It's super annoying that I have to do all this setup before I can even play. I played in Snowy Escape in LilSimsie's build for several hours, and while I thought a bedroom on the first floor was weird, especially as the child's bedroom, I thought the house was useful in general, and I didn't really need to do any prep. It was just plug in a family and play.

I totally get why folks prefer simpler builds that they can edit themselves. I just don't want to renovate a build every time I create a new household. I only want to do that if it fits my story needs.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    The problem for me with pre made buildings is that I do not want to play with the walls down. I want to see the family portraits or that cool poster or wath ever else is on the walls including wallpaper. To do that I prefer to use open space solutions. GC are far to interested in the aestetics and often creats lots of small rooms.
  • Options
    One of the most interesting builds is the mayor's mansiom in Strangerville. As part of my Sims Strangerville quest my Sims was visitng the mansion, but it was so barren and lackluster so I felt that I had to do a lot of interior decorating to make it worthy of the mayor. That is what I like decorating after a specific Sims needs. The GCs put so much of their own taste into the builds not to talk about downloading from the gallery which I very seldom do.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited July 2021
    Peral wrote: »
    One of the most interesting builds is the mayor's mansiom in Strangerville. As part of my Sims Strangerville quest my Sims was visitng the mansion, but it was so barren and lackluster so I felt that I had to do a lot of interior decorating to make it worthy of the mayor. That is what I like decorating after a specific Sims needs. The GCs put so much of their own taste into the builds not to talk about downloading from the gallery which I very seldom do.

I find that a vast majority of builds from the gallery, even the ones that do not specify the need of MOO in the information field, are... quite impossible to rework without a COMPLETE rework. They also often have bad floor plans (or are just so cluttered that the floor plans become bad?).
    An example: I downloaded a Sulani beach house (2 bedroom, 2 bathrooms) from a famous well recognized game changer.

1. Everything was MOO and layered, like hidden lights in other lights (so the rooms were too bright), or using the buydebug "Light squares" to fake lights. Almost no potted plants could be moved without moo since they were layered with vases and sculptures. Almost all doors were put in with MOO.
    2. Mailbox was missing. Trash bin was missing. Probably because of MOO. Grill on the deck could not be used because the window decorations above it were placed with MOO and blocking it.
    3. Clutter clutter clutter everywhere to the point that most kitchen surfaces etc were not usable.
    4. Floor plan and room layout was obviously very specific for the family the GC had in mind, since it was almost impossible to repurpose the house for anything but two adults and a child. There wasn't even enough space to put in say a cat scratching post or a dog bowl anywhere.

Needless to say because it was built by a Youtube GC it was HIGHLY hyped and recommended despite barely functional (I watched the video where it was built after I had downloaded it. it was called a "reno" despite making things well.. worse).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    The gym in Brindleton Bay has a kitchen, which is perfect for my active Sims.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited July 2021
    Speaking of rookie mistakes, did anyone notice that they named one of the families as "The Watson Family"? Do they not know that the game will refer to them as "The The Watson Family Household"? :D

IYU6LpW.png
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    edited July 2021
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Speaking of rookie mistakes, did anyone notice that they named one of the families as "The Watson Family"? Do they not know that the game will refer to them as "The The Watson Family Household"? :D

IYU6LpW.png

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this statement though. A "household" is the inhabitant(s) of a home who own and/or maintain and upkeep the home. A family can be a household just as much as a group of unrelated individuals can be one. So the Watson Family Household is just as proper to say as the Amicable Acolytes Household. The difference here being that "Family" and "Acolytes" are defining grouping terms for the members of the household.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member

IYU6LpW.png

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this statement though. A "household" is the inhabitant(s) of a home who own and/or maintain and upkeep the home. A family can be a household just as much as a group of unrelated individuals can be one. So the Watson Family Household is just as proper to say as the Amicable Acolytes Household. The difference here being that "Family" and "Acolytes" are defining grouping terms for the members of the household.

The issue here was the “The The” thing created by adding the word “The” to the household name, not the Family part.
  • Options
    EA_MakoEA_Mako Posts: 846 EA Community Manager
    Hey everyone, just as a reminder please be sure to keep the feedback respectful as I've had to moderate a few posts throughout the thread.

You're more than welcome to provide criticism on builds and content, but let's make sure that doesn't turn into rude remarks directed at the actual individuals, GC or otherwise.

The majority of you are keeping that distinction clear and it's appreciated, thanks! :)
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I love the pub that Devon Bumpkin made and can't wait to bring my sims there! A kitchen makes sense to me as the bar itself offers meals. How did they get made if there is no kitchen? Makes sense for gameplay to have a small kitchen. I live in New England in USA and most bars have kitchens for the all the chicken wings, grinders, etc that they also offer.
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »

IYU6LpW.png

The issue here was the “The The” thing created by adding the word “The” to the household name, not the Family part.

I see that now. Stupid brain autocorrecting things I read without my realization.
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited July 2021
    Sounds like the house's functionality as a house is not tested first before releasing.

Also, yeah, often when one thing is off about the interior, you can only fix it by redoing the whole house. .
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I love the pub that Devon Bumpkin made and can't wait to bring my sims there! A kitchen makes sense to me as the bar itself offers meals. How did they get made if there is no kitchen? Makes sense for gameplay to have a small kitchen. I live in New England in USA and most bars have kitchens for the all the chicken wings, grinders, etc that they also offer.

I think the issue isn't so much "Do pubs have kitchens" -- yes, of course they do, most of them -- but "What happens in Sims if pubs have kitchens." When the only outcome is NPCs wandering into the kitchen to bake 500 white cakes or start fires, I have a problem with that. Unless that kitchen delivers with a door defaulted to allow access only to employees (is that even a thing without mods?), it can end up a gameplay issue in Live mode. 100% here for a kitchen existing as part of a built with a door locked to customers, though. Would be even better if the game would recognize its existence have fetch food order from there. I'm always suspicious of that currywurst that's been hanging out at the bar since before I got there...
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member

I think the issue isn't so much "Do pubs have kitchens" -- yes, of course they do, most of them -- but "What happens in Sims if pubs have kitchens." When the only outcome is NPCs wandering into the kitchen to bake 500 white cakes or start fires, I have a problem with that. Unless that kitchen delivers with a door defaulted to allow access only to employees (is that even a thing without mods?), it can end up a gameplay issue in Live mode. 100% here for a kitchen existing as part of a built with a door locked to customers, though. Would be even better if the game would recognize its existence have fetch food order from there. I'm always suspicious of that currywurst that's been hanging out at the bar since before I got there...

I bet some random stupid sim is going to start a fire trying to make a cake or something.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member

I bet some random stupid sim is going to start a fire trying to make a cake or something.

You can remove the stove from that kitchen if you don't want fires or replace it with a microwave oven. Personally I don't like when sims start congregating in places they shouldn't be and instead of ordering food from the bar they start getting cereal from the fridge.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Personally I don't mind MOO, I use it every time, it makes building better. That being said when I upload a build on the gallery I playtest it beforehand and I don't go overboard with it either, I mostly use it to place clutter.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Luthienrising, i agree with you as you never know what a sim will do. I was playing my game, it was summertime and very hot outside and my sim decided to turn the fireplace on when I wasn't looking, starting a big fire! Who in their right mind starts the fireplace on a very hot day? LOL I might actually add the restaurant stove and have only a few meals in the pub that may seem appropriate. Though I am afraid might ruin the ambience of the pub in which case I will remove the kitchen. I was only commenting that irl most bars here do have kitchens. Unless the bars have stoves....
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member

lol. :p
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

Gotta get that insurance money somehow, right?
  • Options
    kayt45kayt45 Posts: 434 Member
    I get that EA’s builds have been pretty bad sometimes and I like that they’re using game changers to build the houses for the packs now. I don’t tend to like general game changer (or gallery) builds because most of them end up being unusable. I don’t know how many times I’ve tried to download a house off the gallery and had to completely rework it to get it function correctly.
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    This is an interesting thread. I like the fact that GC have been building for the new packs. the builds are generally better. I lot of it is down to personal taste. But I do agree, and I am not being specific, some people also don't playtest who upload to the gallery.

though sometimes, weird stuff does happen no matter what you do. I once built a large house, playtested it for sims weeks, all good. Uploaded it and put it in my main game. next day sims couldn't route to a wing of the house. Replaced the doors, no change. removed and re-built the floor in a bedroom and all sweet. No issues ever again. Sometimes glitches happen. So better to be kind and assume these things are more likely one offs, unless you consistently have the same experience. I have used plenty of houses of the some of the GC mentioned with no issues.
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Pub meals are a common thing here in Australia as well, something we inherited from our British past. I don't have the Country Living pack, but having an English pub with a kitchen makes perfect sense to me, and I would probably find it odd if the build didn't have some sort of meal prep or cooking area along with a bar. Having said that, from what I'm reading it sounds like they just whacked a random kitchen into the build, without actually incorporating it into any sort of gameplay. That sounds like a huge missed opportunity to me. They should have made it so that at a certain time the game spawns a cook for the kitchen & your Sim can head to the pub for a meal and a drink as part of the whole 'community village' experience (with Sims not being allowed to just waltz in and cook their own meals as well). It's a pretty big tradition for working class and country folks in Australia to head down the local for a meal & to catch up with friends and neighbours over a few drinks at the bar (same as in England), it sounds like it might've been nice if they'd incorporated that aspect more rather than just going 'Pubs in England serve meals, so we'll just whack a kitchen in a bar and have Sims randomly decide to cook their own food'.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    The builders were limited to base game and Cottage Living only. Maybe simmers with Dine Out will want to change it to a restaurant.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited July 2021
    The builders were limited to base game and Cottage Living only. Maybe simmers with Dine Out will want to change it to a restaurant.
    I didn’t know they were limited. I thought they had to focus on the new stuff to review. That’s why no other packs are used.
    Do they have to disable all their other packs? Or is the early access they get a separate game version?

When I watched Snowy Escape, (which were the only let’s plays expansion I saw ‘live’), focusing on the new features and world made sense because of the snow activities etc.
    I usually go bananas with a new pack using only that for a week but then I start seeing what can work together.

James Turner videos on Paranormal featured Snowy Escapes so are Stuff Packs immune? Game Packs? I’m going to rewatch some let’s plays.

I think would be more helpful to see how a new pack fits in with your current packs and gameplay style 🤔.

Post edited by ncisGibbs02 on
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I didn’t know they were limited. I thought they had to focus on the new stuff to review. That’s why no other packs are used.
    Do they have to disable all their other packs? Or is the early access they get a separate game version?

When I watched Snowy Escape, (which were the only let’s plays expansion I saw ‘live’), focusing on the new features and world made sense because of the snow activities etc.
    I usually go bananas with a new pack using only that for a week but then I start seeing what can work together.

James Turner videos on Paranormal featured Snowy Escapes so are Stuff Packs immune? Game Packs? I’m going to rewatch some let’s plays.

I think would be more helpful to see how a new pack fits in with your current packs and gameplay style 🤔.

For this kind of early access (which is a substitute for Sims Camp and similar events), yes.
    Some gamechangers got a separate early version of base game + new pack, it had a watermark, no internet access, etc. I guess at the patch day (Tuesday?) all (not some) GCs will get early access again, and it will be a full access for normal game version and with all packs.
    Stuff- and gamepacks don't have that early-early access, GCs just receive game codes and add packs to their game.