March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The sims 4 Cottage Living Negativity thread.

Comments

• BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,587 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    Maybe my opinion is unpopular but I think that Game Changers received early acess too fast. After 2 weeks of videos, discussions and contents everyone will be bored of that pack before they buy it. Especially that EA will not add anything new during this period.

It is already boring. If you look at the LS they already covered all the gameplay in less than one hour. What can we really do? Cows, lamas, chicken, rabits, foxes, birds (which are gonna be repetitive and boring pretty soon), bad simulated festivals, grocery delivery, oversized plants, a 5 levels knitting skill, wobbly errands and I can't think of anything else substancialy big enough to keep me interested more than 5 hours of gameplay.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Maybe my opinion is unpopular but I think that Game Changers received early acess too fast. After 2 weeks of videos, discussions and contents everyone will be bored of that pack before they buy it. Especially that EA will not add anything new during this period.

I'm more worried about another change like the eco lifestyle apartment balcony. Early access videos showed players being able to use the balcony and in the final released version the balcony can no longer be used to place objects. I was very disappointed about that. Some gamechangers put in a disclaimer that it is not the final version. So not every detail we see is guaranteed to be in the game.

The worst part is that Maxis won't even take those extra weeks to add on missing features such as more animals (pigs, guinea pigs, goat, a veterinarian that can come home to heal sick animals etc). TS4 is a live service game, which normaly live service games take advantage of that, to improve missing features etc but it's not the case with TS4. Once an EP is done, they never look back to it, whether it's bad or not, and to be honest, every EPs on this iteration fall flat.

To be fair, game development would probably take much longer to create those things than a few extra weeks. Normally for games, they got to get new content approved/verified before releasing it and that can take time but I'm not as sure with live service games. But for things like more animals they would definitely need more than a few weeks to make them.

The most they can probably do is tweak features that are already in the game/EP (ex: percentage rates, QOL things), fix glitches, and remove content. GameChangers are like gamer testers but simultaneously provide free (?) advertisement of the game to their followers. Game devs may genuinely listen to feedback by GameChangers but I don't think they could implement a lot of the heavy content creation in only a couple of weeks. The game would have to be (heavily?) delayed to add more animals like that. A veterinarian might be more feasible if it was a rabbit hole feature but that would be more realistically a patch update sometime after.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

They usually do get early access that early, but I agree if they are planning on dripping content out every day or daily it could potentially be overkill. I know the answer is “Don’t watch!” But I think that’s very foolish for anyone on the fence.

For me I don’t take most game changers words as gospel when they are recording their initial reactions, because I’ve saw way too often the opinion changing and them going from “best pack ever!” to “Well, actually.. this isn’t great”
    I have a feeling the foxes killing rabbits will be nerfed before we get it because people will want the wild fox lot trait but won't want the foxes to steal eggs or kill bunnies. I won't be surprised at all. I read people were asking for it's removal during the livestream already.

I said that too as soon as the fox killed the chicken. I am surprised they added that and I won’t be surprised if that gets nerfed.

• calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I have a feeling the foxes killing rabbits will be nerfed before we get it because people will want the wild fox lot trait but won't want the foxes to steal eggs or kill bunnies. I won't be surprised at all. I read people were asking for it's removal during the livestream already.

I saw that. It was like someone had dropped the n-bomb or something. Bizarrely, some of them were requesting death by crocodile before that happened. Strange.
  • may151997may151997 Posts: 209 Member
    Does anyone know how far cows and llamas are able to roam? How much time do they spend in their rabbithole? Can we overlap barns to have multiple cows/llamas roaming?
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    scoed1227 wrote: »

Given you can disble the challenge a.d thus the killing that would be lame. The whole point of foxes is the steal eggs and kill chickens and bunnies so you must take steps to prevent that. Things like befriending them and asking them not to, getting a lama, installing an alarm, having a rooster and/or being vigilant and chasing them off. Please Maxis leave the foxes alone.

They had better leave it the fox alone! There is a much vaunted “toggle” in that you can simply not choose that lot challenge in addition to all you mentioned above!
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Honestly I think the fact the livestream was only an hour says a lot. I was really disappointed that they didn’t show off bb or cas either, as I don’t watch any game changers. It’s nothing personal, I’m just a busy mom who’d prefer to spend my little free time playing the game, not watching YouTube. It kind of feels like they are charging $40 for a new world, since most of the “new” features are just minor changes to things already in game. Canning=cooking, animals=pets + birds from backyard stuff/fx from IL & JA, farming=gardening, festivals are festivals, market stalls are market stalls, and odd jobs are odd jobs..so what does that leave? Ponds are in the update, even the cow/llama/chickens are just interactive objects. I’m not normally one to be overly negative, but this is proving to be a let down.

I hope not! I enjoy realism in my game. In fact, I think sims could benefit from a lot more realistic game play. They make it too childish sometimes. They seem to be looking for a younger target audience rather than teens and young adults.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I do find it funny that people that have been begging for a "farming pack" for years would want to disable actual things that happens on farms, like animals dying.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

Naw, I don't believe that. It's optional, after all. You just don't have to use the lot trait. It would be like buying a pack devoted to vampires and kicking up a fuss to nerf the vamp... Oh.

That bad things can happen in this pack though it needs a toggle is one of the good things about it. Maybe a modder will make a "tame foxes" lot trait where you'll basically have a dog who lives in the wild and leaves the chickens alone.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    may151997 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how far cows and llamas are able to roam? How much time do they spend in their rabbithole? Can we overlap barns to have multiple cows/llamas roaming?

According to Carl only chickens roam. The others are tied to their pens and do not wander.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited July 2021
    James Turner showed off some of the debug items in his build and buy objects video and they are really good looking items. I wish we could use them in the game properly without using a cheat.

No new toilet in the pack but I know there is a good old fashioned one with overhead cistern in the Vampires pack which would look good with it. It's looking good too to use this pack with Get to work and Eco Living.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »

I saw that. It was like someone had dropped the n-bomb or something. Bizarrely, some of them were requesting death by crocodile before that happened. Strange.

Only because death by crocodile would be a sim related death, and we all know it's fun/funny to kill off human sims. But the moment animals start acting like irl animals then it's a no-go because it'll hurt someone's fee-fees and "mentally scar/traumatise" children ( you know despite some children growing up watching nature documentaries where they watch lions kill zebra's etc) or adults who have the sensitivity of a snowflake.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
    Felicity wrote: »

Naw, I don't believe that. It's optional, after all. You just don't have to use the lot trait. It would be like buying a pack devoted to vampires and kicking up a fuss to nerf the vamp... Oh.

That bad things can happen in this pack though it needs a toggle is one of the good things about it. Maybe a modder will make a "tame foxes" lot trait where you'll basically have a dog who lives in the wild and leaves the chickens alone.

I mean, people were begging for the haunted lots from Paranormal to be nerfed, despite it being a selectable lot type. So having players demand an already pre-made toggle be nerfed wouldn't surprise me. Istg, this fandom can be so dumb at times demanding things that are already in the game, because they're too lazy to do a simple google search.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited July 2021

I mean, people were begging for the haunted lots from Paranormal to be nerfed, despite it being a selectable lot type. So having players demand an already pre-made toggle be nerfed wouldn't surprise me. Istg, this fandom can be so dumb at times demanding things that are already in the game, because they're too lazy to do a simple google search.

Yeah, I know. I thought my sarcasm would be obvious. It's amazing how many people don't like a feature in their game so they want no one to have that feature at all. It makes no sense.

Edit: To go back to Cottage Living, of the lets plays that I watched, it looks like farming will be a lot of work, and it won't be just printing simoleans. That's not a negative, though. I am not crazy about the idea that things like foxes need to be toggled on rather than being the default and having to be toggled off, but I guess that they're giving the option is a step in the right direction.
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    Again the made a map with too much empty space. Some people may argue that because it's a rural area that it's suppose to be blank but at least put in stuff for people to do. What am I going to do with all that nothing? Take pictures? There needs to be more to the world. Fairs that offer family activity; ring toss, tractor rides, petting zoos, food tasting competitions, raffles, that thing when you throw the ball to dunk people. These are things at least that we would do to celebrate the harvest being completed. Just something to do in the world! I need more to a world than just pretty.

The clothes selection for men again is abysmal. Men braid their hair, they braid their beards too. Then there's the clothes, simple shirts with patterns just, even if you have to get inspiration from a different time period just something. They shouldn't be getting so little.

And as for this being a farming pack I was expecting more stuff to plant like wheat, corn and more fruit trees.

may151997 wrote: »

According to Carl only chickens roam. The others are tied to their pens and do not wander.

This is what I was afraid of. Cows/llamas will be inside their rabbitholes unless they are being interacted with?
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    After watching the live-stream, I just can't see paying full price for this pack or the pack at all. Mainly because It just doesn't have enough interesting game play and judging by the trailers, it also doesn't appear to have a lot of unique items in CAS or B/B, either.
    I mean, a "decorated" bike?
    But I'll wait to see what EA says about the other items that will be offered in CAS and B/B in the pack in upcoming weeks, lol.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    After watching the live-stream, I just can't see paying full price for this pack or the pack at all. Mainly because It just doesn't have enough interesting game play and judging by the trailers, it also doesn't appear to have a lot of unique items in CAS or B/B, either.
    I mean, a "decorated" bike?
    But I'll wait to see what EA says about the other items that will be offered in CAS and B/B in the pack in upcoming weeks, lol.

I don't like the subject nor the style (I just get "Escape To The Country" vibes from it but then it is meant to look like English stone cottages). I think this is the first expansion pack that I won't get, I didn't see a single thing (not hyperbole, seriously) I found interesting. Not even hairstyles or clothing.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I think it would have been nice to have a haunted castle in the countryside, with a dungeon. I might make one as a tourist attraction for my city sims to visit.

Yeah, I know. I thought my sarcasm would be obvious. It's amazing how many people don't like a feature in their game so they want no one to have that feature at all. It makes no sense.

Edit: To go back to Cottage Living, of the lets plays that I watched, it looks like farming will be a lot of work, and it won't be just printing simoleans. That's not a negative, though. I am not crazy about the idea that things like foxes need to be toggled on rather than being the default and having to be toggled off, but I guess that they're giving the option is a step in the right direction.

Lol, last time I reply to a comment not long after I get out of bed. The sarcasm went right over my head. XD
    Anyway, it's still extremely strange that the mentality of "don't like a feature or a theme, then don't buy the pack" just doesn't occur for many in the fandom, instead they just bombard Twitter and the Gurus with requests to get rid of a feature without thinking about the people who like the feature. But you know what they say about squeaky wheels. :-/ -_-

Going back to Cottage Living, I am quite excited that farming is going to be more work than just spending two seconds weeding the plants. I guess the whole fox thing being a toggle is a slight response to the "controversial" issues that have been surrounding certain actions as of late. I do think it's better that it has the ability to be toggled on/off rather than it being "quietly" nerfed out of existence, ala Vampires or coming pre-nerfed ala Mermaids and Spellcasters. It's probably the best middle ground really. :-/
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think it would have been nice to have a haunted castle in the countryside, with a dungeon. I might make one as a tourist attraction for my city sims to visit.

I like the idea of an old country haunted castle. 😎.
    I’m terrible at building castles so if you make one please upload it to the gallery 🥺.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I do find it funny that people that have been begging for a "farming pack" for years would want to disable actual things that happens on farms, like animals dying.

I want to agree with you but Sims series is not an true to life simulator even though most knows what happens in RL.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited July 2021
    Does anyone know if we only can make plant milk from the cow? What to do for my vegan sims? We already have soy beans, peas and potatoes in the game (yes potato milk is a thing) why isn't this an option? 😢
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member

I do believe there is some sort of an alarm that fixes on the side chicken coup so foxes cannot enter/steal or kill and yesterday watching Carls trailer part one on the pack a fox went into the hen house that did not have an alarm on and was beaten up chicken which was hilarious lol :)
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    And as for this being a farming pack I was expecting more stuff to plant like wheat, corn and more fruit trees.

If you don’t mind CC/Mods, Icemunmun created those items and can be used in recipes they created for the game. And though the items have been out way before Cottage Living the inclusion would have been great for those who don’t want CC/Mods in their games.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top