Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living: Prep and Plans

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    After learning that Henford on Bagley is also called HoB I have been thinking of adding a bit to it. As in hob+bit = hobbit. I want to build a hobbit home for the new world. I recently saw a build by another simmer and really want to give it a go myself. This feels like the perfect world for a hobbit hole. perhaps once the embargo lifts and we get the lot sizes I can already start preparations and do the shell and landscape.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    After learning that Henford on Bagley is also called HoB I have been thinking of adding a bit to it. As in hob+bit = hobbit. I want to build a hobbit home for the new world. I recently saw a build by another simmer and really want to give it a go myself. This feels like the perfect world for a hobbit hole. perhaps once the embargo lifts and we get the lot sizes I can already start preparations and do the shell and landscape.

It is hard when you don’t know the actual sizes. I’ve been really keen to try building a hobbit house and I’ve started in Willow Creek, I think it’s a 30x20 lot but I think I need a bigger lot to have the gardens or it will be cramped. I just couldn’t wait to start. I’m hoping HoB includes some 50x50 as well as 64x64.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    My god, the Teletubbies… cursed!

Yeah, they look quite scary. Would give the kids nightmares.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I'm starting a Jane Austen story with the new pack, were Bingley/Jane and Elizabeth/Darcy are already married. The Bennet, Darcy, Bingley and Wickham families are already created. Pemberley, Netherfield, Longbourn are also ready for Henford, I hope they will fit on the lots.

I'm currently working on a single men household, they are possible partners for Kitty, Georgiana, and Mary. The men and women have their own club, and their activities include being friendly and flirting with the other club. They can meet in the town, or in the Meryton village/ballroom lots and the Lambton Inn/Tearoom/shops lots.

Kitty and/or Mary will live in a cottage when they find their partner. I'm excited for them to have their own garden, cow and chickens :).

I could be totally wrong here because I'm terrible with names, but isn't there even a city (or region, or what have you) called Henfordshire in Pride & Prejudice? It seems like this world is made for them...
  • PurpleHeatherPurpleHeather Posts: 83 Member
    @GrumpyGlowfish I just found out the Bennets live in Hertfordshire and Mr. Collins in Hunsford. So it's only a small difference ;)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I have really liked reading about different plans and ideas. I haven’t decided what I want to do yet. Start a new save or incorporate parts of it for one of my existing stories.

First thing to do is to make sure that my main mods are ok, otherwise I will just wait. Then I will check my favorite CC. After that I usually put a clean Tray folder in and just download everything I like that suits the new world from the Gallery. I have individual tray folders for every world in sims 4 so that I have lots that suits the vibe I am going for. After getting a good haul for the new world I will go offline and probably stay that way for a few months. Will see what I feel like playing at that point.

Generally, the mods need to be compatible with the pre-patch, which we have already had. So, if they're working fine in your game now, and have been updated, I think all should be good-to-go, as it were. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    I have really liked reading about different plans and ideas. I haven’t decided what I want to do yet. Start a new save or incorporate parts of it for one of my existing stories.

First thing to do is to make sure that my main mods are ok, otherwise I will just wait. Then I will check my favorite CC. After that I usually put a clean Tray folder in and just download everything I like that suits the new world from the Gallery. I have individual tray folders for every world in sims 4 so that I have lots that suits the vibe I am going for. After getting a good haul for the new world I will go offline and probably stay that way for a few months. Will see what I feel like playing at that point.

Generally, the mods need to be compatible with the pre-patch, which we have already had. So, if they're working fine in your game now, and have been updated, I think all should be good-to-go, as it were. ;)

Isn't it the next patch that will make a difference? The one with the pond tool and group cooking etc?
  • deadncrispydeadncrispy Posts: 500 Member
    I wonder if we'll be able to make decent amounts of money farming or from the animal resources
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Yes :)

You are right. Usually I would know this stuff earlier.

I am just away from home with limited internet. Will probably return after the expansion has released. I have no idea how things are going for my content creators but usually they update things quickly.

• HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    Still working on all my builds for the three saves I have planned for HoB. (But wait, Haflinger, you said a medieval save and a legacy save before, that was only two.) I'm definitely doing a Regency save that will probably turn into a Victorian one if I keep it going long enough. I'm planning to make Willow Creek into Georgian "London" with townhomes for sims and then the landed gentry can all go to their country homes in HoB.

Seeing the lot sizes help a lot with planning those.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Now that I've seen the layout of the world I will add the premades to my rotation but also have elderly couples retire to the village and occupy the smaller lots. Gives elders some purpose. Also, nothing from this world will be found in other worlds, to make the village unique. I like that and find that setting limitations keeps my game interesting.
  • HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    edited July 2021
    Oooh, browsing the Wikipedia entry for the Cotswolds reveals that it's major industries is tourism, (which I feel has a good rep in that one rental lot) and retail. Might change one of the small village homes into a retail lot. Maybe then I'll actually play with one.

Edit: You know what! Maybe a second rental lot. I always kinda wanted one in the town...but I also like starter lots. Hmm. We'll see. We'll see.
    Post edited by Handel on
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member

Isn't it the next patch that will make a difference? The one with the pond tool and group cooking etc?

Exactly. We will need a patch to add ponds, group cooking and lot challenges (off the grid is base game) for this EP to function properly. I think the laundry list, which is usually published around two weeks in advance, published this week will be adressed as well in the July patch.
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    2oxiegD.jpg

I'm probably going to move that rental lot over to the empty 50x40 lot. I have no use for rentals in my game, so I'll just turn it into a normal residential lot, and the bonus is that I'll be able to expand the garden. I'll replace the 30x20 lot with a library that I built.

I'll check out all the starter homes before I move any sims in, but I'll likely create my own family.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.

I have to admit I truly forgot there was YET ANOTHER DERN PATCH on its way. I'm glad, now, that I will be primarily focusing on the ancestral game save once this EP is released and not my poor, oft-restarted MAIN save I'm feverishly trying to get it back to where it was before the March patch hit. So very frustrating. Guess I pushed that reality out of my head, for the time. Thanks for the reminder. I'll try not to burst into tears.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    edited July 2021
    2oxiegD.jpg

I'm probably going to move that rental lot over to the empty 50x40 lot. I have no use for rentals in my game, so I'll just turn it into a normal residential lot, and the bonus is that I'll be able to expand the garden. I'll replace the 30x20 lot with a library that I built.

I'll check out all the starter homes before I move any sims in, but I'll likely create my own family.

Thank you for sharing this map. I can use both of the 50 X 40 lots. I can make them work. Whether or not I use the premade cottage, is another thing, but the sizes are generous and that gives me cause for joy. :)
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    I would like to bring my current Sims into the English countryside. What would be most ideal is if we could get a working inn or bed and breakfast where my city Sims could go on holiday. They could take part in the farm chores and bring home produce and knitted goods when their holiday is over. Christmas would be a great time for a visit when the village and homes are all decorated. This will add a whole new dimension to their lives, I guess to my life too, lol.
  • HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    And now I have the idea to make that other large Old New Henford lot a Community Space. Would probably have to find some sort of barn-ish shell and probably manually adjust the Garden/Maker/Marketplace myself, as I would be picky enough to personalize those.

You might think I would lean towards Community Garden but I'm kinda more angling for marketspace to sell all of those farm-fresh products! (And there is a sort of garden already out in the world)
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    I did an Internet search and found images of homes built in Virginia in the 18th century. Mind you, all I had to go on was the outside, but I managed to create a floor plan for each. The first one is what's called a shot-gun format, IE room behind room behind room, as it were. Both are built on a 40 X 30 lot, since someone was kind enough to read off the list of possible lot sizes.
    vqYno4l.jpg
    First floor:
    tWj9z88.jpg
    Second Floor:
    pqlKBaB.jpg
    Third Floor:
    6TPJuwu.jpg

The other image I found was something I'd call a forerunner to the rambling ranch style"
    d1qSUPI.jpg
    A Cutaway of the first floor:
    aXL9PPp.jpg
    The Second Floor:
    ltJsquD.jpg

I have yet to give either one a play-test, so I'm anxious to try them out.

A few years ago I researched shotgun houses because I wanted to know why they were called that. The reason they're named that is because you can shoot a bullet into the front door and it'll exit through the back door.
    I've been prepping a brand new game over the last few weeks and am now almost ready.

I have set up all the worlds with my favourite community Lots, I've added houses into any empty spaces and I have added all of my playable and background households.

I just have two playable families left to edit slightly when the pack comes out, then those two will be moved into HOB as part of my rotation of 14 households.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited July 2021
    I've been prepping a brand new game over the last few weeks and am now almost ready.

I have set up all the worlds with my favourite community Lots, I've added houses into any empty spaces and I have added all of my playable and background households.

I just have two playable families left to edit slightly when the pack comes out, then those two will be moved into HOB as part of my rotation of 14 households.

I try to keep to 15 households to rotate but I always go over. 🙄🤦🏼‍♂️ 😂.
    Some files are named ‘general all’ to take the extra households but tonight I added a third.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,709 Member
    I've decided that my family of 5 will move into the home on the 64x64 lot. It's the perfect size.

8HDLUc9.png

qkf5xa8.png

1otG5Kn.png

61VHArQ.png

I'll probably remove that wall between the kitchen and dining room to make it more open. Add a few more gardening plots to the gardening space out back. Devon mentioned in his video that he had included more of the gardening plots but was asked to remove some of them for player optimization. Same for some of the objects he used in his initial build. I guess that's why we have 12 lots and plenty of open space in the world.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    I can't wait to play this pack. After watching world overview videos I have a better idea of what I want to do. I actually love most of the build.

The Bramblewood: I'm on the fence if I should keep the national park or not. I like the idea of a Forrest wedding spot. For sure going to change the rental lot into a residential lot. Going to give Moody and Malcolm a daughter or Niece that lives with them.

Finchwick: Going to turn one of the residential lots (probably 20x15) into a cafe. Going to add a club that meets there using the sims I add into the world. I'm going to tweak the pub slightly to add some pub games and maybe take out the kitchen.

Old New Henford: I want to add a community space lot, thinking about having it in the empty lot in this world. Not sure yet.

Also adding 3 households to the other residential lots.

Not sure where I want to live. I keep going back and forth. I think eventually I want to end up at the Watson home. I really like that build.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I can't wait to play this pack. After watching world overview videos I have a better idea of what I want to do. I actually love most of the build.

The Bramblewood: I'm on the fence if I should keep the national park or not. I like the idea of a Forrest wedding spot. For sure going to change the rental lot into a residential lot. Going to give Moody and Malcolm a daughter or Niece that lives with them.

Finchwick: Going to turn one of the residential lots (probably 20x15) into a cafe. Going to add a club that meets there using the sims I add into the world. I'm going to tweak the pub slightly to add some pub games and maybe take out the kitchen.

Old New Henford: I want to add a community space lot, thinking about having it in the empty lot in this world. Not sure yet.

Also adding 3 households to the other residential lots.

Not sure where I want to live. I keep going back and forth. I think eventually I want to end up at the Watson home. I really like that build.

I like this idea and may steal it.
    I did an Internet search and found images of homes built in Virginia in the 18th century. Mind you, all I had to go on was the outside, but I managed to create a floor plan for each. The first one is what's called a shot-gun format, IE room behind room behind room, as it were. Both are built on a 40 X 30 lot, since someone was kind enough to read off the list of possible lot sizes.
    vqYno4l.jpg
    First floor:
    tWj9z88.jpg
    Second Floor:
    pqlKBaB.jpg
    Third Floor:
    6TPJuwu.jpg

The other image I found was something I'd call a forerunner to the rambling ranch style"
    d1qSUPI.jpg
    A Cutaway of the first floor:
    aXL9PPp.jpg
    The Second Floor:
    ltJsquD.jpg

I have yet to give either one a play-test, so I'm anxious to try them out.

A few years ago I researched shotgun houses because I wanted to know why they were called that. The reason they're named that is because you can shoot a bullet into the front door and it'll exit through the back door.

Well, nothing I delved into gave the reason behind the name, so thank you for that. Yikes.