Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Things you didn't know!

Comments

• MR2021MR2021 Posts: 93 Member
    > @irishdragon7 said:
    > I recently did the same thing but I tried to lock the door at the base camp in France, but that option was not available. I could not even shoo the paparazzi out of the room when my sims were trying to woohoo. I am not running any mods. I have had a lot of issues with mods breaking my game, so I tend to avoid them for now.

Nraas mods work fine, as far as I know. I'm currently using Overwatch and Master Controller with cheats, and I never had problems with them (the only problems I had, actually, came from the game itself, I think). I heard that Error Trap is really good too, and I might give it a try, especially now that I'm about to move to Isla Paradiso (wish me luck hahahaha)

Another discovery for "things you didn't know" topic: if one of your children is enrolled in the Ballet afterschool activity, they can learn all three interactions (Plié, Pirouette and Échappé) in no time using the Light as a Feather Ballet Barre available in the store. From my experience, just one interaction with the barre will be enough for them to learn the three moves.
    "If any one faculty of our nature may be called more wonderful than the rest, I do think it is memory … The memory is sometimes so retentive, so serviceable, so obedient; at others, so bewildered and so weak; and at others again, so tyrannic, so beyond control!" Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
    edited July 2021
    > @Turjan said:
    > @MR2021 Yeah, even the Carl's Guides have some remarkable omissions.
    > I'm playing rotationally, and after you got lots of highschool graduates in your town, you can just look at the inventories of other graduates to find all kinds of ribbons. Can't help you with colors though. As you said, it's a mix of mostly traits, how skilled they are and performance.

So you're basically saying that every teenager in the town, upon graduating, receives a class superlative, and not just the one who belongs to my active household??? I felt surprised and stupid at the same time after reading your reply. I've never ever thought about it (facepalm)!

I've always thought that the other teenagers, as they were not controlled by me, would fall somewhere in the middle, thus with nothing remarkable to either commend or ridicule them (since I think we all agree that the Sims controlled by the game are not very clever, even with high autonomy). My main Sim married a young adult woman, and she had no class superlative in her inventory. But maybe that's because they were both created in Create-a-Sim, and not pre-made...

Many thanks for your insights :wink:
    Post edited by MR2021 on
    "If any one faculty of our nature may be called more wonderful than the rest, I do think it is memory … The memory is sometimes so retentive, so serviceable, so obedient; at others, so bewildered and so weak; and at others again, so tyrannic, so beyond control!" Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I've found that even with using the assign bed option, other sims will still sleep in the bed. It basically only makes sure the assigned sim will always use that bed, not that someone else won't. Locking the door to everyone except whoever is supposed to be sleeping in the room is a better option. I've been playing with mods for so long, I don't know for sure if that is a game function or a mod function, but I think it's a mod.

@IreneSwift I don't have that problem unless there are unusual circumstances, such as a guest sleeping over or the assigned bed has someone else in it, so he goes to another.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    MR2021 wrote: »
    So you're basically saying that every teenager in the town, upon graduating, receives a class superlative, and not just the one who belongs to my active household??? I felt surprised and stupid at the same time after reading your reply. I've never ever thought about it (facepalm)!
    To be fair, I've been playing with NRaas Story Progression for such a long time that I don't exactly know anymore what the vanilla behavior is. It's been years. I switch between households on the fly, and that's a bit risky without NRaas SP. But anyway, I noticed every YA who visits a graduation gets one of these ribbons, even if it just says "Class Clown" or similar. In my game, every YA goes to graduation after they aged up, as I see that happen via tags from NRaas Tagger. I have never checked homeless sims though, just residents.
    Another thing some people may not know: Witches can magically upgrade wardrobes (not dressers), thus creating a magical portal. Its mechanic works similar to other “rabbit hole” adventures (e.g. mausoleum), where some situations will arise and demand choosing between two options. None of the options seem to be “right” or “wrong”, and the Sim may return from the adventure with some items in his/her inventory, like seeds or gems. After creating the portal, any Sim can use it, not only the witch who created it.
    edited July 2021
    And here's another: if you want to protect your garden (or even your lot) from those annoying zombies, you can use a Peashooter, available in the store. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they shoot automatically at zombies; but to use them to shoot at "normal" Sims, you need to order them to do so.
    I recently made them shoot at those irritating papparazzi who keep showing at my door, and it was very funny to watch hahahaha
    Post edited by MR2021 on
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    You can't lock doors at the base camp in any of the WA worlds. Only in your homeworld or at university.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited July 2021
    You can't lock doors at the base camp in any of the WA worlds. Only in your homeworld or at university.
    It's probably a NRaas GoHere function, as I do it all the time. My sims always have their own little suite with the double bed, a bathroom and two bunk beds in the Shang Simla base camp.

Edit: I use this section here for up to six people. I lock the two doors you partially see at the lower edge of the pic.
    Yxr2dud.jpg
    You even have your own balcony :smiley: .
    Post edited by Turjan on
    edited July 2021
    Turjan wrote: »
    It's probably a NRaas GoHere function, as I do it all the time. My sims always have their own little suite with the double bed, a bathroom and two bunk beds in the Shang Simla base camp.

Edit: I use this section here for up to six people. I lock the two doors you partially see at the lower edge of the pic.
    Yxr2dud.jpg
    You even have your own balcony :smiley: .

I'm starting to think that NRaas mods make a player feel like a god himself! hahahaha I mean, cheats are pretty useful, but these mods take the player to another level!

Another fact for the "things you didn't know" topic: even after quitting a job, your Sim will still be able to perform some interactions related to that job. For instance, Sims who used to be Private Investigators can still do the Sneak Here interaction (even though it's probably useless), and Architectural Designers and Stylists can always research new concepts on the drafting table (this is more interesting in my opinion: you can use their drafts to decorate your house! ;) ). I wish the same thing were true to Ghost Hunters though: one of my Sims has recently quit this profession and can no longer banish spirits, just when I was trying to get all 21 types of them :/
    Post edited by MR2021 on
    edited July 2021
    Now that I'm a member, I can post the picture of the different Award Ribbons that I mentioned earlier:

3oIOj8E.jpg

Aren't they lovely? <3
    One more thing: if your Sim has the Mixology skill and you want to complete the Professor of Drinks challenge (i.e. make your Sim learn at least 42 custom drink recipes), you will have an easier time sending him/her to the underground vampire lair at one of the mausoleums of the graveyard in Bridgeport. They have more than 10 custom drinks, so it's easier to make your Sim learn these recipes at one single location than sending him to the many lounges in the city (although it will be necessary to do so sooner or late, as the bar in the vampire lair does not have 42 custom drinks).
  • jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    I did not even know these existed! Thank you so much.
    I recently discovered that sims got an award for the spring dance king/queen. My sim was the winner of this
    Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot-5.jpg
    edited July 2021
    jaletu2005 wrote: »
    I did not even know these existed! Thank you so much.

You're welcome! In my humble opinion, Service Awards and Career Rewards are one of the best features of Ambitions. If you are a completionist like me, you will feel almost compelled to get them. Be mindful, though, that in buydebug there's only one Award Ribbon, for the painter career (the one in the middle of the picture). Therefore, if you want the other 4, I'm afraid you will have to earn them the normal way. It's not that difficult, it just takes time.

For more details, take a look at these articles: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Service_awards and https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Career_rewards#Ambitions
    jaletu2005 wrote: »
    I recently discovered that sims got an award for the spring dance king/queen. My sim was the winner of this
    Screenshot.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, this is the award for Spring Dance King. The plaque for the Queen is slightly different, and if you don't have it, I think you should give it a try. I might post the picture of both if you want it.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2021
    I'm starting to think that NRaas mods make a player feel like a god himself! hahahaha I mean, cheats are pretty useful, but these mods take the player to another level!
    I'm really gonna have to try these out one of these days. I keep hearing good things about them.

Igazor, don't you think folks here are getting tired of you using that same joke repeatedly for what, around seven years now?

Nahh... ;)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • irishdragon7irishdragon7 Posts: 124 Member
    S_Empress wrote: »
    I was recently reading the Sims Wikia and I learned that Mysterious Mr. Gnomes can have families. If you have more than one on your lot, there's a chance they will magically have a baby! I tried this out. I placed gnomes using buydebug. Within 10 days, they had a baby! I told everybody! lol
    Also, it's only Mysterious Mr. Gnome. The other gnomes don't have families. Lastly, I think you have to have the Generations expansion pack.
    hnQy4ki.jpg
    8nxL4Zs.jpg

My graduation gnomes from Discover University are having families. I never realized this before, just kept finding more and more gnomes on my lot.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    edited July 2021
    Did you know you could ask your professor to attend lectures for you once you've become a close friend of theirs?

Screenshot_21.png
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
    I was recently reading the Sims Wikia and I learned that Mysterious Mr. Gnomes can have families. If you have more than one on your lot, there's a chance they will magically have a baby! I tried this out. I placed gnomes using buydebug. Within 10 days, they had a baby! I told everybody! lol
    Also, it's only Mysterious Mr. Gnome. The other gnomes don't have families. Lastly, I think you have to have the Generations expansion pack.
    hnQy4ki.jpg
    8nxL4Zs.jpg

My graduation gnomes from Discover University are having families. I never realized this before, just kept finding more and more gnomes on my lot.

If one gnome wasn't enough, now they can have families! (sigh) Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your contribution to the thread, but I personally HATE gnomes... But Sims Wikia is very useful and accurate: it's my primary source of information about the game.

Here's another fact: did you know that the "Stylin'" moodlet earned after your Sim reaches the top of the Stylist career is permanent? And by permanent, I mean that even if your Sim quits the career afterwards and joins another, the moodlet will still be there! It's +20 mood forever!

Another thing: I wonder if anyone has any information about the Vault of Antiquity and was willing to help me. I know this isn't the right thread to ask questions, but since The Sims 3 is not so popular anymore, I fear that creating another thread just for this purpose may fall flat...
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited July 2021

All gnomes can have babies. The name "Mysterious Mister Gnome" is actually the generic name applied by the game to all of the gnomes, though the base game gnome has not other name, while the others do. The only way I've actually gotten the base game gnome is by other gnomes having babies, and once when my sims got one in the mail when they sent metal to be smelted. They got the evil gnome back instead of the smelted metal.
    If one gnome wasn't enough, now they can have families! (sigh) Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your contribution to the thread, but I personally HATE gnomes... But Sims Wikia is very useful and accurate: it's my primary source of information about the game.

Here's another fact: did you know that the "Stylin'" moodlet earned after your Sim reaches the top of the Stylist career is permanent? And by permanent, I mean that even if your Sim quits the career afterwards and joins another, the moodlet will still be there! It's +20 mood forever!

Another thing: I wonder if anyone has any information about the Vault of Antiquity and was willing to help me. I know this isn't the right thread to ask questions, but since The Sims 3 is not so popular anymore, I fear that creating another thread just for this purpose may fall flat...

Actually, the sims wikia articles are written by players, not by EA. It's mostly accurate, but sometimes they do post incorrect information. I've found mistakes, but not many.

• SunsetSimsPrimeSunsetSimsPrime Posts: 77 Member
    It turns out if a Sim is killed in public (meteor hit in this case) and a crowd views the event. Once the Grim Reaper and the Sim departs, all the Sims pulls out their cellphones and spreads the news. Though a bit old school (everybody would have been recording the event today) I found this disturbingly realistic.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    It turns out if a Sim is killed in public (meteor hit in this case) and a crowd views the event. Once the Grim Reaper and the Sim departs, all the Sims pulls out their cellphones and spreads the news. Though a bit old school (everybody would have been recording the event today) I found this disturbingly realistic.

This also happen when one of the sims burn to death in public, everybody pulling their phone to report the incident.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    IreneSwift wrote: »

Actually, the sims wikia articles are written by players, not by EA. It's mostly accurate, but sometimes they do post incorrect information. I've found mistakes, but not many.

I know, what I mean is that Wikia seems better than other guides available out there. And probably you've done more research about the game than me, because I've rarely found incorrect information.

Another fact: did you know that there is a Magic Mirror, which was released with Supernatural expansion, with which you can perform many interactions? Besides the normal interactions (like Change Appearance, that can be done with any mirror), your Sim can chat with it and also Conspire Against Enemies!

Speaking of Supernatural, I have questions about the Vault of Antiquity: has anyone tried to enter Trivia Contest there? If so, what were the results? I tried with 5 different Sims (all from the same family), but no message appears at the end of the contest (like "your Sim got in the 10th place"), so I guess it is glitched. On the other hand, one of my Sims earned the 1st place in the Arboretum (gardening) competition, and received a beautiful trophy in my first try. So, what's the problem with the Vault?
    I believe I owe this thread some screenshots of my recent discoveries, so here we go.

In the first place, the plaques for Spring Dance Queen and King (and, along with that, an apology to jaletu2005 for mistaken the Spring Dance Queen plaque for the King one). Here they are (Queen on the left, King on the right):

MI3j359.jpg

Secondly, the gifts for 3rd and 5th work anniversaries (plaque and watch, respectively):

NyLW8XK.jpg

And finally, I also discovered that the Honor Trophies (from Ambitions) also have different recolors depending on the job/career:

Vc83PXi.jpg
    edited July 2021
    I thought children couldn't die in this game. But my sims' 3 oldest children (all in the child stage) were in the pool, snorkeling, when I tried to select the youngest of the three, to have her get out and go to the playground next door with her siblings. I couldn't select her, and she was under the water, struggling and making sounds like she was in trouble. I went into map view and checked her tag. NRaas Tagger causes it to show the current action, and her tag said "Expire." She was dying!

Thankfully, resetting her with NRaas Debug Enabler saved her. It didn't stop her dad from running outside to mourn, or Grimmy from appearing, then promptly disappearing. From now on, I think I'll have the children carry death flowers in their inventories, in case it happens again when I leave them in the pool while I'm busy with other family members.

Edit: I also discovered her father made a wish to resurrect her. Her mother was off the lot, going to the grocery to sell her garden produce.

OK, it's getting more weird now. I checked on the kids at the playground, and while this girl, Ashley is sitting in the sand box playing, her brother, Aidan, is standing there mourning over her, as if she were dead. I hope this doesn't corrupt my game, because I really do not want to go back to the beginning of this day. But I think that if any of the other family members start to mourn over her when they get near her, I'm going to do it anyway. I don't want to lose this game. I have spent so much time on babies and toddlers already, working on earning both parent's surrounded by family LTW.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top