Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Things you didn't know!

Comments

• MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    > @Jeansoo said:
    > That’s ok. If your sim has the fire proof stove, it won’t get burn or catch a fire. One day, I gave my sim a free will day. I didn’t command anything for 24 hrs sim time. He was cooking as he was hungry, then suddenly, he left his food in pot on stove, then he went to work. I promised not to touch anything for 24 hrs to my sim. I was nervous about that food but the food stayed safe until my sim got back home from work after 10 hrs.. I got impressed how that expensive stove is so safe to use.

My sim did NOT have the fireproof stove. For some inexplicable reason, I decided he needed to clean the shower while his Mac & Cheese cooked. The stove promptly caught fire and burned up.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited June 2021
    I think I just figured out that kids and teens bad night sleep is only associated with the bunk beds. I didn't have bunk beds for my set of 8 kids and there were NO bad night's sleep moodlets regardless of how many hours they got or if they were awakened.

Of course everyone else might have already figured this out.
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    @MoonlightGraham
    That’s normal. Mostly, cheap stoves are not fire proofed.
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I just discovered that unless Sims who live in the fraternity or sorority house will crash in any available bed. Can I use the "assign bed" feature to make my Sim's fraternity brothers stop sleeping in his bed?
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    I think I just figured out that kids and teens bad night sleep is only associated with the bunk beds. I didn't have bunk beds for my set of 8 kids and there were NO bad night's sleep moodlets regardless of how many hours they got or if they were awakened.

Of course everyone else might have already figured this out.

According to the code, it CAN apply to all beds. There are two tunable values: "GivesBadNightsSleep", a boolean, which needs to be set to true; and "kBadNightSleepBuffChance", a floating point type variable which determines how likely is a bed to give you the "Bad Night Sleep" buff.

Unless you're talking about a different buff exclusive to children and teens. Could you show me a picture of the buff so I can research it?
  • KkffooKkffoo Posts: 51 Member
    4yWVPKj.jpg
    Elderly aliens use sci-fi themed walking sticks!
    I think this one must have been worn out from perpetually abducting my sim's roommates!
  • MR2021MR2021 Posts: 93 Member
    I've been playing the game for five months or so after a two-year hiatus and I've discovered some really interesting things that I would like to share.

For example: I discovered today that the Award Ribbons (one of those Service Awards that came with Ambitions) have different colors and details depending on the job/career by which they were obtained.

P.S.: please forgive me for my grammar mistakes... English is not my first language.
    "If any one faculty of our nature may be called more wonderful than the rest, I do think it is memory … The memory is sometimes so retentive, so serviceable, so obedient; at others, so bewildered and so weak; and at others again, so tyrannic, so beyond control!" Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @MR2021 Your grammar is better than a lot of people whose first language IS English.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I think there is something wrong with one of my sims or maybe it's the game feature that I havent realized, his autonomy is very random like suddenly he has the urge to take an alchemy class at 3am autonomously, I didnt realize he was taking the class because I thought his beeper called him to police station when I click on him he instead taking an alchemy class no wonder i got charged a set amount of simoleons that night, also he tend to go out of his own only at night, like talking to random passerby at central park in sunset valley from his home or visit another sims' house

Maybe it's a bug i dont know, since it only happens to this one particular sim.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I went a good 10 years before discovering this one! A sim with the neurotic trait can freak out and it will restore your fun meter from drained to halfway. That is the silver lining to having the neurotic trait.

I always knew about freak out, but I didn't know the part about restoring the fun meter.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    AnisEB97 wrote: »
    Evil sims get the "fiendishly delighted" moodlet at work from co-workers with low needs even if they haven't outside of work.

@AnisEB97 That is cool! There is a good amount going on behind the scenes. Even in a rabbithole. That makes me think of those notifications you get in the business career when a sim trips and falls into the mail cart and you get the embarrassed moodlet. That ought to cause the fiendishly delighted moodlet.
    > @IreneSwift said:
    > @MR2021 Your grammar is better than a lot of people whose first language IS English.

Aww, thank you very much!!! I've been working on my English grammar for years, and it's amazing to get a positive review!

I wish I could post the pic of the 5 Award Ribbons related to each job/career, but I don't know how to do it... This is my second post so far, so I guess I don't have enough "privilege". Any help would be very much appreciated.

Ah, I've been discovering so many interesting things about this endearing game that I would like to share... For instance, I suppose many players don't know that your Sim receive gifts from his/her work colleagues upon reaching the 3rd and the 5th work anniversary. The gift for the former is a celebration plaque, and for the latter is a watch. I read somewhere that there is also a gift for the 7th work anniversary, but my Sims haven't got there yet hahahaha
    "If any one faculty of our nature may be called more wonderful than the rest, I do think it is memory … The memory is sometimes so retentive, so serviceable, so obedient; at others, so bewildered and so weak; and at others again, so tyrannic, so beyond control!" Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
    > @Anthonydyer said:
    > I went a good 10 years before discovering this one! A sim with the neurotic trait can freak out and it will restore your fun meter from drained to halfway. That is the silver lining to having the neurotic trait.
    >
    > I always knew about freak out, but I didn't know the part about restoring the fun meter.

And a Sim with the "Dramatic" trait can fake passing out lol
    > @izecson said:
    > I think there is something wrong with one of my sims or maybe it's the game feature that I havent realized, his autonomy is very random like suddenly he has the urge to take an alchemy class at 3am autonomously, I didnt realize he was taking the class because I thought his beeper called him to police station when I click on him he instead taking an alchemy class no wonder i got charged a set amount of simoleons that night, also he tend to go out of his own only at night, like talking to random passerby at central park in sunset valley from his home or visit another sims' house
    >
    > Maybe it's a bug i dont know, since it only happens to this one particular sim.

Does he have the "Night Owl" trait, or is he a supernatural Sim (werewolf, vampire, etc.)?
    > @MoonlightGraham said:
    > I just discovered that unless Sims who live in the fraternity or sorority house will crash in any available bed. Can I use the "assign bed" feature to make my Sim's fraternity brothers stop sleeping in his bed?

That happened to me, but in The Sims 4. That's basically one of the reasons why my Sims always rent a house while enrolled in university...
    To be honest, my Sims are not very sociable (pretty much like me, by the way).
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited July 2021
    MR2021 wrote: »
    > @MoonlightGraham said:
    > I just discovered that unless Sims who live in the fraternity or sorority house will crash in any available bed. Can I use the "assign bed" feature to make my Sim's fraternity brothers stop sleeping in his bed?

That happened to me, but in The Sims 4. That's basically one of the reasons why my Sims always rent a house while enrolled in university...
    To be honest, my Sims are not very sociable (pretty much like me, by the way).
    In Sims 3, you can assign beds and lock doors. You can do the same at vacation destinations like the Shang Simla or Champs les Sims base camps.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I've found that even with using the assign bed option, other sims will still sleep in the bed. It basically only makes sure the assigned sim will always use that bed, not that someone else won't. Locking the door to everyone except whoever is supposed to be sleeping in the room is a better option. I've been playing with mods for so long, I don't know for sure if that is a game function or a mod function, but I think it's a mod.
    > @IreneSwift said:
    > I've found that even with using the assign bed option, other sims will still sleep in the bed. It basically only makes sure the assigned sim will always use that bed, not that someone else won't. Locking the door to everyone except whoever is supposed to be sleeping in the room is a better option. I've been playing with mods for so long, I don't know for sure if that is a game function or a mod function, but I think it's a mod.

I'm almost sure you're right. When one of my Sims got married, I sent him and his wife to France, but not to explore tombs or collect relics: it was more like a honeymoon. They spent three days there, and it was extremely annoying when they were trying to be alone in one of the bedrooms of the base camp and another Sim simply entered the room while they were flirty... But I guess I got so frustrated with this that I even forgot to lock the door or assign bed... or maybe there was no such option at all, I don't remember exactly.
    Another thing I would like to share: in Generations expansion, your teenagers will get class superlatives upon Graduating, probably based on their traits, skills and school performance.
    For example, my Sims got Most Popular (lilac ribbon), Class Valedictorian (blue ribbon), Most Likely to Take Over the World (red ribbon) and Most Likely to Fulfill Their Lifetime Wish (green ribbon). I know there are more, and I wish these items were available in buydebug... I would love to see the other superlatives!
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I've found that even with using the assign bed option, other sims will still sleep in the bed. It basically only makes sure the assigned sim will always use that bed, not that someone else won't. Locking the door to everyone except whoever is supposed to be sleeping in the room is a better option. I've been playing with mods for so long, I don't know for sure if that is a game function or a mod function, but I think it's a mod.
    I always do both, so I wouldn't know that. And yes, after my first negative experiences traveling and going to university without NRaas mods, I've always used their mods, so you are probably right and it may be a mod option. The advice to lock the door of your room will show up as soon as you arrive at the dorm/fraternity/sorority though. No idea whether it's a mod message or a game one.
    Another thing I would like to share: in Generations expansion, your teenagers will get class superlatives upon Graduating, probably based on their traits, skills and school performance.
    For example, my Sims got Most Popular (lilac ribbon), Class Valedictorian (blue ribbon), Most Likely to Take Over the World (red ribbon) and Most Likely to Fulfill Their Lifetime Wish (green ribbon). I know there are more, and I wish these items were available in buydebug... I would love to see the other superlatives!
    Like "Most likely to stay mediocre", "Most likely to burn down the house", "Most likely to never leave the house"? It's much funnier to just experience those.
    > @Turjan said:
    > I always do both, so I wouldn't know that. And yes, after my first negative experiences traveling and going to university without NRaas mods, I've always used their mods, so you are probably right and it may be a mod option. The advice to lock the door of your room will show up as soon as you arrive at the dorm/fraternity/sorority though. No idea whether it's a mod message or a game one.
    >
    > Like "Most likely to stay mediocre", "Most likely to burn down the house", "Most likely to never leave the house"? It's much funnier to just experience those.

It is funnier to experience those, indeed; on the other hand, I would like to see every other superlative and their colors. It would be a way to know the do's and don'ts of each one of them, since, as far as I know, there is no "guide" available on the Internet about them. To be honest, the fact that this game has so many details and possibilities gives me mixed feelings: I love to discover new things about it, no matter how small; but, at the same time, it seems that few people have experienced those and are willing to share it... Even Carl's guide is far from perfect. Don't get me wrong, it is VERY helpful, but some things are lacking...

And yes; in case you're wondering, I am a completionist hahahaha
    @MR2021 Yeah, even the Carl's Guides have some remarkable omissions.
    I'm playing rotationally, and after you got lots of highschool graduates in your town, you can just look at the inventories of other graduates to find all kinds of ribbons. Can't help you with colors though. As you said, it's a mix of mostly traits, how skilled they are and performance.
    > @Naus said:
    > According to the code, it CAN apply to all beds. There are two tunable values: "GivesBadNightsSleep", a boolean, which needs to be set to true; and "kBadNightSleepBuffChance", a floating point type variable which determines how likely is a bed to give you the "Bad Night Sleep" buff.
    >
    > Unless you're talking about a different buff exclusive to children and teens. Could you show me a picture of the buff so I can research it?

I've already heard people saying "according to the code of this object", but I always get confused... what does that mean? Is there a way to see the code (in an inteligible way, of course, instead of those files with several symbols) of a certain object and know its particularities?
    I'm asking this because I spent many weeks trying to get every single gem cut in every single way; therefore, it required A LOT OF transfiguration. If there is some sort of formula of the game giving you the gem cut you want (or, at least, increasing the odds of the desired outcome), I would love to know. I know that Carter's displays are very complex, though, and I will understand if you can't help me.
  • KeiomestreKeiomestre Posts: 195 Member
    Locking doors exists since the base game. It’s not from mods.
    ..... ..... ..... ..... My favorite Sims 3 family: THE ENFADONHOS!..... ..... ..... .....
    Vgfhu74.jpg
  • irishdragon7irishdragon7 Posts: 124 Member
    > @IreneSwift said:
    > I've found that even with using the assign bed option, other sims will still sleep in the bed. It basically only makes sure the assigned sim will always use that bed, not that someone else won't. Locking the door to everyone except whoever is supposed to be sleeping in the room is a better option. I've been playing with mods for so long, I don't know for sure if that is a game function or a mod function, but I think it's a mod.

I'm almost sure you're right. When one of my Sims got married, I sent him and his wife to France, but not to explore tombs or collect relics: it was more like a honeymoon. They spent three days there, and it was extremely annoying when they were trying to be alone in one of the bedrooms of the base camp and another Sim simply entered the room while they were flirty... But I guess I got so frustrated with this that I even forgot to lock the door or assign bed... or maybe there was no such option at all, I don't remember exactly.

I recently did the same thing but I tried to lock the door at the base camp in France, but that option was not available. I could not even shoo the paparazzi out of the room when my sims were trying to woohoo. I am not running any mods. I have had a lot of issues with mods breaking my game, so I tend to avoid them for now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top