Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 11 is coming

GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
edited June 2021 in Off Topic Chat
Windows 11 will be an pleasant transition for some and and not good for others. Windows 11 will have requirement or two that was never an problem before. Your systems must have TPM 2.0 and capable of using Secure boot and sadly some systems built before an certain time may not have them and therefore Windows 11 will not even install. Also to make it worst it will also come down to what CPU you have and I believe Generation 8 and above for Intel, Rysen 2000+ is the baseline for installation. Dell and other computer makers may get an lot of business soon. MS may have thrown an gauntlet down as it might turn off some customers with these new requirements. Before rushing out an getting an copy if it is not free research what you have to ensure you can install for it will be rolling out late this year and into 2022. I plan on buying new systems anyway and you must ask about those specific requirements as well before plopping down the money.
Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2021
    It also removes several programs/apps in Windows 10 and the Windows Store will have to be used to get those back. It also will not allow for some things that are now possible in Windows 10. And of course you will get that nag back to upgrade to Windows 11 for the next five years as they wind down the Windows 10 which ends support in 2025 just four years away. I hated that nag in Windows 7 to get Windows 10. There are many videos on youtube and by IT people to explain a whole list of removed features, as I stated on my page..Windows 11..less for more. It will be a free update for some, others, no, but think of what you don't want to change about your OS before you run out and get it. Many things are removed.

General changes
    Cortana will no longer be included in the first boot experience or pinned to the Taskbar.
    Desktop wallpaper cannot be roamed to or from device when signed in with a Microsoft account.
    Internet Explorer is disabled. Microsoft Edge is the recommended replacement and includes IE Mode which may be useful in certain scenarios.
    Math Input Panel is removed. Math Recognizer will install on demand and includes the math input control and recognizer. Math inking in apps like OneNote are not impacted by this change.
    News & Interests has evolved. New functionality has been added which can be found by clicking the Widgets icon on the Taskbar.
    Quick Status from the Lock screen and associated settings are removed.
    S Mode is only available now for Windows 11 Home edition.
    Snipping Tool continues to be available but the old design and functionality in the Windows 10 version has been replaced with those of the app previously known as Snip & Sketch.
    Tablet Mode is removed, and new functionality and capability is included for keyboard attach and detach postures.
    Timeline is removed. Some similar functionality is available in Microsoft Edge.
    Touch Keyboard will no longer dock and undock keyboard layouts on screen sizes 18 inches and larger.
    Wallet is removed.

Named groups and folders of apps are no longer supported and the layout is not currently resizable.
    Pinned apps and sites will not migrate when upgrading from Windows 10.
    Live Tiles are no longer available. For glanceable, dynamic content, see the new Widgets feature.
    People is no longer present on the Taskbar.
    Some icons may no longer appear in the System Tray (systray) for upgraded devices including previous customizations.
    Alignment to the bottom of the screen is the only location allowed.
    Apps can no longer customize areas of the Taskbar.
    Finally, the following apps will not be removed on upgrade but will no longer be installed on new devices or when clean-installing Windows 11. They will remain available for download from the Store:

3D Viewer
    OneNote for Windows 10
    Paint 3D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited June 2021
    all that just seems like too much to bother with. I'll stick with Windows 10.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It also removes several programs/apps in Windows 10 and the Windows Store will have to be used to get those back. It also will not allow for some things that are now possible in Windows 10. And of course you will get that nag back to upgrade to Windows 11 for the next five years as they wind down the Windows 10 which ends support in 2025 just four years away. I hated that nag in Windows 7 to get Windows 10. There are many videos on youtube and by IT people to explain a whole list of removed features, as I stated on my page..Windows 11..less for more. It will be a free update for some, others, no, but think of what you don't want to change about your OS before you run out and get it. Many things are removed.

General changes
    Cortana will no longer be included in the first boot experience or pinned to the Taskbar.
    Desktop wallpaper cannot be roamed to or from device when signed in with a Microsoft account.
    Internet Explorer is disabled. Microsoft Edge is the recommended replacement and includes IE Mode which may be useful in certain scenarios.
    Math Input Panel is removed. Math Recognizer will install on demand and includes the math input control and recognizer. Math inking in apps like OneNote are not impacted by this change.
    News & Interests has evolved. New functionality has been added which can be found by clicking the Widgets icon on the Taskbar.
    Snipping Tool continues to be available but the old design and functionality in the Windows 10 version has been replaced with those of the app previously known as Snip & Sketch.
    Tablet Mode is removed, and new functionality and capability is included for keyboard attach and detach postures.
    Touch Keyboard will no longer dock and undock keyboard layouts on screen sizes 18 inches and larger.
    Wallet is removed.

Named groups and folders of apps are no longer supported and the layout is not currently resizable.
    Live Tiles are no longer available. For glanceable, dynamic content, see the new Widgets feature.
    Some icons may no longer appear in the System Tray (systray) for upgraded devices including previous customizations.
    Finally, the following apps will not be removed on upgrade but will no longer be installed on new devices or when clean-installing Windows 11. They will remain available for download from the Store:

3D Viewer
    OneNote for Windows 10
    Paint 3D
    I get what you saying but for some that is not the issue for most people right now the problem is the new requirements as some may have to spend money to get an new systems or parts to use Windows 11. These new requirements came out of the blue as one did not have to meet those two requirements in the past or even the now restrictive need for certain CPUs. I have seven system even 10 generation system and I won't be able to install Win 11 and all seven systems even my laptop qualifies for the free upgrade but now means nothing as they do not even meet the requirements. However, luckily I will be getting an new laptop and desktop when I retire in an couple of years. Yeah, I am still trying to find the options that was easy to find in previous versions prior to Windows 10. All I know computer companies going to get some big business soon thanks to MS.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    I'm interested in the android apps integration. Sadly I won't be able to upgrade bc of my cpu. Guess I will be sticking with bluestacks for now.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
    edited June 2021
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

General changes
    Wallet is removed.

3D Viewer
    OneNote for Windows 10
    Paint 3D
    I get what you saying but for some that is not the issue for most people right now the problem is the new requirements as some may have to spend money to get an new systems or parts to use Windows 11. These new requirements came out of the blue as one did not have to meet those two requirements in the past or even the now restrictive need for certain CPUs. I have seven system even 10 generation system and I won't be able to install Win 11 and all seven systems even my laptop qualifies for the free upgrade but now means nothing as they do not even meet the requirements. However, luckily I will be getting an new laptop and desktop when I retire in an couple of years. Yeah, I am still trying to find the options that was easy to find in previous versions prior to Windows 10. All I know computer companies going to get some big business soon thanks to MS.

Yeah, remember when MS said Windows 10 would be the last OS and would be updated forever. I told folks then it was hogwash but they didn't believe me, just like they won't believe TS4 will be replaced by many more versions of The Sims. EA and MS have a lot in common don't they. Examples: Turning the PC OS into an Android/tablet with less and less features for those of us who used many of their older features way back in XP...those are long gone but remembered. More money for a new OS and machine just so we can connect and sync android phones easier. Might as well use a smart phone if my pc is going to be the same... Much like how TS4 is a watered down version of it's former self.. The Sims.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited June 2021

General changes
    Wallet is removed.

3D Viewer
    OneNote for Windows 10
    Paint 3D

Yeah, remember when MS said Windows 10 would be the last OS and would be updated forever. I told folks then it was hogwash but they didn't believe me, just like they won't believe TS4 will be replaced by many more versions of The Sims. EA and MS have a lot in common don't they. Examples: Turning the PC OS into an Android/tablet with less and less features for those of us who used many of their older features way back in XP...those are long gone but remembered. More money for a new OS and machine just so we can connect and sync android phones easier. Might as well use a smart phone if my pc is going to be the same... Much like how TS4 is a watered down version of it's former self.. The Sims.

Yes, the way of the dinosaur and I guess MS busted an lot of bubbles with this move and they will get an lot heat for it as launch day gets closer. But on the CPU side that may be adjusted to include more older CPUs like the 6th generation chip from Intel but again that is just an rumor and hope it is true as I love my i7 6700K Even though some of those chips are older does not necessarily mean they can't do to up to date operations. I feel sorry for folks who ran out and got new systems only to find out they may not be able to run Win 11. The thing now is to wait and see what can actually run Win 11 and do not take that salesperson word for sometimes they do not know themselves but will say it does just to make an sale.
    edited June 2021

General changes
    Wallet is removed.

3D Viewer
    OneNote for Windows 10
    Paint 3D

Yes, the way of the dinosaur and I guess MS busted an lot of bubbles with this move and they will get an lot heat for it as launch day gets closer. But on the CPU side that may be adjusted to include more older CPUs like the 6th generation chip from Intel but again that is just an rumor and hope it is true as I love my i7 6700K Even though some of those chips are older does not necessarily mean they can't do to up to date operations. I feel sorry for folks who ran out and got new systems only to find out they may not be able to run Win 11. The thing now is to wait and see what can actually run Win 11 and do not take that salesperson word for sometimes they do not know themselves but will say it does just to make an sale.

Well, to some it's not just having to buy a better machine, some us already have one because some of our older systems couldn't run Windows 10 either. But things like the taskbar will be locked at the bottom, no S link feature, not being able to resize app folders or customize them. Some apps and other things not migrating over to a new Windows 11. I didn't like live tiles but that was one reason they built Windows 8...some people do like their live tiles I removed them as soon as I figure out how to shrink and remove stuff from the start menu. Some people's icons of particular apps or programs will no longer appear in the taskbar...or be able to be pinned to the task bar. Some didn't like One Note in Windows 10 some people do, it's gone. Paint 3D was a favorite of many (and so is simple MS paint) but those are gone unless you want to have to enable the MS store and get 3D paint back and that means leaving it open to update (not disabled) so it can always update any store app. It's those annoying things like that, that makes some of us wish they would just improve Windows 7 and bring it back instead of reshuffling Windows 8 over and over into Windows 10, and Windows 11 just so the Android can be a thing with MS. I remember when MS said they needed every one on the same system for security reasons..and dumped Windows 7..only to see that wasn't the real reason was it, since they are releasing yet again another new OS and not everyone will actually be using the same OS again..so it was all about the data mining just like it will be with Windows 11, and was never about security reasons.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Things like this make me wish I weren't too lazy to switch to Linux. Literally all my relatives have been expounding the virtues of Linux for actual decades already. But it would take a lot for me to get off my stump and do something more effortful despite knowing all the benefits and advantages of Linux because I want my PC experience handed to me. :(
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    Things like this make me wish I weren't too lazy to switch to Linux. Literally all my relatives have been expounding the virtues of Linux for actual decades already. But it would take a lot for me to get off my stump and do something more effortful despite knowing all the benefits and advantages of Linux because I want my PC experience handed to me. :(

Yeah me too and I still have copies of Red Hat and some other versions but what so sad I never bothered to load them up.

The new OS is also all about Tik Tok, which MS was trying to buy from China a few months ago. I don't recall if they did or not. But think of all that data mining MS can do with such an app. They are going to make it much easier to load into Tik Tok, right from the pc so of course they needed a new OS to gather all your data about that and other things. There is always data mining that drives these changes rather than making life easier for somene, it's always about the data and what MS and or Google can do with it that we don't even know about.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,645 Member
    I wonder if Microsoft will try to force the upgrade on us like they did with Win 10.
    Thankfully one of my clients works in IT, and my old win 8.1 started to updated while he was there and I quickly shut it down. He installed something called Never 10 on it, so it protected me from the forced update.
    Since then I have bought a new laptop with Win 10 on it, and I like it. But that was sneaky the way they went about that the last time around.
    MLgj4Vx.png