Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Bills Are CRAZY!

Ok, so I haven't played in a really long time, but I honestly don't remember the bills being this high. My sims just had their power turned off, and I looked at the bill so I can pay it, and it's $21,000. What the actual living heck. Why is it so high? I almost died. rofl That's all of their savings. Are there any mods out there that makes the bills lower, more realistic?
epngF25.png
It's up to Nancy!
My YouTube!

Comments

• Options
    LehmanLegacyLehmanLegacy Posts: 176 Member
    I believe there was a tweak a while back to fix the bills, as they were very very low after the Eco-Living update.

My sim only has bills up to $2,500 and they live in a starter home they’ve slowly been building up.. If you have MC Command Centre you can edit the bills by percentage to either increase or decrease.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,066 Member
    Did you had your sims to have a vacation at somewhere`?

I have often that bugged bills thing after vacation.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I believe there was a tweak a while back to fix the bills, as they were very very low after the Eco-Living update.

My sim only has bills up to $2,500 and they live in a starter home they’ve slowly been building up.. If you have MC Command Centre you can edit the bills by percentage to either increase or decrease.

Why didn't I think of MCCC? Thanks!
    Did you had your sims to have a vacation at somewhere`?

I have often that bugged bills thing after vacation.

They just got back from a vacation. So there's a glitch or bug with that. Okay, I didn't know. Thanks for that info!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    You call THIS crazy? I pay 300k+ for my house :-)
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,954 Member
    The bills generally seem to be fair, so maybe wait a week or so in-game to see if they normalize after the vacation. Sometimes vacations lead to double bills.
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    You call THIS crazy? I pay 300k+ for my house :-)

Haha - how did you get your weekly bills that high? Your house must be more worth than 10 million.

• Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Ok, so I haven't played in a really long time, but I honestly don't remember the bills being this high. My sims just had their power turned off, and I looked at the bill so I can pay it, and it's $21,000. What the actual living heck. Why is it so high? I almost died. rofl That's all of their savings. Are there any mods out there that makes the bills lower, more realistic?

21k? that's nothing. i had bills more than 2.1m at one point and then made a few adjustments to get it around 1.8m. So don't go crazy getting everything, with 4 floors above and 4 basement floors, big swimming pools, multiple vaults and trinkets of Selvadorada on display. The price is going to be astronomical in a real hurry.

I like that it can really sting the more cocky you get.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,738 Member
    edited July 2021
    I think bills can sometimes be high if you load into a household that you have not played for a while. Check if the bills are the same after a week.

Otherwise, bills are based on how much expensive things you own, that includes things in your household inventory. So check your household inventory so you don't have a lot of expensive items in your sims inventory and their household inventory.
  • Options
    Hoverael wrote: »

21k? that's nothing. i had bills more than 2.1m at one point and then made a few adjustments to get it around 1.8m. So don't go crazy getting everything, with 4 floors above and 4 basement floors, big swimming pools, multiple vaults and trinkets of Selvadorada on display. The price is going to be astronomical in a real hurry.

@Hoverael How much is your sims property worth? 30 - 40 million? And how can your sims make 2 million in a week to pay such bills? My sims live on a million dollar property, but their bills are only around 60k each week and it's no problem to pay them without cheating, but I think 2 million is too much.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I increased my bills by 50% using MCCC because I actually think they are not high enough. Maybe it depends on house size? I'm not sure.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    haneul wrote: »

@Hoverael How much is your sims property worth? 30 - 40 million? And how can your sims make 2 million in a week to pay such bills? My sims live on a million dollar property, but their bills are only around 60k each week and it's no problem to pay them without cheating, but I think 2 million is too much.

Nope, it was the default 64x64 lot in Del Sol Valley, it started out as a three floor house, removed the small pool in the isolated tower and converted it into a spa and relaxation area. I added a lot of stuff and had 12 money trees. I then added fences and added a roller rink, basketball court and some eco stuff like water collectors and big windmills in addition to the roof solar panels.

After a while i expanded downward by two floors with a big swimming pool in the second basement floor, i also added a good number of other activities including a utility room (woodworking table, flower making table, candle making, robotics and so forth), two bedrooms, a extra bathroom, a single vault for money, a small gymnasium, a custom built vault for other valuables, a full sized laboratory that includes the invention fabricator. As more packs unlocked, i added more down. I also connected the isolated tower with the spa stuff to the second basement floor.

The house is full of very expensive stuff, all fully upgraded with plenty of columns, windows, paintings of various value. I converted the big bathroom on the first floor and the room connecting it into a small library and a music room. the main are next to the cubed waterfalls i have some bar games set down and a rocking chair nearby. The original vault location was turned into a place where one can paint pictures or a mural.

the third floor is the same L shaped walkway but it had some other musical items like the karaoke machine, PODIS, standing Microphone and Pipe Organ. I also have a gaming mat up there as well.

the second main floor is hardly changed in layout, but i re did the kitchen with a chef station and a stove, near that i have a cupcake maker, and washing and drying machines.

The mixology station is still in the corner and the computer as well behind the stairs to the third floor. the center of the layout is a dining table and another bar game near that. I have two extra sitting areas, one is the main living space near the bathroom, the other is a sitting area around around a fireplace near the main door.

The household inventory is empty.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited July 2021

Don't use EA appliances plumbing or lighting in your home. Use CC instead and cut your sims bills down considerably. EA has unrealistic levels for what you use in power and water. If you live in an apartment you don't pay for heat or water in real life. I don't have a water or heat bill because it's in the cost of my apartment's rent every month.

The Devs need to change things like that. They need to change the amount of water and power plumbing lighting and appliances use. Modern plumbing, appliances and lighting use considerably fewer resources than their older counterparts. For example, my apartment complex this summer replaced our monstrous energy-consuming AC units with something with a high Energy Star rating. I think they got too many complaints in the past years with AC Units breaking and people not having AC in their apartment because it broke and Maintenance workers having one plumb of a time to find parts and fix it. The Devs should have added Energy Star Rated appliances and lighting into the game with Eco Lifestyle as a way for players to create a more positive eco-footprint in the game and the ability without CC to cut down bills to a more realistic cost..

https://www.energystar.gov/products?s=mega
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    @Hoverael But how do you pay 2 million a week in bills and how much is the house worth because that really seems obscene/broken to me. Like I said, my sims' bills are only 60k (and they have like 20k beds and lots of other expensive CC) and their main house is worth around a million. :o Because even with what you've said, it doesn't sound possible for things to be that expensive unless you have 10-20 millions worth of artifacts from Selvadorada.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,045 Member
    edited July 2021
    yeah my legacy has about 100 000 bills out of nowhere all just lot taxes no water or electricity stuff

though i think it might be because i put ridiculous amount of money in their vault just now o_O didn't think that counts towards lot taxes

oh and yeah. they have selvadorada stuff also

maybe that is why

...oh and yeah i have paintings in household inventory cause my sim is trying to paint all of them well now that makes sense... dang it punished for being talented
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    I start to freak out if the weekly bill for any given sim goes past a thousand or two...

Keep them in pretty small low clutter homes with a lot of solar panels and a dew collector and if I can pull it off-grid. My 'real world' home is "electrically off-grid" as Sims defines it with solar and battery backup and excess sold to the grid (true off grid would give me no ability to sell back, but you can sell back in Sims if you have stored energy so thus - I meet the Sims 4 definition).

I'm not sure how I could even manage to have some of the bills some people are mentioning. But I guess if you put out enough stuff that will do it.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    desnpdesnp Posts: 29 Member

Nope, it was the default 64x64 lot in Del Sol Valley, it started out as a three floor house, removed the small pool in the isolated tower and converted it into a spa and relaxation area. I added a lot of stuff and had 12 money trees. I then added fences and added a roller rink, basketball court and some eco stuff like water collectors and big windmills in addition to the roof solar panels.

After a while i expanded downward by two floors with a big swimming pool in the second basement floor, i also added a good number of other activities including a utility room (woodworking table, flower making table, candle making, robotics and so forth), two bedrooms, a extra bathroom, a single vault for money, a small gymnasium, a custom built vault for other valuables, a full sized laboratory that includes the invention fabricator. As more packs unlocked, i added more down. I also connected the isolated tower with the spa stuff to the second basement floor.

The house is full of very expensive stuff, all fully upgraded with plenty of columns, windows, paintings of various value. I converted the big bathroom on the first floor and the room connecting it into a small library and a music room. the main are next to the cubed waterfalls i have some bar games set down and a rocking chair nearby. The original vault location was turned into a place where one can paint pictures or a mural.

the third floor is the same L shaped walkway but it had some other musical items like the karaoke machine, PODIS, standing Microphone and Pipe Organ. I also have a gaming mat up there as well.

the second main floor is hardly changed in layout, but i re did the kitchen with a chef station and a stove, near that i have a cupcake maker, and washing and drying machines.

The mixology station is still in the corner and the computer as well behind the stairs to the third floor. the center of the layout is a dining table and another bar game near that. I have two extra sitting areas, one is the main living space near the bathroom, the other is a sitting area around around a fireplace near the main door.

The household inventory is empty.

insane!!!!
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    This is the kind of situation where I do use cheats. I understand some people were wanting a harder game. I would also like more to do. If however I think that bills are too high or if ten objects break in a row or one of the sims keeps buying sandwiches from a vending machine when I don't want them to, in cases like those I will use the cheats and not feel at all bad about it. If my sims seem to get double-billed on vacation, I'll offset it. Usually I use Kaching for that. Motherlode is one I usually only use for designing homes or occasional situations like very wealthy sims getting interest or a high net worth divorce.

Anyway, I use cheats to fix situations like billing that I think is too high and I don't mind doing so. I'm not looking for a totally easy game but I know some players want much higher bills. I'm ok with having my sims accumulate Simoleons, I just want more for them to do with it.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Bills are too low in this game IMHO; but of course using cheats and / or having thousands of Simolions worth of stuff in your household inventory ups the bills a lot.

That's one thing you have to remember if you use money cheats or turn on FreeRealestate to move before your Sims has the income to sustain themselves.

I don't think I have ever struggled with money in this game since before Vampires came out. You literally have to cheat to NOT be a millionaire before becoming an elder in the game.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    desnp wrote: »

Nope, it was the default 64x64 lot in Del Sol Valley...

insane!!!!

Well if you are going to for the cake, you may as well go for the whole thing on the matter.

it might have been a bug or glitch from before when it was bugged, but every other lot in that same save was all adjusted, so that one would have been as well. Later today once the sims sessions buggers off and the 143 error with it, i can do back and see what else to do to try remove some of the bills.

i'm wondering if its one of those stupid naps at play? Like when you haven't met the requirements on something and get extra on your bills. Maybe i can find the culprit elsewhere as well.
  • Options
    susannesimssusannesims Posts: 128 Member
    Turn on autolights in your house :P Not sure if this is base game, but at least with eco lifestyle your energy consumption affects your bills now

Although it sounds like from earlier comments that a vacation was the culprit here
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    drakharis wrote: »

If you live in an apartment you don't pay for heat or water in real life. I don't have a water or heat bill because it's in the cost of my apartment's rent every month.
    Well it depends on th country I guess, I have a separate electricity bill and most people I know have a separate water bill too.
    I personally like that we have to pay for utilities in apartments now — some apartments are way too cheap.

• Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    For a moment, I thought you were referring to real life and I was getting mad at that statement.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    My sims never have bills over $5000, and often they are less than $1000. It must be what is kept on your lot, family inventory, and individual sims inventories making it so high.
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    From my own experience the bills had less to do with the electricity used or water but much more to do with the lot value and how much is in the Sims inventory and household inventory (the build mode one)

I had a family getting 27k bills and I checked their household inventory which was packed with seeds from a gnome that was in their personal inventory. I think that added up to about 15k worth the seeds. I also forgot to sell their furniture when they moved so it was all in the inventory as well. Once I deleted it the bills were cut in half. The lot itself is worth a lot so I expect the bills to be higher just not as high as they were.

Getting the frugal sim reward will also bring them down. Some eco life items give a bill reduction but I've found it is most often the lot value and how much is in the inventory. My sims returned with treasure from Salvedorea and that week they had high bills because, again, the inventory shot up by 20 grand in the value of the treasure.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited July 2021
    somewhsome wrote: »
    drakharis wrote: »

If you live in an apartment you don't pay for heat or water in real life. I don't have a water or heat bill because it's in the cost of my apartment's rent every month.
    Well it depends on th country I guess, I have a separate electricity bill and most people I know have a separate water bill too.
    I personally like that we have to pay for utilities in apartments now — some apartments are way too cheap.

We live in a Rental with included heat and water (and basic cable) but not included electricity or broadband. Some rentals (depending on landlord company) have none of these included (as far as I know electricity is never included here in Sweden).

If you live in an apartment that is not a rental, usually no appliances are included, period; you pay for everything like if you were living in a house.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    It depends on the value of the lot including the Sims inventory. I tested it. I often play rags to riches. In the beginning my Sims have no money and no furniture. The bill increases with every single piece you add. It makes no sense getting a higher bill when the Sim lives off the grid in a tent and only has some plants and a market table to earn money. He has no toilet, only a bush, and collects water from the river.
    Higher bills for only having a better bed or table is not realistic and doesn't make sense.