Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why LGBT Representation Is Important In Gaming.

2...Next

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    NOTE: I.D.K. Enough about non binary to have an opinion on it. Please inform me in the comments if you are knowledgeable.

I don't know enough about non-binary either. Can someone explain it please?

LGBTQIA representation is important, but changing the minds of powerful governments who tightly control their citizen's speech and ideas through the power of information would take an incredible global initiative that would involve more than just game developers. Plus you know, its gotta be monetarily beneficial to them above all else.

According to the Bible, that would be the end times attempt by Satan to push for a one world government that rejects God. :)

PS: Also according to the Bible, that doesn't end well either.... *shrug*

• dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I wish they would stop politicizing The Sims. The reason TS4 plums so much is because it tries to be a safe space for any and everyone. Can‘t have love portions because it offends A, can‘t get sims pregnant while abducted by aliens because it offends B, can‘t have sexual orientation in the game because straight sims offend C and gay sims offend D. People are just looking for things to be offended about. It‘s so annoying. I just want to play a game. I don’t want to be „educated“.
  • BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    NOTE: I.D.K. Enough about non binary to have an opinion on it. Please inform me in the comments if you are knowledgeable.

LGBTQIA representation is important, but changing the minds of powerful governments who tightly control their citizen's speech and ideas through the power of information would take an incredible global initiative that would involve more than just game developers. Plus you know, its gotta be monetarily beneficial to them above all else.

According to the Bible, that would be the end times attempt by Satan to push for a one world government that rejects God. :)

- Non-binary is when someone doesn't identify with the gender binary and feels uncomfortable being addressed as a boy or a girl.
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    BookBear wrote: »

- Non-binary is when someone doesn't identify with the gender binary and feels uncomfortable being addressed as a boy or a girl.

Ah, I see! Could someone give examples of what they are comfortable being addressed as? Isn't this a mental issue as well?

• BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    BookBear wrote: »

Ah, I see! Could someone give examples of what they are comfortable being addressed as? Isn't this a mental issue as well?

It really depends per person I think but they/them works in general. :smile:
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I make it a rule to respect every person who has not done something to lose that respect. Women, men, gay people, straight people, all races. I don't disregard a race of people because of the choices of their government either. We are all human first before we are anything else. This constant reminder of our differences invites animosity and discourse, always leaving someone feeling like they are unrepresented. I do not use social media for that reason. Most social media outlets lean in one direction and attempt to guide the conversation in such a way that disallows individual thought. I personally enjoy learning about other cultures through gaming or through forums where individuals can speak about their culture and lifestyle individually. The Sims is now and always has been especially enjoyable to me because you can tailor your world to your own liking. You do not have to feel guilty about having no gay people or having all gay people or a mix of both. Maybe you want your sims to be mostly dark-skinned, maybe not. You don't have to worry about offending anyone if all your males dress as women and at the same time you don't have to worry about being offended if someone still uses pink and blue for their childrens' bedrooms either. I don't know why once again someone has to bring up this issue (on Twitter of course) again. Can't they just let us play happily in our little worlds and let it be?
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Sometimes I think that if EA/Maxis didn't shout out their backing for all these issues so loudly and put them in quietly, more players in those countries might have been able to play it.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    You will note USA, UK, France and Australia aren't in the Top 5 of the safest place.

1. Canada
    2. The Netherlands
    3. Sweden
    4. Malta
    5. Portugal

Canada has an excellent reputation for preserving human rights in general. Whether you are talking minority rights, women's rights and of course LBGTQIA+ rights. They allowed LBGTQ marriages long before America. When I lived in the heart of Greenwich Village years ago my roommate and I would go out with our neighbours as a group to go shopping because of the hate crime against the LBGTQIA+ community at the time in NYC. Greenwich Village was NYC's epicentre of those hate crimes. It still haunts me how many of our neighbours were victims of such horrific violent attacks. Nobody should be attacked bullied tortured or even killed because they are not like the majority of people around them. I hope one day America really lives up to her Constitution and everybody is treated with equality and decency we all deserve.

Yes, it's very important that the LBGTQIA+ are represented with respect.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Actually, Canadians help all types of people, regardless of race, religion, gender or disablilities. Also, we have an excellent health care. We care more than even our American neighbors.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member

Hi, I'm genderfluid, classified as non-binary because we move in between the gender expressions rather than have a solidified one between the genders, sometimes gradually, sometimes instantaneously, and the amount of time varies between how I feel, including the intensity of what gender I'd like to ID as. I don't speak for all binaries but I can speak for the genderfluid subsection of the nonbinary.

Identifying as genderfluid doesn't necessarily translate to some sort of mental issue within me, though it often coincides with gender dysphoria (but not always). It basically means, one day, I'd like to cover my hair up with a hat, dress like a man, and be addressed as a he and ID'd as a guy, while other days, I'd want to wear a skirt and embrace my feminine side and how I was born and raised as a biological female and people refer to me as a she. There is some dysphoria involved, sure, but it's not the medical definition of it where it impacts my overall well-being: it's like how ADHD can manifest in anyone but people don't get diagnosed with it because it's not clinically negatively affecting their daily lives.

I'm also one of the few people who don't really prefer to be referred to as "they/them" (because I interpret as a collective and it implies both or ambiguous gender when that's not my identity) but rather "he/him" or "she/her", making me also pretty close to being bigender (but I don't want to express both at the same time).
    A1hnP0t.png
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    @Ray_Trace If I may ask you (and maybe other people have the same question), does being non-binary to you make you want to change your biological gender, like with surgery, or does your idea of changing genders have to do more with the societies stereotypes of male and female like the clothing you wear, the pronouns used etc.?
    Also do you know if most non-binary people feel fine in their bodies/biological genders?

Sorry if this is too personal but I don't know anyone who's non-binary and since we are talking about awareness I thought I'd ask. You don't have to answer though.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    No worries, I'm perfectly fine talking about my experience!

How I view it is that I don't want to change my biological gender with surgery, no. I'm actually rather content with my form and I wouldn't induce any changes to it: the most I'd do is get a boy's haircut if I'm feeling it. I will say that some do want biological change, however, but since that's not my experience, I can't say further on that matter.

I'd say it's absolutely more of addressing the latter societal stereotypes, yeah. Clothing, how I'd like to be addressed, how I'd like to present myself (either online or irl), how people view me, those are the things I'd like changed about myself rather than inducing physical alterations.

I'm not sure if most NBs feel fine because it's difficult to verify what everyone thinks in a highly broad and diverse school of thought and how bothered they are by it. I think most are content with their bodies but just want maybe a minor tweak here and there? Well, that's my opinion on myself and I can't project myself onto other people. In my perspective, surgery is pretty unfeasible for genderfluids because those are long-term changes and we're not hugely long-term people who would seek out surgeries regularly. Androgynous surgeries could be an option for genderfluids so they can more easily change into the apparel they want but personally, not something I'd want to pursue either.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited May 2021
    I don't want sexuality. I love that the game makes no difference between sims at all. A husband and wife are no different from a husband and husband, which is positive representation to me.

Saw a petition this other day. They wanted transgender sims to have different options. I try to understand transgender, as my brother is openly this FTM. But me and him agree, it is annoying to hear "trans male" "trans female," and downright trying to do a positive difference, when no difference is the most positive. Open to hear other opinions, no argument please, I like seeing a broader picture.

Agree, one of my favorite parts about the Sims is that there is no concept of sexuality, sims can just woohoo with whoever they wanna woohoo with and it's not a big deal.

Also agree on the trans part - I'd consider it more insulting to count trans as a separate gender than just including trans people in their respective categories (male or female)? I feel like representing trans people in this game is really difficult, because if I did want a sim to be trans I'd simply take them into CAS, click female, give them a new look and be done with it. How can you show that transition visually without it being insulting in some way
    This lifestyle actually dates back to the Ancient times. So, basically nothing new.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    This lifestyle actually dates back to the Ancient times. So, basically nothing new.
    Yeah the Bible talks about it in ancient times too. Actually the Bible is more open with sex education than some parents are. There are some quite juicy topics that get discussed in it. Joseph was always my favorite story.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    My favorite one was the Song of Solomon. That one is like a steamy romance novel. There's so much interesting stories in the book that makes modern day books lame.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Also some ancient Greek philosophers documented there being 3 genders in ancient Greece. "Male", "Female" and "In-Between".
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    My favorite one was the Song of Solomon. That one is like a steamy romance novel. There's so much interesting stories in the book that makes modern day books lame.
    So true I love reading it. Sims and Will Wright did bring out an important question of what kind of God would we be to our Sims? In order for it to be a true sandbox game there needs to be different paths our Sims to take. Sims is very educational with romance but there has been a question of romance during rabbit holes. Maybe it would be better if woohoo and kissing were not hidden in a rabbit hole because realizing narration from the imagination well can give kids the wrong information on how romance works. Like explaining alien pregnancy in the Sims with the history of male pregnancy is something if a parent doesn't explain to kids, they may get inaccurate information about it from a stranger on the internet. Sims I feel has been a positive education tool but could always use improvements too in that area. Just glad the spaced apart kissing got fixed because that would have scared kids. It was scary seeing babies grow to kids in the beginning too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller