Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help with Configurable Stairs

rachluvsdaverachluvsdave Posts: 80 Member
I have placed stairs in a three by two tile area and they kind of spiral up three times. I feel like they should work but for some reason the sim is not able to use them. I am hoping someone has a fix for this... It may just be a limitation of the game but I could have sworn when they first announced configurable stairs they showed them off as being able to zig-zag like this and be functional. I have uploaded pictures and included the imgur link.https://imgur.com/a/8gt5tUB

Comments

• PriestessDreadfulPriestessDreadful Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2021
    Hmm, I'm really not sure.

Whilst this SHOULDN'T make any difference, have you tried it with railings?

Is the Sim refusing to use the stairs at all? I.e. they won't even take the first landing or anything, not even the first step?

I note your comment on the pictures that there is definitely a landing at the top. I'm assuming there is nothing blocking the landing or anything like that? No sloping roof or something above the landing that might be too low? (I don't know if this is a thing, I'm making guesses).
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I've made a lot of this type of design for the stairs. Just that, do you happened to place any wall decoration next to the stairs? How about the ceiling lamp? The Sims routing can be quite weird sometime.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • DeanXeLDeanXeL Posts: 289 Member
    So, this workaround is needed to make stairs functional inside loft rooms. If you use platforms, this won't work, since stairs remove the floor/ceiling, but platforms don't. So if you build a platform too close to an upstairs floor, it will never work. Think about that and try again :)

If it doesn't work still, feel free to upload and I'll have a look at it for you!
  • rachluvsdaverachluvsdave Posts: 80 Member
    x4m1r4 wrote: »
    I've made a lot of this type of design for the stairs. Just that, do you happened to place any wall decoration next to the stairs? How about the ceiling lamp? The Sims routing can be quite weird sometime.

@x4m1r4 I tried that. Have you successfully made stairs that have three zig-zags? I don't know the proper terminology so hopefully that explains it. The imgur link in the original post show exactly what I'm talking about. I just tried recreating it on another lot and it won't even allow me to place the stairs inside an enclosed area. It says "Cannot intersect foundations." I think it may be a game limitation. The weird thing is that it let me place the stairs in the house in the first place because I can't recreate it on another lot.
    DeanXeL wrote: »
    So, this workaround is needed to make stairs functional inside loft rooms. If you use platforms, this won't work, since stairs remove the floor/ceiling, but platforms don't. So if you build a platform too close to an upstairs floor, it will never work. Think about that and try again :)

If it doesn't work still, feel free to upload and I'll have a look at it for you!

@DeanXeL this is very interesting but doesn't work for my particular problem. That stair glitch is really annoying. Another workaround that works is moving the stairs temporarily and then deleting the "invisible" fence piece that is blocking the sim from walking the up the stairs. I will have to try working with the platform thing more and see if I can get it to work. I can also upload it to the gallery if you're interested in having a look? I'm curious if the stairs will even upload since it's not functional. My gallery id is simmingmommy. I'll try to mess with it a for a little bit and then upload it to the gallery to see if anyone wants to have a look.

Thank you all for the help! It may be a lost cause, though. :#
    Sure, feel free! I'd love to help

The difference between the platform and the 'invisible fence' workaround is that the 'invisible fence' one is based on completely destroying the room construct, while the platform circumvents the problem of the floor removing no longer working. So the platform one keeps your loft a room, hence, no problems with seasons, clipping friezes etc. when the loft is connected to an outside wall ;-)
    edited June 2021
    Oh wait a minute, I know that bug... It's the 'can't intersect foundation' bug. (try placing the staircase in a ground floor room, you'll see...)

Highest level height works:
    m2UDV7O.png

Or medium level height with a small gap:
    cXwOTzB.png

lowest level height will have a tightly wound staircase that glitches, can be placed outside or on a first floor (not functional), but not in a ground floor room and as far as I know, there is no solution for it yet, sorry :(

Edit: no solution is not ENTIRELY true:
    b1fwCDB.png
    You can use a 3 ticks high platform to put the staircase on. (Not higher or your sims cannot walk on it anymore due to the ceiling-bump/open loft glitch thing nowadays). I can't do lower properly either with a tightly wound staircase without fiddling a lot. I used a full platform for every increase, but 2 diagonals would work just as well. You can replace the platform sides on the 'steps' with half walls if you like, but not the ones under the staircase, unless you use a floating one. (will get rid of walls under staircase)

I hope this at least provides SOME options? :)
    That's what I figured. Thank you for taking time to check into it! It makes sense why it doesn't work now. I'll just have to use a ladder for this particular house. I just loved the look of the stairs.
    edited June 2021
    @rachluvsdave I edited the above post with a possible workaround (platform) if your up for it...
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    x4m1r4 wrote: »

@x4m1r4 I tried that. Have you successfully made stairs that have three zig-zags? I don't know the proper terminology so hopefully that explains it. The imgur link in the original post show exactly what I'm talking about. I just tried recreating it on another lot and it won't even allow me to place the stairs inside an enclosed area. It says "Cannot intersect foundations." I think it may be a game limitation. The weird thing is that it let me place the stairs in the house in the first place because I can't recreate it on another lot.

Yes. In fact, not only 3 layers of zig-zags but a lot since I use the tallest wall. :D

Would it be possible if you recreate it outside the room and see if it's actually working? Else, it could be a bug.
    OID:- x4m1r4
    @x4m1r4 as I mentioned, you can make it outside and place it inside on the first floor, you can't place it on the ground floor inside ("can't intersect foundation") and the stairs are never functional inside, only out. I did already post a workaround, the only one I know of/can think of for a low level heights. You CAN actually use the staircase for higher level heights. It's a known (and reported) bug.