Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sad moments in TS4--your #1 most memorable?

I know it's just a video game, but let's face it, sometimes we can get a bit attached to our Sims--what is your saddest memory? Did your favorite Sim pass away? Or did something else happen?

When I was a total newb to the game, I only played one couple. I had no idea that aging was even a thing (and was turned on by default) until they started to age up. And then the inevitable happened---the first Sim I had ever created died of old age. I was devastated! How could this happen? It wasn't until later that I realized that 1) aging can be turned off 2) she was in my library, I could bring her back any time I wanted lol Still though, it bummed me out for at least a couple of days...

Comments

• Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    edited June 2021
    Working on a build for nearly 2 hours when the computer decides to reboot and feeling numb inside because of forgetting to save before the disaster hit.

I never went back to that file because I was so mad at loosing all that work when I recovered from the numbness.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Wrenry wrote: »
    Working on a build for nearly 2 hours when the computer decides to reboot and feeling numb inside because of forgetting to save.

I never went back to that file because I was so mad at loosing all that work when I recovered from the numbness.

I can totally understand that, I probably wouldn't either
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,578 Member
    Playing with aging on can get pretty sad. I always use a long life cycle so it's a lot more gradual (and realistic to me). Eventually the time comes though and watching familiar Sims start fading from the world is a bit sad.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,545 Member
    This one is still the saddest to happen in my game.
    It's one thing to create a sim in cas and give them a tragic background story.
    TS4CAS2014-08-3008-55-01-59.png

Her parents died when she was young and she had no other family that she knew of.
    Later, family would be found, but after they died and she was sought out for the inheritance.

But it's another thing to finally get toddlers and decide you are going to age back all your sims and play out their backstories.
    TS4_x64%202018-08-08%2008-21-23-66.png

TS4_x64%202018-08-08%2000-22-34-08.png

The sad thing was I had become very fond of Olivia's parents, but I had to invent how they were to die according to her story.
    TS4_x64%202018-08-12%2020-57-17-71.png

TS4_x64%202018-08-12%2021-46-44-11.png

TS4_x64%202018-08-12%2021-51-20-04.png

It didn't occur through natural game play, but it was still sad to me because their happier moments were natural game play.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    Watching the emo girl cry in her dorm room autonomously many times. Girl, I can relate!

It also makes me a bit sad and also relaxed when it's raining or storming while the classical piano music is playing and my Sim is drinking coffee alone.

I haven't had any Sims die yet in my current and only one save. But I'll surely get sad when it will happen. I play aging off and only age them when I feel like it's time.
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    edited June 2021
    Because the deaths of old age are so gentle in this game (the Sim even makes a "so long" gesture and greets the Grim Reaper before collapsing!), and the game states that the Sim is in a "better place" after you release their spirit (I don't keep ghosts around on residential lots, they're annoying), they don't bother me for the most part. However, I'm doing the 100 Baby Challenge, and once the earliest generation starts to die off from old age, it *never really ends*, because there are so many members of the family, and they're all aging (except for the matriarch, who only ages when not pregnant). At most, you get a few days of reprieve before you get that dreaded phone call again: "[Sim] has passed away. I thought you would want to know."

It's almost hilarious how sad it is, but...everyone is affected. Including the children who never met all of their aunts and uncles. Even the *toddlers* become Very Sad as soon as they age up from babies, if the call came while they were babies. The only one who is frequently unaffected by the moodlet is the matriarch, who's not just happy because she recently had a baby, but also because she's pregnant again (I dread the possibility of getting a matriarch with the Hates Children trait).

Most of the other deaths don't bother me on an individual level, because they're rather cartoonish and slapstick. However, I've finally decided that I cannot stand to do any challenges that require *me* to arrange a Sim's death. That's too depressing and it makes me feel horrible. If they're going to die, I rather it be because it's something they chose to do--or an act of "God" (i.e. RNG deciding that they're going to die of an emotion)--not because I told them to do it.

So...yeah, I can't really settle on one saddest moment, but it makes me sad to see all of my Sims constantly sad because another member of their enormous family has kicked the bucket.

ETA: I don't have Parenthood, but some of those chance cards are *cruel*. I've seen it in playthroughs. My heart breaks right along with the kids' and teens' when their crush not only rejects them, but *laughs* at them along with the whole class. *Ouch*.
  • Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2021
    My saddest was my first sim death, a young mother.

She took her daughter to visit my brother's mermaid family at the beach, to work on her social aspiration. While the girl was chatting with the mermaids, the mother made the foolish decision to go swimming. I didn't even know she was swimming, until a notice flashed onto my screen that my sim was dying from drowning. I immediately hit pause to see what was going on. She apparently went swimming while tired, and fell asleep in the water. I sent her husband and daughter out to plead for her life, but the Reaper just swept in and took her without giving them a chance.

My brother decided to save as a separate game, and see if she was still alive in the previous save (he had autosave turned on). She was. Then I had to decide if I should just go back to the last save, before she died, or continue playing her dead. I decided to try playing out the tragic loss (but kept the old save with her alive just in case).

She was very in love with her husband, but they had recently been fighting because he thought she was being too flirtatious with other men. In fact, he almost died from anger. (I didn't know at that time that you could.) So she was feeling sadness that day she died. So I roleplayed her husband having guilt about his jealousy, and wishing she was still with them.

For the daughter, it was especially tragic because she was with her mom when she died, and blamed herself for her death. She didn't do anything wrong, but she felt that if her mom didn't bring her to Sulani, she'd still be alive.

It was sad story, but I kinda enjoyed the tragedy. The father searched everywhere for her body (urn), but couldn't find it. Her husband and daughter grieved for several days over her loss. It was so sad, that it was actually kinda beautiful. It was like I was writing a tragic novel.

Then one day I found her urn in the household inventory. She died in Sulani. How did her urn get in the household inventory? Well, that was cool. Now they would have a place to mourn her.

Her husband was so grieved, that he built a garden sanctuary on the roof to honor her, and set the urn there. They were always going up there to mourn her, all the time. It was so sad.

Then her ghost came back to them. They were so happy to see her.

Her husband apologized for everything he said, professed his love, and asked her to join their household. She said no, but she kept coming to visit them.

Then one day her daughter asked her to join them, and she said yes. So they were a happy family again, except the mom was a ghost.

The daughter seemed to be confused, because she kept going up to the rooftop garden to mourn her mom, even though she was living with them. Apparently having a ghost for a mom just wasn't the same, and she continued to mourn her death. Eventually the father decided to hide the mother's urn in the household inventory, so the little girl would stop mourning her mom right after talking to her. Then the girl was finally able to get over it, and come to be happy that at least her mom was still with them in spirit.

• Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,773 Member
    One memorable ‘sad’ moment for me was when I got the ‘Circle of Life’ achievement for playing a Sim from birth until natural death for the first time. Since it was the first born in game Sim to do so I found myself getting kinda attached in a way, but it was a ‘good’ kind of sad which I doubt makes sense, but...
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    In actual gameplay not so much, but during writing my stories I have had many moments that left me very veyr down. This is just the way it is.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    When my Gen. 3 heir died and his daughter started crying at seeing his body, I felt very sad. They were very close and I could just feel her loss.

TS4-x64-2021-01-06-17-25-19.png
    TS4-x64-2021-01-06-17-26-32.png
    TS4-x64-2021-01-06-17-26-46.png
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,149 Member
    My saddest moment I had during the ww2 deathrolls of the decade challenge. Since it was settled in Germany, I've rolled a dice for every household members in my game, to replicate the wartime. I was very sad when a sim mother lost her only child and husband or when a toddler was the lone surviver and was sent to the orphanage. I wasn't attached to these sims in specific, they were just background families, but is was the deathtoll itself, which became more and more devastating with every new deathroll. I was so relieved when the war finally ended, and now I can play in peacetimes for the rest of the challenge.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,392 Member
    edited June 2021
    My saddest moment is not any of my own Sims deaths, I still have my favorites alive.

Instead it's Katrina Caliente whose daughter Dina is married with my Sim and they have three daughters. Katrina had aged to an elder and Nina and Don had moved out to San Myshuno and Katrina was lonely in her big house. I decided to move my Sim and his family to Katrina's house, because they had too small house anyway.
    Katrina retired and used her last days to take care of her grandchildren and she also got very close to their labrador retriever Charlie.

On her last day she said goodbye to her grandchildren... First, Lucy. <3
    am72YJT.png

Then, Mysteria (she's an alien girl). <3
    KmXj0vl.png
    She died the same evening. :/

After her death her ghost came back one night and had a lovely moment with Charlie, the only one who was up in the middle of the night. o:)
    c7iLq5I.png

I'm not a huge Katrina fan, but she was so lovely that I felt really sorry when she died. I would've wanted more time with her, but I didn't want to turn the aging off or cheat in any ways. At least she still visits from the grave sometimes.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,946 Member
    edited June 2021
    I remember when my sims who I had for a long time finally died by old age.

Then I transported their gravestones to the graveyard and as I was decorating their gravesite, this music from Spa Day played.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yer5abakStE&amp;list=PLZutfZtkMx7eAOtDlNWS3UD868zrbM2UI&amp;index=1

This music is now forever ruined with saddness and sorrow.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    When my sim's dog passed away of old age. The animation looked way too sad in this game
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    When my sim's dog passed away of old age. The animation looked way too sad in this game

That is why I never use pets in this game (and in general they are so needy)

I had a family of 6. (2 parents, 1 teen, and 3 children) One night, the father decided to cook up some food at 3 AM (Cause why not?). and then a fire started. Everyone woke up and ran downstairs, 4 of them to their demise. The father caught fire. The mother caught fire. The three children caught fire. The teenage son ran outside before he could be caught in the flames. His entire family died. He was left all alone in his house, haunted by the memories of his entire family. In a moment of sadness, he cooked up some food. A fire started, and he was caught in it. He died, ending his family line.
  • Options
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    One memorable ‘sad’ moment for me was when I got the ‘Circle of Life’ achievement for playing a Sim from birth until natural death for the first time. Since it was the first born in game Sim to do so I found myself getting kinda attached in a way, but it was a ‘good’ kind of sad which I doubt makes sense, but...

It makes sense to me, I understand
  • Options
    MyriadSims wrote: »
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

That is why I never use pets in this game (and in general they are so needy)

I had a family of 6. (2 parents, 1 teen, and 3 children) One night, the father decided to cook up some food at 3 AM (Cause why not?). and then a fire started. Everyone woke up and ran downstairs, 4 of them to their demise. The father caught fire. The mother caught fire. The three children caught fire. The teenage son ran outside before he could be caught in the flames. His entire family died. He was left all alone in his house, haunted by the memories of his entire family. In a moment of sadness, he cooked up some food. A fire started, and he was caught in it. He died, ending his family line.

Now that's horrible
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I remember plenty of moments from Sims 2 and 3, but not much from 4.

Johnny Zest passing away was sad because he was my first Sims 4 sim's husband and the beginning of a legacy that's really only on generation 4 years and years later. So I invited his ghost over and had him rejoin the family.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    IVXXXVIIVXXXVI Posts: 140 Member
    My sim (the father) once had twins but one of them got taken away due to neglection (ok it was actually a game bug with toddler needs but I decided to go with the flow). Then the parents were constantly fighting a lot and both of them were depressed and the other toddler was sad all the time. Then his wife wanted a divorce and they seperated. She left with their child and he was left all alone.

E5i9Ukl.png
    vfvMYR4.png
    EhGKdBF.png
    Hp85Jmm.gif
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,784 Member
    One of the saddest moments in my game occurred when, after several restarts, I was finally truly enjoying my Global Superstar's domestic life. Then the older generation began to die off. First, Erik's father-in-law, who wasn't even an Elder, died. Before the family could even come to grips with this loss, Erik's father died. This left the entire family reeling. Everybody was sobbing all of the time and it was odd, because Erik's dad also wasn't an Elder. Proof was what he looked like at the birthday party the day before. (I had pictures.) I came to realize a mod was quite likely at fault for this phenomenon. Seems Joseph had an underlying health issue that went untreated. :open_mouth: I love Private Practice, but have learned my lesson. It is essential that I play a true rotation, which I wasn't doing. One of the grandmother's died shortly thereafter. We won't talk about the Elderly Paparazzi that were already dropping like flies. Erik who had made friends of these shutterbugs was a mess.

The number one most memorable moment, also was an Erik moment. He won a Starlight Accolade.
    This was for acting, but I used these pictures when he won for his music, once he was in the Entertainment Career. Was notified he won, but no big moment on stage. This had to do.
    9o55pcB.jpg
    1QsHYko.jpg
    XGoEmod.jpg
    9gfucrX.jpg
    s1Lyl3B.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    edited June 2021
    One of the saddest moments for me was when my favorite dog died. The father of the family got her as a Winterfest present for his wife. Shortly after, the wife had gotten pregnant so Riley grew up alongside all the kids. On the day of her death, she decided to spend time with everyone individually, like she knew she was going and wanted to say goodbye. One of the kids went to their scout meeting and Riley wasn't able to spend time with him yet, so she waited near the door that day. As soon as he came home, she ran outside to give him a hug. He hugged her and gave her a pet, then the dreaded sound popped announcing she was passing away. It was like she literally waited for him to come home so she could say goodbye.

I know it was just how the timing worked out in game, but it hurt so bad. She was by far my favorite dog I've ever had in game, and just her trying to say goodbye to everyone on her last day made me ball my eyes out. I got so attached to her.
  • Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    My decades heir from 1900 finally moved off the farm with his new bride, and was so excited and happy he died from being hysterical before they could even woohoo and create another heir. 😑
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,984 Member
    A Sim got the phone call to say that one of her adoptive mothers had died (she was the eldest daughter of a lesbian couple). Her other mother died not long after, and soon after that, the woman gave birth to twin girls. I have a screenshot of one of the mothers cuddling her baby granddaughter. It’s so cute <3
  • Options
    SimmzSimmz Posts: 72 Member
    edited June 2021
    It's a tie between three events:
    1. I had a sim wish for a girlfriend via the wishing well. He got a grumpy girlfriend that was way older than him, but it didn't matter anyway because about 20 seconds after he wished her into existence, she tried to use the grill and accidentally burnt herself to death. I couldn't control her, so I had no part in that.

2. I married off Candy (the NPC that came with Widenburg) to one of my main sims, and at one point I decided to find her sister and start including her sister in my household rotation. I got all excited, had plans to have her slowly become an Internet star, etc. She started a fire on the very first day while she was making breakfast. I tried to put it out for her, but my computer was starting to lag, and she still burnt to death.

3. I had a cute, nuclear family that was about to celebrate their first Christmas...Winterfest...whatever. The tree was in the process of being decorated, the dinner was about to be cooked, decorations were everywhere, it was perfect. Until both of their dogs decided to die of old age while they were decorating the tree. :|
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,984 Member
    Here is the screenshot I was referring to earlier. Granny Jenny cuddling little Julia <3

pMstg92.jpg