Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is your favorite kind of apartment?

What is your favorite kind of apartment? 66 votes

The Sims 2 style
72%
crocobauraicmnfrshBreeSashaIsb917Cynnamaggiemae8135simgirl1010Paryg01denswanCinebarbarracuda1574Charlotteknskybird14ClassicalSimBabykittyjadefionaloveserranowaterywatermelonjazzunicornsSorak4LatinaBunny 48 votes
The Sims 3 style
15%
LeGardePourpreEarcattaydevOnversertexxx78RedShoe7SERVERFRADragonmasterleobluedanubeGamer_34567544 10 votes
The Sims 4 style
12%
PlayerSinger2010friendlysimmersluthienrisingSeashoreLiviaCpinkzACruelButLovingGodShamae03xfruitfetishx 8 votes

Comments

• waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    This was a tough one. The Sims 3 apartments had skyscrapers and penthouses, so you could create a Sim, get that Sim into the Film career, become rich and famous and work up into a penthouse in the city of Bridgeport. The Sims 4 had a similar take, minus the Fame and the Film career. However, The Sims 4 added Lot Traits, which made different lots behave differently during gameplay.

However, in terms of flexibility and customization, I'll pick The Sims 2 apartments. The Sims 2 apartments have the ability to customize the lots however you want, and they are extremely flexible. As long as the room is properly recognized as a room, you can convert anything into an Apartment Lot. Plus, you can play multiple characters in those apartments and live their lives. The Sims 2 also comes with Family Albums (Story Mode), and you can take pictures and write little captions about your Sims' everyday life.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    The Sims 3 style
    I never played Sims 2, I only play Sims 3 & 4. And I've always loved Sims 3 Bridgeport & their apartments over the Sims 4.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    Sims 2 build your own apartment blocks were amazing, you could also visit other tenants without a loading screen. I’m still holding out for a sims 4 lot type like this.. And working elevators lol
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    You just couldn't beat the flexibility of building your own and having a number of different families you could switch between simultaneously.

I like penthouses and what not, but the apartments feel so limited otherwise with building restraints. Plus I cannot save them when I go through all the remodeling trouble. And the neighbors ended up pretty annoying in 4, but I won't bash it too much.

I consider lot traits an addendum system separate from apartments, though I do enjoy them. Just going off of my experiences I had more fun with 2's because of the creativity.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    I agree about having so much flexibility and creativity with 2. I was always super disappointed that TS3 didn't have the same mechanics. And, don't get me started on TS4 apartments!

The fact that we, the players, who paid for this feature, can't even create our own apartments any where we want is a serious turn off. I refuse to even play in, that's how irritated it makes me. See I don't live in a big city in RL that has skyscraper apartment buildings, so that's not something that is familiar to me. We apartment complexes or ground floor condo type apartments, or huge victorian houses that were split up into multi-family homes.

So, yeah once again in TS4, I can't play myself if I wanted to playout my RL life because I can't build the type of apartments that I have lived in. (And have it actually be functional).

So yeah, TS2 was the best in my books!
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2021
    The Sims 3 style
    They work better in my opinion in 4 as you actually have real neighbours rather than fake neighbours in your building, and the elevators are quick, but for me I prefer 3 as you can just place them wherever. I don't want to have to live in a certain world if I want an apartment, so I like the freedom.
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    edited July 2021
    The Sims 2 style
    Onverser wrote: »
    They work better in my opinion in 4 as you actually have real neighbours rather than fake neighbours in your building, and the elevators are quick, but for me I prefer 3 as you can just place them wherever. I don't want to have to live in a certain world if I want an apartment, so I like the freedom.

If you had played The Sims 2, then you would find that The Sims 2 apartments would have real neighbors instead of random NPCs in the extra rooms. You can have up to 4 playable households per apartment lot. Once you get pass 4, and there are more apartments on the lot, those extra apartments will be filled in by random NPCs. Furthermore, the NPCs that live in the apartments may be classed as Upper Class, Upper Middle Class, Middle Class, Lower Middle Class, and Lower Class. The exact names for those social classes are Socialite, Jock, Bohemian, Gearhead, and Tech. Sims can build relationship and reputation, as well as decrease relationship and reputation, in romantic and non-romantic ways, while reputation in The Sims 3 is closely associated with fame reputation or romantic reputation. The Sims 4 also takes on the Sims 3 approach.
    You can build your own apartments from an empty lot and install elevators. But in case the elevators break down (and yes, they can and will kill your Sims!), you may want a real staircase on the side for safety purposes. You can place apartment lots in the Sims 2 anywhere you want like a residential lot; however, unlike the Sims 3, they must be placed alongside the road.
    One last thing, because everything is on one apartment lot, you can easily visit your playable households that also live in the apartment building. This is all without a loading screen (unlike The Sims 4).
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    I really like ts4 apartments too but sims 2 just had more options I feel like

ts3 I didn't really like to use them because i found it hard to move camera with the skyscrapers
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • AnnabellaroseAnnabellarose Posts: 30 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    Sims 2, but, to be fair, I haven't played much in Sims 3. I miss being able to build a building of apartments from the ground up myself... :(
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,414 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    In sims 2 you could build whatever you wanted as an apartment building as long as you used the apartment entrance doors. So we basically built the entire lot the way we want it, not just one apartment but also the entrance. I had row houses/terraced houses and even a castle with different houses which functioned as apartments. It was a very good tool have multiple families live on the same lot but only control one of them.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2021
    The Sims 2 style
    The Sims 2 Al building tools were the best. From tenements filled with dozens of households, to duplexes, condos, trailer parks, even just a one apartment building, where the landlord did all the work outside and your Sim paid rent etc. great for saving money. As many or as few separate units as you wanted. Closed breezeways, open breezeways, no breezeways, enclosed common areas or open fenced off common areas. Playgrounds, park areas, whatever you wanted to do. Pools in common areas, or just a place to read and socialize with others in a common area. Whatever you could imagine could be done. It's hard to top that. If you can imagine it, you can probably build it with TS2's tools.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BreazonaBreazona Posts: 1,335 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    Sims 2s apartments were incredible so its not even a contest. Between 4 and 3 though its a bit hard for me to say. You can place apartments wherever you like in Sims 3 as well as make any kind of apartment instead of being restricted to what the game provides but the routing issues they bring are painful as well as feeling like the rest of the building is completely empty and you're the only tenant so yes you have the open world with no loading screens, but you can't really even visit your neighbor.. It'd be nice to at least see people coming and going like you do in 4, make it feel alive like the rest of the world.
    Onverser wrote: »

I love 3 but half the time i just teleport my sims down/upstairs instead of using the elevator :/
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I really like ts4 apartments too but sims 2 just had more options I feel like

ts3 I didn't really like to use them because i found it hard to move camera with the skyscrapers

Yea you have to get a mod for it to stop doing the weird jerky thing if you mean the tab mode camera

sims 2&3 my beloved♥
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    edited December 2021
    The Sims 2 style
    TS2s ones were the best. Four playable households. (Potentially) One roof. I always played in BDC, and having four of my favourite households walking past each-other going to walk, and being able to visit each-other was a huge bonus. With the bonus of being able to knock on your neighbours door to have them babysit without calling a Nanny.

Plus your Landlord could steal money from your money tree in TS2 then randomly insult you. Talk about realism!

I didn't like how TS3s limited you to just one building, one actual household area, and a door that spawns townies, it tends to lag a little more too or cause Sims to get stuck waiting for elevators for a long time. And it's just not as fun to live in as an actual apartment set.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    To be fair I like what they did in TS2. TS3 worked differently so apartments could not be pulled off the same way although were doable
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    I never tried ts2 or ts3 apartments but from what I read and saw in YouTube videos apartments are really ts4 weak point. I had city living since release but probably only played in one a handful of times. No customization, no real neighbors and the grey block that covers the neighbors side would irritate me so I moved out lol.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • CharlotteknCharlottekn Posts: 544 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    I do really love Sims 3 highrises, hearing the neighbors' music through the walls/floor, the Sims 1 music in the elevators. Sims 2 apartments were just better though. Just more fun and customizable.

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    I loved the flexibility with TS2 apartments. I downloaded a duplex and it was fun sharing half a house with someone in the game. I also liked adding some amenities to the common areas, like an apartment gym. The AI isn't really advanced enough to make apartment neighbors use the gym and some items, but at least my sim gets it all to himself :D Plus weekly apartment get togethers

TS3 apartments were the worst. You couldn't really visit your neighbors' units, and there were no amenities. They were basically reskinned one-household residences in a shell building. And they lagged a lot (but this might just be because of Bridgeport)

TS4 apartments were a bit better since you could visit your neighbors, but there were loading screens so they were functionally a different lot. There were no amenities either, but they did add apartment-specific gameplay like neighbors dropping by, noisy neighbors, and giving out copies of your apartment key to your friends
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • IamJIamJ Posts: 44 Member
    The Sims 2 style
    The “apartments” in sims 3 and sims 4 is one of the things that make these games completely unplayable to me. First of all the builds: sims 2 apartments are real freaking buildings from bottom to top level. I can build a gym in the basement, a lobby, a rooftop with a bar and barbecue for the neighbors. I can put a freaking penthouse on top and studio apartments in the rest of the building, the _entire_ building is customizable. The sims 3 and 4 is basically shells with some space in them, in my view they honestly don’t even really classify as apartments.

Second, the way they’ve done it messes up my gameplay a lot. I always have my sims move to apartments directly after college, because at least in my country no one buys a house until they are at least 30+. People live in apartments. You go from a tiny one when you study (if you don’t live in a dorm), to a small one in your early 20’s, or maybe a shared bigger one with friends, to maybe a bigger one by yourself or with a partner, and finally maybe you’ll buy a house when you want to start a family and you have saved up money. No one buys a house straight out of home. So the fact that I can’t build and place apartments wherever I want them in sims 3 and 4 is a _huge_ dealbreaker to me.