Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

On average, how long do you spend in CAS making 1 sim?

2...Next

Comments

• VaChuVaChu Posts: 37 Member
    More than 1 hour
    it usually took me 3 hours or more to create 1 sim
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    IDK - Who time themselves anyway?

I don't time myself. I can do some sims fairly fast and others may take several days working a little at a time when I have the time to work on them. I have a few sliders but mostly play with the EA ones. I find that after I've seen them in action in the game I need to take them back into CAS and do a few tweaks too. Some of the game animations make some expressions weird depending on what you did with sliders. I absolutely hate those pointy down turned noses on sims with some animations and I do my best to keep those from happening with my settings.
  • jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    More than 1 hour
    I find that if I cut the time to create the sim in CAS, I just wind up taking even more time in game fixing what I didn't do in CAs using Plan Outfit. And I'm still not happy over their wishes and I have to get all kind of lifetime points to fix that. So I have learned to take my time in CAS.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    No longer than 20 minutes
    When I design a sim from scratch, most of the work has already been planned in my head. I have a basic idea as to what I want them to look like, how I want them to dress and behave (starter traits). I also have an idea about their lifestyle, that is until they change it as their personalities develop.

The only time I spend and hour or better in CAS is when I am remaking EA created Sims. I mean the Townie sims who have a backstories and current story lines, not the randomly generated ones. They take much longer because I have to balance their 'official' story with one that is more logical in terms of traits, then I create a visually 'reasonable look' which accentuates it all.
  • tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    Consistently more time than I want to be there. After I complete a sim's looks and wardrobe I always think they are pretty bad.
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I'd have to guess an average of 10 minutes per character in CAS at a time, but like I picked, I do not time myself. Charas I don't care about get the short end of the stick and charas I do get endless nitpicks and updates as DLCs come out. It really adds up for me since I like to play large families, so sometimes I end up spending my entire play time updating Sims in CAS and their houses in BB.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Around 30 minutes
    No idea but it's usually a while but it depends on the sim, sometimes I'll have a great base so it doesn't take long to make a sim that works
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    Others (Please specify in comments)
    Hi, everyone. First comment, ever!

It varies for me. I get distracted by all the things I can do ("wonder what that shirt looks like with those pants?" "whoa, I can make her hair that color?"). My "lead" character could take me some time to design. I sometimes create a sidekick very quickly, when I have a clear idea of what I want them to be like.

I like CAS, and I started liking it even more when I realized I could make Sims, put them into the bin...and add them to any town I wanted!

Yeah, I know. I'm new. :)
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    More than 1 hour
    Depends on what kind of sim I'm creating. If it's just a standard sim, probably no more than.an hour or two.

If it's a sim.based on a real person, then it can take six or more hours depending on how detailed I want to get (using cc hair makeup masks and eyes as well as clothes).
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Initially, probably not more than 5-10 minutes. But that's because I know that I'll be back countless times in CAS to tweak the look after I see it in the game. I don't know how many hours that will ultimately add up to -- probably a lot more than 60 minutes though.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    More than 1 hour
    It took 7 hours to make this sim in my profile picture… usually a couple of hours to make One sim.
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    More than 1 hour
    I don't time myself, but I know it takes over an hour because I can always be 100% sure that, upon exiting CAS and entering Live mode, NRAAS Saver will yell at me to save. :lol:
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    No longer than 10 minutes
    I may be around 10 minutes, but when I am creating a family of 5 it is 10 x 5 = 50 minutes in CAS. Then I may or may not have to go back and modify something.
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    Around 30 minutes
    Not a clue, I don't time myself. For a YA starter sim likely half an hour on average.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    More than 1 hour
    How can anyone not take over an hour creating a sim? There’s so many items to go through, especially if you have a specific kind of sim in mind. I sometimes stop at one main look as it just takes too long, but then regret it in gameplay later when they change outfits and look a mess haha I guess I like to break up the cas process, I’d much rather spend hours building a house than a couple of sims.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Some of them only take 5 minutes especially if I am editing a random townie. Other sims that are part of my main playable group may take longer. In particular, more widely played sims will have multiple sets of outfits per type which can take longer. Sometimes lately I've been using the styled looks to speed things up but must of the time, I put together individual outfits, make up for female sims, etc.

I'm usually on the faster side now. I tend to randomize until I find a sim I either want to keep as-is or edit further. I usually make some minor changes for whatever look seems to suit that sim. Sometimes I edit the walk style. It's rarer now that I change the voice. Picking traits does not take me that long.

Sometimes I'll start a sim out and then go back into CAS later to add more outfits. The only "plastic surgery" I do is reducing the fat on sims if it seems that they've gotten unreasonably fat in a way that doesn't make sense. I've had this with a few sims.

I try to just make interesting sims. Often my goal for their look is for it to look good, to suit their personality as I've developed it and for them to look different from the others. When deciding on a random sim to work with I kind of view it as casting them into my game and I'll say, "Oh, that's a cool looking sim who is different from the rest in my game." Sometimes I then want to edit them to fit whatever general idea I had in my head.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Somewhere between 40 to 50 minutes
    I do take a lot of time even over one Sim!
    Getting the facial details to my liking, hair and then picking out clothes.
    So around 40-50 minutes is average.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞