Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Has Reached Next Stage in Development! (Unreal Engine)

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited June 2021
    FRENE7IC wrote: »
    While patiently waiting for FSR field tests, It’s worth highlighting the proliferation of this rendering method partly due to its relevance within this Unreal thread and the greater implication it has for potentially enabling support for older hardware if TS5 moves toward graphics as seen in the UE5 first-party demos and the video linked below.

dBkFFxF.png

Pertaining to architecture, everyday it gets a little bit crazier in the land of UE5, but this is the most exemplary demo I’ve found this month:

I love the lightning effects in that video, if it's something I'm hoping for in the sims5 it's even better lightning. Lightning does so much when you want a room to look good.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I remember the faults advertising of what the Sims 4 was going to look like back in 2013. They showed realistic scenery, sims & cool cars & what we got is this current Sims 4 game. So, I don't think what they are showing as Sims 5 will actually be Sims 5.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Didn't want Sims 5 until I saw farm animals tied to sheds. Just disappointed even though the pack looks good. Open world and animals that aren't tied down are what I'm looking for. Also, a game where the player is really playing with life, like in the Sims3.
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited June 2021
    I got early access; and have been messing around with Metahuman. While body sculpting is not yet available (though you can select between three different types for each gender; as well as "short", "average", or "tall"); the face sculpting part seems to work pretty well. Reminds me a lot of TS4's system, but vastly improved, and of course, using realistic characters.

Can't wait until they release a standalone application. Even with a decent PC, web apps struggle.
    Post edited by cody6268 on
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    davina1221 wrote: »
    Didn't want Sims 5 until I saw farm animals tied to sheds. Just disappointed even though the pack looks good. Open world and animals that aren't tied down are what I'm looking for. Also, a game where the player is really playing with life, like in the Sims3.

Yeah...I'm hoping Sims 5 will be like Sims 1-3,wher people played the way THEY wanted to. In Sims 4,you play the way EA wants you to. Sims 4 motto should be "EA creates, EA controls, EA rules. The player only gets to do what EA wants them to do."

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited June 2021
    Simburian wrote: »
    The Sims can't be realistic, the style is like Disney's 3D animations.

pflynn10.jpg

That picture reminds me of Sims3 and not Sims4 so I hope a new iteration doesn't go back to that. Somewhere in between would be better.

Would realistic Sims make a much greater demand on a computer though? Rather like the colour wheel adding too much to CAS did?

The color wheel doesn't lag TS3 CAS - it's the loading of patterns and items with all their default colorings. Well, it used to anyway. I found out that if you install the game to an SSD and setting CAS items to "Compact" form in Mastercontroller, loading CAS items is a whole lot faster. Also installing a game booster like Razer Cortex removes build/buy lag as well.

I really hope that The Sims 5 will have CASt - the color wheel and pattern changer (including being able to add in your own patterns) - so we don't have to buy recolors and repatterned objects over and over like what's happening in TS4. In TS3, virtually every object is unique since it has CASt and you can just change those things instead of buying the same item over and over in static colors and patterns.

The weakness of TS3 CAS is CASt because the game couldn't handle the ton of presets (Patterns and clothes).

??? I just went over how to fix these issues in my post above yours. Set CAS to compact form so the presets don't load. Did you not read it? Here it is again:
    I found out that if you install the game to an SSD and setting CAS items to "Compact" form in Mastercontroller, loading CAS items is a whole lot faster.

You try to put down TS3's CASt which is easily fixable and gives simmers virtually unlimited choices for each TS3 object FOR FREE, but you don't point out the fact that TS4 simmers have to buy recolors and repatterns of those same objects and even then it is a limited variety. That's far worse because it is a major rip-off.

You think I like seeing TS4 simmers being constantly ripped off with all that poor quality they get with each pack? I talk about TS3 and what it offers because I want TS4 simmers to know that they have better options in The Sims franchise. You're a TS4 simmer, so you should be advocating on behalf of TS4 simmers so they can get better features in TS4, not defending the poor quality TS4 game that rips off its fans.

Smh.... I can't wait for new games to come out in the life simulation genre by other game publishers/studios. Then we won't be stuck with only two choices being offered by the one game publisher who doesn't have our best interests at heart.

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited June 2021
    ??? I just went over how to fix these issues in my post above yours. Set CAS to compact form so the presets don't load.

Yes, I did it too.
    But there is probably a smarter way to do CASt, something more efficient than an endless loading.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited June 2021
    Games have been known to change their game engine half-way through development so we can't rely on this information either.

Also, what's so wonderful about Create a Style? As long as they remember to have plenty of Swatches, Create a Style is a waste of procressor space that we need for the actual game.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Games have been known to change their game engine half-way through development so we can't rely on this information either.

Also, what's so wonderful about Create a Style? As long as they remember to have plenty of Swatches, Create a Style is a waste of procressor space that we need for the actual game.

Hard disagree. Swatches have always been one of the worst parts of this game, imo. There are games with much more primitive character creators than TS4, older than it (not including other sims games here), that still at least have something close to a limited color slider, if they don't have an actual color wheel of sorts. TS4 is in the stone age with its preset swatches, as character creation systems are concerned.

What's so wonderful about it is the creative possibilities it opens up. It's also about matching. For some unfathomable reason, the swatches in TS4 are not even remotely close to consistent, so when you try to create a matching color style, you just can't a lot of the time. It's very limiting and unnecessarily so. The least they could do with a swatch system would have been to make it more like Guild Wars 2, where any of the colors you have can be applied to any color modifiable area of a piece of clothing/armor. It's still a limited set of colors in that system, but at least you can make them match, more or less. Plenty of games have done a system like that, with a limited set of colors, and I've never heard of them tanking performance because they didn't only use ten renditions of an outfit with a preset of it in a certain swatch for each one.

The whole "customization kills performance" thing seems to be a uniquely Sims 3 issue, not something inherent to programming. I can imagine it's probably easy to program such customization in a way that is poor for performance, but that's true of a lot of things in programming, especially if you're dependent on an engine that is poorly optimized for the purpose.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Triplis wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »

Hard disagree. Swatches have always been one of the worst parts of this game, imo. There are games with much more primitive character creators than TS4, older than it (not including other sims games here), that still at least have something close to a limited color slider, if they don't have an actual color wheel of sorts. TS4 is in the stone age with its preset swatches, as character creation systems are concerned.

What's so wonderful about it is the creative possibilities it opens up. It's also about matching. For some unfathomable reason, the swatches in TS4 are not even remotely close to consistent, so when you try to create a matching color style, you just can't a lot of the time. It's very limiting and unnecessarily so. The least they could do with a swatch system would have been to make it more like Guild Wars 2, where any of the colors you have can be applied to any color modifiable area of a piece of clothing/armor. It's still a limited set of colors in that system, but at least you can make them match, more or less. Plenty of games have done a system like that, with a limited set of colors, and I've never heard of them tanking performance because they didn't only use ten renditions of an outfit with a preset of it in a certain swatch for each one.

The whole "customization kills performance" thing seems to be a uniquely Sims 3 issue, not something inherent to programming. I can imagine it's probably easy to program such customization in a way that is poor for performance, but that's true of a lot of things in programming, especially if you're dependent on an engine that is poorly optimized for the purpose.

Yeah we only have the sims3 as an example, that game is 12 years old. It's difficult to know how much create a style would affect a modern sims game today. The most recent game to look at would be Paralives I guess. It seems to work fine here for a few swatches and a color wheel, the game is not finished though and I'm not sure how well it would run with way more swatches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEraDHYtnDA
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    logion wrote: »

Yeah we only have the sims3 as an example, that game is 12 years old. It's difficult to know how much create a style would affect a modern sims game today.

Exactly my point! The Sims 3 came out 12 years ago. To put that into perspective the Sims 1 came out in 2000 and The Sims 3 in 2009. That's only 9 years and see how different these games are? Look how much technology evolved in only 9 years. I find it irrelevant when people mention the Sims 3 as an example of why we shouldn't have certain features, like that was a million years ago, you don't know what is possible today.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    ChocoSulSulChocoSulSul Posts: 182 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    The Sims can't be realistic, the style is like Disney's 3D animations.

pflynn10.jpg

That picture reminds me of Sims3 and not Sims4 so I hope a new iteration doesn't go back to that. Somewhere in between would be better.

Would realistic Sims make a much greater demand on a computer though? Rather like the colour wheel adding too much to CAS did?

The color wheel doesn't lag TS3 CAS - it's the loading of patterns and items with all their default colorings. Well, it used to anyway. I found out that if you install the game to an SSD and setting CAS items to "Compact" form in Mastercontroller, loading CAS items is a whole lot faster. Also installing a game booster like Razer Cortex removes build/buy lag as well.

I really hope that The Sims 5 will have CASt - the color wheel and pattern changer (including being able to add in your own patterns) - so we don't have to buy recolors and repatterned objects over and over like what's happening in TS4. In TS3, virtually every object is unique since it has CASt and you can just change those things instead of buying the same item over and over in static colors and patterns.

The weakness of TS3 CAS is CASt because the game couldn't handle the ton of presets (Patterns and clothes).

??? I just went over how to fix these issues in my post above yours. Set CAS to compact form so the presets don't load. Did you not read it? Here it is again:
    I found out that if you install the game to an SSD and setting CAS items to "Compact" form in Mastercontroller, loading CAS items is a whole lot faster.

You try to put down TS3's CASt which is easily fixable and gives simmers virtually unlimited choices for each TS3 object FOR FREE, but you don't point out the fact that TS4 simmers have to buy recolors and repatterns of those same objects and even then it is a limited variety. That's far worse because it is a major rip-off.

You think I like seeing TS4 simmers being constantly ripped off with all that poor quality they get with each pack? I talk about TS3 and what it offers because I want TS4 simmers to know that they have better options in The Sims franchise. You're a TS4 simmer, so you should be advocating on behalf of TS4 simmers so they can get better features in TS4, not defending the poor quality TS4 game that rips off its fans.

Smh.... I can't wait for new games to come out in the life simulation genre by other game publishers/studios. Then we won't be stuck with only two choices being offered by the one game publisher who doesn't have our best interests at heart.

sims 3 better option than sims 4? puff ... The sims 3 are totally out of the sims essence, I don't want those horrible porcelain dolls.

I don't need you to worry about me. I played all the games in the series, I know what I want. Sims 2 and 4 will always be my favorites, they are really alike. Sims 3 seems like a strange invention.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I would love to have something similar to this style for TS5. A more stylized realistic look to the sims, cartoony but more detailing. Hair that looks like hair, real eyelashes, smooth skin.

AQ3xcFA.png
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    FRENE7IC wrote: »

This PC came with a split SSD/HDD. With this feature coming to Windows 11, it makes me want to upgrade to the max RAM this PC can support (32GB from 12) save the 250GB SSD for the OS; and get rid of the 1TB HDD for an SSD. Unlike the old Dell workstation it replaced, it is a smaller format, and not as tinkering friendly, however. Because those workstations are so well made, new ones are expensive, and used ones are typically ancient.
  • Options
    FRENE7ICFRENE7IC Posts: 38 Member
    3X6ZwJQ.png
    Microsoft

It’s a bit disheartening now because like UE5 and the recently revealed FSR, I find there’s an allure to hardware agnostic technologies. With that said, it should be a year or two before we start to see games fully realise the breadth of DX12 Ultimate hardware capabilities, whether it’s on console or PC.

All of which is fine because there’s an expectation for a new generation of GPUs end of 2022, further expanding the list of supporting hardware. I think by the time we actually start seeing titles fully utilise this API, the transition period will be well into the latter stages and thus shouldn’t pose problems.

Whether procurement will still be a challenge is unknown.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Triplis wrote: »

logion wrote: »

Yeah we only have the sims3 as an example, that game is 12 years old. It's difficult to know how much create a style would affect a modern sims game today. The most recent game to look at would be Paralives I guess. It seems to work fine here for a few swatches and a color wheel, the game is not finished though and I'm not sure how well it would run with way more swatches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEraDHYtnDA

Exactly my point! The Sims 3 came out 12 years ago. To put that into perspective the Sims 1 came out in 2000 and The Sims 3 in 2009. That's only 9 years and see how different these games are? Look how much technology evolved in only 9 years. I find it irrelevant when people mention the Sims 3 as an example of why we shouldn't have certain features, like that was a million years ago, you don't know what is possible today.

From my own experience, TS3's CASt actually performs better in newer, faster computers. CASt in my laptop only take about a second and I have all EP and SP packs, all the store worlds, all the venues and much of the Sims 3 Store loaded. It's really a dream and I can't believe that a game this old actually runs so much better in these newer computers. I can't help but love this game more and more! It's really brilliant!

The only reason why CASt loads slowly (in older, slower computers) is because it uses a simple loading function loop. But there are more efficient loading algorithms that will load it quicker without using too many computer resources. Those are pretty easy to implement. When I minored in Computer Science (before I was accepted in nursing school), we started learning about data structures and simple loading and sorting efficiencies as early as in the first semester!

So CASt is not really a problem in future iterations of The Sims. The problem (for EA, not for us) is that EA won't be able to sell recolors and repatterns of the same objects if the game has CASt. And you know they are all about being cheap and using the lowest amount of funding to produce their expensive games and DLCs.

I've given up on EA making TS5 great if they want to limit it again with limited colors and patterns for objects, on top of all the other awful features they've been pushing for. I'm just hoping that the competition will learn from this and have a CASt type of feature in their own life simulation games that loads quickly and efficiently. That would certainly be a factor on their side.

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2021
    Microsoft has released a new upgrade to Windows 11 checker on 25th June if anyone want to check their PC or laptop. I hope it's still valid for a month or so to let us decide as Win 10 was a nuisance to upgrade to. My laptop is fine with it I'm told.

It's way down on this page under Get Ready

Check for compatibility
    Use the PC Health Check app to see if your current PC meets the requirements to run Windows 11. If so, you can get a free upgrade when it rolls out.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member

From my own experience, TS3's CASt actually performs better in newer, faster computers. CASt in my laptop only take about a second and I have all EP and SP packs, all the store worlds, all the venues and much of the Sims 3 Store loaded. It's really a dream and I can't believe that a game this old actually runs so much better in these newer computers. I can't help but love this game more and more! It's really brilliant!

I have to agree with this, I actually was just in my TS3 game not even 5 minutes ago and was CASting counters, windows, and doors in a house for a new sim, and I had no lag. I mean it still has to "load" the pattern swatches for each category and you still have to keep scrolling to the bottom until that category is fully loaded, but that's it. No lag when dragging and dropping new textures onto objects, no lag while in CASt, no lag getting out of CASt.

I also own all packs and the biggest majority of the store too.

In addition to that, I also have about 3000 CC patterns installed.

The thing for me, is because of the ability to CASt items for TS3 I don't need a bunch of build/buy CC. I can usually just stick with game items and make a visually appealing house to me.

Plus, I don't "hate" the look of the sims in TS3 if you tweak them. Here's my latest girl, (I do use default replacements for skins, eyes, and facial hair, and I do use some CC Hairs, shoes, and eyelashes but for the most part, it's all game stuff).

ZwPznd1.png
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited June 2021
    E4FgslSXEAEHQ1J-e1624798828263-810x386.jpeg
    Why would they be hiring people to work on Project Lotus (Sims) in the Unreal engine and then change to a different engine?

Also, think I know why there are so many bugs in the Sims packs when they are released. They are only paying the testers $13.50/hr -- that is pretty darn awful -- CATLab QV Tester
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    That's not even minimum wage anymore. What do they think this is, the year 2000? That's so wrong & illegal.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,191 Member
    troshalom wrote: »
    E4FgslSXEAEHQ1J-e1624798828263-810x386.jpeg
    Why would they be hiring people to work on Project Lotus (Sims) in the Unreal engine and then change to a different engine?

Also, think I know why there are so many bugs in the Sims packs when they are released. They are only paying the testers $13.50/hr -- that is pretty darn awful -- CATLab QV Tester

Not really if they are a tester and not a programmer.My understanding a tester is just playing the game to see if there any bugs.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Not really if they are a tester and not a programmer.My understanding a tester is just playing the game to see if there any bugs.

That's a misconception. What they do, to my understanding, is more accurately described as something like: "trying to break the game in detailed and precise areas and ways they are assigned to check, investigating issues that are not obvious or easy to reproduce to find a way to reproduce them, and reporting their findings with detailed and precise information (reproducible steps, precise context, that kind of thing)."

In other words, the kind of work that would probably make you want to do anything but play that game.

Informal beta testers who are unpaid and are regular players sitting at home given early access to a game to stress test it, on the other hand... that's more like "just playing the game to see if there are any bugs." But I wouldn't call that QA. It can be helpful in its own way, but it's not what game companies are paying people to do.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    But what if Project Lotus is only a TS4 upgrade? EA can patch in new engine which can handle open neighborhoods, better system of swatches ect.
  • Options
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    But what if Project Lotus is only a TS4 upgrade? EA can patch in new engine which can handle open neighborhoods, better system of swatches ect.

The fact that they are doing prototyping in Unreal seems to hint more towards that they are making a new engine with new features than a TS4 upgrade that you could just patch over the old DirectX9 one.