Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did you know you can disable lot trait effects on console, but NOT on PC?

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
I just played the game on console for the first time in a while and noticed an option in settings that basically disabled the sparkles and question marks that appear above a sim’s head when they do something relevant to a lot trait.

I looked for this same option on PC in settings and it’s not there! I have to download a mod to disable them.

Why is this only available to disable from console and not also on PC?

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    I play on pc and use some of the lot traits. But I have never noticed sparkles or question mark. Did you see them with a specific lot trait? Or have I just overlooked them for years? .
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    edited June 2021
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I play on pc and use some of the lot traits. But I have never noticed sparkles or question mark. Did you see them with a specific lot trait? Or have I just overlooked them for years? .

You've never noticed the sparkles? Set the lot trait to I think "Homey" and have your sim start cooking. You should immediately see the sparkles when they are cooking. Homey might not be the right one but it's the one where household skills such as cooking are more easily earned.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Man, I would love a way to turn those off, they ruin screenshots. I always felt that they should be disabled with the "headline effects off" cheat but since they aren't, I just avoid using any skill-based lot traits because I can't stand the effects.
    #Team Occult
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    I never noticed that at all.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Mods do that for me. Works very well.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    I never noticed them.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    edited June 2021

You've never noticed the sparkles? Set the lot trait to I think "Homey" and have your sim start cooking. You should immediately see the sparkles when they are cooking. Homey might not be the right one but it's the one where household skills such as cooking are more easily earned.

Nope, can't remember seeing that. And I like using the lot traits that boost skills. I'll give it a try next time I get to play. Only thing I can think of is that I play on a mid range pc so visuals are set to medium. Maybe they are only visible with graphics turned to max? Or maybe it is a mccc setting I am not aware of.
    But those sparkles do sound annoying.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,547 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Man, I would love a way to turn those off, they ruin screenshots. I always felt that they should be disabled with the "headline effects off" cheat but since they aren't, I just avoid using any skill-based lot traits because I can't stand the effects.
    Me too. It is hugely annoying. Another one of those 'what were they thinking?' things.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Me too. It is hugely annoying. Another one of those 'what were they thinking?' things.

I agree wish we had that
    more for sim kids and more drama please

Nope, can't remember seeing that. And I like using the lot traits that boost skills. I'll give it a try next time I get to play. Only thing I can think of is that I play on a mid range pc so visuals are set to medium. Maybe they are only visible with graphics turned to max? Or maybe it is a mccc setting I am not aware of.
    But those sparkles do sound annoying.

I'm on Xbox so yeah, I get them when I set those traits. They never really bothered me though since I'm usually scrolling through all of my sims and never focused on one long enough to be annoyed.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    My only guess is it is for performance, but I agree it is silly to not attempt to maintain parity between versions of the same game. I don't mind the animations and would not turn them off, but if it is available on one platform it should be available on the others so long as they can support it.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I never use the Convivial lot trait on venues because of this. I want the social boost, but the effects ruin screenshots and are even visible in photos.
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I never use the Convivial lot trait on venues because of this. I want the social boost, but the effects ruin screenshots and are even visible in photos.

Yeah for story purposes, I can see it getting really annoying. I personally didn't know it could be turned off on console. But I don't publish my stories very often. I did assume though that it would be turned off with the headline effect cheat but I guess not.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,954 Member
    yeah id like to turn those off cause its distracting... weird that its console only
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    I notice but I don't let it bother me. It's like I never disable the glow my Global Superstar has. Hey, he EARNED it. I only disable that silly walk. He doesn't need to act all snooty about his fame, after all. ;)

Here's a sampling of the stuff of this thread:

vgf6kSy.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/