Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realistic or Cartoony?

Comments

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Cartoony
    I am fine with the video-game dolls in my video-game dollhouse looking cartoony. I do miss TS3 style body-hair.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    Realistic
    Onverser wrote: »
    (Realistic doesn't necessarily mean ultra realism and uncanny valley, it could just mean more realistic and detailed than what we have in 4.

Since you added this qualification, I chose realistic because while the sims in Sims 4 look fine in CAS, the constant mugging in live mode gets a tad annoying to me after a while. I actually like the style of Sims 4, IF it weren't for those goofy, over-exaggerated expressions.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • MarkwilsonMarkwilson Posts: 7 New Member
    Realistic
    I prefer more realistic. The Sims 4 was a disappointment to me. A rehash of previous game.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Cartoony
    Half & Half. ;)
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    I also like a good in-between. I guess that's why I really adore graphics from Sims 3 it struck a nice balance.
  • lovemy4slovemy4s Posts: 153 Member
    Cartoony
    I’m half and half. I like the realistic look in sims 4 (I use cc to make them a little more realistic looking) but I also like indie games vibes. It’s more of an artistic look to it. For example, I really like the Paralives look so far; it’s completely different feeling than sims but both are good.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Realistic
    Honestly I prefer a balance of the two styles, more like Sims 2 with CC. A bit cartoony, but with some realism because it's more flexible.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Somewhere in between I guess. I don't like sims to be too realistic but for other games it depends.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    Realistic
    Hauk150 wrote: »
    Realistic definitely, like those current gen games, I always wanted a sims with those graphics, it would look awesome B)

Says the person with a cartoon cat avatar... :shrug: Just saying... lol

EDIT:
    Just to be sure you know, I am only joking about your avatar. It just seems like a funny contradiction but I'm not making fun of you.

Yes, i know, lol :D

I love realistic graphics, but at the same time i can like some cartoon ones too, like that cat ;)
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    Realistic with a slight cartoonish edge, just enough to avoid the uncanny valley. The PS2 era of games were rich full of examples.
  • AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    Stylized with a defined identity. It's less about what and more about how for me, but I seriously doubt I would want to play in a house looking like an Archviz reel, I'm afraid it would look too generic and soul-less.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited June 2021
    Cartoony
    The thing about cartoony graphics, is that as graphics improve, they never hit the uncanny valley with things like the eyes or the mouth. In other words Sims 4 can go on for years and years in its simple cartoony graphics.

An example is that while you can clearly see an improvement in Pixar graphics over time, especially in textures and particle effects, they never look truly out of date. This is why the first Pixar movies were about toys, insects, and monsters and fish. Humans featured very little in them, usually as giant monsters, and children, who are simpler to animate.

At the same time, a Sims 5 would be interesting to see the next notch up. You know, if we ever see one. The main complication is, how would you approach realistic graphics with the current CAS system? It's always the eyes and mouth that are the most complex. If you look at Sims 3, you know it's the eyes that looked weird before.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Cartoony
    Cartoony for me. I've had fun in the past playing around with realistic CC in CAS, but I can't imagine playing those characters because they didn't feel like Sims to me. Something about the extra realism aspect takes away from a Sims personality, for me at least.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Realistic
    Cartoony for me. I've had fun in the past playing around with realistic CC in CAS, but I can't imagine playing those characters because they didn't feel like Sims to me. Something about the extra realism aspect takes away from a Sims personality, for me at least.

Aww I'm sorry you're wrong. But one day you'll see everything my way. ;) j/k

Seriously though, I really want the realism. Buuuut, it would be either really cool or super creepy. So it definitely would have have to handled carefully.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    For sims 4, I enjoy the cartoony artstyle. But I'd like to see Sims 5 switch to realism for a change. I'd hate for the artstyle to go more cartoony than it is, however.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Realistic
    I say realistic, but I think I like a mix of both really.
    This is a screenshot I took yesterday (TS3) and I don't think it really looks overly cartoony or realistic, just a little of both.
    HiPQ5lT.jpg
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,768 Member
    Cartoony
    I'm fine with it being cartoony, although it did take me a while to get used to the TS4 art-style after playing TS3.
    they/them or she/her
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Realistic
    Somewhere between TS3 and TS4.
    TS4 sims are fine, but the world objects are too big, thick, blocky, and sharp-edged for me.
    Textures have little to no detail.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Cartoony
    Definitely in between, which is what we have now. Realistic design calls for more realistic and varied movements, far, far more to animate, and a nicer computer than I can afford.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2021
    Cartoony
    Think a cartoony style works better with the sims franchise. I feel it'd be far too uncanny seeing realistic graphics on them. Seeing photo skinning CC and the expressions made is nightmare fuel. :s

Realistic graphics always seem to work well with games that are more on the serious side. But I am more for realistic details and proper shadows on clothing and how sims wear them. Same with furniture I want to look natural with sims sitting on them.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Realistic
    I play the Sims realistically, so I'd like the Sims that way too.
  • Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    edited June 2021
    Realistic
    I prefer Maxis Match for hair and clothes but I do like using body hair and eyelashes other than the wedge eyelashes paired up with a subtle default skin that is not too "Alpha". I guess I like a nice mix of both but prefer things compliment the original art style of the game.
  • telltalehearttelltaleheart Posts: 17 Member
    Cartoony
    I think the cartoony look works for this cartoony game! I don't know for sure, but I imagine the cartoony style helps the game run better, and as someone playing on a potato, I'm all for that
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    Cartoony
    I would say cartoony but with slightly more detail. I love the style of Sims 4 and wouldn't change much... maybe more detail/ realism to the hair textures, lashes, and eyes. I achieve it with CC now, but would love for it to be standard,
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    Realistic
    I don´t want ultra realistic (creepy realism), but would prefer a little more realism than the graphics in sims 4 (I find it to cartoony)