Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you recommend merging CC?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    edited June 2021
    If you have conflicts, one will work, one won't. Sometimes neither works. Why on earth would you want to keep both?

Merging them together will only make it more difficult to remove one later once you realize you'll have to get rid of one.

On the general topic of "merging", it's good and bad. Don't merge everything expecting it to be a lot faster. It won't be. However, it IS severely useful to merge things together to simply reduce the enormous amount of clutter in your mods folder.

DO NOT merge MODS. This is completely useless and just BEGGING for trouble.

Merging CC is fine, once you've already gone through them all, made sure they're not broken or glitched, and corrected all the inevitable bugs, errors, and tagging mistakes the CC author ALWAYS makes.

As another poster recommended, I'd suggest also to keep types together. Merge hair together, furniture, clothing... etc into separate files to keep them together. It's not required but is very handy.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    No. You‘ll end up with duplicates and when the merged package gets corrupted all your cc is lost.
  • Options
    derevaunderevaun Posts: 46 Member
    I recently compared loading screen times with merged vs unmerged CC. There was variation but on average no difference. This is with ~2gb of CC with a 2core/4thread CPU at 3gHz. There may likely be systems where it's advantageous to merge. I don't bother anymore.

When I merged, I kept the unmerged folder elsewhere in Documents, and if I needed to use Tray Importer to weed out items, I would swap in the umnerged folder(s) and Tray Importer would find them, even if I made the household when the merged folders were in the Mods folder.
  • Options
    JasGabrielleJasGabrielle Posts: 17 Member
    I would recommend merging the CC you are absolutely sure you want to keep forever. I am currently de-cluttering my mods folder which has 45 GBs and the merged CC is giving me a really hard time and slowing down the process :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I categorized all of my mods and cc into their own folders. Makes it far easier to remove them completely when you need to update a certain mod. As long as the cc is no more than two levels deep IE Mods>Folder for Mod>mod packages, it should be okay, but check with the creator to see just how deep it can be and still work.

I have cc for 18th century items. Men's Clothes; Women's Clothes; Children's Clothes; Décor; Hair; Accessories. I use several of SimRealist mods. Each has its own folder. MCCC has it's own folder as does Road to Fame, although I make certain the script files are just in the Mods folder, one-level deep, only.

It does make it so much easier if something messes up. For instance, just after patching my game for today, I started getting my two Ancestral families ready to play. That meant taking them into CAS and giving them like/dislikes. But while there I also checked out the clothing choices I had made. For the one family all was well until I got to the second Teen daughter. I had given her cc hair but she was suddenly white, black and red all over. I knew what that meant having gone through it once before. I clicked to the next outfit. Different hair and her skin was normal. I went back and forth between the messed up category and the next one that was fine. I closed my game and removed the offensive cc hair. That did the trick. Having them categorized was so very much easier than sifting through the random stuff in my Mods folder, one at a time.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    ailujmsailujms Posts: 27 Member
    I've been merging some files if I download a pack from a specific creator, but not too many files together. Trying to get the game to run smoother with lots of CC, lol.
  • Options
    Simcity_TrainsSimcity_Trains Posts: 107 Member
    I installed CC and it slow down your game, I doubt most low end pcs wouldn't be to have all of fresh Prince Charles creations
  • Options
    Simcity_TrainsSimcity_Trains Posts: 107 Member
    I installed CC and it slow down your game, I doubt most low end pcs wouldn't be to have all of fresh Prince Charles creations

Only playing Sims 3 on PC, Sims 4 is money hungry
  • Options
    liss01182liss01182 Posts: 5 New Member
    I have a question. I am currently in the process of merging my CC for the first time. I have read that it isn't recommended to merge mods, however can you merge files that come with the mods? For example the Torment Sims mod by Sacrificial Mods comes with props and stuff, and Grannies Cook Book comes with recipe files. Can you merge those?
  • Options
    gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    I wouldn't merge ANY mod. Only CC.