Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

unpopular opinions

Comments

• shailaputriishailaputrii Posts: 64 Member
    > @Loanet said:
    > People who say they're not offended always seem to be the most offended.

omg true sis
    > @mewo13 said:
    > > @AmeliaTodd said:
    > > I'm not a fan of retirement homes in my game.
    > Are some people actually hoping for a retirement home pack? Yikes. I know it's common in America, where incidentally most of the userbase is from, but I've always found it a gross part of American culture. Sorry (err not sorry?) to Americans I may be offending, but I can't imagine shipping my grandparents off to some retirement home because I don't want them in my life. It's probably the asian in me speaking. I don't think they'd ever do that since this game is still played by an international audience and a lot of people will be offended/bothered by it.
    >

thats funny. there are tons of elderly japanese people who die alone in their houses cuz their family just doesnt care.
  • mewo13mewo13 Posts: 60 Member
    >
    thats funny. there are tons of elderly japanese people who die alone in their houses cuz their family just doesnt care.

Where did you get this impression? While that may be true in some cases, elders are held in incredibly high regard in Japan (like most Asian countries) with multigenerational households. The Japanese elderly also have the second longest average life spans in the world. There are also more elderly citizens than ANY another age group in Japan. Perhaps they die alone because there are no young people left to take care of them, not due to neglect. The fact they live so long (meaning adequate health care, low-stress lives, good community) makes "lack of care from their children" less credible as an argument.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited June 2021
    Jyotai wrote: »
    One of the things I use MCCC for - those elders get moved into an 'elder household' so they're still out there as townies, but not taking up space in households.

Wow...

Yeah that wording may have been harsh. But that IS what MCCC does.

As to why one might want it - there is a limit on household sizes.

If you want to play your elders, but also have a family keep growing - moving the elders into their own household works.

The family bond stays. I've created some oddball households that proved this.

In one case I wanted my spellcaster to be a "Harry Potter" like last survivor. So I made an entire family line starting with 4 grandparents, then married their children to make my caster's parents, then created the child - the sim I was seeking. Then I used cheats to give the entire family line deaths by things that would make sense if casters were attacking each other with magic (fire / electrocution). Then... I kept them all around as ghosts in their own homeless household.

I grabbed the urns of one grandparent from each side of my sim's family and put them in her home on top of a shelf. Those two ghosts now regularly visit her and do oddball things like cook dinner, break the toilet, repair the toilet, use the computer, tell my sim she needs a bath, etc...

In a second case I wanted to link two households of different races together as cousins. So I made the mother of one sim, and the father of another sim - and made the parents siblings, put them in their own homeless household. The backstory being those two are half siblings. I didn't bother with the generation above only because I did it all in the wrong order and even with cheats I could figure out how to open access to backfilling in a whole family line. But... the two siblings visit not just their children, but also their nieces and nephews. And I have them sitting around in my 'townie' space where I can decide to make them active later on. MCCC auto-proposal even found a spouse for the 'sister' so that family now has 3 people in it.

This all let me have some 9 sims out there 'not taking up space' in the other households... Which is how my Spellcaster sim had room in her household to marry a non-spellcaster recently, and likewise one of the 'cousin' sims just married the director of the TV commercials he's an actor in (is it still a casting couch if you get the job and do the part and only start flirting with the boss afterwards? :) ).
    - And that's also where I discovered I can't find any working CC-mods for a film director career, so after they got married I had to change her to a 'media producer' freelancer...

Households have a max size, and the moment you start any generational play, you can hit that limit very fast. At that point your either tossing Toddler's out the front door with $20 and telling not to come home until they've turned it into at least $40 (memories of my youth in the 70s...) or your packing the grandparents off to adventures of their own - either deleting them or letting MCCC group them up, or doing that manually - where they can still be characters in your stories.

The ideal trick here is as soon as you've moved them out - invite them over to visit and have an active sim hand them a residence key. The stronger the relationship, the more often they'll visit after that. They'll even randomly show up to your vacations...

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    rhalius wrote: »
    IceyJ wrote: »
    They really did not think the scared emotion through, I guess they wanted to take the last shred of masculinity away from our Sims who get scared from the slightest things even if they have the self assured trait since as usual, traits are meaningless in this game.

Was bad enough already that my "mean"sim meant to be this kind of bad boy keeps making friends with strangers and never does a mean thing on his own, but now he runs around like a sissy from a bit of bad weather or because another sim sneaked up on them and said: Boo!

I agree about the mean trait, (and many others) however, being self-assured does not equal being brave. Purchase the brave trait for your sim.

And that brave trait is some other garbage. You'd need to complete several aspirations to scrounge together 8000 points for that.
    Sims 3 had brave as a trait you could get in character creation.

Eh. My sim got those points very fast by living in a haunted house. You can also cheat the trait, if necessary.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    They really did not think the scared emotion through, I guess they wanted to take the last shred of masculinity away from our Sims who get scared from the slightest things even if they have the self assured trait since as usual, traits are meaningless in this game.

Was bad enough already that my "mean"sim meant to be this kind of bad boy keeps making friends with strangers and never does a mean thing on his own, but now he runs around like a sissy from a bit of bad weather or because another sim sneaked up on them and said: Boo!

I agree about the mean trait, (and many others) however, being self-assured does not equal being brave. Purchase the brave trait for your sim.

And that brave trait is some other garbage. You'd need to complete several aspirations to scrounge together 8000 points for that.

Eh. My sim got those points very fast by living in a haunted house. You can also cheat the trait, if necessary.

I think the problem is they designed it with the haunted house reward points in mind, and didn't think about the fact that all of our other sims would get scared of thunderstorms or normal ghosts while having to earn their reward points in slower ways.
  • SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    I hate all the "gross out" humor in this game and others. I hate the flies (although it's better now that you don't have to hear them buzzing SUPER LOUDLY like in previous games), I *hate* it when Sims stick their fingers into their ears and then toss the salad with their hands, I hate all references to poop, and I REALLY hate that you can actually *see* poop in some cases. It's disgusting and it really bothers me.

Now, please note that I don't expect this kind of "humor" to go away, nor do I think that I'm entitled have the Sims team cater to my every want. I'm just saying that I hate it and I wish it weren't in the game.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Daephene wrote: »

I think the problem is they designed it with the haunted house reward points in mind, and didn't think about the fact that all of our other sims would get scared of thunderstorms or normal ghosts while having to earn their reward points in slower ways.

Yeah, I get that Paranormal is a stuff pack, but there's no reason why they couldn't put the Brave trait into CaS or expand on that and add the Coward trait back into the game as well.
    Not to mention traits are poorly balanced and hardly affect gameplay, imagine if the traits were balanced properly.
    E.G:
    - Brave sims would hardly get scared by ghosts, thunderstorms or feared by hysterical sims But there would be a rare 1% chance that they'd get spooked by something.

- Sims without the Brave trait are less likely to get scared, but it's always on a 50/50 coin flip whether or not they'll get the scared moodlet.

- Cowardly sims are easy to scare, they get spooked incredibly easy and can faint from shock if they get scared enough. Living in a haunted house is pure nightmare fuel for them and they are always on edge, looking around every corner and are a favourite pranking victim of ghosts and spectres.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • CaptainNinjaPantsCaptainNinjaPants Posts: 17 Member
    Not going to lie when I read comments from other Simmers on the forums or on Twitter I'm reminded why I don't actively participate in the community like I used to. Back when I used to play Sims 3 the community was never this bad. Sure there were arguments but it didn't turn into full blown drama. I almost quit the Sims because of it.

As far as worlds go I wish they'd stop focusing on America. YES, I know the headquarters are in California but do they have to make worlds based on California or New York or just someplace in America with each iteration of the Sims? I'd rather see worlds based off Europe and Asia.

The Like and Dislikes are actually giving me problems and the update that was supposed to fix certain traits actually made things worse in my game to the point where I barely play the game anymore. I'm mostly just building now. Sims 4 is great for builders.....and that's about it. All these CAS assets while nice is just a way to cover up the fact that there's really not any new gameplay. It's just reused animations and no depth.

With each new update I get new bugs and glitches and there are so many that I don't know if they've been in the game since the beginning or not. I also can't tell which update caused what bug or glitch.

I wish the aspirations didn't have those useless tasks attached to them. I want them to be more open-ended, meaning that you can achieve the aspiration anyway you want and you only have to follow a general goal like maxing out a skill or something. All of the aspirations feel more like a tutorial and for a veteran player like me that's knows the ins and outs of the game this just further kills my excitement.

For CAS, I wish we had longer hairstyles and less of the bobs and pixie cuts. Also what's with the fascination with crop tops and tight clothing? Most my my female sims don't wear clothing like that and that's all we've been getting for the most part. Is this game for everyone or just young people?
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I like realistic graphics and hope the next game is more realistic and looks less like a colorful childrens doll house
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I like realistic graphics and hope the next game is more realistic and looks less like a colorful childrens doll house

I'm the opposite. I much prefer the graphics of the Sims 2 and 4.
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

Me too! The cute, cartoony graphics feel perfect for me. Not discrediting @Onverser 's opinion, as it is valid, i just don't subscribe to it.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,776 Member

Me three!
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I prefer more realistic graphics too, not extremely realistic for sims, I don't want to see pores and stuff, or for them to look like a real human sitting across from me. But definitely more realistic than the pixar look of TS4 and 100% prefer more realistic environment textures on the grass and trees, hair that looks like hair and not clay, real eyelashes and not a black strip, furniture that actually has the details modeled on it rather than painted on details. So yeah I'm on the less cartoony team too.
    MyriadSims wrote: »

Me too! The cute, cartoony graphics feel perfect for me. Not discrediting @Onverser 's opinion, as it is valid, i just don't subscribe to it.

No worries. It wouldn't be an unpopular opinions thread if it was a popular opinion :D
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I don't really want another version of the Sims. I'm happy with my Sims 4. The only reason I got Sims 4 back in 2014 was because my Sims 3 kept freezing up & I had to uninstall more than half of my packs to play the silly game. It wasn't fair, because I only play Vanilla & off line. However, I'm amazing at how well my Sims 4 is considering I have almost 40 packs & can be online at the same time. And I still play Vanilla. :p
    mewo13 wrote: »
    >

Where did you get this impression? While that may be true in some cases, elders are held in incredibly high regard in Japan (like most Asian countries) with multigenerational households. The Japanese elderly also have the second longest average life spans in the world. There are also more elderly citizens than ANY another age group in Japan. Perhaps they die alone because there are no young people left to take care of them, not due to neglect. The fact they live so long (meaning adequate health care, low-stress lives, good community) makes "lack of care from their children" less credible as an argument.

poor people with low income can have a long life as well. you learn how to survive in the wilderness
  • mewo13mewo13 Posts: 60 Member
    mewo13 wrote: »
    >

poor people with low income can have a long life as well. you learn how to survive in the wilderness
    Yeah, okay, anecdotally you can say some lower-income individuals live long despite their poverty however statistics disagree. On average, a wealthy person will live 8.4 years longer than someone with low income.

Not sure what surviving in the wilderness has to do with anything.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    This is unpopular: I recently got Paranormal on sale because most of the gameplay doesn't interest me. I added the Maxis Haunted House to my game but switched the lot to normal residential. I made a sim who wears multiple outfits and hair all from the pack and moved her in. I named her Antoinette Guidry and I say she's his great-granddaughter who actually doesn't know anything about him but took an ancestry test and was curious to live there in her old family home.

I really like having the flexibility to do that while other people can switch the haunting on as much as they want. She lives in StrangerVille across the street from Ted Roswell and the house actually fits because it's old. If at some point I decide that her house will be haunted, I can switch it.

Honestly, I would do that with more of the stuffpacks if I needed to come up with households. Anyway, giving people flexibility to do what they want is the answer, I think, so using the lot trait to control the setting was a good idea. I mean, they tend to combine historic content with supernatural themes. As long as they find a way to have better gameplay for supernatural players, it is good to be able to turn it off if someone doesn't want that aspect. There are multiple ways to have fun and they are all fine.

I will also say that I've actually had a lot of fun with StrangerVille. It may be because I added a bunch of quirky characters or made the existing ones quirky as well. The small town with a lot of open space to walk around is one version of a good format.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    Controversial, but packs that don't add completely new things and just enhance regular gameplay shouldn't be packs and should be free, as they're not big add-ons and are just improvements to the base game really.

Things like Seasons, Generations, Parenthood, etc. In my opinion dlc should be about totally new experiences like living on an island, or being a witch, or owning a farm, not living in a base game family home with a few added family and weather systems...
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I so agree with you @Onverser . Seasons & Parenthood should've been put in the Base; along with Get to Work, Cats & Dogs,
    Spa Day, Perfect Padio, Muchino Stuff, My First Pet Stuff & Nifty Knitting Stuff. But it is what it is.
  • SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    Here's another one.

I like a lot of the content that some people complain as being "woke" (they really shouldn't be using that word in this sitch, anyway; "woke" isn't a catch-all term for "progressive" or "politically correct") or pandering. I always thought the whole "non-consensual alien impregnation" and "Dazed Sims with the Hates Children trait will suddenly become okay with Try For Baby" things to be creepy and unsettling. I also still have an issue with one Erratic moodlet (although not really with the trait itself).

And sure, EA is only advertising its LGBT+ content because it's profitable, so I'm not giving them a ton of credit for it, but it does make me happy that it *is* profitable to do so.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Controversial, but packs that don't add completely new things and just enhance regular gameplay shouldn't be packs and should be free, as they're not big add-ons and are just improvements to the base game really.

Things like Seasons, Generations, Parenthood, etc. In my opinion dlc should be about totally new experiences like living on an island, or being a witch, or owning a farm, not living in a base game family home with a few added family and weather systems...
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I so agree with you @Onverser . Seasons & Parenthood should've been put in the Base; along with Get to Work, Cats & Dogs,
    Spa Day, Perfect Padio, Muchino Stuff, My First Pet Stuff & Nifty Knitting Stuff. But it is what it is.

Apparently my unpopular opinion of the day is that I neither have nor want Seasons or Parenthood and some other popular DLC, even though I've noticed (before today) that many players seem to believe that pretty much everyone else either has them or wishes they did. Obviously I'm much happier not having such things put into the base game. :lol:

FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
    edited June 2021

Interesting because the Packs and content you want as 'free includes' are the very ones that some reviewers like that 'Carl' person rate as high, while the packs of content like Island and DHD kit they rate as low to extremely low.

I'm on your side in terms of what I desire, but I also don't think any of these are legitimately 'free' as both types require a lot of developer work. If we were paying a monthly subscription it would be one thing, but this constant expectation that software engineers should works for free drives me nuts.

Post edited by Jyotai on
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:

I never got it, but everytime I look at it something about sims 3 just bothers me. I need to look again, maybe it's just one tiny step too far for me into Uncanny Valley.

I likewise prefer cartoony graphics. To me, the visual look of Sims 4 is perfect. So perfect the moment I saw it when I finally looked at Sims again during that April sale on Steam it just looked like "the true game I remembered" even though when I now look back at the original sims they look radically different. This cartoony version just feels 'right'.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top