Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you use mods?

Comments

• JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Absolutely! Mod the world!!!!
    I picked the 1st one as there’s no other choice for me. I always use mods BUT only small fix mods. I don’t use MCcc, a slice of life or personality please or other mods like the ones change the game environments or features. I always enjoy the no autonomous mods and simple bug fix mods.
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    I actually wouldn't play the game without a few of my mods. I've tried and got really bored really fast. Never used to be a problem in TS2, and though I was not a TS3 player I don't hear people saying they couldn't play that game without mods either.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
    It's kind of saying something that 81% of respondents on this poll so far have said either "Absolutely" or "Yes Sometimes," and only 9% said definitely not. ... ...

I think this was a very interesting poll idea, thanks to the OP for posting it. And absolutely no shade to you if you do enjoy the game without mods. Wish I did because life would be simpler. :)
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    However, I really dislike having to deal with broken mods because of frequent patches.
    So I just keep track of all the mods I like and I plan to fully enjoy TS4 whenever they decide to move on to Sims 5
    I hope I don't die before that happens. o:)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • LesleyALesleyA Posts: 30 Member
    Personally I love mods. I probably spend more time browsing the xml files than I do actually playing the game. I just wish my art skills were any good to make assets.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Yes because I dislike the emotion system in place so I use a mod to fix it. So your sims aren’t always happy and when they are sad they stay sad for a long time. It’s very refreshing to have it different from the vanilla game.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    No. But I've considered and am curious.
    I play The Sims 4 on PC.
    I do not use mods.
    I have thought about using some mods, but then I usually change my mind afterwards. Reasons would be:
    (1) too much readme information
    (2) I like a clean catalog, because I can upload lots cleanly
    (3) game incompatibility
    (4) not really suitable for my play-style
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    Yes. I use mainly MCCC and Meaningful Stories.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • AaleynAaleyn Posts: 293 Member
    Absolutely Not! I don't need mods to have fun in the game.
    I like how this answer was worded, it describes very well how I feel.
    I don't use mods.
    (I don't use any CC either).
    I enjoy playing my game vanilla, I have a lot of fun playing the game as it is. :smile:
    "Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Yes, absolutely! But, I use CC a lot more. Mods are mostly just to fix annoying things (like townies from other neighborhoods always in my world, allowing kids to walk dogs, etc) or things that are broken. But CC? All the time! I need real eyelashes and better hair and shoes, and plants!
  • AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    I've modded my poor game to heck and back. For the majority of my mods though I use 3 specific creators who are very good about updating. I'm very careful not to use mods that interfere with each other and I have an excel sheet with links for my mods that I use every update. So far my game doesn't have issues. It does take work every update though for sure haha
  • skybird14skybird14 Posts: 90 Member
    I didn't feel the need to use many mods with TS2 or TS3 but I wouldn't play TS4 without them. For me, they add a bit more depth to the game.
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Console: No, I see little reason for them.
    I'd love to see videos from some of you "Mod the Worlders" to see just how the mods make the so much better and how you couldn't play the game without them. Since I've never used mods but still thoroughly love Sims 4, it seems bizarre to me that mods are so much needed to make it fun.

This is not meant to be a criticism of anyone. I'm truly curious about it. So if you can share some videos, I'd love to see them!
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    I think I couldn't go back to play without mccc and other mods. Thinking of how many background sims I had to killed in my decadechallenge when rolling the dice of the deathroll, without mccc I wouldn't be finish yet. Also I love the cash at register mod, where the clients stood in line at the register to pay for it. Unfortunately it's outdated and it doesn't seem that it will be updated anytime soon.
    edited June 2021
    Daravi wrote: »
    I think I couldn't go back to play without mccc and other mods. Thinking of how many background sims I had to killed in my decadechallenge when rolling the dice of the deathroll, without mccc I wouldn't be finish yet. Also I love the cash at register mod, where the clients stood in line at the register to pay for it. Unfortunately it's outdated and it doesn't seem that it will be updated anytime soon.

That's a pity because that is definitely a mod I could see myself considering.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member

That's a pity because that is definitely a mod I could see myself considering.

Yeah it's a pity, it's still working most of the time, at least for me, but it causes error messages from better excemption and other users wrote that it will conflict with other mods. And sometime you have to debug the clients. The last update was in december.

Yeah it's a pity, it's still working most of the time, at least for me, but it causes error messages from better excemption and other users wrote that it will conflict with other mods. And sometime you have to debug the clients. The last update was in december.

Hmm, that's another issue I think I would have with mods. If one mod conflicts with another.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    Mods too numerous to list and lovely custom content is why I do not upload to the gallery very often. I have my game just where I want it now and it is a joy to play! <3

I wanted very much to share a particular build — one I had to fight with (metaphorically speaking) to get it to turn out as close to the floor plan I was following. I'm very pleased with the results. The obvious modded content I removed. What I had forgotten about was the marvelous Old World Flooring cc I had. Once I stripped the floors down to the basic wood flooring from the game, and that took some doing, mind you, I was finally able to upload it without that annoying modded symbol. :open_mouth: Well, at least I can be more mindful the next time.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I need more gameplay and depth... also things like MC Command Center, UI cheats extension and more CAS columns are a must for me
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    I played base game vanilla for months, and I loved it. Then I decided to check out some CC and gameplay mods (had a ton for Sims 2; game could easily take 20 minutes to load). I'm not going back; tons of CAS items and gameplay mods, especially ones that flesh out occult lifestages. I don't need them to play the game, but using that logic I don't need to play the game at all. It adds to my enjoyment of the game, so I will.

I've never understood the mindset of not wanting to use mods because the developers should be the ones to fix/enhance gameplay. Yes, they should, but if they haven't done that to my satisfaction and a modder has, why shouldn't I use the mod? Spite won't improve my gameplay. I don't even mind running around looking for updates after each patch, especially because half the time the patch breaks something new which a modder can fix in a couple days.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    Console: Absolutely would love to if I could!
    I have some Mods downloaded for my PC version of Sims 4, which I only have the base game for. I downloaded a Harry Potter type mod, and some other mods I wanted to try out, one being a Zombie mod.
    For my PS4/console, I pretty much have all the games, and I wish I had mods, especially if I want to create a specific character. Not having mods has kind of forced me how to figure out how to make the Sims I create look like the character with what is available to me.
    I like CC and Mods, and would love to have it for console if given a chance.
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I'd love to see videos from some of you "Mod the Worlders" to see just how the mods make the so much better and how you couldn't play the game without them. Since I've never used mods but still thoroughly love Sims 4, it seems bizarre to me that mods are so much needed to make it fun.

This is not meant to be a criticism of anyone. I'm truly curious about it. So if you can share some videos, I'd love to see them!

This might be a bit long-winded, but...

I like to create stories, and mods give me more control and more options for the stories I want to make. I'm a huge control freak when it comes to my "creations" so mods are a must-have. I also use a handful of "no autonomy" mods to quell annoying and excessive actions sims do.

MCCC is a great mod for giving me control of my world. Story progression doesn't exist in the vanilla game, and MCCC gives me the ability to have my townies get married and have children. I love having my townies actually have lives and children and watching them grow old alongside my families. The world feel so bland to me without story progression. MCCC also allows me to disable situational outfits (and I use Sim Spawn Overhaul and NPCC to stop the ones MCCC doesn't) because I find situational outfits immersion breaking (and outright stupid, imo). I also have the ability to customize my sims lifespans and increase their cost of living. That's just a drop of what I use MCCC for. Having more options and more control of my world and my sims is something that is important to me and an unmodded game just doesn't give that to me.

I use other mods to stop NPCs from being generated because I want to use the sims I created instead. Why is this not an option in the vanilla game? I use a mod to stop random NPCs from joining my conversations on a whim. Why? Because it annoys me and ruins conversations and I don't think it's realistic when they do it. I use mods to stop the emotional walks. Why? Because I hate them, especially the confident and energized walks. I use quite a few mods to change design choices that annoy me.

But I also like to use several big gameplay mods that ADD to the game. Meaningful Stories is so important to me because I'm not a fan of the emotional system. I hate how the game floods my sims with positive emotions and completely overwrites anything negative. I want my sims to FEEL something when a loved one dies, not be happy because they just had a tasty meal and a good workout. Wonderful Whims gives my sims actual attraction toward other sims, and that helps me with the stories I want to make. It also adds periods and ovulation, which I hate in real life, but love in game because it adds to realism. I'm also using a mod (Healthcare Redux) that gives my sims more illnesses to treat, chronic conditions like anxiety and asthma, and allergies to pets, dust and bees. It also gives my sims the ability to have prenatal visits when pregnant, and the chance to develop pregnancy complications.

I understand these aren't features everyone wants, and that's perfectly fine... but that's why mods are great to me. Mods give me the options to have the things that I want (or don't want). Mods are the tools I use to craft my world and create my stories. I have them available to me and I'm going to use them.
    @NightlyCoffee Which mod do you use to stop the game from generating townies? Will it still create townies for roles where they are required and none of the existing Sims meet the necessary role? I have looked around at this because I have culling off with MCCC but the game keeps adding more Sims that really aren't necessary, but I'm nervous that things will go wonky if I stop townie generation entirely
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    @GirafHuntr I'm currently using NPCC to stop NPCs from being generated and also use it to assign NPCs to roles. It's customizable and allows you to stop them completely or allow NPCs to be generated if no one in town can fill a role. I also utilize the flag system in MCCC to prevent any NPC (I flag them with freeze flag career) that I don't want assigned to anything in town.

It's a controversial mod because the creator currently has it locked behind his Patreon account. There is an alternative from Zero called No Random Townies that works well, too.
    @NightlyCoffee Awesome, thanks