Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Cottage Living Expansion Pack

Comments

• MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »
    Another matter is related to the Crumblebottom cousins, why are they starting so old?
    The Crumplebottoms are canon from Sims 1 and Sims 2. Miss Crumplebottom (the one with the purse) was from Sims 1.

Mrs. Crumplebottom - not the same as Miss Crumplebottom from Sims 1 - was from Sims 2. She was actually an object within the game, not a Sim, and couldn't be de-aged or otherwise cheated to be in your family.

From the wiki:

"Mrs. CrumpleBottom, upon viewing in SimPE, is treated as an object. Her data is located in objects.package in the game files. Thus, Mrs. CrumpleBottom cannot be interacted with in any way. Any attempt to interact with her will result in the Sim being lectured. Mrs. CrumpleBottom can be bitten by a vampire, upon which Mrs. CrumpleBottom will have the same stricken gesture as any other bitten Sim, however she does not convert and remains the same. As this autonomous interaction alters the objects.package file, game corruption will occur to the current and every subsequent neighborhoods being played, which can only be resolved by reinstalling the game. It is determined that she is an object, akin to all universal NPCs in the game."

Miss Crumplebottom from Sims 1 was reintroduced in Sims 3 as a young adult. It turns out she was widowed - a couple of times, iirc - and her first name is Agnes. I don't believe the one from Sims 2 was ever given a first name, but I could be wrong.

I think they're starting old because that's part of the joke throughout the series. It wouldn't be nearly as funny having a young woman hit you with a purse for kissing someone.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I think it looks good. I'm wondering if we will see people wonder why we don't got any horses...

I'm not so sure about the buy by september 2nd and you will get three additional items. It's kinda like a pre-order but not really because it's available for a month after release. It doesn't mix well with them releasing their packs with bugs where we have to wait months for them to be fixed, I still have trouble with my plants reverting to dirt piles.

Tcuhr8d.png

Not to be cynical or distrusting, but any bets on the pack going on sale 3 September or soon thereafter?
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    edited June 2021
    I think it looks good. I'm wondering if we will see people wonder why we don't got any horses...

I'm not so sure about the buy by september 2nd and you will get three additional items. It's kinda like a pre-order but not really because it's available for a month after release. It doesn't mix well with them releasing their packs with bugs where we have to wait months for them to be fixed, I still have trouble with my plants reverting to dirt piles.

Tcuhr8d.png

Not to be cynical or distrusting, but any bets on the pack going on sale 3 September or soon thereafter?

I think this is the point to the cut off date. :D I believe they are trying to entice people to buy before it goes on sale and possibly before it is available for bundle.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »

Tcuhr8d.png

I think this is the point to the cut off date. :D I believe they are trying to entice people to buy before it goes on sale and possibly before it is available for bundle.

Now that would be something if you weren't able to bundle this particular pack until after September.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Yep, I somehow expect that the pack won't be available for bundling until that offer is expired.
    But hey, if they want me to spend only 40€ for a single EP rather than 50€ for a bundle... fine with that.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • AaleynAaleyn Posts: 293 Member

I think for a lot of people, myself included, I'm frustrated with it in the sense that they've already created the items so just put them in the pack. Same with the Country Kitchen Kit. They made it knowing full well they were releasing a Cottage style pack that it would fit perfectly with. We could have just had two new kitchen sets but instead you have to buy one for $5 if you want that style of furniture in your game.

Personally I like Kits: the players can add new content to their games if they want, and there is a specific theme in each Kit.
    (I have bought all the Kits, except Bust the Dust Kit, which just isn't "my cup of tea", but I'm happy that it's available for those who like it and want it).
    I think that it's very good that the Country Kitchen Kit is the way it is. There is many players (myself included) who like to have such style of a kitchen set in their games and it's great that it's possible to buy it separately. If it would be included in the coming new EP, then those players who don't want to buy that EP, wouldn't be able to have a Country Kitchen set.
    There seems to be a new kitchen set in this coming new EP, which is good; then it would have been quite questionable situation if it would have been that there wouldn't be any new kitchen set in the new EP, and it would make it look like: then the players would need to buy the Kit to be getting the country style kitchen set. Luckily that is not the case, as there will be a new nice looking kitchen set as it seems :smile:
    "Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    Aaleyn wrote: »

I think for a lot of people, myself included, I'm frustrated with it in the sense that they've already created the items so just put them in the pack. Same with the Country Kitchen Kit. They made it knowing full well they were releasing a Cottage style pack that it would fit perfectly with. We could have just had two new kitchen sets but instead you have to buy one for $5 if you want that style of furniture in your game.

Personally I like Kits: the players can add new content to their games if they want, and there is a specific theme in each Kit.
    (I have bought all the Kits, except Bust the Dust Kit, which just isn't "my cup of tea", but I'm happy that it's available for those who like it and want it).
    I think that it's very good that the Country Kitchen Kit is the way it is. There is many players (myself included) who like to have such style of a kitchen set in their games and it's great that it's possible to buy it separately. If it would be included in the coming new EP, then those players who don't want to buy that EP, wouldn't be able to have a Country Kitchen set.
    There seems to be a new kitchen set in this coming new EP, which is good; then it would have been quite questionable situation if it would have been that there wouldn't be any new kitchen set in the new EP, and it would make it look like: then the players would need to buy the Kit to be getting the country style kitchen set. Luckily that is not the case, as there will be a new nice looking kitchen set as it seems :smile:

I totally get what you're saying but I just don't think they can create Kits and claim them to be super narrow in scope (like Bust The Dust) and create a County Kitchen set then release an expansion that expands on the country aesthetic.

A player could hate country style decor and still want vacuums in their game but to think a player would buy a country kitchen kit but not an expansion that's heavily country decor doesn't add up.
  • Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,898 Member
    edited June 2021
    They put horses in Sims 3 so we don't get horses in this pack. That makes no sense. I wonder if those llamas, cows and chickens count towards the 8 Sim limit or are they like the chicken coop from the Sims 3 Store. They probably don't from the looks of it.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    It looks cute but no fairies in the trailer :'( .

Tcuhr8d.png

This bit gives the trailer a bitter taste in my mouth. I usually have to wait for a sale and now I get punished for that? I hate time limited content. This is urging people to buy things sooner than they may have planned. I really like the look of that bike but is it worth paying 20€ extra by not waiting for a sale?

I get what you're saying but I mean, it's still a business. Honestly, all businesses want people to pay full price and not wait for sales, right? In the end, they have costs and salaries and an overhead to make up. Not saying EA isn't hemorrhaging money, but even small businesses do things like this. They're just giving more incentive. Many game companies offer special extras only for preorders, so I think in comparison to that, it's good they're at least giving people a couple of months leeway.

As for the pack itself, it's so much better looking than I expected for a "farming" theme so I'm actually excited for it.
    #Team Occult
    They put horses in Sims 3 so we don't get horses in this pack. That makes no sense. I wonder if those llamas, cows and chickens count towards the 8 Sim limit or are they like the chicken coop from the Sims 3 Store. They probably don't from the looks of it.

I believe it was announced that they are like the chicken coop from Sims 3 Store where you place the stable/barn (whatever it's called haha) and you purchase the llamas and cows through the building. 1 cow/llama per building.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

Tcuhr8d.png

This bit gives the trailer a bitter taste in my mouth. I usually have to wait for a sale and now I get punished for that? I hate time limited content. This is urging people to buy things sooner than they may have planned. I really like the look of that bike but is it worth paying 20€ extra by not waiting for a sale?

I get what you're saying but I mean, it's still a business. Honestly, all businesses want people to pay full price and not wait for sales, right? In the end, they have costs and salaries and an overhead to make up. Not saying EA isn't hemorrhaging money, but even small businesses do things like this. They're just giving more incentive. Many game companies offer special extras only for preorders, so I think in comparison to that, it's good they're at least giving people a couple of months leeway.

As for the pack itself, it's so much better looking than I expected for a "farming" theme so I'm actually excited for it.

It may be common practice to offer a get this now or never deal but I think it is very rude and pushy. It looks like they are giving a reward to people who pre order but at the same time anyone who misses out on this will never get another chance of completing their game. For the deluxe edition, they added an upgrade which people can buy, so that's still available. It's much more fair that way.
    But you have a point when you say that they want us to buy at full price. After all EA (not the developers but higher up) only care about the profits.

As for the pack itself, I agree with you. It looks far more interesting than I thought it would. I am happy they went for a small town and not a huge modern farm with tractors.
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 446 Member
    It goes on the list of game expansions I have zero interest in and will never buy. Pets and Eco are also on that list.
    rhalius wrote: »
    It goes on the list of game expansions I have zero interest in and will never buy. Pets and Eco are also on that list.

I wish I had you will power haha The Sims 4 is the last series of Sims games I'll be collecting. It's also the first Sims franchise game I haven't bought all the packs on release day or pre-ordered but rather wait for a sale.
  • AaleynAaleyn Posts: 293 Member
    edited June 2021

I totally get what you're saying but I just don't think they can create Kits and claim them to be super narrow in scope (like Bust The Dust) and create a County Kitchen set then release an expansion that expands on the country aesthetic.

A player could hate country style decor and still want vacuums in their game but to think a player would buy a country kitchen kit but not an expansion that's heavily country decor doesn't add up.

I'm actually one of those: I bought the Country Kitchen Kit but I most likely won't buy the "Farming" EP :smile:
    The EP seems very good based on the trailer, and there is many nice features in it, that I would like to have in my game, but still I feel that it just isn't for me as I'm not so much interested in farming and that type of play style :smile:
    I'm sad that Ms Crumplebottom will be in this new EP, I like the character very much, and I didn't expect that she would be included in the "Farming" pack, so I was quite surprised to see that this is the pack that she will be included (I was thinking that she might be included in some type of Romance themed pack, if we would get that at some point; it would have been a fun addition that she would be there to show her disapproval when she sees happy couples :smiley: ). So it seems that I'm not going to have Ms Crumplebottom in my game if I don't buy the "Farming" EP :neutral: But even when thinking all the nice features the new EP has, I most likely won't buy it.
    However I'm happy for everyone who are excited about it and have been waiting for long time to get a "Farming" EP :smile:

"Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 446 Member
    rhalius wrote: »

I wish I had you will power haha The Sims 4 is the last series of Sims games I'll be collecting. It's also the first Sims franchise game I haven't bought all the packs on release day or pre-ordered but rather wait for a sale.

Oh for Sims 2 I got everything, but Sims 3 made it really easy to skip a lot of things because they overcharged all the store content stuff and the game got too slow for me to keep buying expansions at some point.

And sims 4 well.. the prices are better but what's offered is often too boring.
    I only play adult sims, never kids and play with aging off. And don't care for pets, I just see them as an annoyance and the sims can't do anything about it. Dogs can attack sims, but sims can't kick a dog after being attacked.

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

Tcuhr8d.png

It may be common practice to offer a get this now or never deal but I think it is very rude and pushy. It looks like they are giving a reward to people who pre order but at the same time anyone who misses out on this will never get another chance of completing their game. For the deluxe edition, they added an upgrade which people can buy, so that's still available. It's much more fair that way.
    But you have a point when you say that they want us to buy at full price. After all EA (not the developers but higher up) only care about the profits.

As for the pack itself, I agree with you. It looks far more interesting than I thought it would. I am happy they went for a small town and not a huge modern farm with tractors.

Yeah, that's basically it. They reward those who are willing to pay full price within the first two months of release. But then, hasn't The Sims had other rewards, like getting extra objects for owning X amount of Sims 3 packs and such? I remember being bummed back in the beginning after TS4's release because I didn't own any TS3 packs and was going to miss out on some stuff. I mean, they could microtransaction all of the rewards, but we'd probably also have people upset about that too. The people who get the rewards would be upset if those rewards eventually went up for purchase separately because it would mean they could have waited for a sale and spent less money in the long run.

It's essentially this; spend more money faster, get rewards. But you have a fair argument and I don't know if there's a better solution that would make everyone happy.
    #Team Occult
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member

Tcuhr8d.png

I would not be surprised if their next pack gets released soon thereafter.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    It is blatant psychological manipulation to get more sales and get them more quickly

I mean, yes. Sales people use manipulation to increase sales.

Also, water is wet.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    It is blatant psychological manipulation to get more sales and get them more quickly

Also, water is wet.

So what you're saying is, sales is a fundamentally awful practice. I agree with that.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io

Also, water is wet.

So what you're saying is, sales is a fundamentally awful practice. I agree with that.

I mean... I wouldn't personally want to work in sales? But I'm also kind of glad that there are people who exist who can sell me the things I want?

Capitalism is capitalism. It has its pros and cons. I think we can be realistic about the latter (which sometimes means being negative), but also acknowledge that this game is a product, we all obviously like playing it and are glad that it's here to one degree or another, and so we are also engaging in the practice of capitalism by purchasing it. So, yeah, manipulation to increase sales is not the most virtuous thing. But it's also not an OH MY GOD SHOCKING thing that EA invented from wholecloth. It is what it is. Manage yourself accordingly.
    I mean... I wouldn't personally want to work in sales? But I'm also kind of glad that there are people who exist who can sell me the things I want?

Capitalism is capitalism. It has its pros and cons. I think we can be realistic about the latter (which sometimes means being negative), but also acknowledge that this game is a product, we all obviously like playing it and are glad that it's here to one degree or another, and so we are also engaging in the practice of capitalism by purchasing it. So, yeah, manipulation to increase sales is not the most virtuous thing. But it's also not an OH MY GOD SHOCKING thing that EA invented from wholecloth. It is what it is. Manage yourself accordingly.

Ah so you're trying to normalize what they're doing by saying it's all the same and it's just how things work. You sure you don't work in sales?
    edited June 2021

Ah so you're trying to normalize what they're doing by saying it's all the same and it's just how things work. You sure you don't work in sales?

I don't have to work in sales to observe the world around me; it literally is how things work, regardless of how I feel about it. Preorder bonuses for games have been around for twenty years at least. Good or bad, EA didn't invent them. You don't have to like it, but you also don't have to buy them.
    I don't have to work in sales to observe the world around me; it literally is how things work, regardless of how I feel about it. Preorder bonuses for games have been around for twenty years at least. Good or bad, EA didn't invent them. You don't have to like it, but you also don't have to buy them.

Literally just making up a guy to argue with and be dismissive of. Not interested.
  • ElyssaXElyssaX Posts: 4 New Member
    > @Triplis said:
    > Ah so you're trying to normalize what they're doing by saying it's all the same and it's just how things work. You sure you don't work in sales?

It is normal. And it is not only online... Sale tactics in stores are usually the "buy 3 and get two in discount" or "buy 3 for 1 free". In this way a store ensures more purchases of items by putting a nice promotion behind it. Similarly, for online stores. With games it is more difficult to apply, as the main thing they sell are games. So obviously this was a new way for game developers and studios to sell their product and ensure sales by offering a promotion. It is actually how things work. I mean, just try to envision yourself in a position where you have to market and sell your product. Wouldn't you want to ensure as most purchases as possible?
    ElyssaX wrote: »
    It is normal. And it is not only online... Sale tactics in stores are usually the "buy 3 and get two in discount" or "buy 3 for 1 free". In this way a store ensures more purchases of items by putting a nice promotion behind it. Similarly, for online stores. With games it is more difficult to apply, as the main thing they sell are games. So obviously this was a new way for game developers and studios to sell their product and ensure sales by offering a promotion. It is actually how things work. I mean, just try to envision yourself in a position where you have to market and sell your product. Wouldn't you want to ensure as most purchases as possible?

There was a time when the norm for video games was you bought a physical disk in a store and that was the end of the transaction. No DLC, no MTX, no patches, end of story. No amount of weird hypothetical theoretical talk about sales tactics changes that. Don't @ me with that stuff, I'm just not going to engage with it, there is nothing to argue.