Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please fix the emotions system

I love Likes and Dislikes, I love this game. But the emotion system is really a mess. Happy emotions (like being happy by central heating) still overpowers tense or uncomfortable emotions sometimes. I also want my Sims to stop feeling inspired by the decors in her house every day, I mean she's been living in that house for years already. And other happy emotions should never overpower grieving emotions. Like for example, a Sim is grieving for her father but she still feels Inspired by something. And grieving should not be only for 2 days. When someone very dear to them dies, I feel like it should put some scars in their hearts...or something like that, I dunno.

I hope Sims team will keep improving it, especially this emotions system.

Comments

• QuillWriterQuillWriter Posts: 67 Member
    I agree. The emotions system seems like a good idea conceptually, but I feel its current execution is lacking. I remember in one of the surveys they did in the past year or so, I specifically pointed out that I actually would rather return to the old personality point system where my sims' actions were actually controlled within that spectrum of points they had, than for all the samey-samey Sims who have emotions that don't really affect their behavior in any concrete way.

For example, neat Sims actually got excited and had fun cleaning in past games, whereas sloppy Sims really just did not care or notice if their house was full of garbage. It made for some fun conflict with extremely neat and extremely sloppy Sims living together.

Another good example were shy versus outgoing Sims in previous iterations. Having a shy Sim made it even harder than it already was to make and maintain friendships, but it was a fun challenge. And again, some extremes and personalities just did not get along well together unless you really worked at it.

In Sims 4, I don't find it all that hard for my Sims to make or keep friends, and there's really not much in the way of actual Sim behavior to indicate shyness when you want to play a shy Sim.

Now in all fairness, I think the lifestyles and likes/dislikes have started to try to address this. But I can't help but feel that it's still rather like putting a fresh coat of paint on the shed that's ready to collapse outback. Until there's some structural overhaul to fix the problems, all it's going to do is make the shed *look* pretty, not make it more stable.

Tldr; the emotional buffs are poorly designed and don't actually affect Sim behavior enough to make my Sims distinct from one another. Either fix them or give me back my personality points and zodiac, please.
  • chuckjaymoorechuckjaymoore Posts: 60 Member
    sGUvQNF.png

In The Sims 4 Update on 5/27/2021, A Sim gets a fine +1 Sparkling Clean Surroundings (From Being in a Clean area). This is very irritating when I want my Sim to complete the Painting Extraordinaire asperation and it's very difficult to get my Sim to be inspired. The Bust the Dust kit was already busted. Inspired +1 wasn't bad, but Fine +1 really takes the cake. The Sims team is overdoing it with the fine moodlet. Tiny Living and Snowy Escape were more than enough. At least with Fine +10 I can surge emotion. Why can't Sparkling Clean Surroundings be a happy +1 instead?
    Gallery ID: 1mooresimmer
    YouTube channel: youtube.com/@1mooresimmer/
    TikTok: tiktok.com/@1mooresimmer
  • Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    OMG your Sim's only grieve 2 days. I feel like my are 4 days at least which is a long time considered the age span of sims. If every day is roughly a year, 2-4 years is a long time to be sad all day every day after a death. I know the death of a loved one hurts real bad and stays with us, but most people do not spend a full 2-3 years actively feeling sad 24/7
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    Dannakyri1 wrote: »
    OMG your Sim's only grieve 2 days. I feel like my are 4 days at least which is a long time considered the age span of sims. If every day is roughly a year, 2-4 years is a long time to be sad all day every day after a death. I know the death of a loved one hurts real bad and stays with us, but most people do not spend a full 2-3 years actively feeling sad 24/7

OMG who said a day is a year in the Sims? WHERE did you read it? what if I play with aging off? I just want it to be a little longer, maybe a week. And I want them to be at least reminded by it, YOU KNOW, to make things more meaningful :) Just a suggestion :)
    sGUvQNF.png

In The Sims 4 Update on 5/27/2021, A Sim gets a fine +1 Sparkling Clean Surroundings (From Being in a Clean area). This is very irritating when I want my Sim to complete the Painting Extraordinaire asperation and it's very difficult to get my Sim to be inspired. The Bust the Dust kit was already busted. Inspired +1 wasn't bad, but Fine +1 really takes the cake. The Sims team is overdoing it with the fine moodlet. Tiny Living and Snowy Escape were more than enough. At least with Fine +10 I can surge emotion. Why can't Sparkling Clean Surroundings be a happy +1 instead?

I like it better if it's like that. It feels more realistic and adds a challenge.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited June 2021
    Not only the emotion... if they could also fix the "common sense".

Don't dance if you dislike the music.
    Don't stop to eat if you dislike to cook. Just grab a quick meal !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iT4uXtFsK8
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited June 2021
    I do prefer it at least when the emotion in question is happy. Because while happy can override other emotions, it only enhances them if they are just as strong (happy will feed into inspired, for example, and make a sim more inspired). Fine however is it's own emotion, if you can call it that. It only overrides other emotions. At least if you're happy about the AC, it will make you more inspired, which makes some sense. But they should all be little +1s. I hated the +4 inspired for having a pristine floor. Seriously? Mod, mod, mod...
    Dannakyri1 wrote: »

OMG who said a day is a year in the Sims? WHERE did you read it? what if I play with aging off? I just want it to be a little longer, maybe a week. And I want them to be at least reminded by it, YOU KNOW, to make things more meaningful :) Just a suggestion :)

What would be better (and kind of cool) is if they randomly got sad buffs for lost love ones. They get happy buffs for being a happy toddler all the time, for crying out loud. Big events should have a permanent (but not on all the time) impact. Deaths, weddings, divorces, birth of a child, etc should have a memory buff that returns from time to time.

PS a day is sort of a year for a sim, at least if you play on normal lifespan. It comes out to about an 80 day life. You just can't really treat it that way, but I think they meant 2-3 days is already like about a 30th of their life.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Oh yeah defenitely!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited June 2021
    Lifestyles put another layer of emotions.

It could be cut into 2 categories :
    • Global feeling : Decoration, Lifestyle, ... it defines how strong is the current mood. For example be sad instead of very sad
    • Current mood : Death, divorce, ... a strong emotion which influence the behavior
  • LA_sports_girl87LA_sports_girl87 Posts: 24 Member
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    What would be better (and kind of cool) is if they randomly got sad buffs for lost love ones. They get happy buffs for being a happy toddler all the time, for crying out loud. Big events should have a permanent (but not on all the time) impact. Deaths, weddings, divorces, birth of a child, etc should have a memory buff that returns from time to time.

YES!!! I really, really wish that major events would come up more often to impact their moods! It would be a small thing, but IMO it would really elevate gameplay.

• CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    It would be nice if sims' actions weren't completely dictated by emotion. It's not really relatable. You're not gonna yell at the next person you see just because you're angry. It would also be nice to have more tools at your disposal to calm a sim down.
  • shailaputriishailaputrii Posts: 64 Member
    I also want my Sims to stop feeling inspired by the decors in her house every day, I mean she's been living in that house for years already.

time is just but an illusion of the Master
  • aoi_SIMSaoi_SIMS Posts: 6 New Member
    First of all, please understand that I am not good at English, so my sentences are a bit strange.

This is just how I feel about this system, but I think that a sim's reaction to something they dislike should be boredom, not tension.
    For example, do you get frustrated when you see a piece of furniture that we in the real world don't like? At least I don't feel that way.
    When we have to listen to music we don't like, we may feel bored rather than nervous (irritation).

Of course, there are many areas that have been made very comfortable by this additional system. For example, it's so cute to see sim coming home after working hard and getting soothed by listening to his favorite music.
    However, it is not fitting in for me to see a Sim who gets nervous and takes out his frustration on other Sims just because there is one piece of furniture in front of him that he doesn't like.

I enjoy this system, but I can't set my sims to something I don't like because of this, so I hope they can improve on this a bit.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    The grief thing is a mess. Toddlers and infants shouldn't have their entire developmental years tainted by deep depression because the letter carrier died.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • lifeofdaydreamslifeofdaydreams Posts: 44 Member
    I feel like the emotions system as a whole needs tweaking, but especially when it interacts with the sentiments system. Situations like cheating vs. reprimanding a toddler for having a tantrum have widely disproportional consequences. It's frankly quite baffling.
  • LoppyLooLoppyLoo Posts: 58 Member
    I would like the sims team to improve the emotional system in the sims 4 and put longer emotional moment in there because i feel the emotions get overriding by the other emotions. it feel too quick to go through moment with sims.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    I fully disagree with what is said in this post i fine the emotions perfect as they are and working fine
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    I fully disagree with what is said in this post i fine the emotions perfect as they are and working fine

No, it's not working fine. They need to improve it.
    each plays the game differently and for me emotion system works fine in the game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited June 2021
    aoi_SIMS wrote: »
    First of all, please understand that I am not good at English, so my sentences are a bit strange.

This is just how I feel about this system, but I think that a sim's reaction to something they dislike should be boredom, not tension.
    For example, do you get frustrated when you see a piece of furniture that we in the real world don't like? At least I don't feel that way.
    When we have to listen to music we don't like, we may feel bored rather than nervous (irritation).
    Listening to music I hate goes far beyond bored for me tense/annoyed seems like a perfect response though everyone does not react the same

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    each plays the game differently and for me emotion system works fine in the game

Can I just ask how? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to attack you.

For me positive emotions are always overlapping negative ones. I can be friendly with a sim that my sim supposably doesn't like because is happy of being in a great environment, or is flirty for watching tv... evrything goes against the sim nature.

How do you manage to play fine with emotions?

For me it's a big problem that affects other things in game. If it was fixed I could find a way to enjoy TS4. I try to play rotative like in TS2 and doesn't work, try to play an individual family like in TS3 and it also doesn't work for me.

I don't know how to make TS4 enjoyable without mods.
    edited June 2021
    i keep aging off and keep sims needs max up by disabaling needs decay i much prefer to see sims happy and positive but thats my choice as a player

edited June 2021
    Renato10 wrote: »

Can I just ask how? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to attack you.

For me positive emotions are always overlapping negative ones. I can be friendly with a sim that my sim supposably doesn't like because is happy of being in a great environment, or is flirty for watching tv... evrything goes against the sim nature.

How do you manage to play fine with emotions?

For me it's a big problem that affects other things in game. If it was fixed I could find a way to enjoy TS4. I try to play rotative like in TS2 and doesn't work, try to play an individual family like in TS3 and it also doesn't work for me.

I don't know how to make TS4 enjoyable without mods.

I agree. Too much useless buffs like the decor or delicious food buffs overlap the more stronger and important emotions. For example, my Sim gets attacked by the birds while using the bird feeder. Instead of feeling angry, she will still feel happy because she ate a delicious lunch like 2 hours ago. She will feel the anger emotion hours later, after the delicious lunch buff is over.

Too much positive emotions makes them feel unreal...like robotic or something. I love this game, don't get me wrong. But the emotion system is just bugging me.

I don't play with mods though. I just wish the team will fix it.
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    @friendlysimmers That’s understandable; What annoys some players won’t annoy others, so it’s all good if the emotions system works for you. : )

For me the emotions system isn’t a massive game ruining problem, but as someone who doesn’t use mods, I do think bereavement ought to last a little longer than two days if the person lost was very close to the Sim, and maybe a little less long if it was someone the Sim didn’t know very well or didn’t have much of a relationship bar with. Then again those who prefer a happier game would probably find that irritating, I imagine. I don’t think there’s a way to necessarily ‘fix’ the Emotions system because what will fix it for some will ruin it for others. Some want a more realistic experience, others want a happier, more cheery experience. I don’t think there’s a way to make the system work well enough for both sides.
    they/them or she/her