Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living: Prep and Plans

Comments

• Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Is it Dorothy?
  • Options
    amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    I’m loving everyone’s gameplay ideas! <3 You can tell this is a highly anticipated pack :D

I’ll be moving a sim from my legacy play to the new world. Benji is the sixth heir in the Weatherby family legacy that I started when Seasons came out (my game progresses slowly, I know :wink:). He’s only a child now, but by the time Cottage Living releases I plan to have him grown up, finished university, finished in the Civil Designer career from EL and finally married, ready to uproot his life and move to Henford-on-Bagley where he and his new wife will have to quickly learn how to garden, cook, fish, look after livestock etc.

I don’t know where they’ll live until I see the world. I’m hoping there’ll be a nice big lot to renovate seeing as I plan on growing their family there.
  • Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    I have been waiting for a thread like this. I’m on Gen 10 of my royal family legacy. The Gen 10 heir has stepped away from royal life for now. She’s living an anonymous life. I’m doing the perfect sim challenge (complete all aspirations, careers and get to level 10 for all skills) with her and have turned off aging. She’s currently at uni studying biology to become a doctor.

Once she has completed uni she is going to move in with her Uncle. He stepped away from royal life and is self made. He and his wife live in a decently big but cute cottage (I have built this already with current in game assesses and will adjust it once the EP is out) in Henford In Bagley with their four kids and grumpy old cat.

She is going to work at her uncles doctors practice (Her uncle is a doctor too). She’ll become best friends with the town nurse Connie and hang out with a cast of characters with interwoven stories. She might even find romance with Connie’s cousin Lance the Llama Farmer.

I have already created Connie and the other Sims that live in Henford on Bagley - I’ve set up their relationships and skill - they are basically just waiting to move in.
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    I play rotationally with townies and a few of my own households. So far, the only plan I have is to add cows and chickens to the Munch household, and maybe chickens within Meredith Roswell's home.

Otherwise, I'm rather looking forward to seeing the new premades within the game!
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Yup, it's Dorothy! I wanted to give it a twist to the classic story.
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Kamio wrote: »
    I have been waiting for a thread like this. I’m on Gen 10 of my royal family legacy. The Gen 10 heir has stepped away from royal life for now. She’s living an anonymous life. I’m doing the perfect sim challenge (complete all aspirations, careers and get to level 10 for all skills) with her and have turned off aging. She’s currently at uni studying biology to become a doctor.

Once she has completed uni she is going to move in with her Uncle. He stepped away from royal life and is self made. He and his wife live in a decently big but cute cottage (I have built this already with current in game assesses and will adjust it once the EP is out) in Henford In Bagley with their four kids and grumpy old cat.

She is going to work at her uncles doctors practice (Her uncle is a doctor too). She’ll become best friends with the town nurse Connie and hang out with a cast of characters with interwoven stories. She might even find romance with Connie’s cousin Lance the Llama Farmer.

I have already created Connie and the other Sims that live in Henford on Bagley - I’ve set up their relationships and skill - they are basically just waiting to move in.

Wow impressive
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I'm already very excited for the pack, because it inspired me to flesh my Reed clan's backstory out a bit more.

Three households of my main family, the Reeds, will temporarily move to Henford on Bagley. The family's founder was a rich mine owner from the Detroit area, who had originally come from Scottland. So far the Reeds had little to no connection to their roots, but all of a sudden the european branch remembers their american relatives and stages a competition between the three youngest descendents. The one who proves to understand the village traditions best will inherit the deed to Henford. The three children may bring their family and designate one adult as helper. Little do they know that the village is haunted...

As for preparations, one of the three households I played much less than the others, so I'll give that one a full week and the other two three days each to skill up. I don't know enough of the lots yet, hopefully there will be three that give about equal starting conditions. All of the residentials my prospective heirs move into will get changed to haunted.

Here they are, already dressed the part:

11.06.21_01-48-57ikk74.png

Evelyn Kamski, Peggy Reed and Jin Reed-Chen.
    Lyn and Jin are cousins and Peggy is Jin's step-sister.
  • Options
    AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    As I said before I'm almost sure I'll move my little vampire and her guardian Patchy to the secluded lot near waterfall, depends on how the lot actually is.

The other thing I always wanted to do is to have 64x64 lot away from civilization with a relatively small house to have a huge orchard farm on it. Unfortunately it looks like the 64x64 lot will be occupied either as residential or community lot, so I guess that will have to wait.

The third thing I want to do is to create a completely self-sufficient household that will produce their own electricity, water and food maybe add the knitting into it too, for self-produced clothes, but I'm stuck at what sort of household it should be, what sort of characters etc. Also everything largely depends on how the lots are in the new world, where are they placed, what vibe they give off.

I also like the idea about vet business and elderly sleuth mentioned in this thread, I never played as vet before might be a good idea now.

• Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Until I see a picture of the world (with lot sizes), I can't plan anything. I always take a screenshot of the world and plan which areas will be residential and which will be commercial. Then, I make the families for each house. After all of that is planned, I then build thr houses based on the family that will live there.

I have been looking at inspiration pictures of cottages though, and also thinking of the households I want to add to my save file. I'm just so excited I couldn't contain myself. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself though.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »

The other thing I always wanted to do is to have 64x64 lot away from civilization with a relatively small house to have a huge orchard farm on it. Unfortunately it looks like the 64x64 lot will be occupied either as residential or community lot, so I guess that will have to wait.

Don't know if it helps, but DevonBumpkin confirmed he built the 64x64 lot, which is a 'HUGE farmhouse'. Doesn't say if it's occupied or not. But residential are much easier to demolish and put the family elsewhere I find compared to moving around community lots, at least that's what I find.
  • Options
    AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    edited June 2021
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »

Don't know if it helps, but DevonBumpkin confirmed he built the 64x64 lot, which is a 'HUGE farmhouse'. Doesn't say if it's occupied or not. But residential are much easier to demolish and put the family elsewhere I find compared to moving around community lots, at least that's what I find.

Thank you, yes I know about him building it, didn't know if it was residential :) . I tend to rebuild lots mainly because I have my own checkboxes that the building needs to meet and even if on a very rare occasion I use someone else's build, I will heavily modify it, so demolishing a lot isn't an issue, but I find it difficult to move premades from their lots, I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. Also depends where that lot is and what are the surroundings. For example Brindleton Bay has an unoccupied 64x64 lot, but the surrounding and especially the entrance point says "Hamptons" to me more than "orchard farm". I'm kinda curious what Devon built tho, he is one of the yt builders that I like to watch sometimes.
    Post edited by AmeliaTodd on
  • Options
    kayt45kayt45 Posts: 434 Member
    I have the perfect sim for this. He’s a legacy starter in another save but he loves knitting, gardening and fizzing. He also loves metal and doesn’t really fit into this rural world. I think a cottage living llama farm would be great for him.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I play 8 households in 8 worlds, and that’s a pretty strict rotation, so I have to decide which world to abandon so they can live in HOB. It will either be Mt. Komorebi or Sulani, since they are still obvious vacation destinations so I’ll still use the world somewhat. Leaning towards Mt K.... but in Sulani, the grim reaper has glitched out coming in over the water and I had to restart and have that sim die on shore instead so Grim had a different entry point. That could get very annoying as I proceed with my current game plan, which is...

Crown Roulette. I have 8 royal families and I play each family for 4 days. I roll a die each day for one of the adults.
    If I roll...
    1. They must die (n/a only if pregnant)
    2. Produce an heir (n/a if elder)
    3. Have an affair (if a sim rolls this twice in a row they must have an illegitimate child with that affair)
    4. Have a social event
    5. Produce an heir (n/a if elder. I have this twice to make sure heirs happen!)
    6. Cause drama with another family member (roll to see who)

It’s really interesting to see how the hypothetical crown gets passed since you never know who is going to die next. I’m just trying to see how far I can take each line before they die out. And I’m playing on short lifespan for the first time.

Nobody works because they all have their fake royal duties and titles. So I have all day to make things happen according to what I roll. I should have enough time to explore and appreciate the new world without completely overdoing it.

I wonder if the butler will help out with the animals?
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I never make plans, I just dive straight in!

I recently purchased GTW and really enjoy owning a shop. I know that Maxis put out a bookshop and a bakery on the gallery so I may take a look. Other than that it depends on the premades.
  • Options
    bombtoribombtori Posts: 30 Member
    The second generation of my Disney play (basically made 8 Disney couples and play them rotationally) are teenagers right now. I was going to move a couple of the second gen over there after they go to college and settle down. My "beast" character became an avid gardener (based on a retelling book I recently read), so one of his daughters is going to carry on that love but expand it with the new gardening and farming in the new world. Snow White and Charming's daughter loves dogs, so I was going to have her become the village vet as well. Luckily, I still have a bit of time because they're only teenagers, but I think that will take me up to the release day!
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited June 2021
    Until I see a picture of the world (with lot sizes), I can't plan anything. I always take a screenshot of the world and plan which areas will be residential and which will be commercial. Then, I make the families for each house. After all of that is planned, I then build thr houses based on the family that will live there.

I have been looking at inspiration pictures of cottages though, and also thinking of the households I want to add to my save file. I'm just so excited I couldn't contain myself. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself though.

I'm shifting around on my chair to see the new world with lots and houses already, too!

Also the premades. For the most part I don't care for premades, but there always have been one or two families that I fell in love with and worked into my web of sims long before I had the pack. (I even had a Julia Wright from the gallery before owning DU.)
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    My Lucas Munch would love it there, so after his oldest grows up and moves to Mt K he and his wife and younger daughter will move to Henford-on-Bagley. His wife already has an extensive flower garden and beehive, so we'll add vegetables and animals once they move. Probably also the bug farms from EL since Lucas has almost the whole OR bug collection already.

I've also been planning to make my first retail shop a grocer with baked goods and fizzy juice available, and some of the new things in this pack could definitely expand that. I look forward to learning more about preserves, the new harvestables, and if there will be any new pie recipes.
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this! I used to just screenshot the worlds and overlay my ideas on them. Now I've actually made a spreadsheet for my save now as it's a bit easier to organise. Need to know all the lot sizes and get a feeling for each neighbourhood before I can decide each lot. Probably overkill, but now I can see the exact number of lots to build/sims to make for each world and get percentage done stats on all of them.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member

I'm shifting around on my chair to see the new world with lots and houses already, too!

Also the premades. For the most part I don't care for premades, but there always have been one or two families that I fell in love with and worked into my web of sims long before I had the pack. (I even had a Julia Wright from the gallery before owning DU.)

I don't really play a lot with premades in my general gameplay. They're usually just background sims. In my save file, I deleted them all. With that being said, I have recently started a save with 24 YA sims to dabble with rotational play. Of the 24 sims, only 9 are sims I've made. The rest are premades and Maxis gallery sims. I'm really enjoying it. My goal is have generations of sims that can trace their lineage back to the original 24. It may be a while before I get to HoB with that save though. I'm trying to make each generation "discover" the worlds as I go. As of right now, the 24 have only "discovered" the base game worlds.

Anyway, I am excited to read the backstories on all the new households though. I'm curious about the lore they've teased.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    MDianaSims wrote: »
    Now, I don't normally really prep for new packs, but this one, especially the setting of a small village in the countryside, really inspires me.
    I've got it down to two concepts, that I just posted to my blog, but I'll just post them here, see if anyone has any preference. Not that I'll share much of it, but it's for my own enjoyment, it's always more fun to play with somewhat of a story idea behind it.

Why not both? I see a potential love match!
  • Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I'm thinking I need to have a sim grow up as a responsible baking/cooking queen who will go on to buy a small cottage B&B in Henford on Bagley. Fresh meals from the garden and farm every morning and evening!

Also might start finding CC for a new UK based decades challenge, also might start farther back in the Regency era.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    We were having a wonderful bookstore discussion in the cottage living positive thoughts thread so I thought we could continue that discussion here along with whatever other preparation and plans you have for Cottage Living. Will you be starting with a new family, playing with one of the families that might come with the world, or moving an existing family to Henford-on-Bagley. What shops or community lots are you planning? Are you leveling up some of your sims' cooking, baking, gardening skills? I'm sure we'll have lots more to discuss as more information is released.

Playing with the families I already own.
  • Options
    shailaputriishailaputrii Posts: 64 Member
    yes. i need to prepare my slaves that will do all the dirty work for me. milking cows? yuck.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Wow, some people really put a lot into their preparations! *feels inadequate*

I have been quite inspired for a re-start, I'm now making a spreadsheet *feels proud of self*

I have chosen 12 households from previous games and am going to tweak them all, planning traits, aspirations and careers in advance. I will start over with one of the households being for the new town.

And, depending on what the world is like when I see it, I might play a couple of pre-mades or make 2 more new households so I can have an even 14 (14 works nicely for rotating on a 28 day season).
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited June 2021
    I will move my Eco Lifestyle couple Elwood and Penelope Moss and their twin daughters to the new world. Elwood hates his job because he's a freegan and he doesn't want to earn money. He's grumpy almost 24/7. Although I've gotten fond of him and his grumpiness I think he will end his job and start farming and gardening. He will probably continue being grumpy every now and then because he will earn money anyway. It's okay.
    Penelope is making candles and juicing. She can continue that and she has also a garden and they have a bug farm. They will have farm animals too, of course.
    Their daughters, Heather and Juniper, who are toddlers right now are going to grow up to children soon. Juniper has a hurt sentiment towards her mom and she's angry and throwing tantrums all the time. They will love growing up with animals, I think. I can't wait to move this family out of Evergreen Harbor and have a nice farm. :)