Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop or Desktop?

Comments

• Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    edited March 2021
    Laptop
    I currently play on a Laptop, an ASUS ROG. I haven't had a desktop for about 8 years.
    My game runs well on Ultra settings, so it's fine for the time being. Wouldn't rule out going back to a Desktop though.
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Desktop
    Pretty much all my gaming happens on an old Dell T3500 Xeon workstation, X5687 CPU (comparable to 4th gen i5) and GTX 950 GPU. It was cheap, all the upgrades I've put into it were cheap since it uses old server hardware, and it's big and heavy and built like a freakin tank. Been playing Sims 4 on it since the holidays and I believe all the settings are at high (didn't take too close of a look at them). Have had no issues with it playing TS4, but only have one expansion pack and no mods/cc.
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Desktop
    Friends don't let friends play video games on a laptop.
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    ^While still a bit inferior to desktops due to the sheer number of upgrades they can have, laptops can be powerful enough in their own right to run some pretty hefty games.

In anycase, I use a laptop because right now my current life situation doesn't allow for the ownership of a desktop.

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Laptop
    Asus Rog Strix, no issues, prefer laptop. Because I have physical limitations and need the ability to play in bed.
  • Options
    HeyHeyyHeyHeyy Posts: 465 Member
    I started with desktop and used that for about 4 years, then got a laptop and stuck to laptops. Playing on desktop is really nice but I like being able to carry my laptop to different parts of the house.
    GALLERY: jdm14_xx
    LIKE my page on FACEBOOK. @jm.violetsims14

<3
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    Desktop
    It's a gaming computer I had built for me a few months ago, it runs great never have any problems running on the highest setting.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    Lilacsky22Lilacsky22 Posts: 43 Member
    Both
    I use both, however I prefer desktop. My laptop runs the game better though, I just hate the tiny screen compared to desktop monitor. I will have to upgrade my pc soon though, it's getting old and the game has issues when many things are taking place on a lot.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Desktop
    I played on a laptop in the past. It just wasn't as comfortable and had to buy a normal mouse and keyboard anyway. I know laptops are better today, especially when it comes to cooling (thanks SSD for that, I guess?) but I'm not playing outside of my home anyway so I am not considering a laptop again.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited April 2021
    Both
    I have both and accept for a slight difference in processor speed, they are identical. I prefer my desktop because I have a gaming setup and a 31" curved monitor but if I plugged my monitor into my laptop along with my gaming mouse and keyboard, it would be virtually the same.

My Laptop is an MSI gaming laptop. My desktop is a custom-made type. Both are 3 years old but even with 16gb of CC and Mods (33 gbs until I trimmed it down), my machines run at 90 to 144 FPS on ultra so I am happy :)
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    Desktop
    I've only ever played the games on a desktop -- starting with SimCity 2000 and continuing to TS4 with all expansions, 2/3rds of the game packs, and half of the stuff packs. My current system is an AMD fx 8000x series with 16 gigs of ram, and an ASUS ROG STRIX Vega 56. I'd like to upgrade eventually to a Ryzen series ,but that will involve a new motherboard and new ram, so it's not cost-effective right now: I can play everything I want to/have time to play as it is. This same computer has TS3 installed, though I never play it, and it has TS2 installed. I've never gotten TS2 to run properly on this system, though, so when I need to scratch that particular itch I boot up my old Vista, which has all expansions and stuff packs plus gigs and gigs of of custom content. It's corrupt as heck and needs a re-install but I can't find all the old discs. I also have TS1 + all expansions on that pc. SimCity 3000 & and SimCity 4 are also installed on both. ;)
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Laptop
    The convenience and portability of the laptop is the reason I have it. If it doesn't matter either way to you, I saw go with the desktop. You can get a lot more for the same money and it'll probably perform better.
  • Options
    kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    Desktop
    Desktop that I built myself in 2014 when TS4 released. I own all the packs (except JTB) and play the game on ultra settings, never had any performance issues.
  • Options
    GoddessBylineGoddessByline Posts: 281 Member
    edited April 2021
    Laptop
    I play both Sims 3 and Sims 4 on a ASUS TUF Gaming laptop with a NVIDIA GTX 1050 card. Very pleased with it. No issues running either games daily for two years on this machine.
    I don't use CC so if you see something in a screenshot of mine, it's from the game.
    EA Account (Gallery) ID: BylineBelife
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Desktop
    Desktop. Laptop sacrifices so much for portability that its not worth it.

No technical issues with Sims games that cannot be fixed.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Desktop
    Both my desktop and laptop are Dell Alienware.

Up until about 18 months ago I played almost exclusively on my desktop.

Once my twin granddaughters were born and I started watching them at their home I purchased and started playing only on my laptop. I'd take it with me and play while they were sleeping. In the beginning I'd transfer my save back and forth with a flash drive but got tired of that and started playing only on my laptop. I have a cooling pad and haven't experienced any issues running the game at the highest specs. I won't ever go back to a desktop. It's just too confining.

Give it another 18months and be ready to be replacing that laptop. I say this from 15+ years personal experience.

I used to swear by a laptop. Once I went back to desktop, I forgot how fluid and smooth it is. I’d never go back to a laptop, costs a fortune, you can’t upstage it and you’ll never ever get the full benefit of any game, even if you *think* you are. Trust me you’re not. I know.

—T
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited June 2021
    Laptop
    To7m wrote: »
    Give it another 18months and be ready to be replacing that laptop. I say this from 15+ years personal experience.

My first laptop (Macbook Pro) lasted 5 years before it was obvious the heat was getting to it. (The battery swelled).
    The one I just replaced is about 3 years old and is fine (also Macbook Pro), I just gave it to my daughter to use. I guess if you don't have much of a budget for electronics, 5 years seems pathetic. But to us that was a long time given how fast computer technology tends to progress.
    To7m wrote: »
    I used to swear by a laptop. Once I went back to desktop, I forgot how fluid and smooth it is. I’d never go back to a laptop, costs a fortune, you can’t upstage it and you’ll never ever get the full benefit of any game, even if you *think* you are. Trust me you’re not. I know.

There's no arguing that Desktops, currently, are better in a lot of ways for gaming. But (some) laptops are catching up, and in some respects might be just as good. I just purchased a Macbook Air M1 recently and I spent the first day just marveling at how well the game runs. I can play on ultra now and it's so smooth with no lag.

As far as costing a fortune, that's always relative. To me, it was reasonable. I actually paid less than I did for my previous Macbook Pro. If you can't afford a nice laptop, then yeah, I'd say spend less and get a good desktop rather than a cheap laptop. But if you can afford a nice laptop and that's what you want, there are great options available now.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    Laptop
    I play on an HP laptop. I got it in late 2018 when I was still in college so I needed the portability. The game runs fairly well. I can’t play on ultra graphics or anything but it rarely crashes and it doesn’t lag super often. I would consider getting a desktop but I don’t have the space for one right now, and I also don’t play any other PC games besides TS4, so I feel like it would be pointless.
  • Options
    DarkLady2788DarkLady2788 Posts: 345 Member
    Desktop
    Desktop all the way I will never play the sims on a laptop again positive it kills your laptop but then again I did play the sims 3 on my laptop so that probably fried it 😂
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    Desktop
    I have a desktop PC that I have had for around 7 years. It was pretty high spec when I bought it, and I have had no issues. It still runs very fast in general and runs the game smoothly. It's done better than any of my laptops ever did.
  • Options
    jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    Laptop
    Lenovo. It runs well on medium to high graphics.
  • Options
    shailaputriishailaputrii Posts: 64 Member
    Laptop
    acer nitro 5 but desktops are definitely more powerful and resistant. you have to take care of laptops as if you were taking care of a small child
  • Options
    shailaputriishailaputrii Posts: 64 Member
    Laptop
    everyone saying laptops are running smooth, i challenge you to have a look at your thermal paste.
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 2021
    Desktop
    I'm a gamer who plays a wide variety of games, most of which have WAY harsher system requirements than the Sims. Desktop is a must for me. This one is rather old too (in fact I don't remember when I got it) but I have occasionally been upgrading its' components and it still runs very well. I also prefer the ergonomy of desktop setup, e.g. the bigger screen which you can position how you want. For my needs there's no point at all in getting a "gaming laptop", they are inferior in every way. Though, sure, might be fun to have a laptop which could at least play lightweight games like Darkest Dungeon or TS4. These are also the kind of games which don't need fast reflexes or be really dependent on good visuals and such so they are more easily played in whatever environment.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2021
    I use a gaming laptop with a NVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super video card which does 144 FBS but I only play a few games on it with Sims 4 being the one that needs the most space and power. I use it for emails, reading books and my OS TV to go so I like to be able to move it about between rooms which I could not do easily with a desktop. I've had several desktops in the past and enjoyed opening them up and upgrading them though.