Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim State - The Sims 3 Open For Business Mini Expansion - Launch Trailer Available Now!

Comments

• Options
    Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,996 Member
    edited April 2021
    @sparky1922 - Sounds like a fun challenge. And we will be able to do this in Sims 3 and much easier with timecatcher's mod.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Me1620

I know but while I hated time standing still in 2 when I first started playing the series in 3 everytime we change our active families the other played families go off and do things i don't like in the interim before I get back to them again lol
  • Options
    KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    edited April 2021
    Hi Sparky!

Have you heard of rotational play with nraas Story Progression? It keeps certain sims that you play to behave themselves while you are playing another sim/family.

This info is a bit old - but still relevant, I think. https://www.nraas.net/community/Story-Progression-Rotational-Caste-Settings

I have used some of Sarah Sims settings for my game but I have not tried the rotational play with the "caste" system shown above. I plan to try it because I don't want my favorite sims changing their lives while I'm not playing them. That is...when I stop building and finally start playing!

Looking forward to this mod!
  • Options
    Hi @KatyFernlily

Thanks for reminding me of what i can do with story progression re this matter as i had honestly forgotten as it's so long since i tried it.. I also don't want my sims going off doing whatever they want/like in between gameplay either. I hated this feature in S2 at first after playing 3 for years but after playing 2 for a while now I can see the benefit :)
  • Options
    timecatchertimecatcher Posts: 387 Member
    Well after a few months of work I have now uploaded the mod to MTS and hopefully in the next few days it will be approved! Slightly adjusted vision compared to where it started but I hope that it will provide a good addition for The Sims 3 community! Thanks so much for all the support, here is the release trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD8d4BLsY2A
  • Options
    Hi @timecatcher

Fabulous mod I love being able to call the cops for thieves :) and mystery shoppers too brilliant. I am just waiting on a creator to finish a world I want to play in and i have decided to download your mod then and play in the new world but I will be back to comment further when I have started playing with the mod. Thanks so much for taking the time and putting all the hard work into a very game worthy mod :)<3
  • Options
    Hah thanks hope there's no game break bugs but I'll be checking the comments :D, hope you have fun in your new world, thanks for your support!
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I hope they approve it soon, I been patiently waiting.XD
  • Options
    sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    This looks amazing!! Can't wait to try it out.
  • Options
    KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
  • Options
    rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    Awesome! I'll get it as soon as I can!
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • Options
    VaChuVaChu Posts: 37 Member
    you're awesome! I'm going to start up my game now
  • Options
    Yup as mentioned the mod is now available over at MTS, thanks for the comments! Hope it works okay for everyone ;)
  • Options
    Well its been an amazing journey but just to RL commitments its time to say goodbye! Here's the final Sim State video including an overview of v1.3 changes and a behind the scenes look at the code base for any potential future modders or those curious! Thanks for the comments and support throughout, SSD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Xgu5-PZ0Q
  • Options
    @timecatcher

Its sad that you wrote goodbye and thank you as that kind of indicates there is no coming back for you when you really are so talented at S3 mods :)

If it really is goodbye I want to thank you for making a truly awesome mod for Sims 3 before you went away leaving so many players to enjoy your obvious modding talents :)
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Wow, goodbye after creating this mod? :(
    Thanks for creating a fun mod! I haven't gotten into its features yet,
    but looks super fun!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Does anyone know how to use this mod in conjunction with bakery items?
  • Options
    Thanks @SPARKY1922 thats so kind, who knows if I’ll be back but for now it’s life unfortunately >< Thanks for all the kind comments :). @GraceyManor I hope you enjoy it! Thanks! @Karritz You should be able to set the plates that bakery items are on for sale and sell them like that! Be sure to check the prices are good though! Thanks too :)
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @timecatcher. My bakery items before this new mod always were refreshed each night. Now this doesnt seem to happen. They were all good on day 1. Next day they were attracting flies. Then they were smoking and putrid. I couldn't remove them, delete them or do anything other than buy them for 0 simoleans. I tried to use debug enabler and couldn't see any useful optio ns so I chose to fix invisible sims. Then i chose NRAAS again because I was desperate. Thius time Cupcake apoeared jn the menu as well add Debug Enabler. I chose Cupcake and there were lots of options. I played around and eventually got it all set up. I'm not sure if it is fixed or not. I hadvvto set up each slot in each display case and a few times accidentally reset my progress back to 0 by cjoosing to reset display instead of set display.. i forget the actual menu options. That was frustrating. In the end I decided to save several times while setting up each bakery display.

It was easier before but hopefully this n ew way of doing it will allow more fine tuning and won't need to be repeated once it is all aet up

Edit. I had to choose Debug Enabler on each case before I got the Cupcake option
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    After a lot of time (hours) working out how to use the baked goods with this new mod I finally got it working, I hope.

I decided to use the biggest and most complicated build I have made to test the mod. I usually try to push my computer to beyond its limits and tend to do that with just about anything to do with computing.

The lot I chose to use is, in its original form, available in my studio on the Exchange if anyone would like a challenge.

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8400389

This build has the ground floor of the main building devoted to a large, decorated dining room and two kitchens a wrap around veranda and toilets. The two upstairs levels of the main building make up the residential area. I'd like to keep customers and staff out of this area. Still haven't worked out how to do that successfully. I've got the barrier to entry system in play as well as locking regular doors to everyone but My Household.

Next to the main house is another large building which has multiple purposes. On the ground floor it has a garage for the car, a stable for horses. Upstairs are two levels full of various skilling objects.

Behind the main house is a waterwheel (from the Old Mill set) and a large greenhouse/garden. The garden was used to make preserves in one of the kitchens on the ground floor. Preserves are sold in the shop by using the mod to set them for sale. Previously they seemed to be mostly used for decorative purposes only. Sims from town did purchase a large number of the preserves during the brief time I had to business working. I managed to make the one employee become the store manager and she went about the task of restocking things that had sold.

Behind the barn is a paddock for the horses to run around. The gates are locked to pets because there is a scarecrow in the garden and I need to keep the horses away from the scarecrow as they get the Panicked moodlet from seeing a scarecrow.

There is a cow shed at the back corner of the lot. The cow will provide milk. I said this lot is complicated. I don't seem to have added the chicken coop for some reason. Maybe they can afford to buy their eggs for cooking.

Since this build is so complicated the bills are huge so I made sure Alfina has the no bills ever lifetime reward or she'd have soon lost everything to the repo man.

Firstly, I discovered it is essential to do the lessons provided. I didn't know they were there at first and wasted a huge amount of time trying to work out how to get a business started.

It took me a while to realise I could get the business started using a computer. Fortunately there is a computer upstairs in the residence.

Alfinas-Computer.jpg

Then I went on a hunt for the Sim State Cash Register. I finally found it once I had discovered there were lessons and read them.
    Cash-Registers.jpg

The Sim State cash register is on the right and the other cash register is the savvy seller register. I got rid of the bakery cash register that comes with the build when it's downloaded from the Exchange.

I added funds to the business after opening it. I did this on the computer. Then I used the Sim State cash register to hire an employee and I also hired a sales attendant for the Savvy Seller register. This is fortunate as the sim manning the savvy seller register stays there and it looks as if someone is alert and working behind the counter. The employee I hired never seemed to appear. I did finally track her down upstairs in the residence chatting to Alfina, the owner of the shop. I made the employee the store manager and she did come down and do some restocking at one point.

Now, I am not generally interested in running a business in the sims game for the purposes of making a profit. I just get a but of fun out of seeing the customers turn up and buying stuff. If you want to seriously use this as a business you probably don't want Savvy Seller and other complications added to it. However, I worked as a contract computer programmer for over 20 years and I know from experience users will find ways to do something unexpected and for which the program was not designed to cope. It breaks and time is required to find ways to make the program still work regardless. On my final contract I got a request that stumped me. I knew I could theoretically work around the issue but it still would have most likely have crashed. The request was to make it possible add \ inside file names. They were using Windows software and I was only using VBA. So that's my excuse for using this build and leaving it still set up for Savvy Seller and Cupcake mod while testing for myself.

My initial issue with the bakery displays was after day 1 everything was putrid. I'm used to my Cupcake mod taking care of all of that. And the bakery set is supposed to delete all of the baked goods each night and Cupcake mod replaces them.

For a couple of Sim days I had fly infested and smoking baked goods that I couldn't get rid of. Even going into buy mode the game wouldn't let me delete them. The only thing I could do was get my sim to buy them all. I got her to do that with a few of them but thought there has to be a better way. I have other NRAAS mods and that NRAAS menu choice was there when I clicked onto the displays. But the only mod it gave me access to was Debug Enabler. There was nothing useful in that mod. After several futile attempts I finally chose to 'Fix Invisible Sims' with Debug Enabler. Then, lo and behold, not only did it fix invisible sims but it now presented me with a second menu choice and that was Cupcake. I found I could Clear the Display. So I did that and got rid of all the rotten putrid food. I thought Cupcake must have been there all the time and I just didn't notice so I clicked on a second display. Again I only got offered Debug Enabler so I knew what to do this time, I told it to Fix Invisible Sims. Then Once again Cupcake became available. I managed to clear all of the putrid food in each of the 6 bakery displays I had in the shop.

Next problem I had empty bakery displays. Alfina, my shop owner, was not a genie. I found Cupcake didn't restock during the night. So next morning I was faced with a problem. No bakery stock and no genie to quickly summon all the food required.

I investigated the menu options under Cupcake. I found I could add food to the individual slots or to all slots at once. I chose to do them individually. There are two similar menu choices available - 1. 'Set Display Settings' 2. 'Reset Display Settings'

I chose Set Display Settings and worked at adding the types of foods for about 10 of the slots and this took me a significant amount of time. Then I accidentally clicked on 'Reset Display Settings'. Now I had all slots vacant again. I started again. I made some progress before hitting 'Reset Display Settings' again. I was not happy. I was ready to give up on this whole idea and just go to bed as it was getting very late an night by then and I'd started looking at this in the early afternoon thinking it wouldn't take long as I had other things I had to do before going to sleep. Well I decided to persevere and I tend to be determined to do what I set out to do. I started saving after I'd set up about 8 or so slots and that was fortunate as I still hit reset a few more times but eventually seemed to get the hang of it. By about 2 am my real life time I had all 6 bakery displays set up. The bit I liked about his option as I could have different types of food appearing in different displays. And it could be random as it was possible to add a few different choices to each slot and the mod would randomly stock with something from that list each time it restocked. There is a menu option under cupcake to restock. It does nothing until the slots have items assigned to them.

There is a lot of decor items around the shop. They were just decor until I used the Sim State cash register to set them for sale. After the first few days I had a look to see if anything had sold. I was surprised that a few decor items had sold and lots of the preserves had sold and needed restocking. I'm not sure what's happening with the baked goods. Maybe I ought to put the bakery register back as it will tell me what's happening there.

The Savvy Seller register is probably tracking things sold from the mats and shelves that are all around the place in that huge room. But I'm not really interested in using the business as a way of my sim making money. She'll probably join the gardening career and start gardening soon and selling her harvestables at the greenhouse where I've added four humble harvest stands. That's what I usually do for my sims to make money.

Here are some pics of my baker displays, and a couple of customers. When I managed to advertise I got lots of customers.

Bakery-Displays001.jpg

Bakery-Displays002.jpg

Bakery-Displays003.jpg

Customer001.jpg

Customer002.jpg

Decor-And-Preserves-For-Sale.jpg

Decor-And-Preserves-For-Sale002.jpg

Decor-Items-For-Sale.jpg

Preserves-On-End-Tables.jpg

Sims seem to enjoy having tea with the tea set. I don't think the business makes any money out of this but they look good and it's fun to see them in use.
    Teaset001.jpg

Verandah.jpg

So that's what I've done with this mod so far. I'll probably keep using it. I have couple of bakeries with a residence above and I'll see how it works with them. They are much smaller and less complicated than this one.

I did notice that, as expected, no waiter was generated for the food synthesiser but the customers helped themselves to it's contents. I don't imagine any money was generated by the business from having it on the lot. I think I ought to test this again with the lot as a community lot. I have it on a residential lot as that's the only way I can get sims to live on site.

Since I'm using a fairy she doesn't use the residence except as a place to keep her employees away from doing their job. She sleeps in the fairy house out in the garden and eats food from the shop.

Happy Simming.

EDIT: I won't be upgrading this build to suit this mod and loading it to the Exchange. As it is on the Exchange it uses Savvy Seller. There is an item you can get that'll lure customers to the shop. I tried it once and get the settings wrong and had the entire town trying to get inside all at once. It took an entire sim night to get them all out of there and lots of taxis were used in the process. So I don't usually play with this build. Now we have this new mod I might dust it off and see what I can do with it at some point.
  • Options
    @Karritz

you sure chose what looks like one of the more complicated businesses to run :) I also use NRASS mods including the cupcake one for the bakery and while I don't think this new mod and NRASS conflict reading what you have written it does appear the settings of both mods need tweaking to make it work properly?

When I watched on of the videos before I think I noticed that you had to choose what was for sale on the lot so I am wondering if that means you have to click on each bakery item? But obviously you cannot do that with the tea table as sims will buy the table rather than paying to drink the tea so it appears there is no way to get your money from that unless there is a way to apply a service charge or add the ticket machine so sims have to pay when entering the lot but that might confuse things even more.. I noticed you mentioned selling the canned goods is easy but then I read that the baked goods don't appear to be flying off the shelves when you got everything sorted?

That's weird with the flies and fix invisible sims thing going on too..

I look forward to reading about more testing as it's really interesting :)
  • Options
    I only quickly read but the mod effects the bakery and business as usual sets?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @Sparky and @GraceyManor I haven't really played or checked how the bakery business works. I saw sims buying bakery items. I am currently opening the game and plan to add the bakery register back. It will let me know how much my sim earns from bakery items.

The game is different regarding bakery items. I never had problems with things going bad before. The game by default deletes all the bakery items each sim night. I just had the Cupcake mod in to replenish the deleted items and it all worked seamlessly and without me having to do anything about it. I was under the impression that nothing would change when this new mod was added. But when I played I found significant changes. I was a bit upset at first as I thought it meant I couldn't use the new mod if I wanted to use my bakeries. I need to do more playing, but it looks to me that the new mod stops the game from deleting the old stock so it goes putrid over a couple of days. I tried dragging putrid items off the shelves but couldn't. I tried going into buy mode and deleting the putrid items but got the message that item couldn't be deleted.

I did eventually find the solution is to click on the bakery display and choose Cupcake from the menu. But Cupcake isn't offered. Only Debug Enabler is available under the NRAAS menu choice. Eventually, in frustration I just chose an action under Debug Enabler and it happened to be Fix Invisible Sims. Then I clicked again expecting to see nothing useful but I noticed Cupcake was now available as well as Debug Enabler. I thought I must have just not noticed it before so moved on to a different bakery display. On any click, prior to choosing Fix Invisible Sims from Debug Enabler, Cupcake was not there. I have 6 bakery display cases in the shop so I had to do this 6 (I think it's 6) times.

I found there is a bunch of menu items available under Cupcake and I was able to clear the putrid food. It took me ages to add lists to each slot for each bakery display. But once that's done it is possible to choose Cupcake and clear the display and then to populate all the slots with fresh items. If more than one item has been specified for any one slot then a random choice is made by Cupcake when adding a fresh item to the slot. I like this idea because now I can set up my bakery displays to have different types of products available in each. I don't like it because it takes a long time to set it all up which is why I haven't tested how it works regarding the business finances yet.

I thought I could just add the mod and take half and hour or so to get it going. I was wrong. I started mid afternoon and finally turned the computer off at around 2 am. I'll have a little play now and try to pay attention the the financial side of it. The thing I really liked though was all the customers who turn up and they buy stuff. I think it'll take me a while to get the hang of it properly and fine tune how I want to play with it. I think each of us will probably end up doing something slightly different depending on how we want to play.

EDIT: I think the bonus is that I am now able to sell all of the decor items I've got scattered around the shop.

I also meant to mention, you can click on each individual bakery item and set it for sale. But it isn't easy to set individual items for sale in the bakery display case with the 'glass' front, or I couldn't find an easy way to do it. However, it isn't necessary to set them for sale. The customers come in and buy the items just how they always did. The think I am not sure of is if the items vanish from sale once purchased. I don't think they do and now I'm not sure if they disappeared previously without the Sim State mod in. I have a feeling that they did.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I just added the bakery register to the lot.

The Savvy Seller register shows no sales.
    The Bakery Register shows 3 sales.
    The Sim State register tells me I've sold 465 simoleans worth of items.

EDIT: I started recording a video with particular focus on the bakery and preserves plus setting things for sale and restocking. I'm still not sure on exactly how things work and how things ought to work and how much I've messed things up for the mod by not clearing out the savvy seller shelves and mats. The mats are easy to get rid of but the shelves will be a bit annoying if I need to replace them with non savvy seller shelves. I'm doing something else now so will get back to this at some point.
    Post edited by Karritz on
  • Options
    Thanks for the extra info @Karritz

Please let me know when your video is up I would like to watch it once it's done :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top