Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 sounding worse everyday 😑 UPDATE 7/24/21

Comments

• NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I played a LOT of Sims4 in a relatively short period of time (only got it in 2019) and got all the packs (even Supernatural which I have almost not played) except I draw the line at those "packets" or whatever they are...basically vending-machine junkfood of gaming bits I don't give a flip about anyway, and being creative, did a lot of storytelling and exploring but finally, the marionette aspect of the Sims, in which they don't actually have any impetus of their own, drove me to repurchase Sims 3 because my laptop has no way to read the old game disk I still had, and I haven't touched Sims4 again since, even though I have fond memories (in my head) of the personalities (again, that I pretty much made up in my head) of the Windenburg families in particular.

Sims 3 is what I'm spending money on now, and haven't regretted a dime of it. In fact it has revealed to me just how poor Sims4 is by comparison. So many things I didn't know were already there in Sims3, came late and defective, into Sims4 just recently, and people were so excited, not realizing that a lot of things were taken straight out of Sims3 and recycled. The laundry line appears identical. The bunk beds from Sims3 so long ago, worked properly from the start even with loft beds with desks under them. Toddlers and babies can be taken out in strollers, or ride spring toys, etc. Even the graphics, which I at first thought were not so great in Sims3, actually are just as great in Sims3 once I got everything set maxed and custom. In fact, Sims4 now suffers by comparison.

So I hope people who have become disillusioned with Sims4 and are even more reluctant about Sims5 (as am I) will check out the comparison videos out there on Youtube made recently by many avid Sims Youtubers, showing all the ways that Sims3 actually beats Sims4, and get Sims3 from Origin. With my laptop (and it's nothing that snazzy, it's a Dell from like 2014) I can run Sims3 with like 8 packs installed and tons of CC without problems. Also all of Sims4, but I barely touch it now. Take advantage of modern PCs being more than a match for Sims3 now and get a robust game for a reasonable price that still has Sims who do things on their own (but there's a slider for that, so you can still micromanage or play god), that still has surprises, a sense of humor, even mods for skin textures and facial features that make them blow away the Sims of Sims4 (though I haven't bothered with those, I've seen the breathtaking Sims of some people here who have).

I pooh-poohed the colorwheel, the ability to customize colors, textures, materials, and patterns on everything, and so on, til I tried them and now realize the value of it. Sims3 also doesn't constantly go through mod-breaking updates. So that's my answer to the prospect of Sims5: Sims3 has all the game I need.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    edited May 2021
    I played a LOT of Sims4 in a relatively short period of time (only got it in 2019) and got all the packs (even Supernatural which I have almost not played) except I draw the line at those "packets" or whatever they are...basically vending-machine junkfood of gaming bits I don't give a flip about anyway, and being creative, did a lot of storytelling and exploring but finally, the marionette aspect of the Sims, in which they don't actually have any impetus of their own, drove me to repurchase Sims 3 because my laptop has no way to read the old game disk I still had, and I haven't touched Sims4 again since, even though I have fond memories (in my head) of the personalities (again, that I pretty much made up in my head) of the Windenburg families in particular.

Sims 3 is what I'm spending money on now, and haven't regretted a dime of it. In fact it has revealed to me just how poor Sims4 is by comparison. So many things I didn't know were already there in Sims3, came late and defective, into Sims4 just recently, and people were so excited, not realizing that a lot of things were taken straight out of Sims3 and recycled. The laundry line appears identical. The bunk beds from Sims3 so long ago, worked properly from the start even with loft beds with desks under them. Toddlers and babies can be taken out in strollers, or ride spring toys, etc. Even the graphics, which I at first thought were not so great in Sims3, actually are just as great in Sims3 once I got everything set maxed and custom. In fact, Sims4 now suffers by comparison.

So I hope people who have become disillusioned with Sims4 and are even more reluctant about Sims5 (as am I) will check out the comparison videos out there on Youtube made recently by many avid Sims Youtubers, showing all the ways that Sims3 actually beats Sims4, and get Sims3 from Origin. With my laptop (and it's nothing that snazzy, it's a Dell from like 2014) I can run Sims3 with like 8 packs installed and tons of CC without problems. Also all of Sims4, but I barely touch it now. Take advantage of modern PCs being more than a match for Sims3 now and get a robust game for a reasonable price that still has Sims who do things on their own (but there's a slider for that, so you can still micromanage or play god), that still has surprises, a sense of humor, even mods for skin textures and facial features that make them blow away the Sims of Sims4 (though I haven't bothered with those, I've seen the breathtaking Sims of some people here who have).

I pooh-poohed the colorwheel, the ability to customize colors, textures, materials, and patterns on everything, and so on, til I tried them and now realize the value of it. Sims3 also doesn't constantly go through mod-breaking updates. So that's my answer to the prospect of Sims5: Sims3 has all the game I need.

Sims 3 used to go through mod-breaking updates when it was being updated; but I agree that it's nice not to have to re-download updated mods every month. Mandatory updates have kept me from playing TS4 several times, because I just didn't feel like reinstalling mods.

I've always been a big TS3 fan, but I've also usually had a pretty powerful computer. TS3 isn't very efficient, and back when TS3 was the main Sims game, normal computers sometimes had trouble running it. That turned off a lot of people. Now normal computers are way more powerful than even the best computers when TS3 was new, and run the game great even with all of the packs. It's also very buggy; and (at least in my opinion) needs the NRaas mods to work properly long term. That's all now stable and works great, but back when TS3 was new, sometimes those fixes didn't yet fix things very well.

All of that makes for an interesting situation where TS3 is now a fantastic gaming experience; and better than when it was new. The only thing I enjoy more in TS4 is the ability of the characters to multitask. I like everything else better in TS3, including the graphics (that's very subjective though).
  • BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    The Sims team must be completely tone deaf if they think fans want TS5 to be online. If TS5 is online I'm not getting it.

As others have stated, The Sims is a game where you can live in your bubble and have your own story, do things your way, without having to interact with others. I don't wanna socialize when I play The Sims.

The Sims main line (TS1, 2, 3, 4) should remain singleplayer as it's always been, or else it isn't the same game.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited June 2021
    If you have the old disks for Sims 3 why not try to redeem the game in Origin? I did and found I got all my old packs back without paying again for them after only redeeming the first one. I did this some years ago but it all might have been changed since then.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »

Sims 3 used to go through mod-breaking updates when it was being updated; but I agree that it's nice not to have to re-download updated mods every month. Mandatory updates have kept me from playing TS4 several times, because I just didn't feel like reinstalling mods.

I've always been a big TS3 fan, but I've also usually had a pretty powerful computer. TS3 isn't very efficient, and back when TS3 was the main Sims game, normal computers sometimes had trouble running it. That turned off a lot of people. Now normal computers are way more powerful than even the best computers when TS3 was new, and run the game great even with all of the packs. It's also very buggy; and (at least in my opinion) needs the NRaas mods to work properly long term. That's all now stable and works great, but back when TS3 was new, sometimes those fixes didn't yet fix things very well.

All of that makes for an interesting situation where TS3 is now a fantastic gaming experience; and better than when it was new. The only thing I enjoy more in TS4 is the ability of the characters to multitask. I like everything else better in TS3, including the graphics (that's very subjective though).

The biggest problem with TS3 is that it's built with the same engine that ran TS2, which by the end of TS2 days was getting very old and incredibly outdated.
    Which in turn hampered TS3 midway through it's lifespan because it just couldn't keep up with what the team was trying to do with the game. Idk about anyone else, but Island Paradise was nearly unplayable for me. With so much lag and pathing errors, it was a nightmare trying to get it to run. In the end, my old midrange laptop just couldn't keep up with it.

It's a shame that they pretty much hampered TS3 by building it in the old TS2 engine, but as they say, hindsight is 20/20. XD
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

The biggest problem with TS3 is that it's built with the same engine that ran TS2, which by the end of TS2 days was getting very old and incredibly outdated.
    Which in turn hampered TS3 midway through it's lifespan because it just couldn't keep up with what the team was trying to do with the game. Idk about anyone else, but Island Paradise was nearly unplayable for me. With so much lag and pathing errors, it was a nightmare trying to get it to run. In the end, my old midrange laptop just couldn't keep up with it.

It's a shame that they pretty much hampered TS3 by building it in the old TS2 engine, but as they say, hindsight is 20/20. XD

And still...even with hindsight, they failed to make TS4 an actual simulation game. I mean...how the heck do you go from simulation game to just a build mode and CAS and forget about the rest of the game. Without mods this game is literally stand around and talk.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Somehow I just saw this thread. I'm really not interested in a multi-player MMO. I'm very likely to be out at that point. While I could see that it might be a little bit fun to, say, play with some of you on here a little bit, I'm still really not interested in the multiplayer format. I do think they would reach some types of gamers I know who like having multiplayer parties with friends but that's not me.

I'd take an open world but it isn't a deal breaker for me right now. By that, I mean that I think that of course TS5 would need an open world to move beyond TS4. I don't need it so much that I'd join an MMO.

I just really don't want to play an avatar in a virtual community with increasing micro-transactions, that's really not what I'm about.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

And still...even with hindsight, they failed to make TS4 an actual simulation game. I mean...how the heck do you go from simulation game to just a build mode and CAS and forget about the rest of the game. Without mods this game is literally stand around and talk.

Different development teams and director change is all I can say to that, proof that killing the golden goose is just bad for a franchise and reflects badly on the company. Shame EA will never learn. I guess the team wanted to blow people away with CaS and Build Mode that they just forgot about the rest, which is a shame. :-/
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I think so many of the TS4 players started using mods very early on and have completely forgotten how bad the vanilla game actually plays out.
    It is literally musical chairs and yak, yak, yak still today.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited June 2021
    There’s one area with constant connection I overlooked.
    Sometimes you can’t open Origin at all. Often after a patch update but other times it won’t load and you can’t access you game library.

Today it’s taken me an hour to log into my gaming account. It’s not happened for ages even with the last update. The only thing I’ve noticed is that I can’t play offline directly. I get the ‘that didn’t work and reconnect to solve’. So I have to play a bit online, exit, go offline then reopen Sims.

Because I had to uninstall and reinstall Origin today because it wouldn’t open at all, I’ve had to replace my all command lines. 😭😭😭.

They would need to sort out these connectivity issues as what happens to game data if Origin can’t load? Next time you go on you must uninstall and reinstall etc.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
    How can Sims 5 sound worse every day if we don't know anything about it yet? This whole thread is supposition isn't it?
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited June 2021
    Simburian wrote: »
    How can Sims 5 sound worse every day if we don't know anything about it yet? This whole thread is supposition isn't it?

For me I’m just curious how this next game will work as Sims 4 has been so buggy. Sims is very important to me so I love the fact other people discuss it. Most of my family and friends don’t. 🙄

I’m sure EA must be looking at online play as it’s big business. I play several online games and require constant connection - you need to manage your time away etc. Some packs to boost your level etc are expensive. It’s very lucrative.
    If Sims 5 were along those lines I would be worried.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think so many of the TS4 players started using mods very early on and have completely forgotten how bad the vanilla game actually plays out.

This is absolutely me. I tried Sims 4 once about two years ago, base game, and played for a few days before I just got completely bored and forgot all about it. About a year later when the pandemic started, I tried it again and at that time discovered MCCC and many other mods. At this point, I have a blast with this game and it's nearly perfect for me. But I do forget sometimes that if I didn't have all those mods, there is no way I would be playing it. No credit to the game itself really.

My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
    edited June 2021
    Simburian wrote: »

On page one of this thread, which was started April 30th, there is a link to an interview which started the speculation. Here is another article, which refers near the end to the source of these multiplayer/online speculation and rumors: https://www.techradar.com/news/the-sims-5-news-multiplayer-rumors-and-everything-we-know

Nothing is known for sure but this thread is full of people hoping that this is not the direction they are taking with TS5.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member

This isn‘t true. Everything about TS3 was brand new.

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    GirafHuntr wrote: »

This is absolutely me. I tried Sims 4 once about two years ago, base game, and played for a few days before I just got completely bored and forgot all about it. About a year later when the pandemic started, I tried it again and at that time discovered MCCC and many other mods. At this point, I have a blast with this game and it's nearly perfect for me. But I do forget sometimes that if I didn't have all those mods, there is no way I would be playing it. No credit to the game itself really.

I just tried playing without mods and lasted 6 days. It was awful and boring. But on the other side of that. I hate the update schedule and updating all the mods. I am trying to use the bare minimum.

I just tried playing without mods and lasted 6 days. It was awful and boring. But on the other side of that. I hate the update schedule and updating all the mods. I am trying to use the bare minimum.

I basically have them sorted into categories. There are only three mods that I can't live without, that are so tied into my gameplay that being without them wouldn't work. So when there are updates, I just have to make sure that those ones are good. Some of the less regularly updated ones I can remove until they're updated. But yeah, it is a lot of maintenance. It's turned me into a total geek in the sense that I can lose hours researching and maintaining them.
    edited June 2021
    Nevermind
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2021

I basically have them sorted into categories. There are only three mods that I can't live without, that are so tied into my gameplay that being without them wouldn't work. So when there are updates, I just have to make sure that those ones are good. Some of the less regularly updated ones I can remove until they're updated. But yeah, it is a lot of maintenance. It's turned me into a total geek in the sense that I can lose hours researching and maintaining them.

This is what I don't understand. Many snob TS3 because they say it needs so many mods to make it perform better and or even playable in regards to cleaning up it's system and controlling the Story Progression etc. and so many other mods for other things. TS3 players do (did when patched) a heck of a lot of maintenance on their game. It is what drove some players to TS4..and yet they turn around and do a heck of a lot of maintenance for TS4. I don't get it. One is as bad as the other if all that maintaining is necessary. But TS3 gets a very bad rep and TS4 gets a pass. While I rarely do any maintaining to TS2 at all. lol I might have to delete cache files once in awhile and that's it. And I use several mods that could break the game, but don't.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

This is what I don't understand. Many snob TS3 because they say it needs so many mods to make it perform better and or even playable in regards to cleaning up it's system and controlling the Story Progression etc. and so many other mods for other things. TS3 players do (did when patched) a heck of a lot of maintenance on their game. It is what drove some players to TS4..and yet they turn around and do a heck of a lot of maintenance for TS4. I don't get it. One is as bad as the other if all that maintaining is necessary. But TS3 gets a very bad rep and TS4 gets a pass. While I rarely do any maintaining to TS2 at all. lol I might have to delete cache files once in awhile and that's it. And I use several mods that could break the game, but don't.

I agree, there is a double-standard here. Though I don't think TS3 is as bad as TS4, because - come one! - TS3 had already finished its run so that the Maxis devs no longer fix any outstanding bugs to update it. It's the loyal TS3 fanbase that maintains it now. Meanwhile, TS4 is still being worked on by the Maxis devs and yet is far worse in terms of bugs (a pile which is ever-growing I might add) and continuing lack of meaningful gameplay.

TS2 does have much less bugs, I agree with that. I literally use ONE mod and that's just to fix shadows on TS2 running in my new laptop. I might use one more mod to prevent either witch from appearing at community lots, but I will see how their presence affects the game in this new laptop.

It also needs to be pointed out that TS2 was built from TS1 so the devs had many more years to bang out the bugs of that game engine by the time TS2's run was complete. TS3 and TS4 were entirely built from two completely new game engines.

Still, I really love TS3. The game flow is so much better on that one and there are no time and needs disparities whenever any sims leave their home lots. I also really love that I can manage everyone in my active household at the same time, no matter where they are in the world, together or apart.

edited June 2021

This isn‘t true. Everything about TS3 was brand new.

This Jake Simpson? He should know. Nice to see he's still interested in Sims!
    https://www.pcgamer.com/sims-2-developer-says-simlish-is-gibberish-goes-on-to-explain-why-they-dont-have-threesomes/

There's a fantastic twitter thread starting here....
    @Cinebar and @ClarionOfJoy I never got into TS3, I pretty much skipped that. I absolutely adored TS2, it was the exact game I wanted my whole life. Unfortunately I can no longer access it, and I miss it dearly. I tried TS3 when it was new and I didn't really like the way it looked, plus in the beginning there wasn't any way to play rotationally and I just wasn't interested in the playstyle. I know that later, with mods and changes in the game, there were lots of rotational players but by then I was doing grad school and keeping really busy. I came to TS4 more recently and that was when I got involved in mods. So I can't really speak to the double standard here, but I definitely notice there is some vehement defending of TS3 by those who love it.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    @Cinebar and @ClarionOfJoy I never got into TS3, I pretty much skipped that. I absolutely adored TS2, it was the exact game I wanted my whole life. Unfortunately I can no longer access it, and I miss it dearly. I tried TS3 when it was new and I didn't really like the way it looked, plus in the beginning there wasn't any way to play rotationally and I just wasn't interested in the playstyle. I know that later, with mods and changes in the game, there were lots of rotational players but by then I was doing grad school and keeping really busy. I came to TS4 more recently and that was when I got involved in mods. So I can't really speak to the double standard here, but I definitely notice there is some vehement defending of TS3 by those who love it.

Actually, every time someone posts any inaccurate information about TS3, it gives me an opportunity to point out all the true and wonderful things about it instead. It results in readers wanting to try out TS3 even more after they find out what great stuff it actually has - it's not the OP I'm actually trying to reach. So yeah, in truth, I rather like these opportunities to help people get to know more about TS3! It doesn't bother me at all. <3o:)

I agree, there is a double-standard here. Though I don't think TS3 is as bad as TS4, because - come one! - TS3 had already finished its run so that the Maxis devs no longer fix any outstanding bugs to update it. It's the loyal TS3 fanbase that maintains it now. Meanwhile, TS4 is still being worked on by the Maxis devs and yet is far worse in terms of bugs (a pile which is ever-growing I might add) and continuing lack of meaningful gameplay.

TS2 does have much less bugs, I agree with that. I literally use ONE mod and that's just to fix shadows on TS2 running in my new laptop. I might use one more mod to prevent either witch from appearing at community lots, but I will see how their presence affects the game in this new laptop.

It also needs to be pointed out that TS2 was built from TS1 so the devs had many more years to bang out the bugs of that game engine by the time TS2's run was complete. TS3 and TS4 were entirely built from two completely new game engines.

Still, I really love TS3. The game flow is so much better on that one and there are no time and needs disparities whenever any sims leave their home lots. I also really love that I can manage everyone in my active household at the same time, no matter where they are in the world, together or apart.

I was only going on from what I had heard form some other sims sources, my bad for not doing the research I guess. haha
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    Little Sim World probably won’t replace The Sims, and Paralives might not either. But I think it’s great that The Sims will have competition now. Maybe that’s why they are looking to hiring someone to do core upgrades on TS4. They are aware that other games are starting to cause players to take a look at them, even if they are still in development.

Did they hire someone to do core upgrades? I was going to say, how many more packs can this game handle before it really starts to lag. Sounds like they really do plan on going for a while if they plan on updating the core of the game.